What's on your mind?

Apoc

Looks like my wife's job interviews went well. Things are beginning to take shape. More updates on that when we hear something concrete. 

In the meantime, I'm trying to sell some paintings, hopefully it'll give us a bit of a boost. And I had a blast with my son yesterday - we walked by the water and stumbled on some cool parks, including this pretty amazing fountain/splash pad that had lots of nozzles in the pavement, arranged in what could have been a spiral or concentric circles, going off in different patterns at seemingly random intervals. All the kids there were going nuts. If getting sprayed with a garden hose is like getting shot with a shotgun, then this was like walking through a minefield. Highly entertaining. 

Edit - here's a pic that doesn't do the chaos enough justice...

20160509_163322.jpg

On 5/11/2016 at 0:30 AM, RelentlessOblivion said:

That's great on both fronts FA. Meanwhie I've been knocked back for 2 more jobs so still no luck. Also this weather sucks ass. Sun was out for about an hour so I started doing my washing. Then the rain hit and well it hasn't stopped yet.

I'll be frank, I don't want to leave NYC. I try to put a good face on it, but we're looking at a significant pay cut, potentially higher bills, and living pretty far away from the city we're ostensibly moving to. I'll be leaving sixteen years worth of friends from many different parts of my life. And we're saving money we don't really have to do it. If my wife wasn't desperate to leave NYC, this wouldn't even be an option for me. The bright side is, she'll be happier, and my son may have a chance to go to better schools; those things are good, but it's a bitter pill for me. 

Plus it'll be a lot harder to go see Krallice play. Wah fucking wah wah poor me...

Wasn't aware of that FA. Sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario then.

Man I have been so flat this week. Just no energy at all and I don't know why. Given that I'm cycling tomorrow and racing a bitch of a course Sunday this is the worst timing ever.

In better news I've reconnected with an old school friend I hadn't seen or spoken to in years. Hooray for social interaction.

59 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:  

At work today, we had a pallet of bone-in frozen goat carcass pieces on our dock, and I could think of nothing other than Ye Bloodfrozen Ice Goat.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

dee34536fdc0eb0a7f9f391259690c80.jpg

So A: congrats on getting a job, that's awesome news, and B: here ya go:

Thanks dude, I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm in a similar field, dealing with fewer, but larger shipments and a larger area, as opposed to a bunch of small shipments on a local scale. I'm also working with a great bunch of professionals for better pay with less hours, and my boss is one of the nicest and most genuine people I've ever met. Needless to say, the last job coming to an end might have been one of the biggest blessings in disguise of my whole life.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Wasn't aware of that FA. Sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario then.

Nothing I can do at this point but go with it! Just dealing with all the unpleasantness normally associated with moving.

It has picked up a bit around here, JFK, nice to see RO and BAN back on board. 

Great news BAN.

In job related news I screwed up my job interview on Friday by completely missing the red herring in the assessment that was a sheet of data. In the grand scheme of things it meant nothing to the actual core issue (role play) and I focused on it far too much in my four hour assessment. Still, I like my current job and there is no harm in trying, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Yeah took third place so I guess that's good. Of course now I'm 10 times sicker (and not in the good way). Spent pretty much the entire day in bed today, also spent post-race yesterday in bed and I'm still getting worse which is the real kick in the teeth.

Oh also faith in humanity destroyed after someone sent me this video:

Shit, dude, feel better. Hope you're getting some rest.

I'm happy for my wife, she talked her future employer up in pay a bit and it looks like we'll actually be able to afford to live where we're going. Going to check out some housing this coming weekend. Right now, I'm in the middle of recording a trial run of a new tune for a very old project that a friend and I might resurrect. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies