suggestions

A7X stoner ftw

I liked The Chasm's guitar work. It seemed a bit haphazardly put together, but that's not always a bad thing; I tend to prefer that to a tightly structured, boring pop-type song. I'll have to listen to more of their stuff. The Myrdraal song was too long and didn't really do anything I haven't heard before; the melodies were ok, the vocals were ok, the acoustic breaks were... ok. Taking band names from fantasy novels has always been funny to me, too. Here's something I want to offer, from some friends of mine in North Carolina - Atten Ash. I used to play with these guys in a black metal band. It's melodic, mid-paced doom with a nice mixture of clean vox and death growls. The drummer composed everything and, with the exception of the death metal vox and some lead guitars, performed everything himself. One talented guy! This is my favorite song off of their album "The Hourglass". HEi5SwGOEmA

I really liked that. The melodies were good, the clean passages didn't feel forced. The clean vocals wore thin after a while but that's really my only complaint. My submission Infinitum LuTxAwvBKKc Infinitum are another extreme metal band based in Canberra. They play a brand of technical death metal which, whilst not terribly original, is performed quite well (in my opinion).

Atten Ash was EXCELLENT. and this Infinitum band is pretty damn good as well. I'm quite surprised I haven't heard either of these bands before. Here's my next contribution: 2tm_1HZDUWo Rivers of Nihil. They've been around since 2009, but only just got signed last year, releasing their new album in October. I was damn surprised by the full length. I'd say its Technical/Blackened/Brutal Death Metal? hahaha theres a lot of different stuff going on.

Re: Let's Help Each Other Discover NEW BANDS.

My poor band must feel neglected :D surely they aren't that bad
Just got it to work on my phone, sounded good. Nice bass work, and I dug the guitar solo and vocals. The song seemed to drag a little, but it was worth it. Also, Obscure Sphinx is doing some cool stuff, I just wasn't that crazy about the vocals or the more repetitious riffs. The atmosphere was cool though, I loved the feeling of the clean break with the female vocals. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I liked the Atten Ash stuff (although I could hear very little of it; the audio cuts out at about 30 seconds through), sounded like November's Doom and that is always a good thing. 3P0 knows I already like Infinitum so I won't take up time talking about them. I'm not exactly holding my breath with regards to how well you all will take this, but here goes, anyway... This here is Threshold, the first progressive metal band I ever got into and they've been a strong favorite of mine ever since. The vocalist for this track and most of Threshold's work, Andrew MacDermott, is sadly deceased. However, Damian Wilson - who previously worked with Threshold during their early years - returned as an excellent replacement, in time for the album 'March Of Progress'. I have no idea why these guys aren't more renowned, their style is in my estimation simultaneously energetic, accessible and memorable, with some very good lyrics to match. Their song 'Long Way Home' remains my favorite metal song of all time. B1Xlj4-tiws

Re: Let's Help Each Other Discover NEW BANDS. Really dug Infinitum, it was surprisingly melodious for how convoluted it sounded on the surface. As RO said, not crazy original, but pretty well done. Nice. Wish I could say the same for Rivers of Nihil. There were parts that I enjoyed, especially when they took a breath and changed things up, but the riffs and vocals were a bit too slam/deathcore to me in places. Not bad, but not something I would reach for. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

BAN, I would recommend checking out Rivers of Nihil's music video for (Sin)chronos then, it's an older song, but i personally think it's pretty sweet. That or their song Airless. Inceni, Threshold reminds me of a mix between Children of Bodom, Dream Theater, and some 80's heavy metal. I strangely dig this.

Re: Let's Help Each Other Discover NEW BANDS.

BAN, I would recommend checking out Rivers of Nihil's music video for (Sin)chronos then, it's an older song, but i personally think it's pretty sweet. That or their song Airless. Inceni, Threshold reminds me of a mix between Children of Bodom, Dream Theater, and some 80's heavy metal. I strangely dig this.
Really? I wonder if we heard the same Threshold song, it just sounded like melodic rock/metal with a James LaBrie imitator of vocals, I'm not sure what about it was supposed to be progressive. It didn't do it for me at all, not to say that it was bad, I was just completely disinterested the whole time it was playing. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Really? I wonder if we heard the same Threshold song' date=' it just sounded like melodic rock/metal with a James LaBrie imitator of vocals, I'm not sure what about it was supposed to be progressive. It didn't do it for me at all, not to say that it was bad, I was just completely disinterested the whole time it was playing.[/quote'] Muh, I'm just thankful you weren't actively annoyed. That's about the best reaction I can hope for with regards to any of the non-death-metal I listen to. If that's the case I suspect you wouldn't be all that drawn by their other work. I try to post songs that are fairly archetypal of the band's discography. As for what was progressive - it's difficult for me to properly describe it but there are some melodies that sound proggy to me even if they're not particularly hard to play. It would be easier for me to explain if I were a competent musician and knew a little about theory. They're certainly not Age Of Silence, but they seemed to have a small Queensryche influence. Maybe I'm misplacing it. That reminds me, I should show you lot Magnitude 9, I keep forgetting to.

That's really strange, I went out of my way to choose a song that I thought had a decent amount of variety. The interesting thing is that that album was by far their most boring. Doesn't matter, I still enjoy it and I think it's plenty interesting. Maybe I should have gone with 'Phenomenon' instead, that was the song that got me into Threshold in the first place. I also didn't realize - just found out now - that it was the live version, which is a lot less energetic. Darn. Didn't care for Lost Society but then thrash generally bores me so that's not much of a surprise. Red Fang was fairly monotonous and played a style I didn't care for from the outset anyway. Cancer Bats was by far the most engaging, high energy but kind of repetitive vocally. Anyhow, here goes with something hopefully less boring. Psychotic Waltz are another prog group, this time from San Diego. Their music is fairly old school, based in heavy and thrash metal, but they blend the influences in such a way as to defy my general dislike for both genres. ROhf7t0-W_s

Ok. I am the absolute worst when it comes to describing what I'm listening to. I wish I could. I suppose its my achilies heel so any attempt would be embarassing and nothing short of unintelligible rambling. With that said, these guys are my new fav find. They're a prog DM group from Sweden. Kind of the likes of Opeth....I think Descend - In Hours of Despair another link - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2MlMf-cfU5E

I liked that, Mere! Could definitely hear a HUGE Opeth influence from about halfway through, onward - I like Opeth and it had some parts that were almost a ripoff, which I'm ambivalent about, but it was very well-done. No-one here will be surprised to hear me say I don't like the production. It's a little too slick and "modern metal" sounding for my taste. But, I'll listen to some more of their stuff for sure.

I liked that' date=' Mere! Could definitely hear a HUGE Opeth influence from about halfway through, onward - I like Opeth and it had some parts that were almost a ripoff, which I'm ambivalent about, but it was very well-done. No-one here will be surprised to hear me say I don't like the production. It's a little too slick and "modern metal" sounding for my taste. But, I'll listen to some more of their stuff for sure.[/quote'] You might actually find other stuff from that album a little more to your liking :)

Ok, here's my contribution for the day, inspired by the "metalcore" conversations. This is spastic grind/hardcore from Rhode Island; some of these guys went on to form Daughters. Some odd angular melodies scattered throughout, and breakdowns that don't sound like they were ripped off from Meshuggah. I have no idea if any of you will dig this, but I think these guys are great. ktfTzK848yo

Ok' date=' here's my contribution for the day, inspired by the "metalcore" conversations. This is spastic grind/hardcore from Rhode Island; some of these guys went on to form Daughters. Some odd angular melodies scattered throughout, and breakdowns that don't sound like they were ripped off from Meshuggah. I have no idea if any of you will dig this, but I think these guys are great.[/quote'] That was actually fairly enjoyable. The vocals weren't quite to my tastes but didn't really bug me either. The acoustic passages seemed a little out of place, but the dissonance and drumming was captivating. I'm just curious what makes this grind or hardcore, because it sounds better than most of what I've heard from either genre.