What Are You Listening To?

khaos

35 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

There's yer problem.

Sour beer is the only beer I hate.

Alright now this is starting to make sense, I didn't realize you were talking abut sours either. Don't remember anyone saying anything about sours, we were talking about the hugely popular IPAs and how a lot of them have that citrusy after-taste that I personally don't care for. They're drinkable in a pinch, and some are better than others, but I don't seek them out.

Now sours are a completely different story. When a bunch of us went to the Metal Threat festival at Reggie's in Chicago back in July '19, one of our mates who happened to be from the windy city took us all (wasn't his shout but he suggested the place) to this burger joint called Kuma's Corner that had all of their burgers named after various rock and metal bands. And they had shitloads of different beers on tap. I made the mistake of ordering one of those sours since I'd never tried one before. I took one sip and almost spit it back out, had to flag down the chick to take it away and bring me something else. Never again, that was truly some nasty shit. Don't know how the normies can even pretend to like it man.

You don't really say "blimey" in real life do ya Doc? That was just for poetic effect, right?

NP: Engulfed - Unearthly Litanies of Despair, Turkish death

1 minute ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Probably more along the lines of naming one terrible black metal band

Fruity Beer is actually the name of my favourite BM band.

Just now, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Now on this doll, please point and show us where that terrible bad evil sick twisted black metal man hurt you.

mayhem.jpg

Just there ^

22 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Well James, I bought a new fridge, so I resolved the compressor issue that way. Had a local guy come out and replace the compressor's electric harness for $190, and it got cold again, but that fix only lasted 2 or 3 days before it got warm inside there again. But the whole shopping experience was quite frustrating. The dead fridge I had purchased 2 and a half years previously was backordered for two months, so I went with the next one down which was essentially the exact same fridge just 3 cubic feet smaller, same depth, 3" less width. I needed the same brand GE because I got all the appliances in the matching slate color and only GE offers that. But for some unknown reason the smaller fridge costs $300 more than the larger one, $1,900 vs $1,600! That's even crazier than southern metal from Turkey! I thought about waiting the two months to get the bigger cheaper one but I was so damn sick of running out for ice every other day and I was losing tons of food that kept getting waterlogged as the ice melted. Anyway it's here and done now, and it's cold, and I've stopped throwing so much food away, so it's all good. Only problem now is I can't level it. I have the back feet screwed all the way up and the front feet unscrewed all the way down and it's still tilted forward so we had to put 3/4" wooden blocks under the front feet just so the two veggie drawers won't slide open every time I open my fridge. But that's what happens in a 150 year old house that's got trees for floor joists, nothing's square, level or plumb here.

I've just had dinner and spent 3 hours simplifying fractions with the kid, but now he's in bed so back to Accept. I listened to this one earlier but never posted it, probably the heaviest Accept album I've ever heard, pretty cool tbh. I hadn't realized when UDO left in '87 that he'd come back again for a few more years in the 90's.

Accept - Death Row, 1994

Alright bro you've convinced me, Blood of the Nations is shall be. My problem right off the bat though is that this isn't Accept, it's just some generic heavy metal band doing their version of Accept. Even though the first song's chorus conjures up memories of "Wrong is Right" off Metal Heart and the solos are clearly Wolf's work. I'm afraid when it's all said and done at the end of the day I'm gonna have to be one of those No Udo = No Accept hardliners. This is another reason why I go more for the extreme metal where the vocalists can tend to be more interchangeable. 

P.S. halfway through now I can see why you'd be into this generic heavy metal over early Accept, it's catchy and well done and maybe just a wee bit heavier than old Accept. Some of the songs are even pretty cool, (or at least better than what you typically expect to get from later era Maiden or Priest or Megastaine) it's just not triggering my nostalgia for 1982 R&W era Accept, which was the Accept I grew up with.

3655b5_cc87d95d7a704e62b526527624b599fd~

Good evening, my friend!  Ah, I'm sorry to hear that the shopping experience was a frustrating one.  And I'm at a loss for why the smaller fridge would cost $300 more than the larger one - but then again, there's a lot that I don't understand in this world.  I work in sales in the mobile and modular home business, and the way that contractors' prices continue rising, I'm often left wondering where it will all end up.

And hey, that's totally cool that modern Accept isn't your thing.  I think it's way cool that you gave it a chance, and I'm glad to hear that you can at least arrive at the assessment that some of the songs are cool and are well done.  "Death Row" (1994) is actually one of the Udo-era albums that I have, and I enjoy it quite a bit!  It's definitely pretty heavy and aggressive.  I wish the production was a bit better, but that's only a minor complaint.  I'd say "Teutonic Terror", "The Abyss", "Pandemic" (eerily titled in hindsight, given that this album was released a decade before the whole COVID mess hit), and "No Shelter" are my favorite tracks from the mighty "Blood of the Nations", but the entire album is without a single weakness in my book.  

Today, I've been listening to "Blind Rage" (2014) and "The Rise of Chaos" (2017), getting prepared for the release of "Humanoid" in a little over a week!  This is my second most anticipated album of 2024, only behind the new Judas Priest album, and only slightly ahead of the new Saxon album.  

But that's what makes this forum a blast to be a part of.  So many different sub-genre tastes, with a fair amount of overlap for sure, make it a worthwhile endeavor to interact with my fellow metalheads, get recommendations, and enjoy the world of heavy music.  

P.S.  I'm forever indebted to you for making me aware of Ritual Carnage.  What a killer band!

36 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Actually I do. And so does my son.

You're shittin' me!!

That's crazy. I honestly thought they only said silly shit like that in the movies. Did you pick that up when you lived in the UK, or is it common for Aussies to use that particular exclamation? I was down under for 5 weeks and never heard anyone say that. But of course I spent most of that time with Kiwis and the foreigners in Olympic Park when I'd take the tyke for walks in the stroller (pram) over by the big fountains just to get the hell out of that damned apartment for awhile. 

NP: Diocletian - Doom Cult, NZ 2008

Rotpit - Let There Be Rot, death metal Sweden/Germany 2023

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

That's crazy. I honestly thought they only said silly shit like that in the movies. Did you pick that up when you lived in the UK, or is it common for Aussies to use that particular exclamation?

I probably did pick it up in the UK and I probably started saying it ironically or to mock them. I've been saying it for so long that I forget. Here, it's probably just me and the son - who used to put on a Sarf London accent when he was a teenager just for fun. There is no end to the mystery of Thatguy.

NP - BLOODMIST - Trace. Despite the name, this is not metal at all.

56 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I probably did pick it up in the UK and I probably started saying it ironically or to mock them. I've been saying it for so long that I forget. Here, it's probably just me and the son - who used to put on a Sarf London accent when he was a teenager just for fun. There is no end to the mystery of Thatguy.

No need to explain Doc, I do that shit too and I'm no teenager, and I've never even been across the pond to London. I'm pretty sure me 'orrible faux English, Aussie and Kiwi accents are all basically the same one, but in my mind I know which is which when I'm doing them. For the Aussie one I just say "Good eye might" a lot, and the Kiwi one is all 'how ya goin' and everything is 'sweet as.' The Bri-ish one I just leave out the T's and substitute F's or V's for all the TH sounds and say bruv and bloody 'ell and wanker a lot. My Irish and Scots accents are different than my UK-OZ-Kiwi one, but even worse if that's possible. Those two are pretty much interchangeable as well. They basically both entail saying 'fook' a lot and for the Scots one everything is fooking cunt this and fooking cunt that. I mostly do it around the house when no one special's around but it keeps me amused.

Nogothula - Telluric Sepsis, black/death Cincinnati, Ohio

20 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

No need to explain Doc, I do that shit too and I'm no teenager, and I've never even been across the pond to London. I'm pretty sure me 'orrible faux English, Aussie and Kiwi accents are all basically the same one, but in my mind I know which is which when I'm doing them. For the Aussie one I just say "Good eye might" a lot, and the Kiwi one is all 'how ya goin' and everything is 'sweet as.' The Bri-ish one I just leave out the T's and substitute F's or V's for all the TH sounds and say bruv and bloody 'ell and wanker a lot. My Irish and Scots accents are different than my UK-OZ-Kiwi one, but even worse if that's possible. Those two are pretty much interchangeable as well. They basically both entail saying 'fook' a lot and for the Scots one everything is fooking cunt this and fooking cunt that. I mostly do it around the house when no one special's around but it keeps me amused.

It's mildly interesting (to me at least) that you Yanks go across the pond to London and we Aussies go across the ditch to New Zealand. Of course Kiwi's come across the dutch when they come here, but I think for both Kiwis and Aussies going to London or the US is just a fucking long way.

Xenophile - Systematic Enslavement (2016)

As a fan of Bay Area thrash and progressive metal, I had high hopes for this band when I discovered the monumental Systematic Enslavement. It had it all: Thrash as if we were in San Francisco, progressive, with a pinch of Nevermore.

Perfect for me.

For reasons unknown to me, the singer left to join an old band, Toxik, and even took part in their last album, Dis Morta in 2022.

And Xenophile split up in the process.

All that's left is this album and two singles.

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

It's mildly interesting (to me at least) that you Yanks go across the pond to London and we Aussies go across the ditch to New Zealand. Of course Kiwi's come across the dutch when they come here, but I think for both Kiwis and Aussies going to London or the US is just a fucking long way.

It is certainly a long god damned way. 10,000 miles. I've made the journey back and forth several times, I have to board a nearly 6 hour flight to the west coast then suffer the nearly 15 hour flight down to the netherworld of the southern hemisphere. It's not as bad on me physically going down as it is coming back for some reason, not sure why. 

The 2nd trans-Pacific flight leaves typically later in the evening, then they give you some shitty food once you level off at cruising altitude about 2 hours into the flight, and then they turn the cabin lights down low for 10 hours and you either sleep or you don't. I don't. Abut 90 minutes before you land they bring the lights up and offer you some shitty breakfast, and then everyone squeezes past each other in the aisles to make their little trips to the shit excuse for a bathroom, and prepares to land. Once on the ground the fun continues because they herd you down to baggage claim and then you have to wait in rope lines for 90 minutes to get through customs. There always seems to be a ton of flights landing right around the same time early in the morning local OZ/NZ time. The whole trip door to door is about 25 - 30 hours depending on how long of a layover you have between flights in LA or SF or Vancouver or Houston. And then you're standing there with your bags at what the locals think is 7am, but for me it's 3pm the day before and I was up all night the night before that, so I've been up for like 34 hours at that point. But it's only 7am for them so now I'll be up all day again until Ozzy nighttime comes around and it's time to go to bed, another 16 hours give or take. So yeah a trip to OZ means I'll have to stay up for 50 hours straight. But that's ok I can do that, I never sleep anyway, (it's 4:44am right now as I'm typing this). because I know that I'll finally be able to go to sleep at some point after 50 hours and then she'll be apples.

It's the return journey to the states that messes me up real bad. That flight leaves OZ in the mid afternoon, call it noon. 14 hour flight back to California, landing 2am Aussie time, but it's 9am the day before in California, still 3 hours before I even got on the fucking plane. A few hour layover (could be 3 hours, could be 6 hours, we'll call it 4 hours) in that shithole of an airport, (LA is the worst) then a 5.5 hour flight back to NY. Takes 90 minutes to find the bags and drive home. Walk in the door about 11pm local NY time, but my body thinks it's 1pm the next day, I'm wide awake can't sleep.  

Yeah it's a cunt of a trip, you're not missing out Vic. America's basically just like OZ anyway except we don't have the funny accents, the weather's a bit cooler (depending where you're going, if you're going to Florida to see Navy it's hot as balls just like back home) and everything's just a bit dingier & dirtier. And god forbid if you have to go to the doctor while you're here without insurance you're royally fucked.