What Are You Listening To?

khaos

14 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Dieth - To Hell And Back

Gotta say man, I despised this. I realize there's always going to be a discrepancy between what the general herd thinks represents extreme metal and the random outliers being cantankerous and seemingly not liking anything, but goddamn this album sounded supremely lazy and ineffective from the basic designed for radio single (something serpent something or other) to the rest of them. The whole bloody thing was flat, unimaginative, and safe.

NP Dominus Sathanas - The Black Hordes of Lucifer

▶︎ DOMINUS SATHANAS - The Black Hordes of Lucifer | BlackcrowneD Records (bandcamp.com)

a2740690180_10.jpg

There's that Venom influence I was looking for. Somewhat less punk (and more on beat, but that's a low bar to clear) than Venom, but the spirit's there.

2 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Gotta say man, I despised this. I realize there's always going to be a discrepancy between what the general herd thinks represents extreme metal and the random outliers being cantankerous and seemingly not liking anything, but goddamn this album sounded supremely lazy and ineffective from the basic designed for radio single (something serpent something or other) to the rest of them. The whole bloody thing was flat, unimaginative, and safe.

There is a couple of songs on it that I skip and (without any hard evidence) I think there was some of the lyrics written as a kind of 'fuck you' to Dave Mustaine and the media. It's definitely not an album I listen to often but I don't mind a few of the songs now and again.

5 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

There is a couple of songs on it that I skip and (without any hard evidence) I think there was some of the lyrics written as a kind of 'fuck you' to Dave Mustaine and the media. It's definitely not an album I listen to often but I don't mind a few of the songs now and again.

Well Mustaine was never known for his even temperament. At this point he's responsible for making just as much bad Megadeth as good Megadeth, and burning every bridge he crossed along the way. That ratio doesn't look to reverse in the future either.

NP: Slakpest - We All Shall Fall

▶︎ We All Shall Fall | Slaktpest | Salute Records (bandcamp.com)

a0576625652_10.jpg

Cool. The label made sure to emphatically state at the bottom of the bandcamp page that there is no website for this band, which is something of a headscratcher. I can understand the counter-mainstream attitude, and nobody's saying you have to employ a whole pr manager, but not even an MA page seems a bit much. Eh. Music's pretty good. Seems like it was recorded and mastered over a number of years so the production values being a bit different from track to track makes sense.

12 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Well Mustaine was never known for his even temperament. At this point he's responsible for making just as much bad Megadeth as good Megadeth, and burning every bridge he crossed along the way. That ratio doesn't look to reverse

Jnr was obviously pissed off he got fired and maybe he was justified, but the world does not need a song like Don't Get Made Get Even. If you're going to write a song about being pissed off make it a decent song Don't Get Mad is terrible and Jnr showing off the sticker on his guitar in the film clip just makes him look petty and immature. Maybe he learnt that much of Snr.

Hate Eternal - Live at the Garage, London June 4th 2006. I, Monarch would've been their most recent at the time. It's hard live as a 3-piece to sound full and complete with only one guitarist who keeps stopping to play extended solos. They do an alright job though. Not sure who the drummer is here, M-A says it should have been Derek Roddy up to 2006, but Youtube comments suggest it was someone else who was filling in while they were in between drummers. 

Deicide - Deicide, Tampa FLA 1990. Never got the hype over this band, or Hate Eternal either, but I'm giving them both another shot tonight. Deicide's greatest downfall is definitely Glen's vocals. Not a fan. But the band can play, although the song writing is nothing to crow about imo. If they could just muzzle Benton and have Rutan sing on this music it might not have been half bad. Rutan's vocals are probably the best thing about HE. Either way early Master blows early Deicide out of the water. Which come to think of it is what I probably should be listening to instead of this crap.

Master - Master, Chicago 1990. Yes this is more like it. I think a large part of Deicide's popularity is mostly because Benton's an animated caricature of a satanic death metal front-man with the inverted cross branding, and the outrageous statements that have garnered some low-key publicity. While Speckmann just plays music. I'll take the first two Master albums over the first two Deicides any day.

39 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Critical Defiance - The Search Wont Fall

Fuck! I thought there was something seriously fucking weird going on with the last three songs. There was extra instruments and shit that shouldn't have been there. Then in the last song started hearing an instrumental of Hotel California. It was then I realise the cooking videos I was looking at had sound and YT wasn't muted! Sounds much better without YT

NP: Carpet Bomb - Awaken Terror

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

Fuck! I thought there was something seriously fucking weird going on with the last three songs. There was extra instruments and shit that shouldn't have been there. Then in the last song started hearing an instrumental of Hotel California. It was then I realise the cooking videos I was looking at had sound and YT wasn't muted! Sounds much better without YT

😆Ha. I think we've all done that once or twice, but you got through at least two songs? Did you think the band had fallen off the deep end and gone full experimental modernism John Cage on everyone? That's actually really funny. I can see something like that causing some one's great grandparent to stroke.

Disclaimer: Don't be offended. I know you're not foolish, but that really is funny to me.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Master - Master, Chicago 1990. Yes this is more like it. I think a large part of Deicide's popularity is mostly because Benton's an animated caricature of a satanic death metal front-man with the inverted cross branding, and the outrageous statements that have garnered some low-key publicity. While Speckmann just plays music. I'll take the first two Master albums over the first two Deicides any day.

Agreed. The self titled Master album deserves it's vaunted place in the history books. Deicide to me, can be pretty good, but you're right about the attention seeking. I feel really split about them. On just a strictly musical level they're a little above average, especially for how long they've been around. Benton is the textbook definition of what a lot of people would call a tryhard though.

Future of Despair - S/T, hardcore/crust LA

Dishönor - Chain Reaction, Mass Extinction EP, Greek d-beat/crust

Dishönor - S/T, 2019, this kills if you're into this sort of thing. But I know most of you don't mess with the hardcore based stuff.

17 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Agreed. The self titled Master album deserves it's vaunted place in the history books. Deicide to me, can be pretty good, but you're right about the attention seeking. I feel really split about them. On just a strictly musical level they're a little above average, especially for how long they've been around. Benton is the textbook definition of what a lot of people would call a tryhard though.

I don't even care about the tryhard part, I'm able to ignore all of that nonsense, just stay above the fray. From a purely musical standpoint though I just don't like them, and I think they're boring. I haven't heard too many of their later albums, think I've heard about 5 of their 13 altogether so not quite half, but not a single note off of any their last 5. But judging by the first several that are supposed to be the best ones they're really just nothing special. And the worst part of their sound is Satan boy's vocals. For me anyway. Nothing worse than a vocalist who rubs you the wrong way splattered all over the top of everything. Not like you can just tune him out. So many better death metal bands out there to listen to, but there's a certain segment of the old school guys who absolutely revere them.

20 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

😆Ha. I think we've all done that once or twice, but you got through at least two songs? Did you think the band had fallen off the deep end and gone full experimental modernism John Cage on everyone? That's actually really funny. I can see something like that causing some one's great grandparent to stroke.

Disclaimer: Don't be offended. I know you're not foolish, but that really is funny to me.

I thought I had the tab muted because I couldn't hear any voices or noises one might associate with a cooking video. At first I just thought the band had gone silly and maybe tried to be funny or something because it was just weird music at a lower volume than the song. But when Hotel California kicked in I really thought I was going silly.

Don't worry it's funny to me too. I'm just glad I picked it up before talking to others about how fucking ridiculous the end of their new album and then wondering what I was talking about.

NP: SIC - Spastics Inflicting Carnage.