What Are You Listening To?

khaos

1 hour ago, markm said:

@GoatmasterGeneral, I wouldn't say Painkiller sucks and seems to be a perennial favorite for millennials (not statistically accurate, but I know it's true), so I threw it in amongst their top tier albums. For us Gen-X and definitely boomers, their great albums clearly span '76 (Sad Wings) to '84 (Defenders). but man peeps love them some Painkiller. It was pretty obviously an attempt to bring in some thrash/speed influence.  

You know that for me the 'good' Preest albums don't start coming 'til Hellbent in '78.

There's no thrash in sight on Painkiller, and just because they added a little speed metal doesn't make it good. Maybe if they had gotten a better vocalist it could have been decent? 

Painkiller - Judas Priest cover, it's little girl metal is what it is. Nothing wrong with that though, little girls need their metal too! The little one on the left is gonna have a career as a vocalist/front woman, of this I have no doubt.

Audrey & Kate - Angel of Death - Slayer cover. Shit now you've got me started...I could watch these all day

Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction - guitar & bass cover...Except as she grows up it turns out she really can't sing. No problem, she can always be a black metal vocalist.

NP:

Fulci - Tropical Sun. Still loving this. Just a blasting album. The only thing I dislike is the occasional "whee-whee-whee" vocal thing. Otherwise solid af.

Skeletal Remains - Fragments of the Ageless. I admit, this one is growing on me. Gets better and better with more listens.

Also enjoying the 2 new Deicide songs. Looking forward to their new one!

I had always wondered how numerous the anti-Painkiller crowd was among Priest fans. I knew they were out there, but that album came about at the point where they were largely viewed as one of many quickly aging bands of the old guard and without much relevance. It was also a weird time for metal in general. If you weren't into the extreme stuff Painkiller was probably a breath of fresh air, but there's really no denying that everything on that album kicks the theatricality up a notch or two. It still sounds like Priest, but not in the way that anybody in the eighties would have sounded like Priest. I personally really like the album even if the title track and Between The Hammer And The Anvil never really caught me like Nightcrawler or Leather Rebel did. I've also been told that thinking Sad Wings of Destiny is middling when placed alongside the rest of their catalogue is near blasphemy. I think I'm going to let the hype die down a little before giving this new one a real shot.

NP: Wolves of Perdition - Ultraviolence

▶︎ Ultraviolence | WOLVES OF PERDITION | Folter Records (bandcamp.com)

a2663301611_10.jpg

I like it. The recording quality is about as good as you could ask for. The songs are well written and carry a lot of momentum. It's not going to blow anyone's mind, but it's definitely above average.

14 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Painkiller - Judas Priest cover, it's little girl metal is what it is. Nothing wrong with that though, little girls need their metal too! The little one on the left is gonna have a career as a vocalist/front woman, of this I have no doubt.

LMFAO, this is the funniest thing I've seen in weeks. Brilliant. The younger sister is a beast. American girls would never rock like that. Sign me up! I'm a huge fan. 

But, GG, then you share a cover of Angel of Death. Little girl metal? I see a crack in your criticism. Is Slayer, and a cover from the greatest thrash album (supposedly) of all time no less, really little girl metal? 

Answer-little girls are metal Af. Bring it, Audrey and Kate, bring it! Take no prisoners, take no shit. 

42 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

I had always wondered how numerous the anti-Painkiller crowd was among Priest fans. I knew they were out there, but that album came about at the point where they were largely viewed as one of many quickly aging bands of the old guard and without much relevance. It was also a weird time for metal in general. If you weren't into the extreme stuff Painkiller was probably a breath of fresh air, but there's really no denying that everything on that album kicks the theatricality up a notch or two. It still sounds like Priest, but not in the way that anybody in the eighties would have sounded like Priest. I personally really like the album even if the title track and Between The Hammer And The Anvil never really caught me like Nightcrawler or Leather Rebel did. I've also been told that thinking Sad Wings of Destiny is middling when placed alongside the rest of their catalogue is near blasphemy. I think I'm going to let the hype die down a little before giving this new one a real shot.

NP: Wolves of Perdition - Ultraviolence

I like it. The recording quality is about as good as you could ask for. The songs are well written and carry a lot of momentum. It's not going to blow anyone's mind, but it's definitely above average.

image-placeholder-title.jpg

It must be a generation thing. I was already pretty well over Priest along with most traditional heavy metal by 1984. I never bothered with any of the albums that came after Defenders. I did randomly pick up Angel of Retribution in '05, but Painkiller only reached my ears for the very first time sometime in 2022 I think it could have been, or maybe '21. Still to this day I've never heard Turbo (other than the title track) or Ram it Down. Don't see the point, I've read and heard enough about them over the years to save me the trouble. Sad Wings and all their 70's stuff just flat-out sucks, it's all incredibly overrated afaic. There are a handful of decent songs on all those early albums (Beyond the Realms of Death comes to mind) but you couldn't even make one solid compilation album out of the lot of it. Preest's hey-day starts with Hellbent and ends with Defenders for me.

Love Wolves of Perdition though, thanks for tipping me off that they've got a new one out.

NP: Winds of Leng - Horrid Dominion, death metal Phoenix AZ 2017

Temple of Void - Lords of Death, Detroit death metal 2017

3 minutes ago, markm said:

LMFAO, this is the funniest thing I've seen in weeks. Brilliant. The younger sister is a beast. American girls would never rock like that. Sign me up! I'm a huge fan. 

But, GG, then you share a cover of Angel of Death. Little girl metal? I see a crack in your criticism. Is Slayer, and a cover from the greatest thrash album (supposedly) of all time no less, really little girl metal? 

Answer-little girls are metal Af. Bring Audrey and Kate, bring it! Take no prisoners, take no shit. 

You know I was just messing around with the 'little girl metal' thing right? Because little girls are metal AF. But yet there is some truth to the sliding scale of heaviness theory that says what was mind-blowing and on the cutting edge of thermonuclear heaviness in 1986 is now acceptable after school music for little girls in 2020.

17 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

image-placeholder-title.jpg

It must be a generation thing. I was already pretty well over Priest along with most traditional heavy metal by 1984. I never bothered with any of the albums that came after Defenders. I did randomly pick up Angel of Retribution in '05, but Painkiller only reached my ears for the very first time sometime in 2022 I think it could have been, or maybe '21. Still to this day I've never heard Turbo (other than the title track) or Ram it Down. Don't see the point, I've read and heard enough about them over the years to save me the trouble. Sad Wings and all their 70's stuff just flat-out sucks, it's all incredibly overrated afaic. There are a handful of decent songs on all those early albums (Beyond the Realms of Death comes to mind) but you couldn't even make one solid compilation album out of the lot of it. Preest's hey-day starts with Hellbent and ends with Defenders for me.

If Sad Wings and the rest of their 70's output flat out sucks-which of course, they don't (DOH!) then any self respecting Priest fan should be arrested for listening to Turbo or  Ram it Down. Those two, in fact, do flat out suck. 

7 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Don't go looking for snakes you might find them.

Dave "The Snake" Sabo?

I knew your were a closet soft music fan!

2 minutes ago, markm said:

If Sad Wings and the rest of their 70's output flat out sucks-which of course, they don't (DOH!) then any self respecting Priest fan should be arrested for listening to Turbo or  Ram it Down. Those two, in fact, do flat out suck. 

When Rob finally gets his way to release the songs they recorded with Stock Aitken and Waterman the world will see just how metal should be made!

I think if you took the highlights from Sad Wings through to Defenders you could end up with a pretty good 12 track compilation. I will resend my earlier comment regarding stained class though, having spun it for the first time in over a year after posting that my view has certainly changedAh Judas Priest, for a time, quite a long time. Actually, they ranked among my favourite bands. These days, the only album I find even remotely palatable is Stained Class. The best thing to come out of painkiller was that time death covered the title track in my opinion. 

28 minutes ago, markm said:

If Sad Wings and the rest of their 70's output flat out sucks-which of course, they don't (DOH!) then any self respecting Priest fan should be arrested for listening to Turbo or Ram it Down. Those two, in fact, do flat out suck. 

Sucks is in the mind of the beholder. The Sad Wings/SAS/Stained Class trio of 'classics' does absolutely nothing for me, and it never has. I do appreciate that the majority of the metal world seems to revere these 3 albums for some reason. But I don't get it. I don't even like the superior live versions of most of those songs on Unleashed in the East. I would take the first 3 Van Halen albums over those 3 70's Priest albums any day of the week, and I don't even really like Van Halen too much. I definitely can't stand anything VH ever did after those first 3 records.

19 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I think if you took the highlights from Sad Wings through to Defenders you could end up with a pretty good 12 track compilation. I will resend my earlier comment regarding Stained Class though, having spun it for the first time in over a year after posting that my view has certainly changed. Ah Judas Priest, for a time, quite a long time actually, they ranked among my favourite bands. These days, the only album I find even remotely palatable is Stained Class. The best thing to come out of Painkiller was that time Death covered the title track in my opinion. 

Alright then Master Blivvington, here's your homework: Give me the track list of your hypothetical pretty good 12 track '70's compilation album. (but nothing from Hellbent/KM as I do like that album) I did it one time, came up with my track list but now I can't remember which songs I picked. I know I didn't have 12 of them though, I think I came up with like 8 or 9 from the three albums. I really hate both Exciter and Tyrant and I think most Priest fans would include them on their hypothetical compilations.

I could definitely come up with a solid 12 bangers culled from Hellbent up through Defenders though. I could almost probably do a double album from those years. I separate the first 4 albums from the next 5 in my mind, it's as if they're an entirely different band to me from '78 on.

Priest compilation-easy

Double album 

1.  Victim of  Changes
  2. The Ripper
  3. Dreamer Deceiver
  4. Tyrant
  5. Sinner
  6. Diamonds and Rust
  7. Starbreaker
  8. Let Us Prey
  9. Call for the Priest/Let us Prey
  10. Dissident Aggressor 
  11. Exciter
  12. Better by You, better tan Me
  13. Invader
  14. Beyond the Realms of Death

That's just  the 70'sn albums, not even including Killing Machine and I left off several I like,  and then come the 80's, baby!

15. Breaking the Law

16. Rapid Fire

17. Metal Gods

18. The Grinder

19. Don't Have to be Old to be Wise

20. The Rage

21. Heading out to the Highway

22. Desert Plains

23. The Hellion

24. Electric Eye

25. Blood Stone

26. You've Got Another Thing Coming (hell yes)

27. Freewheel Burning

28. Jaw Breaker

29. Ride Hard, Ride Free

30. The Sentinel

31. Defenders of the Faith

32. Some Heads Are Going to Roll (hell yes) 

33. Screaming for Vengence

Now, @GoatmasterGeneral. I can already hear you say, but Mark half of those songs suck,  but this is my list Goddammit!

42 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Sucks is in the mind of the beholder. The Sad Wings/SAS/Stained Class trio of 'classics' does absolutely nothing for me, and it never has. I do appreciate that the majority of the metal world seems to revere these 3 albums for some reason. But I don't get it. I don't even like the superior live versions of most of those songs on Unleashed in the East. I would take the first 3 Van Halen albums over those 3 70's Priest albums any day of the week, and I don't even really like Van Halen too much. I definitely can't stand anything VH ever did after those first 3 records.

Alright then Master Blivvington, here's your homework: Give me the track list of your hypothetical pretty good 12 track '70's compilation album. (but nothing from Hellbent/KM as I do like that album) I did it one time, came up with my track list but now I can't remember which songs I picked. I know I didn't have 12 of them though, I think I came up with like 8 or 9 from the three albums. I really hate both Exciter and Tyrant and I think most Priest fans would include them on their hypothetical compilations.

I could definitely come up with a solid 12 bangers culled from Hellbent up through Defenders though. I could almost probably do a double album from those years. I separate the first 4 albums from the next 5 in my mind, it's as if they're an entirely different band to me from '78 on.

I don’t think I was clear, to get to 12 tracks. I think you need to include hell, vengeance, and defenders, but I personally think British steel is at least as bad as sad wings.

Now then 12 tracks…

1. Beyond the Realms of Death

2. Starbreaker

3. Freewheel Burning

4. Hellbent for Leather

5. Dissident Aggressor

6. Screaming for Vengeance

7. The Ripper

8. Jawbreaker

Okay, putting my hand up here and saying I was wrong there’s only eight priest songs worth listening to in my opinion across their entire catalogue

okay, putting my hand up here and saying I was wrong there’s only eight priest songs worth listening to in my opinion across their entire catalogue

12 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I don’t think I was clear, to get to 12 tracks. I think you need to include hell, vengeance, and defenders, but I personally think British steel is at least as bad as sad wings.

Now then 12 tracks…

1. Beyond the Realms of Death

2. Starbreaker

3. Freewheel Burning

4. Hellbent for Leather

5. Dissident Aggressor

6. Screaming for Vengeance

7. The Ripper

8. Jawbreaker

Okay, putting my hand up here and saying I was wrong there’s only eight priest songs worth listening to in my opinion across their entire catalogue

Alright then, so taken from across their whole catalog?

Delivering the Goods

Hellbent for Leather

Burnin' Up

Green Manilishi

Running Wild

Living After Midnight

The Rage

Steeler

Desert Plains

Hot Rockin'

Headin' Out to the Highway

The Sentinel

Freewheel Burnin'

Electric Eye

Riding on the Wind

Bloodstone

Devil's Child

Beyond the Realms of Death

All the Priest I could ever need in roughly 74 minutes, so it should fit on a CDR. (remember those?) If the Ripper fits you could throw that on there too.

ZZ Top - Eliminator, 1983

Thin Lizzy  - Thunder & Lightning, 1983

3 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

It’s funny, actually, not that long ago I would’ve considered it blasphemous if someone said Judas Priest weren’t essential listening. Nowadays, I’m the person saying it, and while we’re at it Iron Maiden suck too.

You won't have to twist my arm, I was the first one to turn on Maiden in 1984 when they released that Powerslave garbage. I can't even remember the last time I felt like listening to anything of theirs. Back in the day I was pretty taken with Killers, and then Piece of Mind, but that feeling hasn't persisted.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

And again, I must attempt to drag you fossils away from fossil metal

Not until you've posted the list of your Best of Judas Preest compilation tracks!

Hemorrhoid - Raw Materials of Decay, deathgrind Portland Oregon

Dropthehammer - Greed Misery, deathgrind Croatia

Genocide Doctrine - Sleepers, grindcore/deathgrind Denmark