What Are You Listening To?

khaos

A little bit of easy listening pop to start the day with my coffee.

On a serious note, as much as I am most certainly not au fait with much BM, I first heard this when I was about 18 (1996ish) and I fell in love with the chilling, atmospheric coldness of it.  It always strikes me as somehow being the perfect accompaniment to a nightmare from which there is no escape.

Emperor - In The Nightshade Eclipse (1994)

Defiance - Product of Society (1989)

21 minutes ago, thrashinbiker said:

It always strikes me as somehow being the perfect accompaniment to a nightmare from which there is no escape.

If you're looking for an album about dreams and nightmares, I can't recommend Akhlys' Melinoë enough.

Fear Factory - Mechanize (2010)

I sometimes listen to this album, which is the only one I know of by FF, but that's mainly because one of my favourite drummers plays on it: Gene Hoglan.

Otherwise, I enjoy it, but in small doses. I don't really like the alternation of aggressive vocals and clean vocals.

1 hour ago, Arioch said:

If you're looking for an album about dreams and nightmares, I can't recommend Akhlys' Melinoë enough.

Wow, thank you for the recommendation, Arioch.  As I said in my Emperor post, my knowledge and experience of BM is practically zero, so forgive if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, because, well... I don't :D  I wanted to wait until I had finished listening to the album before replying.  

I enjoyed it very much, the last two tracks, "Ephilates" and "Incubatio" especially.  

That long, ominous intro to "Incubatio" put me in mind of being strapped to a trolley/gurney, paralysed but unable to move and being led, slowly and nightmarishly, to have my organs ripped out without anaesthesia.  Then those guitars come crashing in and the madness of the vocals are just insane.  I also loved the ending, where there is almost a sense of peace after being trapped in some hellish, never-ending, screaming, tortured, pain-filled terror.  

It's probably irrelevant to mention this under any other circumstance, but I sometimes suffer from sleep paralysis when waking up (if you haven't heard of it, it's where the brain wakes up and brings you into consciousness, but your brain hasn't yet sent the necessary signals to your body to allow it to move).  It's often accompanied by a feeling of terror (sometimes called night terrors) and that you are being watched by some sort of demonic entity.  I am quite used to it by now, so it's less frightening for me, but for those 90 seconds or so of being paralysed, this music seemed to sum that up.  

Amazing, and I will definitely give it another listen - thank you, again, for recommending!

Forbidden - Green (1997)

At the time of Green's release, Forbidden were having problems with their record label, which wanted something that would sell better than Thrash, as the style was falling into disrepair. And then there was Pantera and Machine Head...

Green is probably the band's worst album to my ears, and it took me a long time to appreciate it. Now I do, albeit in small doses.

Lamp of Murmuur/ Saturnian Bloodstorm (2023)-guess you'd call this low-fi or raw BM, but in this era of digital media where everything is available for everyone, I don't really know what's underground anymore, especially with favored "underground" releases that are anointed with "preferred status" by digital metal media as LoM clearly are.  LoM don't appear to make their output available on streaming services. I tend to audition most of my new music on Spotify or Bandcamp and I've been meaning to sit down with headphones for their new release as I can't stream it while driving or on my Sonos speakers while putzing around the house. I have two of their earlier releases. This one is quite good!

NP-the two released tracks on Bandcamp of Ahab/The Coral Tombs (2023)-don't think I've heard these death doomers before. Pretty sure they're lumped in with funeral doom, but this is surprisingly melodic-pretty even-perhaps with some post metal influence, but not sure yet, enjoying this so far... 

and moving on to the new Outer Heaven album-Infinite Psychic Depths-I like this style of DM-heavy, butish, new school of OSDM with a touch of technicality, groove and 'core vox" to keep it interesting. 

14 minutes ago, markm said:

Lamp of Murmuur/ Saturnian Bloodstorm (2023)-guess you'd call this low-fi or raw BM, but in this era of digital media where everything is available for everyone, I don't really know what's underground anymore, especially with favored "underground" releases that are anointed with "preferred status" by digital metal media as LoM clearly are.  LoM don't appear to make their output available on streaming services. I tend to audition most of my new music on Spotify or Bandcamp and I've been meaning to sit down with headphones for their new release as I can't stream it while driving or on my Sonos speakers while putzing around the house. I have two of their earlier releases. This one is quite good!

NP-the two released tracks on Bandcamp of Ahab/The Coral Tombs (2023)-don't think I've heard these death doomers before. Pretty sure they're lumped in with funeral doom, but this is surprisingly melodic-pretty even-perhaps with some post metal influence, but not sure yet, enjoying this so far... 

and moving on to the new Outer Heaven album-Infinite Psychic Depths-I like this style of DM-heavy, butish, new school of OSDM with a touch of technicality, groove and 'core vox" to keep it interesting. Might have to grab this one!

NP: Voracious - Path To Death

Debut album from a young band. It's definitely taking the 00's slam death as it's primary influence, and even though I generally prefer other styles for my death metal it still hits with just the right amount of nostalgia. Even I occasionally enjoy some of the less straight forward slam like Dying Fetus, Skinless, or Revokation, and it's a full band which means real earthy sounding drums. I think I was getting a little tired of tripping over one man black metal acts with programmed drums. Good stuff and it looks like they've put together a remarkably professional looking and sounding debut despite being unsigned. 

3 hours ago, Miss_Teala said:

Anyone heard of this song?
I actually like it a lot as my own gym music, although it is quite different from metal music. xP

To each their own, and if you enjoy it I'm glad for you, but I want nowhere near this auditory crime against God and man.

Beer and Metal Church?  Well fuck yeah, they go together like... like... well just fuckin' two things that go together, right?  If you want wit and enigmatic metaphor then you'd best not look to the forum's thick as dogshit resident for that 🤣

Metal Church - The Dark (1986)

6 hours ago, Arioch said:

Lääz Rockit - Know Your Enemy (1987)

Classic choice.  There is NEVER a time when Lääz Rockit doesn't hit the spot, man!

NP: Taubra - Therizo

▶︎ Therizo | Taubra (bandcamp.com)

a1977373933_10.jpg

So we've got some black metal that sounds to me heavily influenced by Marduk. Fair enough, I like Marduk just fine, so I can't dock points off the board for that. Truthfully when I just decide to fumble around in the metal underbrush just to see if I can find something cool I'm far more likely to find an Opeth or In Flames clone than anything so this isn't entirely unwelcome. It's kind of strange how sometimes black metal seems much more versatile when the drums become the main instrument as opposed to writing the drum parts around the song, instead electing to write songs around the drums a la Proscriptor. That last Apsu album he dropped was murderous front to back. I think these guys made the right choice by taking that approach. It really does sound like a very dense group of songs with a ton of meat on the bone.