What Are You Listening To?

khaos

NP: Root - Hell Symphony

▶︎ Hell Symphony | Root | I HATE (bandcamp.com)

a0613736653_10.jpg

I was going to start with the last full length, but the cover of the dude sneering at his own band logo while astral projecting into a giant head Mufasa style, was a little too goofy. There's such a thin line between being serious with a little tongue-in-cheek snark just for flavor and being hyperbolically arch and silly, and that album cover bounds over it with heedless panache.

Regardless, so far this album's pretty good. Mid-paced for the most part, but with plenty of decent riffs to go around. Production's about what you'd expect from a somewhat primitive black metal album recorded in '91, which is to say 'rough'. The material's more than able to make the turns around those hard corners though, so no biggie.

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

You know I enjoy a bunch of the same DM you do, it's not like everything needs to have weird time signatures and off-kilter dissonant guitars. I like songs that keep me engaged. I'm nodding along to this Fossilization album so far, which means I don't hate it, which is good. Already heard a couple of unexpected turns and I'm only halfway through. It's promising! 

I agree it’s solid, not groundbreaking stuff although I do enjoy that it feels familiar, without falling into many of the cliches I tend to associate with more primitive death metal in the modern age.

Diabolical Symphony - Ravendusk in my Heart

On 9/8/2023 at 7:30 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Can't stand Fetus and I've never actually heard Gwar. It's almost like we were from different generations and grew up on opposite sides of the world or something. Used to know a dude who was really into Gwar in the early 90's but I've never had the urge to partake.

Probably Fetus get blamed for deathcore/slam or whatever that is. I've never heard any of those modern bands, but Fetus produced Destroy the Opposition over 20 years ago now and, to me, it is a 10/10 death metal album with oodles of groovles. Sits next to Tomb of the Mutilated, Cause of Death, Necroticism, Once Upon the Cross, Dreams of the Carrion Kind et al as an example of how it's done.

Admittedly, all recent Fetus sounds fairly interchangeable and relies a bit too much on gore themes rather than political lyrics which I presume Jason Netherton introduced and then spun off into Misery Index. However, I still get some enjoyment out of it. 

This morning's listening:

The Baddies Are Coming | El Schlong (bandcamp.com)

Unholy Deification | Incantation (bandcamp.com)

Make Them Beg For Death | Dying Fetus (bandcamp.com)

INFESTATION / RAT RACE | Pest Control (bandcamp.com) 

On 9/9/2023 at 12:59 AM, RelentlessOblivion said:

I agree it’s solid, not groundbreaking stuff although I do enjoy that it feels familiar, without falling into many of the cliches I tend to associate with more primitive death metal in the modern age.

Yeah anyone looking for "groundbreaking" should probably drive right past my recos without slowing down to look because that's not on my list of criteria. If you want primitive and familiar then I'm your huckleberry. Cliches abound.

57 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

Probably Fetus get blamed for deathcore/slam or whatever that is. I've never heard any of those modern bands, but Fetus produced Destroy the Opposition over 20 years ago now and, to me, it is a 10/10 death metal album with oodles of groovles. Sits next to Tomb of the Mutilated, Cause of Death, Necroticism, Once Upon the Cross, Dreams of the Carrion Kind et al as an example of how it's done.

Admittedly, all recent Fetus sounds fairly interchangeable and relies a bit too much on gore themes rather than political lyrics which I presume Jason Netherton introduced and then spun off into Misery Index. However, I still get some enjoyment out of it. 

Yeah well I wasn't into death metal yet in the good old 90's, not til 2004, so I have no nostalgic attachment to early Fetus. Nothing I've heard from their more recent efforts has ever made we want to investigate any further. But it's cool that you enjoy them Jon-O Blade.

Always find it very interesting to see what other people think of as the best in class 90's death metal. I dig Cause of Death and Carrion Kind quite a bit but I don't really mess with them other albums you mentioned. To each their own.

I've never heard Misery Index I don't think either. I used to work with this kid Danny in '09 -'11 who was into all those brutal kinds of bands, and had no problem crossing the line into deathcore. Fetus, Deicide, Devourment, Deeds, Whitechapel, Disgorge, Decrepit Birth, Defeated Sanity, Krisiun and your buddies Misery Index...so I quickly learned to just avoid all the shit he seemed to be most excited about because I was more into the midpaced European death metal bands, and of course black metal. But I will try Destroy the Opposition because you've got me curious now.

2 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Probably Fetus get blamed for deathcore/slam or whatever that is.

This is true. I'm a little conflicted on the matter because they and that particular crop of bands certainly brought a whole separate aspect into extreme metal at a point when extreme metal in general was not particularly in favor or seen as still having room for innovation in the musical landscape they entered onto (I hesitate to say "generation" in this case because that feels reductive). The advancement of technicality in the genre often isn't talked about much either, even though they certainly brought that with them as well in a way that hadn't really been heard stateside since Suffocation. The really poor aspects they brought with them however were some of the hold-over rhythms from a distinctly low rent industrial point of origin and an inclination away from melodicism in favor of "brutality" that eventually morphed into the hold-over nu metal rhythms and prototypical slightly less shitty hardcore pandering (Honestly, I'd just as soon be without the occasional Dying Fetus or Skinless just to be rid of wife-beater/backwards baseball cap wearing tough guy proto-hardcore idiots alone).

6 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition. Well, I said I'd have a listen and now I have dialed it up. Not sure I'll make it to the end. Pantera meets Obituary with Chris Barnes on vox. No thanks. If I want groovy death metal I'll just listen to Obituary and Grave. The tweedly deedly guitar fills on track 2 are cringe. This isn't really technical, but it's pseudo-technical if you know what I mean, and that's no bueno. The weird part for me is this album came out in 2000 but the dude on the cover looks like Trump with Colonel Sanders hairstyle with his hand out begging for money, what else is new.

Guts - Decay, Finland. Had to find some better groovy death metal to get the taste of Fetus out of my mouth.

NP: Whalesong - Leaving a Dream

▶︎ WHALESONG "Leaving A Dream" | Whalesong | Old Temple (bandcamp.com)

a1019443986_10.jpg

Everything from the genre tag of "experimental" and "industrial" to the multi instrumentalist musicians involved, to the bland monochrome cover is telling me to run far away from this. It's only my goodwill  toward Old Temple as a label keeping me here. I've just got to keep an open mind and keep the cantankerous old man in the back of my brain from hitting the wall with a broom yelling "Turn that noise off!" and I might find something unique. Still 120 minutes is a hell of a slog. We'll see.

TRANSCENDING RITES - Worship of the Triumvirs. Very noice. They call it astral black metal.

9 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

NP: Whalesong - Leaving a Dream

All the aspects that put you off make this appeal to me, but the trouble is indeed that it is too long - dipping in will not easily give a representative sample and I don't want to waste 120 minutes either.