What Are You Listening To?

khaos

WALK THROUGH FIRE - Vår Avgrund. New to me funeral doom band. I really enjoyed this and there is more in their catalogue to check out including the band playing Arvo Pärt compositions. That should be a blast and I will check it out next.

This morning while I was out running my phone told me I had listened to more than enough loud music via headphones in the last week and I should turn things down. Blimey.

The Dead Daisies - "Holy Ground"

The Dead Daisies - "Radiance"

Death Decline - "The Silent Path"

Deathtrap - "Gravestepper"

Descent Ark - "The Howling Wolf"

Candlemass - "Sweet Evil Sun"

The Dogs Divine - "Size of the Fight"

Dew-Scented - "Icarus"

Debauchery - "Rage of the Bloodbeast"

Devil's Train - "Ashes & Bones"

5 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

CoC - Wiseblood

Wait, what? Based on the Flannery O'Conner novel? Doesn't seem like the type of thing a metal band would find fitting for an album or song. Maybe it's just a coincidence, or maybe it's like Pale Fire and that sequel Blade Runner movie, and the connection is just surface level. Either way it'd kind of get in the way for me if I were listening to it.

Southern hard rock/metal band (Carolina) southern author, cynical comic novel about nihiism, lost faith and false prophets set in the deep south (Tennessee) makes perfect sense to me. Unless maybe you think southern metalheads can't read or something?  /s

3 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Vomitheist - Nekrofvneral

HM2 death metal.  Not bad for something existing in one of the most oversaturated sub-subgenres but still largely unoriginal and without anything to make it standout from the pack.

I enjoyed it. I'd definitely put it in my top 20 death metal albums of this year so far. Can't really find fault with your assessment, but I'm not looking for originality. Just gimme 35 or 40 minutes of cool headbangable riffs and I'm a happy man. I'm not under any delusion that Vomitheist will go down as the greatest Swiss death metal band of the 21st century. I agree there's nothing happening here that Vomitory hasn't done better in the past. But a $5 death metal album like this is disposable to me in much the same way movies are. Play it a few times, enjoy it for what it is and next year I'll find another action film or another dm album to give me my next HM-2 fix. Shit, I can't even go out and get a quad flat white for $5 US, that'd be more like $7, and I wouldn't expect that to last me any longer than a death metal album. And unlike the flat white at least with this I can play it 10 - 12 times get my $5 worth out of it and then some. And seriously, this is still miles better than Megastaine album #14 or Iron Maiden album #15.

NP: Pungent Stench - Masters of Moral ~ Servants of Sin, Vienna Austria 2001

23 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

But a $5 death metal album like this is disposable to me in much the same way movies are. Play it a few times, enjoy it for what it is and next year I'll find another action film or another dm album to give me my next HM-2 fix. 

I find the concept of throw away music (or movies or whatever) abhorrent.  It's mindless consumerism where nothing has any value.  It strips away meaning and value from human existence.    

Music should at some point resonate and make me want to come back to it.  It is after all art.  And I want my art to be good and worth repeated listens and worth spending AUD$30 for CD to AUD$60 for vinyl. 

(Indeed I am listening to that Nailbomb album on vinyl.  Album was great enough for me to spend money on it and crank it regularly on my $3,300 Denon whilst enjoying the cover art.  It's an experience!).

Surprised to see you listening to that Pungent Stench album.  I would have thought they were too groovy for you.

Edge of Sanity - Infernal

Perhaps the most schizophrenic album ever.  You had the catchy melo or prog-death Dan Swano songs and then the Dread songs which are more full on death metal.  Band split up after this due to artistic differences!

i quite like it  as an album.  It's quite eclectic, catchy and still capable of occasionally ripping your nuts off.

Oh and I do think Swano gets too much credit especially for Edge of Sanity where Dread clearly played a major role.

6 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Wait, what? Based on the Flannery O'Conner novel? Doesn't seem like the type of thing a metal band would find fitting for an album or song. Maybe it's just a coincidence, or maybe it's like Pale Fire and that sequel Blade Runner movie, and the connection is just surface level. Either way it'd kind of get in the way for me if I were listening to it.

Nobody with a good car needs to be justified.

NP: Melvins - Stoner Witch 

2 hours ago, Dead1 said:

I find the concept of throw away music (or movies or whatever) abhorrent.  It's mindless consumerism where nothing has any value.  It strips away meaning and value from human existence.    

Music should at some point resonate and make me want to come back to it.  It is after all art.  And I want my art to be good and worth repeated listens and worth spending AUD$30 for CD to AUD$60 for vinyl. 

(Indeed I am listening to that Nailbomb album on vinyl.  Album was great enough for me to spend money on it and crank it regularly on my $3,300 Denon whilst enjoying the cover art.  It's an experience!).

Surprised to see you listening to that Pungent Stench album.  I would have thought they were too groovy for you.

I love my death metal groovy and my thrash metal too. Problems I may have with bands like Pantera or Log or Machine Head have nothing to do with groove. I like groove, think it's a good thing. I like that Nailbomb too.

Of course you'd want an album to be good and worth repeat listens or else what would even be the point in buying something if you weren't planning on any repeat listens? I'm just saying I don't expect every single album to be the best and most original god damned thing I've ever heard. Naturally I do hope to find some albums with staying power each year that will be with me and stay in the rotation for the next decade or two at least. But I don't expect that of every album because I have an insatiable appetite for variety too. I don't just want to listen to the same 20 or 30 of the very best of the best new albums over and over each year. So I also buy stuff that fits into the "pretty good" and "not bad for what it is" categories.

I really don't feel this strips away the value or meaning from my life, it's just some digital music. Everybody blows a few bucks on something disposable, why not music? You'd happily pay two or three or four times as much for a live show that you could only see once than the cost of a digital album. And also sometimes even those "pretty good" albums can leave an impression on you after repeated listens and be nice litle surprises when you're scrolling around and run across one of the ones you haven't listened to in a few years and forgot you even bought so you click and rediscover it all over again.

I'm all digital because the considerably cheaper digital prices allow me to afford more variety, and I don't care about the experience. And I don't need any more boxes full of CD's that I take out once, rip to the computer, and never look at ever again. I did the "vinyl experience" for almost 30 years, I'm over it, I don't care about the experience anymore. I couldn't possibly be bothered to find and then flip and then organize and alphabetize vinyl albums when I can just scroll and double click.

NP: Nothingness - Supraliminal, dm  Minneapois MN

The Lurking Fear - Death,Madness, Horror, Decay

Swedish DM will allstar cast (Tomas Lindberg, Adrian Erlandsson, Andreas Axelsson)    Old school with some great riffs albeit predictable and safe.

Probably worth a couple more spins to see if it gets better.

For some reason Tomas Lindberg sounds a lot more Roger Miret oit of Agnostic Front than usual  

28 minutes ago, Arioch said:

Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness (1989)

Now that is a death metal album.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Everybody blows a few bucks on something disposable, why not music? You'd happily pay two or three or four times as much for a live show that you could only see once than the cost of a digital album. 

I don't do disposable anything.  My wife does and it drives me crazy.  I even get irked by other people doing it.

Live shows are rare in my neck of the woods so they are definitely an experoence.

NP: Bal-Sagoth - Battle Magic

Battle Magic | Bal-Sagoth | Cacophonous Records (bandcamp.com)

a3480907584_10.jpg

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Southern hard rock/metal band (Carolina) southern author, cynical comic novel about nihiism, lost faith and false prophets set in the deep south (Tennessee) makes perfect sense to me. Unless maybe you think southern metalheads can't read or something?  /s

No, of course they can. It just struck me because I wasn't really prepared for the reference, and O'Conner's books are deeply theologically Catholic. It's pretty rare to see a metal band that doesn't shy away from that. Whatever might be said about metal and it's influences it can still surprise me all these years later.