What Are You Listening To?

khaos

1 hour ago, MacabreEternal said:

Suffocation - self titled (2006)

I remember this one being fairly divisive when it was released mainly because it was coming off of Souls to Deny two years earlier. You wouldn't know it now to read the reviews, but StD was absolutely loathed by a good number of people who were very quick to declare that Suffo had fallen to the same fate as Morbid Angel. They had problems with everything from the production to the use of melody to what they thought was a deliberate attempt at commercial appeal. Then this album dropped and some people thought it was a return to form while others thought it was better than StD, but still not enough to call it good. I think I still own this one somewhere in my collection. I honestly just thought it sounded like Suffocation. Maybe a little more streamlined, but not nearly enough to merit the vitriol it inspired.

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

I remember this one being fairly divisive when it was released mainly because it was coming off of Souls to Deny two years earlier. You wouldn't know it now to read the reviews, but StD was absolutely loathed by a good number of people who were very quick to declare that Suffo had fallen to the same fate as Morbid Angel. They had problems with everything from the production to the use of melody to what they thought was a deliberate attempt at commercial appeal. Then this album dropped and some people thought it was a return to form while others thought it was better than StD, but still not enough to call it good. I think I still own this one somewhere in my collection. I honestly just thought it sounded like Suffocation. Maybe a little more streamlined, but not nearly enough to merit the vitriol it inspired.

Souls to Deny suffered from the production I grant you but otherwise I thought it was still a palatable affair.  Basically if Hobbs and Mullen were involved then that base level of quality songs with that clever balance of brutality with some unexpected and often completely unseen avenues of accessibility was there to make any record they made a success.  The self-titled was not a Pierced From Within or Effigy of the Forgotten (the two albums that I constantly flit between deciding if they are my favourite or not) but it was another example of where that quality production complimented the quality of the band working with quality material.

24 minutes ago, Arioch said:

Rather Dark Angel, don't we agree?

Well they both have their moments. May as well have both.

NP: Human Harvest - Death Storms

▶︎ Death Storms | Human Harvest | Iron Blood and Death Corporation (bandcamp.com)

a0653431666_10.jpg

Production might be just a hair too modern, but they bring the brutality for sure and they keep it out of slam territory. 

2 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

NP: 1914 - Eschatology of War

Supposedly this got a rerelease recently. Bandcamp's got nothing from this one in particular. I'll have to see if I can dig it up elsewhere. Thank God for youtube in the meantime. 

Love the death/doom style. I love the WWI theming. Altogether very enjoyable.

Dude how do you get it to post where it just automatically goes to the next track like this? I thought when an album was only up on Youtube in separate videos for each track that you could only post one track. I guess I must have assumed and never actually tested this theory out. 

Good album, some say they like the 2nd album better but I prefer this first one.

31 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Dude how do you get it to post where it just automatically goes to the next track like this? I thought when an album was only up on Youtube in separate videos for each track that you could only post one track. I guess I must have assumed and never actually tested this theory out. 

Fen - Monuments to Absence (2023)

This is a playlist of the full album all under one URL on YouTube, I assume this plays consecutively but have never come back to listen to anything I have posted here myself in this format. 

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Good album, some say they like the 2nd album better but I prefer this first one.

I was on the issuing label's youtube page and they had the album already set up as a playlist. I didn't do anything different than normal accept to left click and then copy the link for the whole playlist from the access page instead of just the first video. I wasn't working any tech-voodoo or anything.

NP: Artificial Brain - s/t

▶︎ Artificial Brain | ARTIFICIAL BRAIN | Profound Lore Records (bandcamp.com)

a2049691384_10.jpg

When I first heard this album I thought it might be their best. Listening to it now, though, I think it might be their weakest.

Artificial Brain - S/T

When I first heard this album I thought it might be their best. Listening to it now, though, I think it might be their weakest.

How can you tell the difference? 😜

I was on the issuing label's youtube page and they had the album already set up as a playlist. I didn't do anything different than normal except to left click and then copy the link for the whole playlist from the access page instead of just the first video. I wasn't working any tech-voodoo or anything.

Remember I'm a boomer, probably as old as your dad or maybe older. I can barely figure most of this tech shit out to begin with. I didn't go to college, I'm not smart like Doc, Orca, FA, Navy and most of you other college boys. Almost all tech seems like "voodoo" to me. It's a god damned miracle I can even find my way on here and post anything at all or that I've learned how to load music onto my phone.

I can find the page with the playlist. I can find playlists for albums no problem, but where do I left click to get the url for the whole playlist? I'm sitting here 10-15 minutes clicking on everything in sight but nothing I'm clicking on seems to be working. I still just get the video for the first song.

Alright, I've finally figured it out. I right-clicked and then grabbed the url from the address window up top instead of clicking share button under the video window. A web developer I shall never be. 

NP: Vacuous Depths - Corporal Humiliation

9 hours ago, Kristiko said:

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (album)

White Zombie - Astro Creep: 2000 - Songs of Love, Destruction and Other Synthetic Delusions of the Electric Head (album)

Funny story about that album. Me and some friends dropped a shitload of acid with some chicks back in the 90's. This album had just come out. The girls loved it. One song, closer I think, got stuck on repeat for like 6-7 hours. Nobody could figure out how to switch the tracks. I can never hear that song without thinking of that night. Good times.

High Spirits - Another Night in the City

Yes - 90125

9 hours ago, Kristiko said:

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

Re: Wolverine Blues, Swansong,

I actually like both those albums quite a lot.

I don't hate either of these two myself. But they're certainly albums a lot of people have had some very vocal complaints about over the years regarding changes in direction. I'll add Divine Intervention, Roots and Chaos AD to the list. There's tons of these if you stop and think about it.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

You got me. The outrage device is ON.

And I'll raise you one.

CABINET - Decomposing Hexahedronic Seplophobia

Fuck off Doc with your Hexahedronic Splenophobia. No way I'm checking this one out but I bet it's just as bad or worse than that Chord you posted that time, must be a couple of years ago now.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I don't hate either of these two myself. But they're certainly albums a lot of people have had some very vocal complaints about over the years regarding changes in direction. I'll add Divine Intervention, Roots and Chaos AD to the list. There's tons of these if you stop and think about it.

Agreed, metalheads don't like change. 

I don't mind Divine Intervention, love Chaos AD and don't mind Roots (it's too long and could've done with some massive editing). 

But I hate changes driven by cash considerations.   These ones usually sound forced and often result in a considerably softer sound.

Slayer - Divine Intervention

18 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Dead Milkmen - Big Lizard in My Backyard

I had a Camaro once, a royal blue on white Z-28 I bought for my then wife in the late 80's soon after we got married because she needed a way to get to work. Wouldn't say it was bitchin' though, it was more like a hunk of crap. But then it was about 10 years od when I got it. Looked like this one but without the fancy tires.

1979 Chevrolet Camaro | Charlie's Classic Cars

Trampled by Turtles - Live at First Avenue

Envy of None - S/t

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I had a Camaro once, a royal blue on white Z-28 I bought for my then wife in the late 80's soon after we got married because she needed a way to get to work. Wouldn't say it was bitchin' though, it was more like a hunk of crap. But then it was about 10 years od when I got it. Looked like this one but without the fancy tires.

1979 Chevrolet Camaro | Charlie's Classic Cars

Did your parents drive it up from the Bahamas? Have you ever seen my favorite Doors cover band Crystal Shit? Do you have an Exxon credit card?

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

How can you tell the difference? 😜

Remember I'm a boomer, probably as old as your dad or maybe older. I can barely figure most of this tech shit out to begin with. I didn't go to college, I'm not smart like Doc, Orca, FA, Navy and most of you other college boys. Almost all tech seems like "voodoo" to me. It's a god damned miracle I can even find my way on here and post anything at all or that I've learned how to load music onto my phone.

I can find the page with the playlist. I can find playlists for albums no problem, but where do I left click to get the url for the whole playlist? I'm sitting here 10-15 minutes clicking on everything in sight but nothing I'm clicking on seems to be working. I still just get the video for the first song.

Alright, I've finally figured it out. I right-clicked and then grabbed the url from the address window up top instead of clicking share button under the video window. A web developer I shall never be. 

NP: Vacuous Depths - Corporal Humiliation

I wouldn't worry too much about the tech thing, and believe me, having been or not been through college is not an indicator of general intelligence these days. My time in college was not time well spent at all. There's a massive gap in teachability and preparedness among students depending on where they're coming from. So much so that the professors have to basically try and catch a bunch of kids up to even a basic literacy level since they essentially got shot through the high school cattle chute, and bet massive amounts of money on themselves in a foot race with their peers who can run circles around them, effectively sentencing them to a half an adult life of crippling debt while simultaneously setting the clock back on the kids who are prepared. It's been a while since I was there, but I've heard that covid effectively set an entire generation back a year, so it's only gotten worse.

But enough of my childish lamenting.

NP: Arjen - Lice čovjeka koji je rekao Ne

▶︎ Lice čovjeka koji je rekao Ne | Arjen (bandcamp.com)

a0662132746_10.jpg

Homie's mean-mugging me through that cover. I don't think he likes me. In fact, I don't think he likes anyone. Trying to do some independent research in Bosnian black metal. It could just be the pressers overhyping things, but they all keep referring to it as a well kept secret. So far I really like Izrod, but I can't seem to identify a distinct style that would let me know that it's "Bosnian black metal."

3 hours ago, navybsn said:

Did your parents drive it up from the Bahamas? Have you ever seen my favorite Doors cover band Crystal Shit? Do you have an Exxon credit card?

Obviously not, the Bahamas are islands. I laughed when I heard him say the part about Crystal Ship, I remember them, they used to play all around Long Island in the early 80's. Other places too I would imagine. Tribute/cover bands were big shit back then, all the bigger late 60's and 70's rock bands had a tribute band all their own making the circuit. I never went to see Crystal Ship because I don't give a shit about the Doors. But their radio ads were everywhere.

But before the summer's over I still might head down the shore find the Sandbar, play some video games and buy some Def Leppard t-shirts with my Exxon credit card. Gonna try real hard not to run over any old ladies because my dad is not the fucking mayor.

NP: Order of Decay - Mortification Rites, "Scottish dark doomed death metal"

I wouldn't worry too much about the tech thing, and believe me, having been or not been through college is not an indicator of general intelligence these days. My time in college was not time well spent at all. There's a massive gap in teachability and preparedness among students depending on where they're coming from. So much so that the professors have to basically try and catch a bunch of kids up to even a basic literacy level since they essentially got shot through the high school cattle chute, and bet massive amounts of money on themselves in a foot race with their peers who can run circles around them, effectively sentencing them to a half an adult life of crippling debt while simultaneously setting the clock back on the kids who are prepared. It's been a while since I was there, but I've heard that covid effectively set an entire generation back a year, so it's only gotten worse.

Hehe, I went away to college for a year, it was fucking stupid. I'm from NY and I ended up in South Carolina at USC because they sent me an unsolicited letter informing me that if I would like to apply there they'd be happy to accept me. This was over the summer before my senior year of HS had even started and I thought that could be cool cuz it would take the pressure off me to perform my senior year. So when the school year started I immediately dropped physics and calculus since I no longer needed the credits, and I had some fun my senior year.

So then in August mom & dad dropped me off down there in Columbia for freshman orientation on my 18th birthday. And when classes started the following Monday I quickly discovered these southern kids were way behind. All my required freshmen classes were essentially repeats of everything I'd learned 3 or 4 years earlier in 9th & 10th grade when I was 14-15. So being away from home without any adult supervision for the first time I kinda stopped going to classes because I knew I could pass all the tests 'n shit in my sleep or bang out an essay or whatever without having to try too hard. But my roomates who were two high school buddies from Charleston, and Juniors, partied pretty hard. Somehow they'd always manage to get up for their 8am classes, but I fucking didn't. No, not the Yankee, I'd sleep til noon miss all my classes and get up just in time to start smoking and drinking again. Yes I'm the classic underachiever. 

USC had a freshman only attendance rule, miss 10 classes and you're out, you flunk. So once I'd missed at least 10 of each of my classes I dropped any pretense I'd had of being a student. Was a lot of fun too (southern girls are fucking hot, and they seemed to think my being from NY was a big deal) until I had to go home for Christmas and explain this all to my dad. Went back for a 2nd semester did the same shit again so USC Business School invited me not to return for my sophomore year. My poor dad had had everything all planned out for me, I was gonna get my MBA in 5 years then go to law school and be a savage cut-throat scumbag corporate lawyer and rake in the dough. Obviously I was not too keen on his plan, who the fuck would want to be one of these high powered corporate lawyers working 80 hours a week with all that stress? Not fucking I. So my flunking out my first year kinda threw a monkey wrench into those well laid plans.

The only thing that saved him from killing me was school was cheap back then in '79-'80. I think tuition was only like $1,100 or $1,200 a semester for out of state students and like $750 or something dirt cheap for in state students. Not like in 2009 when my daughter basically did the same thing and flunked out of nursing school her very first semester, I was out nearly $10G's for that shit, and it was a NY state school. I couldn't really be too mad at her though could I, cuz I'd done the exact same thing 30 years earlier. Guess being a slacker fuck up runs in the family.

Decoherence - Order, Industrail black metal UK