Movie Thread/Now Watching

AlSymerz

3 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

I don't think I've ever had a family tradition at Christmas. Other than the usual. We certainly never watched a particular movie. Don't think I've ever seen It's a Wonderful Life.

Same. Although we watched one of those horrible Netflix Christmas movies a couple years in a row because my son actually liked it. He is way too cool for that now.

We're rewatching Schitt's Creek and we just finished the latest season of the Great British Baking Show (Bake Off). Silly fluff to unwind. We took our son's personal screen time away for being a dingus, so now he's getting his jollies by watching the Bake Off with us, or hate-watching Peppa Pig and Blue's Clues while the little girl enjoys them. It's weird. I wouldn't be doing any of this if I was spending the evening by myself.

1 hour ago, JonoBlade said:

Jurassic Park is indeed a masterclass. I think Spielberg understands CGI is a useful tool but not a means to an end. You've gotta have a compelling story and allow your actors to feel at home in it with proper set design.

The recent Dark Crystal show on Netflix was well done I thought. It had all the puppets and sets with just a little augmentation from time to time.  Good old Jim.

Will look out for The Holdovers. Billions with Paul G finished recently. It ebbed and flowed but was pretty enjoyable overall. Damian Lewis wore a Slayer t-shirt in one of the last episodes and Angel of Death played over the credits.

I don't think I've ever had a family tradition at Christmas. Other than the usual. We certainly never watched a particular movie. Don't think I've ever seen It's a Wonderful Life.

if you haven't already I highly recommend reading the original novel by Michel Crichton Its just as good as the movie in my opinion.

I just finished rewatching Nosferatu last night and watched the 1925 version of phantom of the opera and I'm surprised silent horror films don't get talked about much anymore its very interesting.

18990267.jpg

Last night I started watching Death Instinct (L'instinct de mort), a French/Canadian/Italian movie by Jean-François Richet, with a well-known French actor in the lead role, Vincent Cassel.

The film tells the story of the beginnings of public enemy #1 in 1970s France, Jacques Mesrines. Thug, robber, hold-up man, killer. In those years he was known in Canada and the USA, where he spent several periods in prison.

This isn't the first time I've watched this film, and it certainly won't be the last.

Despite all the shit he did, the character is fascinating. He had a knack of getting the public on his side, including sometimes the police. He escaped several times and had an astonishing sense of honour: when he escaped with an accomplice from a high-security prison in Canada, he promised the other inmates that he would come back and free them. And he did.

19007981.jpg

Then I'd go on to the movie Public Enemy No. 1- (L'Ennemi Public n° 1), by the same director, which tells the second part of Mesrines' short life. We see him as a kidnapper, murderer, narcissist, suspicious of everything and everyone. Until his death in the middle of Paris on 2 November 1979.

30 minutes ago, Arioch said:

Until his death in the middle of Paris on 2 November 1979.

Spoiler alert!

1 hour ago, agamerwholovesmetal said:

if you haven't already I highly recommend reading the original novel by Michel Crichton Its just as good as the movie in my opinion.

I don't read!

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

We're rewatching Schitt's Creek and we just finished the latest season of the Great British Baking Show (Bake Off). 

Oof. I can't be doing with anything remotely "reality TV". Is Noel Fielding still doing that? Jeez, how the mighty have fallen. The Mighty Boosh was one of those beloved cult comedy shows that I really liked at the time.

11 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

Spoiler alert!

Talking about the death of the main character here is in no way a spoiler.

In my country (and probably in Canada too, where he was fairly well known), everyone knows that he died a long time ago.

In fact, when you watch the film, there's not the slightest doubt about it.

42 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

Oof. I can't be doing with anything remotely "reality TV". Is Noel Fielding still doing that? Jeez, how the mighty have fallen. The Mighty Boosh was one of those beloved cult comedy shows that I really liked at the time.

It's the only show along those lines that I can watch. I hate every other one I've seen and I can't be in the room for more than a couple minutes if they're on. I don't know why I like it. Maybe the format just corrupted my brain while I was vulnerable during Covid lockdown.

7 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

The recent Dark Crystal show on Netflix was well done I thought. It had all the puppets and sets with just a little augmentation from time to time.  Good old Jim.

Will look out for The Holdovers. Billions with Paul G finished recently. It ebbed and flowed but was pretty enjoyable overall. Damian Lewis wore a Slayer t-shirt in one of the last episodes and Angel of Death played over the credits.

Yeah that Netflix show was a standout from every other attempt they've made for original content. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Really satisfying and fleshed out factional world building that actually expanded the mythos from the movie. Most things that attempt to continue a story like that try and tie up loose ends to provide satisfying catharsis. That show did the opposite almost and by the end of it I was completely in love with the world they built all over again. Made my girlfriend at the time really frustrated, though. She wasn't a fan of anything Muppet adjacent.

Is Billions that show about the Machiavellian wealthy family that had Brian Cox and more Culkin sightings than anyone should have to endure?

...And just an aside in case anybody here happens to know, did the second half of that horror film that was laying waste to the festival circuit including some of the more respected and drama based movies ever resurface? I think it was called Mad Gods or something to that effect. Last I checked we only had the first half available for torrent or download, and nobody seems to know what the hell happened to the guy that made it. He had publishers lining up to give him distribution, but nope; just straight up ghosted.

12 hours ago, agamerwholovesmetal said:

I liked Michael Crichton's books a lot when I was younger. Sphere was the first one I read. I feel like his older books hold up better and his newer ones just feel like retreads of the same schtick, but maybe that's just because I happened to read the older ones first.

14 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Is Billions that show about the Machiavellian wealthy family that had Brian Cox and more Culkin sightings than anyone should have to endure?

You're thinking of Succession. That was worth a watch. Perhaps a bit lame in the end, although that was kind of the point.

Billions is about a hedge fund boss (Damian Lewis) and the  lawman (Paul G) trying to find something illegal to pin on him, by fair means or foul. Over 6 seasons it went through moments of brilliance and ridiculousness. 

It's no Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul, but good enough.

I'm enjoying For All Mankind at the moment. I'm a sucker for the alternate reality stuff, like Man in the High Castle which was good, until it wasn't.

37 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

Billions is about a hedge fund boss (Damian Lewis) and the lawman (Paul G) trying to find something illegal to pin on him, by fair means or foul. Over 6 seasons it went through moments of brilliance and ridiculousness. 

I watched the first season, or most of it as I remember, but then we moved out to Denver and didn't have Showtime anymore so then I lost track of it. You say there are 6 seasons, where did they go with it after season 1? I only started watching becuse Major Dick Winters and Giamatti were in it and I like Maggie Siff from SoA even though they keep her fully clothed throughout both series.

7 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I watched the first season, or most of it as I remember, but then we moved out to Denver and didn't have Showtime anymore so then I lost track of it. You say there are 6 seasons, where did they go with it after season 1? I only started watching becuse Major Dick Winters and Giamatti were in it and I like Maggie Siff from SoA even though they keep her fully clothed throughout both series.

It went all over the place. One season had Damian Lewis mostly on Skype because of covid and, I think, the fact his irl wife died. He subsequently left for a season and a half and they found another "bad guy" hedge fund boss. He came back for the finale.

It's entertainment. I'd never watch it again, but these kinds of shows provide a middle ground I can watch with the wife because she doesn't like sci-fi or stupid comedies (e.g. Foundation, Rick and Morty, What We Do in the Shadows).

19 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

It went all over the place. One season had Damian Lewis mostly on Skype because of covid and, I think, the fact his irl wife died. He subsequently left for a season and a half and they found another "bad guy" hedge fund boss. He came back for the finale.

It's entertainment. I'd never watch it again, but these kinds of shows provide a middle ground I can watch with the wife because she doesn't like sci-fi or stupid comedies (e.g. Foundation, Rick and Morty, What We Do in the Shadows).

Yeah it does kinda suck when your irl wife dies, but I suppose at least then you don't have to compromise and can watch all the sci-fi and stupid comedies and listen to all the gnarly death metal you want. 

• 1 month later...

Seen a few weeks ago:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkyLUu0WklD0uH5-_60jY

The former Bathory drummer made a movie that I really liked.

It's impossible for me to know what's true or false in the movie (even after reading the book The Lords of Chaos), but I enjoyed the atmosphere.

I thought the actors were pretty good.

I note that the two crime scenes in the movie are shot in a very contemplative way. No detail is spared, which could easily tip The Lords of Chaos into the slasher or even horror genre.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 6:51 PM, Arioch said:

The former Bathory drummer made a movie that I really liked.

It's impossible for me to know what's true or false in the movie (even after reading the book The Lords of Chaos), but I enjoyed the atmosphere.

I thought the actors were pretty good.

I note that the two crime scenes in the movie are shot in a very contemplative way. No detail is spared, which could easily tip The Lords of Chaos into the slasher or even horror genre.

I watched this movie in 2021. Well shot, liked looking at the locations and album covers in the store. Dead (Pelle Ohlin) character is poorly shown and it seems to me that in reality he was completely different.

It's fun to watch Euronymous berate the Swedish metal scene for being all merry hooligans, but throughout the film we see that the Black Circle are no better.

• 4 weeks later...