Post your metal collection photos

Requiem

Hair Metal Shelf #1 (with some extra box sets laying there)

Note: the Aerosmith, Alice Cooper and Scorpions CD's displayed on these shelves are only those pertaining to their Hair Metal eras and beyond. Their 70's masterpieces lay on my classic/hard rock shelves. Regarding the Scorpions, I also have all their anniversary Deluxe Editions, but I keep them somewhere else.

2njkb9l.jpg

Hair Metal Shelf #2

Note: there are some Hair Metal related soundtracks on display as well. The Hendrix tribute is featured because Slash guests on a track with Paul Rodgers. The Defenders of The Faith Anniversary Deluxe Editions stands there ("expressionless" just like THE SENTINEL) simply because it fits. As does the Van Halen box set that includes their most recent live album. The Hanoi Rocks Box contains all their 80's albums, some of their later albums are featured on shelf #3 (those missing are in my GF's collection, so I'm not buying them unless I break up eheh). The Hollywood Rocks! box set is also a treat with plenty of demos.

There are two misplaced CDs here ("Metal Health" by Quiet Riot and "Cherry Pie" by Warrant). They lay here because I am waiting to receive Enuff Znuff's first and third CD's. When I get those, I'll put those fillers somewhere else. I already own the first pressings of both, but these reissues have nice bonus tracks, so I'm keeping them.

11ugggl.jpg

Hair Metal Shelf #3 (UK / Euro doubles of Poison's first 2 albums lay there for no reason)

2cqmsqw.jpg

Hair Metal Shelf #4 (David Lee Roth's "A Little Ain't Enough" is missing because I'm listening to it right now). A coupla rolled flyers and posters lay on top. I am quite proud of my Motley Crue collection. All their CD's are first pressings from back in the day (a MUST since ALL the remastered editions of their catalogue, including the box sets and greatest hits, sound like SHIT). I'm also very proud of my Motley JAP's: both the Raw Tracks Ep's (with unreleased non album tracks ), the Quaternary Ep's (with 4 extra tracks compared to the International version) and the Decade of Decadence compilation (no extras, but JAP is just nicer sometimes). The holed black one is the eponymous album with Corabi on vocals. It's the slightly rarer yellow logo one. I like that one.

qp0wb9.jpg

Hair Metal Shelf #5. Limited editions of Alice Cooper's and Lynyrd SKynyrd's respective 2011 and 2012 albums lie on top, again, because they fit. Excellent editions, BTW, both feature incredible companion career spanning magazines.

2ztk2ls.jpg

Hair Metal Shelf #6 (actually it's not even a shelf... it's the floor). The very last CD is a double live bootleg from the early 90's featuring performances by Junkyard, Raging Slab, LA Guns and Black Crowes. They are mixboard tapes and sound just great! The Junkyard live tracks are a personal favorite. All the shows are recorded at the Greek in LA. 

You may notice two copies of Whitesnake's "Slide it In". One is the US edition, the other is the UK one. They differ not only in mixes, but in performers too. The US one has overdubbed guitars by John Sykes and a slicker more polished remix. Please notice the ALBINO ZOO: White Lion, White Tiger, White Wolf, Whitesnake.

There is also a live Van Halen bootleg CD lying on top of WASP.

6qem1x.jpg

Okay, now it all makes more sense eheh

:D I'm a huge fan of this "cultural" phenomenon... well, let's just say phenomenon!

Now it's 6.50 AM in Italy and I'm about to go to work. Meanwhile at the Rainbow Bar and Grill in LA they are celebrating it's anniversary party with a free concert in the parking lot. My girlfriend is there, 'cause she has to stay in Cali for an exchange program. Quiet Riot is on now. Next, she's going to the after party at the Whisky a Go Go where Cinderella's Tom Keifer is due to play with his solo band.

To quote the original Canadian Sword "my life's a nightmare!" ("Sweet Dreams")! I can only dream of these things... :D

Icon are great... The whole Phoenix HEAVY/Hair metal scene rocked HARD. No wonder Rob Halford moved there mid 80's, although, obviously, he mostly did that for the cowboys...

Speaking of Icon, my copy of their third album is signed by Dan Wexler! I found it like that in a record fair and grabbed it for about 15 euros, which is nothing. I'd say it's value is at least 3x.

17 hours ago, Skull_Kollektor said:

Hair Metal Shelf #1 (with some extra box sets laying there)

Note: the Aerosmith, Alice Cooper and Scorpions CD's displayed on these shelves are only those pertaining to their Hair Metal eras and beyond. Their 70's masterpieces lay on my classic/hard rock shelves. Regarding the Scorpions, I also have all their anniversary Deluxe Editions, but I keep them somewhere else.

2njkb9l.jpg

Okay, now it all makes more sense eheh

I've deleted most of your post in my reply so it doesn't fill up the whole page, because I wanted to write to say WOW. That is nothing short of impressive my friend. I can't believe you have all those hair metal albums. That's just brilliant. 

It's a bold move separating bands as well. I face that dilemma with some bands who have both black metal and gothic metal albums (like Rotting Christ) and other bands like Ulver who have some black metal and some completely different music. I end up keeping them together and going with what is most represented. For this reason both Rotting Chris and Ulver are kept in my black metal section - as you can see from my photo on page 1 or 2. 

Also, I noticed that you don't have 'Appetite for Destruction' tucked away in your Guns n Roses collection. Is it currently in your car or something? Also, did you stop buying Motley Crue albums after 'Dr Feelgood'? 'Saints of Los Angeles' is a classic Crue album and I can't imagine you not liking it. Unless one of those Japanese looking CDs after 'Dr Feelgood' are Motley Crue albums? 

Look at all this I need more Ratt and Alice Cooper. Actually, I need some Ratt, as I don't actually have a Ratt CD. 

37 minutes ago, True Belief said:

Just arrived today

c1d0426f824e83c742dbb44eb91c804e.jpg

Ha, looks familiar! As i mentioned, my copy of 'The Death Archives' is in the mail. I'm pumped for it. 

22 hours ago, Requiem said:

I've deleted most of your post in my reply so it doesn't fill up the whole page, because I wanted to write to say WOW. That is nothing short of impressive my friend. I can't believe you have all those hair metal albums. That's just brilliant. 

It's a bold move separating bands as well. I face that dilemma with some bands who have both black metal and gothic metal albums (like Rotting Christ) and other bands like Ulver who have some black metal and some completely different music. I end up keeping them together and going with what is most represented. For this reason both Rotting Chris and Ulver are kept in my black metal section - as you can see from my photo on page 1 or 2. 

Also, I noticed that you don't have 'Appetite for Destruction' tucked away in your Guns n Roses collection. Is it currently in your car or something? Also, did you stop buying Motley Crue albums after 'Dr Feelgood'? 'Saints of Los Angeles' is a classic Crue album and I can't imagine you not liking it. Unless one of those Japanese looking CDs after 'Dr Feelgood' are Motley Crue albums? 

Look at all this I need more Ratt and Alice Cooper. Actually, I need some Ratt, as I don't actually have a Ratt CD. 

Ha, looks familiar! As i mentioned, my copy of 'The Death Archives' is in the mail. I'm pumped for it. 

Thanks for appreciating! 

1- Motley Crue: I stopped right after the Corabi album. But I agree, "Saints" is a cool album, I should definitely get it! My collection (and listening) is quite often impaired by my fascination with vintage lesser known bands, so I typically find myself buying some Z-grade me-too's from back in the day, rather than the latest (or contemporary) release by a big band. But sooner or later I will be done with those minor bands and will be able to properly concentrate on new(er) stuff!

2- Appetite for Destruction: it is there, but at the moment it lies on shelf #2, while the rest of Guns lies on shelf #3... Quite a pity indeed :D I should buy the "Guns n Roses Ep" (the one with "Shadow of your Love"), but it's freaking expensive! One day...

3- Splitting discographies: I only do that with regards to hair metal, but it also has to do with the shelves I can use now. See, all this stuff is still in my folks house, but at some point in my life I will buy some customized furniture to hold my CDs in a better way. For instance, because I have limited space, at the moment my whole KISS collection is kept somewhere else. I could include both Ozzy and Dio in the hair metal shelves, because they played with some key players of the scene, but I'm actually keeping them in the heavy metal wall, because I don't want to irritate them! I gotta say that I do split Black Sabbath! I keep the Ozzy era albums (including 13) in my 70's hard/classic rock section, but I put the rest in the heavy metal wall. From Dio to Tony Martin. One band I could split, but I just don't is Blue Oyster Cult. I'd separate records up until "Fire of Unknown Origin". From "Revolution By Night" up until "Imaginos" the sound is so 80's that I could move them in my A.O.R. section in amidst the Journey's, Toto's, Foreigner's and the like. The A.O.R. section is just a stripe of cd's. They're probably about 100. I even have a "know your enemy" section which is devoted to grunge and alternative rock. Just kidding, I do enjoy my share of Seattle bands every once in a while and I'm actually relieved they killed the Sunset Strip, or else I'd have been bound to buy hair metal records 'til my dying day... which I probably will anyway... DOH!

22 hours ago, True Belief said:

Just arrived today

c1d0426f824e83c742dbb44eb91c804e.jpg

Cool! Some starking contrast between the two... but these guys do share male make up! :D

I don't have any Ratt book. I read that the one by The Blotz should be also good... I'm putting this Pearcy book and that Blotz book on my list.

3 hours ago, Skull_Kollektor said:

3- Splitting discographies: I only do that with regards to hair metal, but it also has to do with the shelves I can use now. See, all this stuff is still in my folks house, but at some point in my life I will buy some customized furniture to hold my CDs in a better way. For instance, because I have limited space, at the moment my whole KISS collection is kept somewhere else. I could include both Ozzy and Dio in the hair metal shelves, because they played with some key players of the scene, but I'm actually keeping them in the heavy metal wall, because I don't want to irritate them! I gotta say that I do split Black Sabbath! I keep the Ozzy era albums (including 13) in my 70's hard/classic rock section, but I put the rest in the heavy metal wall. From Dio to Tony Martin. One band I could split, but I just don't is Blue Oyster Cult. I'd separate records up until "Fire of Unknown Origin". From "Revolution By Night" up until "Imaginos" the sound is so 80's that I could move them in my A.O.R. section in amidst the Journey's, Toto's, Foreigner's and the like. The A.O.R. section is just a stripe of cd's. They're probably about 100. I even have a "know your enemy" section which is devoted to grunge and alternative rock. Just kidding, I do enjoy my share of Seattle bands every once in a while and I'm actually relieved they killed the Sunset Strip, or else I'd have been bound to buy hair metal records 'til my dying day... which I probably will anyway... DOH!

Can't believe you split Sabbath's albums up! I would never do that, but I understand that if you're being as specific as having a 70s/classic rock section differentiated from a regular heavy metal section, then I can see why you do it. Still, I think it would look awesome to look at the collection and see this mass of Black Sabbath CDs all together. As you have probably seen from my photo earlier in this thread, I don't actually have that many (although 'Dehumanizer was left out of the picture...). 

I'm waiting for the Tony Martin albums to be re-released. I really hope they make this happen soon! 

2 hours ago, True Belief said:

I've read Blotzer's book. Another good one is Bobby Dall's book about Poison. Highly recommended.

Bobby Dall's book sounds awesome. I'd get it but i can't find any reference to its existence. What's the actual title? 

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

Still, I think it would look awesome to look at the collection and see this mass of Black Sabbath CDs all together. As you have probably seen from my photo earlier in this thread, I don't actually have that many (although 'Dehumanizer was left out of the picture...). 

To quote The Mentors... YOU AXED FOR IT! :D

This is the Black Sabbath stuff. Out of the three Black Sabbath billed concert tickets at the front, one is from a concert that never was. The june 2012 Italian show was cancelled due to Iommi's lymphoma. Ozzy and friends (Slash, Zakk Wylde, bunch of others) played instead, but I did not attend the show in the end. That day I was "lying on the beach, taking in the rays, listening to Deep Purple reminiscing of old days" (in case anyone wonders, it's a Saxon quote), so I couldn't be bothered to drive all the way back to Milan. I still blame myself for that stupid laziness. At least I did go to see the very first show of Black Sabbath's latest reunion in Birmingham. Sharon was in the attendance. She was in the balcony. Best concert of my life (definitely the single most relevant from an historic point of view). I was lucky enough to catch Heaven and Hell in Italy in 2009. They shared the bill with Motley Crue, Queensryche, Tesla, Lita Ford, Voivod, Marty Friedman, Buckcherry and some other bands. What a bill!

2cdjzm1.jpg

This is Ozzy solo stuff I have. Once again, only first pressings because of the awful remixes, rerecordings, remasters and cover butchering of the reissues. They are all European editions, save for "Diary of a Madman", which is American. You can also see an incredible soundboard double bootleg called "Let's Get Crazy". It's phenomenal: it consists of two shows, one from the "Bark at the Moon" tour and the other from "The Ultimate Sin" tour, which means that both shows feature Jake E Lee. I love Jake and I thank the bootleggers for giving me the chance to have his rendition of "Mr. Crowley". "Mr. Crowley" ranks without a doubt among my top 10 songs ever. I often find myself listening to every live version of it in a row. I'm not putting the stuff on my bed because, as you can see, this is literally a WALL of CD's and if I remove more than 2 at a time, it would collapse!

2j5zadf.jpg

Finally, the DIO collection. I have 3 different CD's of "Holy Diver". :D Biggest regret of my life is missing Dio in Milan in 2003. I was 15. Dio is the man (on and off the silver mountain, he is).

6pual2.jpg

21 hours ago, Skull_Kollektor said:

I forgot to put the Heaven N Hell album and the "The Dio Years" compilation by Black Sabbath (which featured 3 release-only tracks)... Nevermind...oh and the "We Rock" DVD too..

Oh man what a Dio collection. This is great.

Ozzy's solo career is some of my favourite music ever, and that bootleg that you speak of sounds amazing. I might have to keep an eye out for 'Let's Get Crazy' on ebay. I love Jake E Lee too and the Ozzy era from 1980 to 1988 is pretty untouchable for me (although of course I love 'Tears' and even 'Ozzmosis' too). I have to track down that bootleg. 

Yeah I'm with you, he has an amazing catalogue! I mean, there's songs (especially on "Blizzard") that have been played to death and yet I'm never getting tired of them. "Crazy Train" anyone? :D

I just wish he and his band played "Over the Mountain" more often!

I think that "Let's Get Crazy" is a pretty good release. Unfortunately the shows are incomplete and the one from "Bark at the Moon" sounds better than the other one, but I find them perfectly listenable. I'm probably biased, though...

Speaking about the guitar slingers that were "scouted" by Ozzy and Dio (or, more accurately, by Dana Strum and Jimmy Bain), it's amazing how poor Jake E Lee got screwed up by both! It's pretty obvious that the riff of Dio's "Don't Talk to Strangers" is the product of Jake E Lee's guitar proficiency, yet that song and the title track are the only ones off the "Holy Diver" record that were credited solely to Ronnie Dio (no band contribution). Come on, you can assume that Dio wrote "Holy Diver"'s riff by himself on a bass (actually it is not too far removed from "Heaven and Hell" and both are in A minor, like so many other hard'n'heavy riffs), but how the hell could he pretend to have come up with a riff like "Don't Talk To Strangers"'? NO WAY! Jake himself has said in many interviews that it was his own riff... Ozzy and Sharon did even worse than Ronnie and Wendy (Dio's wife... who actually was Aynsley Dumbar's EX wife... Aynsley whose 60's band was Aynsley Dumbar's Retaliation, whom were covered by Black Sabbath on their debut album - the song is "The Warning"... Aynsley who drummed for John Mayall and the original Journey incarnation... Aynsely who played drums on Whitesnake's breakthrough album, "1987" or "Serperns Albus or "Whitesnake" alongside John Sykes who was one of the three guitarists that Jimmy Bain had recommended to Dio for his solo band... Aynsley who played drums on... JAKE E LEE's solo album "Retraced" in 2005 alongside Tim Bogert... who used to play with Carmine Appice in Vanilla Fudge, Cactus and Beck, Bogert & Appice... Carmine who drummed for Ozzy when Jake was in the band during part of the "Bark at the Moon" tour, until Sharon kicked him out for, allegedly, stealing the show and being too visually loud on a stage that belonged to Ozzy... and, naturally, Carmine who founded King Kobra right after... and... Carmine who is brother to Dio's original drummer Vinny Appice of Derringer, Axis, Black Sabbath, WWIII and many more's fame... I could go on, but I'll stop :D).

Sorry for the excursus in brackets... back to Ozzy and Sharon: the whole "Bark at the Moon" album is credited to Ozzy! Music & Lyrics! Could you imagine Ozzy coming up with "Bark at the moon's" monster riff? NO FUCKING WAY (would Eric Adams say)!

So... those riffs, TO ME, represent the "Riffs à la Jake E Lee". On my old laptop I have a playlist with a few dozen songs each and every one of which starts with a "Riff à la Jake E Lee". To give you an example: GARY MOORE's "SPEAK FOR YOURSELF"! As Jake-y as it gets!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-4-27 at 7:26 AM, Skull_Kollektor said:

Yeah I'm with you, he has an amazing catalogue! I mean, there's songs (especially on "Blizzard") that have been played to death and yet I'm never getting tired of them. "Crazy Train" anyone? :D

I just wish he and his band played "Over the Mountain" more often!

I think that "Let's Get Crazy" is a pretty good release. Unfortunately the shows are incomplete and the one from "Bark at the Moon" sounds better than the other one, but I find them perfectly listenable. I'm probably biased, though...

Speaking about the guitar slingers that were "scouted" by Ozzy and Dio (or, more accurately, by Dana Strum and Jimmy Bain), it's amazing how poor Jake E Lee got screwed up by both! It's pretty obvious that the riff of Dio's "Don't Talk to Strangers" is the product of Jake E Lee's guitar proficiency, yet that song and the title track are the only ones off the "Holy Diver" record that were credited solely to Ronnie Dio (no band contribution). Come on, you can assume that Dio wrote "Holy Diver"'s riff by himself on a bass (actually it is not too far removed from "Heaven and Hell" and both are in A minor, like so many other hard'n'heavy riffs), but how the hell could he pretend to have come up with a riff like "Don't Talk To Strangers"'? NO WAY! Jake himself has said in many interviews that it was his own riff... Ozzy and Sharon did even worse than Ronnie and Wendy (Dio's wife... who actually was Aynsley Dumbar's EX wife... Aynsley whose 60's band was Aynsley Dumbar's Retaliation, whom were covered by Black Sabbath on their debut album - the song is "The Warning"... Aynsley who drummed for John Mayall and the original Journey incarnation... Aynsely who played drums on Whitesnake's breakthrough album, "1987" or "Serperns Albus or "Whitesnake" alongside John Sykes who was one of the three guitarists that Jimmy Bain had recommended to Dio for his solo band... Aynsley who played drums on... JAKE E LEE's solo album "Retraced" in 2005 alongside Tim Bogert... who used to play with Carmine Appice in Vanilla Fudge, Cactus and Beck, Bogert & Appice... Carmine who drummed for Ozzy when Jake was in the band during part of the "Bark at the Moon" tour, until Sharon kicked him out for, allegedly, stealing the show and being too visually loud on a stage that belonged to Ozzy... and, naturally, Carmine who founded King Kobra right after... and... Carmine who is brother to Dio's original drummer Vinny Appice of Derringer, Axis, Black Sabbath, WWIII and many more's fame... I could go on, but I'll stop :D).

Sorry for the excursus in brackets... back to Ozzy and Sharon: the whole "Bark at the Moon" album is credited to Ozzy! Music & Lyrics! Could you imagine Ozzy coming up with "Bark at the moon's" monster riff? NO FUCKING WAY (would Eric Adams say)!

So... those riffs, TO ME, represent the "Riffs à la Jake E Lee". On my old laptop I have a playlist with a few dozen songs each and every one of which starts with a "Riff à la Jake E Lee". To give you an example: GARY MOORE's "SPEAK FOR YOURSELF"! As Jake-y as it gets!

Great post. Sorry I missed it until now. 

At one point Ozzy claimed that he wrote the 'Bark at the Moon' album with one finger on a piano, oh the lies.

Apparently Jake E Lee wouldn't hand over any of the riffs he wrote for 'The Ultimate Sin' until Sharon gave him a proper lock-in contract so that he could get credit and payment. At least he got those things but then booted out. I have a feeling if memory serves that Bob Daisley wrote all the lyrics for 'Bark at the Moon' for a one off payment. So yeah, the 'All songs by Ozzy Osbourne' foolishness is a total nonsense on that album as he didn't write a damn thing. Imagine the nerve, trying to tell the press that he wrote all those incredible guitar riffs with one finger on a piano. Even in a drunken haze how could anyone disrespect the songwriter and themselves to that extent. 

Then they wouldn't pay Phil Soussan properly for 'Shot in the Dark' on 'The Ultimate Sin'. I mean, it just goes on and on...

It just amazes me how much of a sociopath Sharon is, and how much of a goddamn walk-over Ozzy is. Everyone blames Sharon, and that's ok on some level because clearly she is the mastermind, but Ozzy follows around like a damn dog. How could he even consider those buffoons Rob Trujillo and Mike Bordin re-recording the drum and bass on the first two albums?? How any of that got off the ground at all, by the participants, the record label, and Ozzy, is just beyond me. It makes me angry, even today. 

Skully, have you got Bob Daisley's book 'For Facts Sake'? If you don't have it, please get it. It's incredible and exposes all the details of these matters. 

On 2017-5-14 at 9:05 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

I mean, musically speaking, Trujillo and Bordin are anything but buffoons, but yeah, that was a dumb move on everyone's part.

Anyone who takes a fistful of cash in exchange for taping over the original players of a classic album is getting away lightly by being called a buffoon. 

mayhem_collection_may_17.jpg

Updated Mayhem collection

Includes: 

Copies of letters from Euronymous to the Turkish promoter in 1990 including passport pages/photos of Euronymous and Dead and the addresses of his contacts including a young Sakis Tolis (Rotting Christ). 

16 versions of 'Freezing Moon' including 12 unique versions (studio/live/covers).

22 CDs including all studio albums plus three of the four full live shows played with the 'Dead/Euronymous' line-up (Leipzig, Zeitz, Sarpsborg), as well as the 'Out from the Dark' rehearsal CD with Dead on vocals and the already rare 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Alive' CD. Also the 'Life Eternal' edition of 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' put out by Attila from a studio tape in A5 size with cards, hand numbering and Attila's account of the recording of the album. Also my copy of 'Grand Declaration of War' is personally signed by Maniac, Necrobutcher, Blasphemer and Hellhammer during an instore here in Melbourne.

Necrobutcher's glorious book 'Mayhem - The Death Archives 1984-1994' featuring 260 pages of rare/unseen photos and autobiographical text. Includes dozens of photos of Euronymous I've never seen before and, incredibly, Necrobutcher's bus pass and ID photo from 1984 when he was 16. 

4 garments including the legendary Euronymous jacket. See below. 

jacket_front.jpg

Front. 

jacket_back.jpg

Back.