Favorite Records of 2014 so far?

Os Abysmi Vel Daath

Well guys it has been quite some time since I've been around, and so far 2014 has been a pretty fucking awesome year for metal. So I would definitely love to hear your, say, top five records that have come out so far this year. Of course with impending At the Gates and Bloodbath records, my list will probably end up changing. :D But for now: 5. Mastodon - Once More Round the Sun (Still nowhere near as awesome as their earlier records, but a huge leap above The Hunter) 4. Morbus Chron - Sweven (first album I've heard by these guys, and I am pretty impressed) 3. Nachtmystium - The World We Left Behind (I know this one got a mixed response, but I'm a fan, regardless of Judd's terrible behavior of late) 2. Behemoth - The Satanist (What an epic slab of beautifully brutal melodic metal) And....... 1. Triptykon - Melana Chasmata (This was almost a guaranteed number 1 for me, as Tom Warrior is one of my heroes. I think it's awesome that he's putting out some of his best work this late in his career.) So how about you guys?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked The Satanist, though I'm not a huge Behemoth fan. The Tryptikon album seemed good, but I haven't gone back to it since my first listen. I like the new Dead Congregation, had a favorable impression of the new Tombs, love the latest Swans (not metal). I haven't had a chance to listen to much of anything the past month or two, though.

I liked The Satanist' date=' though I'm not a huge Behemoth fan. The Tryptikon album seemed good, but I haven't gone back to it since my first listen. I like the new Dead Congregation, had a favorable impression of the new Tombs, love the latest Swans (not metal). I haven't had a chance to listen to much of anything the past month or two, though.[/quote'] Yeah, funny enough, Behemoth had never really hit me that hard until I heard the Satanist. I need to go back and check out their back catalog now. The new Tombs record is cool too, but I was a bigger fan of Path of Totality. And I haven't been able to get into Swans. I really should though. I know so many people who swear by The Seer and To Be Kind.

Those people are Johnny come lately idiots. :D Children Of God, Filth, Cop, The Great Annihilator, the Various Failures mid period collection, and the first two Angels Of Light albums are where it's at. Start with Children Of God. I'm kidding, To Be Kind is amazing, but it's not a great starting place IMO. Their earliest material was so direct and brutal at times.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont listen to much new material, I'm a bit of a tortoise in that regard unless I feel a real urgency to check an album out. But, I also really love The Satanist, its better than Apostasy and on the level of Demigod, but not in the same discussion as Thelema.6 which I believe to be the overall best material Behemoth ever put out. Satanist is top three for sure, not too overproduced and the songwriting has real life to it that was missing in recent releases.

I'll tell you what' date=' I can't fucking believe October is almost over. I feel like spring just happened. I won't catch up on new releases for a while, and fuck 2015 for sneaking up on me like that.[/quote'] I know the feeling. This year went crazy fast. I've only been so on top of new releases because I'm writing reviews and stuff. It would have taken me ages to get around to say the new 1349 or Electric Wizard otherwise.

It's cool you get an opportunity to do that. I don't think I'd have the time, lately I've felt lucky if I'm able to listen to more than a half hour of music in a day. When you review, do you listen to something a few times over the course of several days, or do you generally go with your first impressions? Do you find that reviewing has changed the way you listen to music?

Blut does your band play just locally or are you all over?
We've played one show in Denver, the rest have been local. We just filled our drummer role after having it empty for the past 2 years, so we didn't have a ton of time to gain momentum, especially since our last drummer wasn't very good. We're not averse to the idea, we just need to get live ready again, and hopefully we can get to the point where we can do more gigs in other places. Festivals would be ideal, as we can do those on weekends, missing work is tough when you run a business.

It's cool you get an opportunity to do that. I don't think I'd have the time' date=' lately I've felt lucky if I'm able to listen to more than a half hour of music in a day. When you review, do you listen to something a few times over the course of several days, or do you generally go with your first impressions? Do you find that reviewing has changed the way you listen to music?[/quote'] If I get the opportunity, like if I get a promo ahead of time, I like to listen to it over the course of a few days, because I feel that's a better way to go. My ratings have changed considerably that way. But if I'm wanting to get a review up on or at least around release day and I haven't had a chance to listen to it until then, I'll often listen to it a couple of times and then write. I prefer not doing it that way if I can. First impressions often aren't super reliable and there have been a couple of times I've regretted a review done that way. The new Electric Wizard comes to mind - I gave it an 9/10 which I deeply regret. I don't know what I was thinking! It's a good record but that's the highest rating I've given an album yet for the site, and it just doesn't deserve it. I'm still learning how to do this, that's for sure. As for it changing the way I listen, I do think I've been more attentive to details in records. One thing I do try to avoid is rating every record I listen to. Even though I review albums, I dislike applying a numerical value to music, especially music I like. If I had my way I'd just write about my impressions and leave it at that. But a number value is expected - people want to be able to not read the review, scroll to the bottom and read the rating.

If I get the opportunity, like if I get a promo ahead of time, I like to listen to it over the course of a few days, because I feel that's a better way to go. My ratings have changed considerably that way. But if I'm wanting to get a review up on or at least around release day and I haven't had a chance to listen to it until then, I'll often listen to it a couple of times and then write. I prefer not doing it that way if I can. First impressions often aren't super reliable and there have been a couple of times I've regretted a review done that way. The new Electric Wizard comes to mind - I gave it an 9/10 which I deeply regret. I don't know what I was thinking! It's a good record but that's the highest rating I've given an album yet for the site, and it just doesn't deserve it. I'm still learning how to do this, that's for sure. As for it changing the way I listen, I do think I've been more attentive to details in records. One thing I do try to avoid is rating every record I listen to. Even though I review albums, I dislike applying a numerical value to music, especially music I like. If I had my way I'd just write about my impressions and leave it at that. But a number value is expected - people want to be able to not read the review, scroll to the bottom and read the rating.
That's actually great; it sounds like it's made you more conscious of the development of your appreciation for albums, rather than turning you into a superficial listener. Whenever I'm checking out a lot of new stuff, I can't afford to spend a ton of time with it - case in point, it took me months to get back to the Tryptikon album even though I had a decent impression of it the first time through. I just don't have the time these days. By the way, have you checked out any old Swans yet?

That's actually great; it sounds like it's made you more conscious of the development of your appreciation for albums, rather than turning you into a superficial listener. Whenever I'm checking out a lot of new stuff, I can't afford to spend a ton of time with it - case in point, it took me months to get back to the Tryptikon album even though I had a decent impression of it the first time through. I just don't have the time these days. By the way, have you checked out any old Swans yet?
I haven't! I really need to though.

It's October so no list from me yet. But the year has been a good year for new stuff and although I have had less time to spend with music there are some standout releases. In the face of the media telling us how dead the music industry is it's comforting to know that I find everything I need to satisfy my taste and appetite each year through Bandcamp, Big Cartel etc.

It's October so no list from me yet. But the year has been a good year for new stuff and although I have had less time to spend with music there are some standout releases. In the face of the media telling us how dead the music industry is it's comforting to know that I find everything I need to satisfy my taste and appetite each year through Bandcamp' date=' Big Cartel etc.[/quote'] Those sites are great. Although for what er reason the majority of albums I've bought from them have been from my other love, the underground electronic scene. I did buy the new Panopticon from his Big Cartel page though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard a lot 2014 albums, but these are probably my favorites: - Insomnium - Shadows of the Dying Sun - Alcest - Shelter - Architects - Lost Forever // Lost Together - Evergrey - Hymns for the Broken - Maybeshewill - Fair Youth - Solstafir - Ótta - Doom:VS - Earthless - The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream - Ophis - Abhorrence In Oppulence - Skyforest - Aftermath Biggest disappointmemts: Anathema, Opeth and Ghost Brigade