Whatcha Eatin'?

RelentlessOblivion

because I despise the notion of political correctness' date=' it's just another way to say double speak. As far as I'm concerned, if you can't at least laugh about the problems of the world, you're taking things too seriously.[/quote'] Should we discuss this next on the What's On Your Mind thread? We might have reached an impasse on the previous topic where we've just got a fundamental disagreement. However, given how you've demonstrated your knowledge of Hinduism you might want to check out Rudra. They have fairly Hindu lyrics about self-fulfillment and purpose in finding your own way, and maybe you'll like that and the music.

well I know what my least favourite "food" is' date=' the garbage served by virtually all fast food joints I have ever had the displeasure of eating.[/quote'] Then thou hast not suffered. McDonald's was gourmet compared to the rubbish I had to eat at my cafeteria, which actually gave me some pretty nasty diarrhea. Even now, at a university where I have to pay $14 a meal for every single meal, the food is usually horrible. I even made a comic about it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]485[/ATTACH] This is much funnier if you've seen FMA, but you'll probably get it anyway.

There isn't much worse out there than terrible food or terrible beverages. You would think that with essentials like that, there would be a limit for how low you could possibly sink and still pass it off as something consumable, but we have certainly scraped through the bottom of that barrel and are now subterranean. I may be a bit of a snob with most things, especially food, music, and beer, but I can still have lower quality food here and be fine with it, I even enjoy it once in a while. That said, there are limits on how low I can go and frequently I can do it, and my tolerance for shit has decreased as I have aged.

Should we discuss this next on the What's On Your Mind thread? We might have reached an impasse on the previous topic where we've just got a fundamental disagreement. However, given how you've demonstrated your knowledge of Hinduism you might want to check out Rudra. They have fairly Hindu lyrics about self-fulfillment and purpose in finding your own way, and maybe you'll like that and the music.
Yeah, I think that we just might have worn that argument out. All of the basic points have been covered, and I guess that we could go a bit more in depth, but there are definitely some fundamental differences that we aren't changing each other's minds about. Oh well, it's not as though it hasn't been fun, I wish I had more people that I could converse with about bigger issues like that. Edgar will for a minute, but he always wants to get into politics as opposed to philosophy or religion, which I simply can't stand. As with political correctness, politics is a form of double speak, saying one thing while meaning and doing another. Since you have pandered to the crowd and won their approval, they just don't seem to care, and then when another issue arises you just talk your way out of it. Diplomacy has a place and all, but if people just wouldn't get their panties in a twist so easily, it wouldn't be needed at all.

Yeah' date=' I think that we just might have worn that argument out. All of the basic points have been covered, and I guess that we could go a bit more in depth, but there are definitely some fundamental differences that we aren't changing each other's minds about. Oh well, it's not as though it hasn't been fun, I wish I had more people that I could converse with about bigger issues like that. Edgar will for a minute, but he always wants to get into politics as opposed to philosophy or religion, which I simply can't stand. As with political correctness, politics is a form of double speak, saying one thing while meaning and doing another. Since you have pandered to the crowd and won their approval, they just don't seem to care, and then when another issue arises you just talk your way out of it. Diplomacy has a place and all, but if people just wouldn't get their panties in a twist so easily, it wouldn't be needed at all.[/quote'] And political science is the endeavor of doing the real research so that things don't fall to pieces...which is why I want to do it! Political correctness is the exercise of concealing the truth for the sake of people's feelings. It stems from a belief that you personally know better than the people you're trying not to offend, and as a result you've elected to mercifully spare them the awful truth of speaking your mind. That, or a cynical belief that dishonesty and populism are the best policies.

And political science is the endeavor of doing the real research so that things don't fall to pieces...which is why I want to do it! Political correctness is the exercise of concealing the truth for the sake of people's feelings. It stems from a belief that you personally know better than the people you're trying not to offend, and as a result you've elected to mercifully spare them the awful truth of speaking your mind. That, or a cynical belief that dishonesty and populism are the best policies.
Maybe we don't have much to discuss on the issue, since we seem to be in agreement. All political correctness does is tiptoe around the real issue and try to make it seem like something it's not. You can call yourself a "sanitation engineer" all that you want, at the end of the day, you're still handling other people's garbage. The difference is that handling garbage is not only nothing to be ashamed of, it's an absolutely crucial function in our society, especially considering the disposable nature of everything in the modern world.

it's a shame you can't get decent food at your cafeteria Iceman the food at my uni's cafeteria is great, in cooler weather I can get a chillied beef and cheese pie, a piece of tiramasu and an iced coffee for ten dollars and when it's warmer I can get a chilli, coriander and chicker roll or a turkey and cranberry sauce roll plus the same two extras for twelve dollars

The only food available at work for me is frozen crap dishes from a vending machine, and then the we are places in the middle of nowhere,... So the only way to have good food is to cook it yourself. Something im not bad at, just lazy enough to always forget it. Thats why im cooking at this hour, two hours past midnight...

it's a shame you can't get decent food at your cafeteria Iceman the food at my uni's cafeteria is great' date=' in cooler weather I can get a chillied beef and cheese pie, a piece of tiramasu and an iced coffee for ten dollars and when it's warmer I can get a chilli, coriander and chicker roll or a turkey and cranberry sauce roll plus the same two extras for twelve dollars[/quote'] Tiramisu? Wow, I could really go for that. The funny thing is that my university is renowned for being apparently the preppiest campus in the United States, attended by royalty and the children of CEOs, located in the best part of Washington, D.C... and yet the food would suggest I'm anywhere else in middle America. Luckily, they just got spicy chicken wraps in, so I'll be stocking up on those.

Tiramisu? Wow' date=' I could really go for that. The funny thing is that my university is renowned for being apparently the preppiest campus in the United States, attended by royalty and the children of CEOs, located in the best part of Washington, D.C... and yet the food would suggest I'm anywhere else in middle America. Luckily, they just got spicy chicken wraps in, so I'll be stocking up on those.[/quote'] If Man V Food is anything to go by, it seems that junk food is considered a right of passage by some students lol !

extreme quantity is no substitute for extreme quality
True. I also don't glorify the tradition of stuffing your face that is celebrated in my country, but some of the food on that show does look pretty good, and as long as you're not doing it frequently (look how much weight he's gained since the show started) I don't think that there's anything wrong with it. He did a challenge here in Utah at a sushi place named Kobe Cho, it was called the Hellfire Challenge with progressively hotter spicy tuna rolls. Edgar and I tried it a while back, and even though we're both seasoned spicy food veterans, neither of us could best the challenge, and neither could the guy on the show. Not all of the challenges are about quantity, it's about more extreme food in general. Also, if you want to see some fucking crazy eating, check out the guys at Epic Meal Time, they have a YouTube video series that takes calorie consumption to the extreme. These guys are insane: m9FRSghXhDM

True. I also don't glorify the tradition of stuffing your face that is celebrated in my country, but some of the food on that show does look pretty good, and as long as you're not doing it frequently (look how much weight he's gained since the show started) I don't think that there's anything wrong with it. He did a challenge here in Utah at a sushi place named Kobe Cho, it was called the Hellfire Challenge with progressively hotter spicy tuna rolls. Edgar and I tried it a while back, and even though we're both seasoned spicy food veterans, neither of us could best the challenge, and neither could the guy on the show. Not all of the challenges are about quantity, it's about more extreme food in general. Also, if you want to see some fucking crazy eating, check out the guys at Epic Meal Time, they have a YouTube video series that takes calorie consumption to the extreme. These guys are insane: m9FRSghXhDM
I never liked Epic Meal time, it made me feel ill. As for the spice challenge; when does it stop being spicy and start being straight-up toxic? I imagine battery acid would make the tongue tingle right before it melted your head. My spice tolerance is pathetic, but not as bad as my weakling cousins. I am dead serious, they found Pace salsa unbearably hot. Pace, for goodness' sake. That's so mild that they could market it in Britain.

Re: favourite food/drinks/restuarants

Yeah' date=' I hate eating contests. A guilty part of me does enjoy MVF, though. I think it might be because he does really enthuse over his food rather than single-mindedly cramming.[/quote'] That's what I'm talking about, he's not just pounding anything, he takes the time to view the recipes and comment on the flavors, it's not just all about quantity. Also, eating large portions can be fine, but we Americans seem to forget that doing so in front of the TV will have negative effects on our health, in addition to many shows decaying our minds. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

in addition to many shows decaying our minds.
Pawn Stars stands out as an excellent example of this. Just about any auction show seems interminably boring and I fail to see how anyone could find them in some regard entertaining. I seem to recall having seen a bit of some teen mom show on MTV once and it was terrible. What irritates me the most about these shows is how much they pander to the audience. I have to wonder whether the people who make them aren't actually just creating an incredibly clever satire that massages the ego of the viewer with sarcastic flattery.

I saw a bit of Big Brother and it was fascinating to me. It's almost as if the people who created it wanted to make the reality show of all reality shows, so essentially they decided to combine a peep show with whining, big celebrity egos and the occasional terrible habit. I also remember a little gem called Wife Swap, and basically it was an excuse to watch people's 'paradigms shift without a clutch', to quote Dogbert. Still, maybe it was just a massive excuse to encourage fidelity in a nation where divorce is becoming more and more common.

Re: favourite food/drinks/restuarants Reality TV is all contrived and uninteresting bullshit. They negate the supposed reality element by scripting and forcing situations, and usually it's just a way to laugh at dumb people on TV, which brings you down to their level of intelligence in the process. They also paint pretty poor pictures of cultures, for instance, not everybody from New Jersey is a fist pumping spray tanned Guido retard, it's called The Garden State and is green and not completely populated by shitheads. Not all Gypsies are inbred sluts, not all Armenians are spoiled rich bitches, not every housewife is a brain dead plastic fuck doll, etc... They homogenize cultures, kill your attention span by making over half of the episode about recapping previous events and previewing what's to come, and give you stupid cheap thrills, but not in the good sort of B movie way. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Re: favourite food/drinks/restuarants

Reality TV is all contrived and uninteresting bullshit. They negate the supposed reality element by scripting and forcing situations, and usually it's just a way to laugh at dumb people on TV, which brings you down to their level of intelligence in the process. They also paint pretty poor pictures of cultures, for instance, not everybody from New Jersey is a fist pumping spray tanned Guido retard, it's called The Garden State and is green and not completely populated by shitheads. Not all Gypsies are inbred sluts, not all Armenians are spoiled rich bitches, not every housewife is a brain dead plastic fuck doll, etc... They homogenize cultures, kill your attention span by making over half of the episode about recapping previous events and previewing what's to come, and give you stupid cheap thrills, but not in the good sort of B movie way. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
fuckin preach that BAN!!