The best black metal band? have your say

Anthony Smith

I don't listen to a whole lot, so it's easier for me to at least give it a go. Diabolical Masquerade is great, but probably not my favorite. Chthonic have black metal elements but aren't really a black metal group. My preliminary prejudice is toward Belenos, Carach Angren, Crimson Moonlight or Renascent. Probably Renascent.

Re: The best black metal band? have your say

I don't listen to a whole lot' date=' so it's easier for me to at least give it a go. Diabolical Masquerade is great, but probably not my favorite. Chthonic have black metal elements but aren't really a black metal group. My preliminary prejudice is toward Belenos, Carach Angren, Crimson Moonlight or Renascent. Probably Renascent.[/quote'] I just discovered Belenos recently, really great stuff. They almost remind me of a warmer older Enslaved, a bit more foresty and less frosty sounding. I need to get some of their albums, bit my French black metal selection is severely lacking overall. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Its not humanly possible to reduce it to a single band at least perhaps not in the epoch of the early scene, with so much quality material from so many different bands its impossible. For now, when all and or most has been done, the only black metal band I see writing material in a consistent and powerful fashion would be Absu and Inquisition. The former will only exist for one more album before Proscriptor calls out his legacy for Absu being the greatest American black metal band, and Inquisition who from the early days has delivered in a regular fashion varied black metal from melodic/acoustic sections to thrashing and pummeling ritualistic bm. I have enjoyed every Inquisition LP that has ever come out which is more than I can say for any other band, except for maybe Absu and the middle-era Graveland. So my vote goes to Inquisition

I just discovered Belenos recently' date=' really great stuff. They almost remind me of a warmer older Enslaved, a bit more foresty and less frosty sounding. I need to get some of their albums, bit my French black metal selection is severely lacking overall.[/quote'] I forgot to mention a couple of other really great bands. Aes Dana is not as good as Belenos in my opinion but they're very similar - and still worth listening to. Also, I mentioned Bran Barr on your black metal recommendations thread because I thought they were just spectacular. In terms of folk metal they're right up there with Svartsot and Heidevolk.

Re: The best black metal band? have your say I think I'm going to go with Blut Aus Nord for my top selection (big surprise), for having released multiple masterpieces in different varieties of black metal. My favorite black metal album will likely always be De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, but they're not as consistent as BAN. As far as other bands releasing multiple wonderful albums that would be honorable mentions for me would be Inquisition, Bathory, Mercyful Fate, Taake, and Burzum. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

There are too many bands I like in variation of what I feel like at the time. I could probably do a small list. But due to that it would be really patriotic (90% Swedish) Im not going to.
Nothing wrong with that, Dissection, Mörk Gryning, Arckanum, Sacramentum, Necrophobic, Ondskapt, Watain, Shining, Craft, Marduk, Opthalamia, Niden Div 187, Dawn, Vinterland, The Black, Nifelheim, Bestial Mockery, Treblinka, Grotesque, Bathory, etc..., I would say that you have some good local stuff to choose from. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Well. Nifelheim, Watain, Craft, Bathory, Armagedda, Arckanum, The Black, Ofermod, Ondskapt, Funeral Mist, Lord Beilial, Marduk, Vinterland, Opthalamia, Siebenburgen, Dissection, Setherial, Mörk Gryning, Malign and Bestial Mockery are all good. Otherwise. Mgla, Horna, Deströyer 666, Satanic Warmaster, Windir, Behexen, Barathrum, Grimnir, Black Shadow, Drudkh, Darkthrone, Gehenna, Sarcofago and Szron are some good ones.

All of those bands in terms of creativity have peaked and flowed, maybe Arckanum has been the most creative but I can't sit through some of their older stuff without thinking they are the poor man's Taake. Lots of riffs, good songs, but nowhere near the sheer epic power of Taake. Bathory would be the biggest exception, but even then his actual bm era is more or less just three albums. Never cared for third tier worthless shit like Mork Gryning and Grotesque

All of those bands in terms of creativity have peaked and flowed' date=' maybe Arckanum has been the most creative but I can't sit through some of their older stuff without thinking they are the poor man's Taake. Lots of riffs, good songs, but nowhere near the sheer epic power of Taake. Bathory would be the biggest exception, but even then his actual bm era is more or less just three albums. Never cared for third tier worthless shit like Mork Gryning and Grotesque[/quote'] I don't get people lumping Blood Fire Death into the viking era, that album is high speed thrashy black metal. The first and last songs are more epic, but aren't really much different from other epic black metal songs that had done before like Enter the Eternal Fire, other than some added complexity. The Taake/Arckanum comparison makes a bit of sense, except that Taake sound Norwegian and Arckanum sound Swedish, but both have a high degree of consistency and are among the best one man black metal bands. I'm not sure why people place Mork Gryning on a lower scale than other Swedish black metal bands, their songwriting and melodies are just as good as Dawn's, Sacramentum's, or Vinterland's IMO. Grotesque was one of the earliest Swedish black metal bands after Bathory and Treblinka, so I'm not sure how they would qualify as third tier either...

well talk about your loaded questions, this is like asking what process ignited the big bang, actually no scratch that the latter is an easier question to answer. Obviously we all have our favourites but favourite doesn't translate as best, ummm I'd have to agree with RtC about Absu being right near the top of the list

It can be tough to pick favorites when you have hundreds of black metal albums, but I stand by my decision. I can maybe think of a few albums I would rank above some of Blut Aus Nord's best, but I can't think of any other band that has produced so many albums that range from excellent to perfection. There's certainly plenty of merit behind other picks that have been made, in fact I would say most of what has been listed could arguably be great answers. It all comes back to personal preference though.

• 2 weeks later...
thank you guys i haveant heard of some these bands' date=' looking them up on youtube, iam impressed and downloading some now, thank you and live it loud[/quote'] You should check out the thread in this section titled Recommendations, I've been doing a series of video recommendations for another user here (and anyone else that wants to check them out, really), and using the videos takes the leg work out for people that are looking. I'm not sure how many videos I have up now, but it's probably nearing 100, so that might be a good place to start.

Out of my somewhat small collection of black metal' date=' Naglfar is probably my favorite.[/quote'] You should definitely give Sorhin, Dissection, Sacramentum, Dawn, Mork Gryning, Necrophobic (after their first album), and Unanimated a listen then. Similar sounds to Naglfar, but with a much deeper and more fulfilling sense of songwriting. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

and Immortal' date=' they sould a little bit the same I think though that could just be my inferior knowledge of metal in general and black metal (in this case) specifically[/quote'] Perhaps with their newer albums I can see a bit of similarity to the bands that I mentioned, having a more riff heavy but still melodic approach, but without the death metal element that many of the bands I mentioned have in their sound. Immortal's early work is quite different though, much more in line with the standard Norwegian black metal sound, as they were there to help create it. Pure Holocaust is probably the best of those albums, raw, blasty, and a bit sloppy, with the typical Norwegian atmosphere and Grieghallen production.