Anger Thread!

RelentlessOblivion

What you're describing sounds to me more like a balanced atheist or theist. Agnosticism, as I'm given to understand, is merely the acknowledgement of the idea that humanity cannot completely comprehend the truth, which is a part of essentially every religion in the world. Choosing not to pick a theological side (or making a new one) doesn't make any sense, unless:

Solving this question for me was never a top priority and isn't something that haunts me or tugs at me as some sort of thing to solve or discover or have a conviction over.
Fair enough, but that's a disposition I've never understood.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that could be because faith is so important to you Iceni. It's hardly surprising that an individual who feels such things are very important may struggle to understand why others don't place any importance on it at all. I don't really place much importance on proving or disproving the existance of the divine either for the record.

But that could be because faith is so important to you Iceni. It's hardly surprising that an individual who feels such things are very important may struggle to understand why others don't place any importance on it at all.
It shouldn't. I've heard some people criticize Pascal's wager by saying that spending your life in piety for it all to mean nothing is truly a waste when you could have spent your time doing something more fun and/or productive, and I'm inclined to agree. If there really isn't a God then I'm not living as I could. For anyone to have little interest in the fundamental nature of the universe and of truth itself is just completely incomprehensible to me. Just to put in a caveat, I'm not trying to be insulting. This just strikes me as a little bizarre.

It shouldn't. If there really isn't a God then I'm not living as I could.
I too, have a hard time relating to this, much as you do to my sort of... lack of need to know or have conviction. Why /not/ continue living as you currently do? I can't say I would live any differently if I did discover there truly was NO god.

Why /not/ continue living as you currently do? I can't say I would live any differently if I did discover there truly was NO god.
Fair enough. Why not continue living as I do? Well personally, if I didn't think there was a God I would probably simply get welfare and spend my time doing exactly what I wanted. Chances are I'd also commit suicide once I realized that there'd be no pain for me once I died and my life meant nothing in the grand scheme of things. Crap, I'm being depressing again.

Re: The Rant

And on that note, WTH does "spiritual" even mean? I've heard people say "I'm not religious but I'm spiritual" and I'm like... wut... Belief in spirits? Belief in bullsh*t like reiki and "vibes" and auras? I have no idea. I personally never got that explanation. I've always considered myself a "hopeful agnostic". I neither believe in, nor disbelieve in a divine creator. But I sure as hell hope there is one, and along with it, some kind of afterlife or meaning to my existence. Not bettin' on it though.
Unfortunately, this is what most people mean when they say that they are "spiritual and not religious", it's usually just a less embarrassing way of saying you believe in new-age bullshit. This is why I don't like referring to myself as such, despite me being a more accurate person to apply that label to. I feel a personal connection to the metaphysical (the spiritual/other side/whatever you decide to call it), though my beliefs don't actively fit any one religion, and I find religion in and of itself to be flawed. Placing limits and suppositions upon that which you cannot define, and in most cases would assert is infinite and well beyond our understanding is a massive fallacy, along with judgmental bullshit that is an extension of that ignorant arrogance. A more appropriate label for me would probably be Gnostic, though that tends to be a bit restrictive for me. I've discussed this at length here before, so I won't get into it now, but suffice it to say I'm not some directionless slob that believes everything I hear like most "spiritual, not religious" people. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Fair enough. Why not continue living as I do? Well personally, if I didn't think there was a God I would probably simply get welfare and spend my time doing exactly what I wanted. Chances are I'd also commit suicide once I realized that there'd be no pain for me once I died and my life meant nothing in the grand scheme of things. Crap, I'm being depressing again.
But the absence of a God or a clearly defined afterlife does not remove the purpose of life. Why would it be depressing if there was no God to cast judgement upon you? There are so many wonderful things on this Earth to appreciate and so much to do that with or without a God life can never be said to be without purpose or meaning. I see the point of life as being something which you look back on fondly near the end of your innings and think about all the wonderful things you've experienced. Life is a story with many chapters and many characters. Hopefully my story ends up being one worth hearing someday

There are so many wonderful things on this Earth to appreciate and so much to do that with or without a God life can never be said to be without purpose or meaning.
It can, and it frequently has been. Maybe that's the case, but purpose wouldn't have any draw for me at that point. If all I have to worry about is the complaints of other people whenever I do whatever it is they call wrong, then I really can't be arsed to do anything other than the bare minimum to stay alive longer to enjoy myself. I could easily lower my expectations of what I consider 'enjoyable' because I wouldn't consider myself beholden to anyone. That and I'd probably become as obsessed with seeing how much sex I can have as my peers seem to be.

• 4 weeks later...

Idiot drivers who speed up when I'm crossing the road, yeah it works I don't have a death wish so of course I'm going to cross the road quicker but there's speed limits for a reason. Worse still drivers who hurl abuse at me for using zebra crossings and then "taking too long to cross". yeah it's been a fun day.

Another one. Twelve year olds who sit in front of shops and drink and smoke, you are twelve! Go back to your bedroom and grow some pubes instead of yelling out random shit at strengers who walk past, then abuse the elderly. I want to ash you in the face! Rant over

Seriously if I see one more Facebook post from either of you (part of girlfriend's family) telling each other how much you love each other I am going to burn you both alive in your bed. You fucking live together so just fucking expunge your adoration for each other face to face. I don't get many posts on my news feed that make me be sick in my mouth but everyone of yours manages it.

Seriously if I see one more Facebook post from either of you (part of girlfriend's family) telling each other how much you love each other I am going to burn you both alive in your bed. You fucking live together so just fucking expunge your adoration for each other face to face. I don't get many posts on my news feed that make me be sick in my mouth but everyone of yours manages it.
If they feel the need to constantly reaffirm their love that would suggest that it's very superficial. I've seen people doing it to each other in real life, it's not much better.

Okay Mr Taxi Driver you find it big of yourself to try an intimidate my girlfriend alone in your cab, try to overcharge her for the journey she took and then when she refuses to be ripped off you shout indecent obscenities at her as you drive away. Yeah, get you big man! Unfortunately come the new year you will be out of a job when I have finished with you and your licence.

• 1 month later...

When you tell someone you listen to metal and they automatically asume you listen hardcore bands and that you are a "Screamo" fan. I have been called an emo just because I enjoy listening to metal, Fans of other genre's music don't understand music like we do.

I'm actually getting angry about people who are getting angry about something which I don't think is an issue (be warned this will be sports related). For goodness sakes I've never seen so much fuss over what jumper a football team wears before in my life. So Adelaide want to wear the South Australian state jumper against Port Adelaide, yeah that's a huge issue, seriously who cares? They wear red, blue and gold anyway all that changes is there will be a V instead of hoops on the jumper and suddenly that's the end of the world? Let's ignore the fact that Port Adelaide wear the exact same jumper in their colours why don't we because that's not important for some reason. I'm sick of having my facebook news feed full of people complaining about this. If the state jumper is so sacred why is there no one complaining about Port Adelaide's jumper? Well no one besides myself but that's because I think it looks stupid.

Fans of other genre's music don't understand music like we do.
I suspect there are some who do. Hip-hop enthusiasts sure don't appreciate the negative stereotypes they have to put up with. I also know that people who like old country don't like being lumped together with the new country movement.

Re: Anger Thread!

I suspect there are some who do. Hip-hop enthusiasts sure don't appreciate the negative stereotypes they have to put up with. I also know that people who like old country don't like being lumped together with the new country movement.
I can definitely relate to the latter. There's a big difference between the real deal, and the commercialized version for mass consumption, regardless of the genre. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I can definitely relate to the latter. There's a big difference between the real deal' date=' and the commercialized version for mass consumption, regardless of the genre.[/quote'] I don't think SBird94 adheres to the viewpoint I'm about to describe, but the rationale brought the viewpoint to mind: folks who exaggerate what's special about metal. I certainly think it ranks as one of the greatest musical genres for a couple of reasons, but claiming metal has a monopoly on alienation and being misunderstood is not only wrong, it's also very emo...

Re: Anger Thread!

I understand that the same thing happens to fans of other genre's, it happens to pretty much ever genre R&B has even made a massive change into popularity when it was once a good genre. I guess I shouldn't have targeted only metal fans, even though I think it is the best genre.
I don't think SBird94 adheres to the viewpoint I'm about to describe' date=' but the rationale brought the viewpoint to mind: folks who exaggerate what's special about metal. I certainly think it ranks as one of the greatest musical genres for a couple of reasons, but claiming metal has a monopoly on alienation and being misunderstood is not only wrong, it's also very emo...[/quote'] This may be true, but I just like to protect the genre over those who don't know much about it and judge people over it straight away.