Anger Thread!

RelentlessOblivion

It's impossible for me not to get worked up over cocky fucking posers like this that I deal with on an almost daily basis. Usually they aren't as bad as this, only every now and again do I have to come on here and type an essay to start feeling relieved. I'll say that there isn't a thing wrong with not being able to place bands in genres... just as long as you DON'T CLAIM TO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When BAN corrected me on Cattle Decap I listened and learned. This guy is too stupid to do either. I hate to sound conceded but we need people like me who are actually willing to learn about these thing from other more well informed metalheads.
I've been wrong plenty of times and I've learned plenty of times. Last time I was on here I even confused Cannibal Corpse with brutal death metal just because I didn't know it was a real genre and thought it was just based on the themes. Most people I deal with are usually willing to learn, but this guy... well, I've said enough about him. I'd just be repeating myself.

I think the breakdown of genres within genres is getting a little beyond a joke to be honest. Death metal is death metal to me I make no distinction between brutal, tech, melodic or whatever. Because of this I have copped a little bit of flak on another forum but all in good fun unlike our new contender for biggest douche in the universe.

It's impossible for me not to get worked up over cocky fucking posers like this that I deal with on an almost daily basis. Usually they aren't as bad as this, only every now and again do I have to come on here and type an essay to start feeling relieved. I'll say that there isn't a thing wrong with not being able to place bands in genres... just as long as you DON'T CLAIM TO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.
Some people are just lame. Personally I'd just ignore him. That's typically what I do when involved in an online squabble. Just look at this way: Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the special Olympics; in the end you're still retarded. I use that quote whenever I'm in your situation and just move on. Forget the douche and listen to some My Dying Bride. You'll feel better for it. :)

I'll pretty much echo what everybody else has said and state that this guy isn't worth the fight. Some people just aren't that deep into metal and can't tell the difference, and it is annoying that complexes like that develop, but it's inevitable, especially on the internet. If he doesn't get it and doesn't want to get it, what can you do? As far as genres go, I think everybody knows my stance by now. I like using them, I find them helpful, but some people find them limiting. I'm not sure why, unless you only want to listen to one specific genre and ignore anything that doesn't specifically fall within its boundaries, but then it's really your loss. Genres within genres tend to be less helpful overall, but can prove useful for people that are deeply rooted into that sound. For somebody who doesn't listen to much death metal, brutal death, tech death, slam death, melodeath, death/grind, etc... might be indistinguishable, but they are quite different for people who are into death metal.

I think the problem is that it's turned into one more marketing tool. I can remember when heavy music was going through a phase where genre barriers were falling, and everybody had this ideal of just mixing shit up and seeing what happened. It gave us rap rock, but it also gave us some genre-bending classics like Faith No More, and I hear the same impulse in some of my other favorites like Akercocke and older Meshuggah. Now it's almost expected that you'll "stake your claim" and stay in your comfort zone, and bands get shit for stepping out of it. It seems like the point now is to pigeonhole yourself. It's not cool to me. Tempting to see analogies in pop culture and politics. Steve: like everyone else says, fuck this guy, and also, just get over it. You're a musician and a music lover, there are so many things that are more important.

Re: The Rant

I think the problem is that it's turned into one more marketing tool. I can remember when heavy music was going through a phase where genre barriers were falling' date=' and everybody had this ideal of just mixing shit up and seeing what happened. It gave us rap rock, but it also gave us some genre-bending classics like Faith No More, and I hear the same impulse in some of my other favorites like Akercocke and older Meshuggah. Now it's almost expected that you'll "stake your claim" and stay in your comfort zone, and bands get shit for stepping out of it. It seems like the point now is to pigeonhole yourself. It's not cool to me. Tempting to see analogies in pop culture and politics. Steve: like everyone else says, fuck this guy, and also, just get over it. You're a musician and a music lover, there are so many things that are more important.[/quote'] Mixing sounds is great, it can quite often yield unique and awesome music. If artists want to stick too closely to their labels and not venture outside of them, that's their choice, and a bit of an unfortunate one. Too often these adherents forget that when these sounds were forming, there weren't any boundaries, everything was still being explored. Why should it not be possible to be original and still fit within a certain genre? It's not possible that every aspect of that sound has been done, and if the artist is honest in writing and delivery, that individual personality should show up to set them apart. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Mixing sounds is great' date=' it can quite often yield unique and awesome music. If artists want to stick too closely to their labels and not venture outside of them, that's their choice, and a bit of an unfortunate one. Too often these adherents forget that when these sounds were forming, there weren't any boundaries, everything was still being explored. Why should it not be possible to be original and still fit within a certain genre? It's not possible that every aspect of that sound has been done, and [b']if the artist is honest in writing and delivery, that individual personality should show up to set them apart. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
In bold, above, is the most important thing you can do as a musician. All the discussion about genres is fine if it helps people communicate. It's really a discussion about your influences and goals. Some of us draw our dividing lines in different places, but none of them really matter if you're writing from the heart or listening with an open mind. When discussions turn into pedantic arguments that upset Steve, then there's a bit of a problem.

In bold' date=' above, is the most important thing you can do as a musician. All the discussion about genres is fine if it helps people communicate. It's really a discussion about your influences and goals. Some of us draw our dividing lines in different places, but none of them really matter if you're writing from the heart or listening with an open mind. When discussions turn into pedantic arguments that upset Steve, then there's a bit of a problem.[/quote'] I agree, and that was my point. Genres can be helpful if you allow them to be, but trying to frame them as limitations is a waste of time. I'll still engage in debates on what something is or is not, but in addition to being whatever it is, it is also the sum of its influences, as well as whatever outside sounds and personal flavors are brought it. Also, at the end of the day, regardless of what it is, the only really important thing about the music is whether or not you like it. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Today's rant is about bands the disband or go on "indefinite hiatus" without giving a valid reason. The bands that I'm irked about are: Mar de Grises, Longing for Dawn & Rapture. I've never seen any of them and probably never will. MdG just broke up after two brilliant albums and one mostly ok album. The LfD has been silent and on "hiatus" since 1-1-11 and Rapture disappeared around 06. WTF? Why do bands do this? So freaken lame!

Today's rant is about bands the disband or go on "indefinite hiatus" without giving a valid reason. The bands that I'm irked about are: Mar de Grises' date=' Longing for Dawn & Rapture. I've never seen any of them and probably never will. MdG just broke up after two brilliant albums and one mostly ok album. The LfD has been silent and on "hiatus" since 1-1-11 and Rapture disappeared around 06. WTF? Why do bands do this? So freaken lame![/quote'] You have to leave the house if you want to catch bands live. ;) Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

My rant is the opposite of yours Mike, bands that should have stopped but haven't. I'm looking at you Iron Maiden, you've released one tolerable album since Fear Of The Dark (I don't care what anyone says the Blaze albums suck) and you don't even tour the classic material so what's the point? If you've run out of ideas that makes it a good time to retire. As for you Megadeth don't think you're in the clear either two good albums since Rust In Peace (and one ok album) is just not good enough. I could go on but really I can't be bothered and that's kind of my point here.

My rant is the opposite of yours Mike' date=' bands that should have stopped but haven't. I'm looking at you Iron Maiden, you've released one tolerable album since Fear Of The Dark (I don't care what anyone says the Blaze albums suck) and you don't even tour the classic material so what's the point? If you've run out of ideas that makes it a good time to retire. As for you Megadeth don't think you're in the clear either two good albums since Rust In Peace (and one ok album) is just not good enough. I could go on but really I can't be bothered and that's kind of my point here.[/quote'] When I caught them last year, they basically played the Maiden England setlist, so lots of Seventh Son and songs from all of the albums prior to that one. They sounded great too, even Bruce's voice was better for this particular performance than any of the live recordings I've heard of his from the last few years. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

God I fucking hate stupid people, if there is one thing in the world I can't stand it's stupid fucking idiots. I was sitting there talking to this girl on the bus who seemed generally interested about metal, so I start teaching her the basics, death, black, and thrash. After I get done showing her how they sound different I tell how the lyrics differ from one another. When i get done with this she tells me that despite all of these differences there is nothing different about them. So I asked her how is that even possible and she begins to tell me how the lyrics are all the same just in a different context and the instruments are all played at the same speed and have the same exact sound with just some few minor tweaks. That's about the time I got off the bus and walked an extra 4 miles in 100 degree heat just to get away from the stupid bitch. For some unknown reason I attract stupid people.

God I fucking hate stupid people' date=' if there is one thing in the world I can't stand it's stupid fucking idiots. I was sitting there talking to this girl on the bus who seemed generally interested about metal, so I start teaching her the basics, death, black, and thrash. After I get done showing her how they sound different I tell how the lyrics differ from one another. When i get done with this she tells me that despite all of these differences there is nothing different about them. So I asked her how is that even possible and she begins to tell me how the lyrics are all the same just in a different context and the instruments are all played at the same speed and have the same exact sound with just some few minor tweaks. That's about the time I got off the bus and walked an extra 4 miles in 100 degree heat just to get away from the stupid bitch. For some unknown reason I attract stupid people.[/quote'] Woooooww, reminds me of some unfortunate people I met at school, are people really that blind (deaf even) to the differences in each genre? Fuckin hell.

Obviously so, last time I was talking with a non-headbanger about metal they accepted that there are differences between genres and even between bands but metal as a whole they viewed as being exclusively for people without musical talent. Obviously this didn't go down well with me but from then on it was like talking to a brick wall.

Obviously so' date=' last time I was talking with a non-headbanger about metal they accepted that there are differences between genres and even between bands but metal as a whole they viewed as being exclusively for people without musical talent. Obviously this didn't go down well with me but from then on it was like talking to a brick wall.[/quote'] What the fuck that is one of my biggest hates ever, no talent? Hmm? Lets see you play a fucking metal song!! Stupid pricks. I tell yoy what is not talent, people getting songs WRITTEN FOR THEM, and then (because they obviously can't sing) they get FUCKING AUTOTUNED, theres no talent for you.

I even know some pretty successful and knowledgeable musicians who don't have a lot of respect for metal. It's not surprising considering what passes for "metal" on the radio. And even when you get into the more extreme stuff, there are a lot of shitty metal bands who inexplicably have careers and good production values, and of course the uninspired former titans who are making a living by phoning it in. As it's always been, metal is challenging music. Some people just don't want to put the work in. One of the best guitarists I know only started opening up to metal after I played him Individual Thought Patterns...

Re: The Rant It can be hard for those who aren't fans to cut through the distortion and adapt to the speed to really hear what is going on. Alabaster's comment about metal's misrepresentation by the media, radio, VH1, etc... is also damaging, but I think more of it has to do with people not being able to decipher what is actually happening. It is challenging music, and there is some stuff that is really basic, but by and large metal is more complex than a great many other genres, especially popular genres. As I said before with Steve too, some people just have no desire to learn, and frequently it's not just about music. Expanding your horizons, being open minded, and engaging in intelligent discourse with another human being are the new taboos for pop culture. Even if these people did show signs of brain activity, they will repress them to "look cool". Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I can understand a lack of interest in metal based on speed, distortion, vocal styles, even lyrics. There have been times when I've stepped away from listening to metal for a while, a few months here and there, and I've been put off by its abrasive qualities when I start listening again. Especially if I've been listening to stuff with a lot of dynamics. And of course the opposite holds true: when I've been listening to metal for a while, I'll toss on a rock album and be like "what is this slow, boring, predictable garbage?"

Pain in the ass people and drama queens are the worst people to deal with. the bigger pain in the ass people are the one who hate try avoid drama and be a pain in the ass. I mean, take twitter for example. you meet and follow about kick ass metal heads, then, you discover they have facebook. so you and one of your follower who you been following for quite a long time become facebook friends. that when the bullshit starts & the shit hit the fans. everything is cool until the person bust your balls about a your ball over the whole lich king/A7X bullshit at a lick king facebook page and take shit about LK sucks and their fans are dumbasses, the next thing you know it. the pain in the ass block you and make excuses as to why did the person block you on twitter but still twitter friends. a few weeks later, discover the blocked friend is listed on your group and ask if would be alright to be removed from the list. so, out of good graces of the person heart unblock the person and friends again, yaaaaaaaaaay, riiiiiiiight. once again, the shit hit the fan again. this time it get more ridiculous. so you desided to be an idiot and foolishly started poking some of the person's friends (stupid move #1). it turns out to be a bad idea because you'll never know when you'll get a pissed off, rude, obnoxious asshole sending you a DM assuming and calling you a pedophile or some bullshit. made a brief apology and the jerkass response was more nastier & a threat too. so the prick was blocked & you decided to bent your frustration and rant about the BS on profile (not set on public) (that became stupid move #2) Of course that's when the final nail on the coffin begins. some assclown posted a insulting smartass comment and the next thing you know it. the pain in the ass blocks you again but this time on twitter and you ask why on facebook DM that when it becomes clear that the pain in the ass because a PAIN IN THE ASS!! So, you send a goodbye notice and shit. 3 days later, the pain in the ass blocks your sorry ass on facebook. WHAT A FUCKIN' BITCH!! enjoy