Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

NTNR

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1992: Asphyx: Last One On Earth - Heavy and fucking savage Dutch death metal, brutal and great with awesomely sick vocals At the Gates: The Red In the Sky Is Ours - Twisted, creepy, and highly original death metal, their best album easily Atrocity: Todessehnsucht - Avant-Garde, jazzy, atmospheric very ahead of it's time death metal, best German DM album Cadaver: ...In Pains - Groovy, morbid death metal, almost like a death metal version of Coroner, very cool album Darkthrone: A Blaze In the Northern Sky - Darkthrone's best black metal album and one of Norway's best ever Incantation: Onward To Golgotha - One of the most evil sounding death metal albums ever, brutally heavy and punishing Neurosis: Souls At Zero - Huge atmosphere, massive songs and entrancing atmosphere, probably my favorite Neurosis Pan.Thy.Monium: Dawn of Dreams - Weird death metal with saxophones, but it's incredibly well written, Swano's best Purtenance: Member of Immortal Damnation - Like a heavier and darker early Amorphis, some of Finland's finest DM Sinister: Cross the Styx - Nonstop fucking chaos on this album, you're assaulted without ever being let up, and it rules I promise that I don't just listen to death metal, but the only 3 years I've done have been from it's golden years, and I did have to cut a great many more that I really wished I hadn't. While it still had a couple more years to shine it's brightest, black metal and doom metal are going to start gaining steam against it in the coming years. These things to tend to work in waves though, you'll notice (when I get to them) that my 80's lists will be mostly thrash oriented.
Unsurprisingly our lists are night and day and while you have some interesting picks I have to say that putting the worst ATG album and non-Metal Neurosis in a Metal list is just wrong. Funny that we both agreed on the same Atrocity album. I'm surprised that one of these didn't make your list: Anathema - The Crestfallen & My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers. I think you like ATFW more than I do too.

Unsurprisingly our lists are night and day and while you have some interesting picks I have to say that putting the worst ATG album and non-Metal Neurosis in a Metal list is just wrong. Funny that we both agreed on the same Atrocity album. I'm surprised that one of these didn't make your list: Anathema - The Crestfallen & My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers. I think you like ATFW more than I do too.
I know we've had the conversation about how brain dead you are before, but that's At the Gates' best, to give that title to their watered down melodeath album would be a travesty. Neurosis is metal, metal + hardcore can still equal metal, as it is partially both, and As the Flower Withers was the last one to get the axe to complete my list, having lost to said Neurosis album. I haven't been including EP's or demos, just albums, otherwise The Crestfallen may have made it, Anathema have always been my favorite of the Peaceville 3. Not sure if Turn Loose the Swans, Serenades, or Icon will make my 1993 list, but I'm pretty sure The Silent Enigma will be in my 1996 list.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1993: Burzum: Det Som Engang Var - Burzum's best, and one of Norway's best, ambient, heavy, beautiful black metal perfection Demilich: Nespithe - Weirdest and most awesome tech-death album of all time IMO, otherworldly and original dISEMBOWELMENT: Transcendence Into the Peripheral - Absolutely entrancing doom/death, heavy and disturbing Dissection: The Somberlain - Melodic black/death perfection, excellent songwriting and amazing riffs and melodies Katatonia: Dance of December Souls - My favorite doom album ever, stunningly beautiful and yet freakishly depressing Marduk: Those of the Unlight - Swedish black metal masterpiece and Marduk's best, a dark and immersing album Order From Chaos: Stillbirth Machine - Raw death metal, amazing riffs and songs and great vocals, completely punishing Sentenced: North From Here - Melodic, technical, and eerie death metal, perfectly executed and enthusiastically played Sigh: Scorn Defeat - Early 2nd wave black metal masterpiece from one of the greatest metal bands on the planet Utumno: Across the Horizon - Dark, gloomy, and spazzy Swedish death, totally unique and intense Fuck, this was a great year, some of my favorite albums in all of metal are on the top 10 list for this year, and this was easily the most difficult year for making cuts. Albums 11-20 on my list for this year would beat out my top 10 list for many other years easily, but overall I'm quite satisfied with how this list turned out. Tons of great metal here, give some of them a listen if you haven't already.

I know we've had the conversation about how brain dead you are before' date=' but that's At the Gates' best, to give that title to their watered down melodeath album would be a travesty. Neurosis is metal, metal + hardcore can still equal metal, as it is partially both, and As the Flower Withers was the last one to get the axe to complete my list, having lost to said Neurosis album. I haven't been including EP's or demos, just albums, otherwise The Crestfallen may have made it, Anathema have always been my favorite of the Peaceville 3. Not sure if Turn Loose the Swans, Serenades, or Icon will make my 1993 list, but I'm pretty sure The Silent Enigma will be in my 1996 list.[/quote'] Yes we've had the conversation of how fucktarded you are considering Neurosis Metal and having it beat MDB. But the best ATG was and will always be Slaughter of the Soul.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1994: Bethlehem: Dark Metal - Dark, disturbing, yet quite melodic black/doom metal, haunting and engrossing Emperor: In the Nightside Eclipse - First and best symphonic black metal album ever, massive atmosphere and vision Enslaved: Frost - Black/viking metal masterpiece, frozen riffs and epic songwriting, one of my favorites ever Esoteric: Epistemological Despondency - Drugged out funeral/doom/death metal perfection Gorgoroth: Pentagram - Norway at it's most savage and raw, intense and hateful Mayhem: De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas - Best black metal album ever IMO, Mayhem were truly the masters Rotting Christ: Non Serviam - My other favorite Greek black metal album, melodic, grandiose, epic, and well done Samael: Ceremony of Opposites - Heavy, original, catchy, and powerful black metal, easily their best album Solitude Aeturnus: Through the Darkest Hour - Epic, soaring, and heavy doom metal with fantastic vocals and solos Unholy: The Second Ring of Power - Creepy and deranged black/doom metal, quite disturbing and dissonant Wow, not a single death metal album in sight, I didn't think that would happen as early as 1994. There might be a couple of picks on later lists, but it's prime years are waning and black metal was obviously taking over at this point. There were also some great doom albums on here, and some that were both black metal and doom. Overall though, it looks like a fucking great year, I didn't have as many picks I had to fight with about chopping, but the ones that made the cut were top notch.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year 1983 Dio-Holy Diver Slayer- Show No Mercy Mercyful Fate-Melissa Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Metallica-Kill 'em all Accept-Restless and Wild Motley Crue-Shout at the Devil Suicidal Tendencies-Self-Titled Ozzy- Bark at the Moon Def Leppard-Pyromania(Yup, I said it)

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year again I have to go with decades since I don't have enough albums in a given year so this will be the top ten albums of the nineties (my opinion and based on albums I own) 1. Megadeth - Rust In Peace 2. Pantera - Cowboys From Hell (yeah I said Pantera, you don't like take a hike) 3. Anathema - The Silent Enigma 4. Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes 5. Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings 6. Type O Negative - Slow, Deep and Hard 7. Judas Priest - Painkiller 8. Ulver - Bergtatt: Et Eeventyr I V Capitler 9. Cradle Of Filth - Dusk And Her Embrace 10 Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark

again I have to go with decades since I don't have enough albums in a given year so this will be the top ten albums of the nineties (my opinion and based on albums I own) 1. Megadeth - Rust In Peace 2. Pantera - Cowboys From Hell (yeah I said Pantera, you don't like take a hike) 3. Anathema - The Silent Enigma 4. Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes 5. Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings 6. Type O Negative - Slow, Deep and Hard 7. Judas Priest - Painkiller 8. Ulver - Bergtatt: Et Eeventyr I V Capitler 9. Cradle Of Filth - Dusk And Her Embrace 10 Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark
By decade, yeah, that's a good idea, I like that better than having to look up what year things came out in if I can't remember 'em. My faves of the '90s(And some will not be considered metal, but whatever) 1. Megadeth- Rust In Peace 2. Judas Priest- Painkiller 3. Alice In Chains- Dirt 4. White Zombie- Astrocreep 2000 5. Emperor- In the Nightside Eclipse 6. Morbid Angel- Covenant 7. Cradle of Filth- Dusk 8. Pantera- Vulgar Display of Power 9. Carcass- Heartwork 10. Entombed- Wolverine Blues On another day this list might be completely different, as these lists usually are. Fear of the Dark would probably be on there, Slaughter of the Soul, Storm of the Light's Bane, etc etc etc.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year nice list (for the most part) shit I could have gone with The Great Southern Trendkill in my list ok this one is top ten albums 2000-2012 1. Megadeth - Endgame 2. Motorhead - The World Is Yours 3. Quo Vadis (Canada) - Defiant Imagination 4. Manticora - Hyperior 5. Judas Priest - Nostradamus 6. Nevertanezra - NTNR 7. Harmony - Chapter II: Aftermath 8. Cradle Of Filth - Midian 9. Serenity - Death & Legacy 10. Circle II Circle - Watching In Silence

so this will be the top ten albums of the nineties (my opinion and based on albums I own) By decade, yeah, that's a good idea, I like that better than having to look up what year things came out in if I can't remember 'em. My faves of the '90s(And some will not be considered metal, but whatever) 1. Megadeth- Rust In Peace 2. Judas Priest- Painkiller 3. Alice In Chains- Dirt 4. White Zombie- Astrocreep 2000 5. Emperor- In the Nightside Eclipse 6. Morbid Angel- Covenant 7. Cradle of Filth- Dusk 8. Pantera- Vulgar Display of Power 9. Carcass- Heartwork 10. Entombed- Wolverine Blues On another day this list might be completely different, as these lists usually are. Fear of the Dark would probably be on there, Slaughter of the Soul, Storm of the Light's Bane, etc etc etc.
Shit, I have a hard enough time chopping my list down to 10 per year, if I had to do 10 per decade I wouldn't know where to start. The 70's would probably be the easiest to pull off, having less metal than subsequent decades, but I definitely couldn't narrow it down that far for any other decade. I'm also doing these lists for the purpose of revisiting them over time as my tastes evolve and as I have heard more albums, sometimes it's scary just how much your life changes over the years. I remember finding an old e-mail account from almost 10 years ago and was shocked at the things my profile said, I distinctly remember thinking "The me now would not have been friends with the me from back then".

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1995: Anathema: The Silent Enigma - Beautiful atmospheric doom metal, haunting and enchanting Blind Guardian: Imaginations From the Other Side - One of my favorite power metal albums, heavy, fast, and melodic Blut Aus Nord: Ultima Thulee - Amazing black metal with stunning atmospheres, massive riffs, and perfect keyboards Dissection: Storm of the Lights Bane - Both of Dissections albums are amazing, I have a hard time picking a favorite Graveland: Thousand Swords - Epic yet savage pagan black metal, excellent songwriting and feel Molested: Blod-Draum - Fantastic death metal, lots of original tremolo riffs, awesome vocals, and unique songwriting Moonspell: Wolfheart - Very original gothic/black metal with folk influences, truly a one of a kind sound Nazxul: Totem - Vicious yet melodic black metal, probably the best successor to In the Nightside Eclipse Necromantia: Scarlet Evil Witching Black - Greek black metal masterpiece, heavy, horror tinged melodic greatness Ulver: Bergtatt - Entrancing black/folk metal fusion, alternating clean and heavy passages with amazing results It looks like this was mostly a black metal year, but with death metal dying off and black metal flourishing, I sort of expected that. More strong selections here, just maybe not quite as strong as the two years before it.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year so you got the best Blind Guardian album, a great Anathema album (one of two I own but the other one is Falling Deeper which sucks IMO) and possibly my favourite black metal album in Ulver's Bergtatt, the only other bands in their I recognize are Necromantia and Moonspell, but great list anyway

so you got the best Blind Guardian album' date=' a great Anathema album (one of two I own but the other one is Falling Deeper which sucks IMO) and possibly my favourite black metal album in Ulver's Bergtatt, the only other bands in their I recognize are Necromantia and Moonspell, but great list anyway[/quote'] Thanks. If any of the descriptions on these lists catch your eye, you should check out the albums in question. I'm no expert and these lists are in no way a "be all, end all" list for any given year, it merely represents my favorite albums of each year as it stands right now. I only have so many albums, so I'm sure that there are great albums I don't possess that would probably crush other albums on these lists, so you definitely have to take these with a grain of salt, especially since they're by personal preference and nothing else.

I don't hate old school death metal, I just dislike Swedish/Finnish death metal on a massive scale. Its musically inferior on all fronts to American death metal, its not as technical, not as intense, nor is it as interesting to hear. There are a few good bands from the style stuff like Vomitory, Demigod, Funebre, and a little Grave but the style just bores me. As for Mental funeral its heavy but also boring, plodding is the perfect term for it and it isn't as lively as Severed Survival. An album can be heavy and dark but it doesn't keep me interested if its like that for every song. I've said it before Dismember is a band of good songs not good albums :D
You should tone it down a bit. You're allways bashing on other peoples bands, and saying that they're crap, and thinking that only your music is good. Your opinion is your opinion, my opinion is my opinion. If you absolutely have to say something bad about a band (That not everyone hates) Say "I dont like them, because" Instead of saying "They're crap, because all theire albums are crap". Kthxbye.

so you got the best Blind Guardian album' date=' a great Anathema album (one of two I own but the other one is Falling Deeper which sucks IMO) and possibly my favourite black metal album in Ulver's Bergtatt, the only other bands in their I recognize are Necromantia and Moonspell, but great list anyway
Murph's got it! Edit: Yes, double post. Deal with it.

BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1995: Anathema: The Silent Enigma - Beautiful atmospheric doom metal, haunting and enchanting Blind Guardian: Imaginations From the Other Side - One of my favorite power metal albums, heavy, fast, and melodic Blut Aus Nord: Ultima Thulee - Amazing black metal with stunning atmospheres, massive riffs, and perfect keyboards Dissection: Storm of the Lights Bane - Both of Dissections albums are amazing, I have a hard time picking a favorite Graveland: Thousand Swords - Epic yet savage pagan black metal, excellent songwriting and feel Molested: Blod-Draum - Fantastic death metal, lots of original tremolo riffs, awesome vocals, and unique songwriting Moonspell: Wolfheart - Very original gothic/black metal with folk influences, truly a one of a kind sound Nazxul: Totem - Vicious yet melodic black metal, probably the best successor to In the Nightside Eclipse Necromantia: Scarlet Evil Witching Black - Greek black metal masterpiece, heavy, horror tinged melodic greatness Ulver: Bergtatt - Entrancing black/folk metal fusion, alternating clean and heavy passages with amazing results It looks like this was mostly a black metal year, but with death metal dying off and black metal flourishing, I sort of expected that. More strong selections here, just maybe not quite as strong as the two years before it.
Probably the best list so far, and I've only heard snippets of Blod raum and it was ok atually. Thousand swords never clicked with me but I remember it had some good riffs, its just raw black metal is not something Darken is great at compared to his latter work or even Following the voices of blood or Carpathian wolves. All of those albums are absolute masterpieces

Probably the best list so far, and I've only heard snippets of Blod raum and it was ok atually. Thousand swords never clicked with me but I remember it had some good riffs, its just raw black metal is not something Darken is great at compared to his latter work or even Following the voices of blood or Carpathian wolves. All of those albums are absolute masterpieces
I prefer Graveland's black metal work, but I don't have Carpathian Wolves or Following the Voices of Blood. I think The Celtic Winter might actually be my favorite over Thousand Swords, but I love both. I do like his later work, but while it is more epic in scope than his early work, it seems a bit more clumsy in it's delivery, especially on Memory and Destiny.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1996: Amorphis: Elegy - Progressive, melodic, folky, and brilliant, my favorite Amorphis album Arcturus: Aspera Hiems Symfonia - Epic and progressive symphonic black metal, excellent guitar work and vocals Aura Noir: Black Thrash Attack - The name says it all, black/thrash that kicks your ass, totally vicious and great Bethlehem: Dictius Te Necare - Depressive black metal with the most insane vocals EVER, love it or hate it Blut Aus Nord: Memoria Vetusta I - Their masterpiece, grandiose atmosphere, original riffing, and perfect composition Burzum: Filosofem - The most ambient Burzum album, but one of the best, Dunkelheit is one of the best BM song ever Edge of Sanity: Crimson - Excellent progressive death metal, one long and sprawling song that never gets old Eyehategod: Dopesick - Drugged up sludge metal, vile, sick, and depressing Immolation: Here In After - Horrific and original death metal, bizarre rhythms and melodies make it a winner Satyricon: Nemesis Divina - Norwegian blasting madness, but with great melodies that cut through all of the speed Another year with black metal in the majority, but with some more progressive/out there offerings, especially from the death metal side. This year was easier to narrow down for some reason, but that shouldn't say anything about the quality of the albums up here, they just didn't have as much competition.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1997: Aeternus: Beyond the Wandering Moon - Excellent black metal with influences from viking and death metal Borknagar: The Olden Domain - This is their first folky album and their best, nice compositions and melodies Emperor: Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk - A more refined Emperor, but still a vicious one, faster and more symphonic Hades: Dawn of the Dying Sun - One of the best viking/black metal albums ever, fucking epic and grand Necrophobic: Darkside - Evil, yet melodic sounding black/death metal, though further on the black metal side Nokturnal Mortum: Goat Horns - The keyboards overshadow the guitars, but it actually works here, unlike most BM Ragnarok: Arising Realm - Very well executed Norwegian black metal, nothing very original, but done nicely Sacramentum: The Coming of Chaos - Awesome melodic black/death metal, great melodies and drumming Sigh: Hail Horror Hail - Sigh's first evolutionary leap forward, this album sees them reaching out for greatness Strapping Young Lad: City - Heavy and fun industrial death/thrash, spazzy, but very well written This year seems to be a bit weaker than the years before it, but there are still some good picks here. This is probably the most melodic/folk list I've compiled so far, but just about everything here has at least a black metal base, with City being the lone exception.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1998: Burning Witch: Crippled Lucifer - Insane, powerful, and heavy as fuck sludge/doom, it brings you down The Chasm: Deathcult for Eternity - Very original and entrancing death metal, it grabs and doesn't let go December Wolves: Completely Dehumanized - Ripping and modern sounding black/thrash, totally savage Evoken: Embrace the Emptiness - Gripping and crushing funeral doom/death from the masters Gorguts: Obscura - Avant-garde death metal perfection, a unique and devastating mindfuck Inquisition: Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult - Perfect atmospheric/ritualistic black metal Judas Iscariot: Distant In Solitary Night - Best album from the USBM institution, great melodies and riffs Skepticism: Lead and Aether - Crushing and yet ethereal funeral doom masterpiece, very otherworldly Unholy: Rapture - Creepy and unearthly gothic/doom metal awesomeness, beautiful and chilling Witchery: Restless and Dead - Insanely fun black/heavy metal, very catchy music with memorable songs A bit more of a varied year, and much better than the one before it, honestly. Doom metal had a great showing this year, as did black metal, but two massive avant-garde death metal albums also occupy this list. Based on the variety and quality of albums here, it looks like this will be the best year of the latter half of the 90's for me, but who knows how that will change as time goes on?

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1999: Agalloch: Pale Folklore - Serene and majestic folk/dark metal, like Bergtatt mixed with Brave Murder Day Children of Bodom: Hatebreeder - Awesome melodic and fast paced power/speed metal with harsh vocals Dolorian: When All the Laughter Has Gone - Spooky and gloomy black/doom metal, great use of clean guitar Immortal: At the Heart of Winter - Epic, intense, and icy black/thrash, my favorite Immortal album Manes: Under Ein Blodraud Maane - Norwegian black metal with weird, yet cool electronic influences Necrodeath: Mater of All Evil - Ripping and destructive Italian black/thrash, old school and nasty sounding Nevermore: Dreaming Neon Black - My favorite Nevermore album, dark and spiteful power/thrash/groove Novembers Doom: Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers - Passionate and well executed doom/death Taake: Nattestid Ser Porten Vid - Black metal perfection, one of the greatest Norwegian albums ever Tristania: Beyond the Veil - Elegant and classy gothic metal, a perfect balance of all it's components Overall this isn't the strongest year of the 90's, but there are some fantastic albums here. I know that I'll get shit for the CoB album, but I love their early work and their newer stuff is still tolerable to me, and I might get some shit for Agalloch and Tristania too, but I don't care. These albums represent my favorites of the year, and are not an attempt to pander to any crowd, and I'm sure many of these albums wouldn't be paired up on too many other people's lists. I guess this finishes out the 90's, and I'm not sure whether I'll go to the 00's or the 80's next...