Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

NTNR

4 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Piece Of Mind was mostly filler in my opinion and I almost never listen to it past The Trooper.

You spelled Number of the Beast wrong. 

Seriously though, if you never listen to it past The Trooper, you're missing some of the best songs on the entire album. Still Life, Sun and Steel, and To Tame a Land rule. The only somewhat underwhelming track on that Piece of Mind is Quest for Fire and even that track has its moments. Number of the Beast, by contrast, has three excellent tracks (Hallowed Be Thy Name, Run to the Hills, 22 Acacia Avenue), a lot of filler in the form of The Prisoner, the title track (which is only popular for its video, honestly), and the utterly plodding Children of the Damned and finally, the worst track of '80s Maiden: Gangland. That doesn't exactly spell "classic". 

1 hour ago, Ecthelion said:

You spelled Number of the Beast wrong. 

Seriously though, if you never listen to it past The Trooper, you're missing some of the best songs on the entire album. Still Life, Sun and Steel, and To Tame a Land rule. The only somewhat underwhelming track on that Piece of Mind is Quest for Fire and even that track has its moments. Number of the Beast, by contrast, has three excellent tracks (Hallowed Be Thy Name, Run to the Hills, 22 Acacia Avenue), a lot of filler in the form of The Prisoner, the title track (which is only popular for its video, honestly), and the utterly plodding Children of the Damned and finally, the worst track of '80s Maiden: Gangland. That doesn't exactly spell "classic". 

You misspelt 'awesome' as 'plodding'.

'Number of the Beast' has a bit of filler, but 'Hallowed', 'Run', '22', 'Children' and the title track are all classic metal anthems. That's five absolute hits in my book.

Really the only hits on 'Piece of Mind' are 'Icarus' and 'Trooper', and second tier tracks like 'Where Eagles Dare'. In fact I'm surprised how devoid of hits 'Piece of Mind' is, sandwiched as it is between two classics. It's still a very good album though.

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

A surprisingly poor album praised imo because people don't want to acknowledge the flaws in classic era Maiden.

He says whilst conversing with a man who believes that Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and Number of the Beast are flawed albums. I don't know what gave you the impression that I think '80s Maiden is flawless. 

38 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

You have wrongly assumed I was referring to you. On the contrary we have differing views but there's nothing wrong with healthy discussion. It's a shame the vast majority won't hear a bad word said about any Maiden album from the eighties.

Oh, my apologies, then. 

Honestly, that's something I see from a lot of Maiden fans in regards to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Many like to refer to it as the last good Maiden album and when I tell them that No Prayer for the Dying was good, they simply scoff at me. The problem is that when I ask them if they've listened to it, most of them act like they don't even need to listen to it because they "just know" it was the first chink in the armor. It's ridiculous. 

Music is a matter of taste, as all great art is in my opinion, but as with many things there are always people rigid in their belief that whatever they think must be correct. Too many bands escape criticism because of their legendary status. That isn't to say the likes of Maiden, Sabbath, and Priest don't deserve praise of course. I just wish people could have a discussion without things boiling down to "no you're wrong how can you not like album X".

Actually this is making me want to go back and listen through Piece Of Mind.

7 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

For me the only filler on Beast is Total Eclipse and Gangland. Filler on Peice Of Mind? Revelations, Die With Your Boots On, and everything after The Trooper. A surprisingly poor album praised imo because people don't want to acknowledge the flaws in classic era Maiden.

How can you not like x? 

'Revelations' and 'Die with your Boots On' are really cool songs, especially the latter. 

Here are the main filler songs from classic Bruce era Maiden: 

The Number of the Beast: 'Gangland'

Piece of Mind: 'Quest for Fire', 'Sun and Steel', 'To Tame a (B)land'

Powerslave: 'The Duellits', 'Back in the Village' (Maiden's worst 80s song)

Everything else is mint in my opinion. 

I tried to do that myself. Then I got bored, may or may not have made a sacrifice to Cthulhu, and somehow wound up listening to 'Battle Cry' by Omen. Oh what a day.

As much as I enjoy Battle Cry, I like the following two albums even more. It's a shame that so many great metal bands don't get the credit they deserve.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Ecthelion's Top Ten Albums of 1989 

1. Coroner - No More Color 

One of those transitory albums that actually manage to be absolutely excellent. Despite the brilliance of their past work, the songwriting gets even better. One of the best thrash metal albums ever made. The fact that they had the sheer skill to follow this album up with yet another great release is astounding because if they just stopped here, no one would have blamed them. 

2. Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry 

For me, No Exit was a good yet somewhat flawed release from this band due to having to get used to having Ray Alder in the band after the titan of a vocalist that was John Arch had to leave. However, Alder doesn't merely comport himself admirably in Arch's absence but comes completely into his own. In fact, that could honestly be stated for the band as a whole, shedding their power metal roots and becoming what many may associate with modern progressive metal which really shows just how utterly underrated these guys are when one considers this amount of evolution (and later influence). 

3. Overkill - The Years of Decay 

I thought long and hard about whether it was appropriate to put this album this high but after listening to it again, I honestly feel justified in doing so. The level of variety that Overkill was able to provide in this era is outstanding and contains some of the highlights of this band's career. Another hallmark of thrash. 

4. Helstar - Nosferatu 

By Dracula's fangs, this album rules. The utterly flooring neoclassical twin guitar fury from André Corbin and Larry Barragan, the varied and well-structured rhythm section of Jerry Abarca and Frank Ferreira and the darksome operatic approach of James Rivera all work in tandem to deliver a vampiric masterpiece. Well, for the first half anyway. That being said, the latter half of this album is notoriously underrated. From the treasure trove of epic riffage that is Benediction to the neoclassical duology of pure majesty that is Von Am Lebem Desto Strum and Aieliaria and Everonn, saying that the second half of this album is largely inferior is just plain wrong. A USPM classic. 

5. Voivod - Nothingface 

Nothingface marked the point where Voivod went pure progressive metal. This didn't shock me as much as many others I've met claimed to be regarding this album. It was an evolution that was clearly coming when one considers how the previous three albums sounded. Regardless, while it may not beat the previous two, I still adore this release and consider it a point of pride for them as musicians. 

6. Running Wild - Death or Glory 

This band deserves praise for this release. Everything they've built on from their previous records (especially with the excellent Port Royal) all culminates into their second best album. From the first few seconds of hearing the iconic Riding the Storm, I knew these guys would knock it out of the park and would deliver some of the best metal the teutonic metal scene has ever released. Speaking of teutonic metal...

7. Sodom - Agent Orange 

While I do prefer Persecution Mania to this album, it still delivers pure annihilation on each and every track. 

8. Autopsy - Severed Survival 

Steve DiGeorgio...that's all the explanation required, really. 

9. King Diamond - Conspiracy 

Again, not quite as good as his previous albums but it delivers. Especially since it's a follow-up to Them.

10. Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness

Many years ago, this may have not been on my top ten for this year but it grew on me. Certainly deserving of praise. 

This was a brutal year to rate. 

One of those transitory albums that actually manage to be absolutely excellent. Despite the brilliance of their past work, the songwriting gets even better. One of the best thrash metal albums ever made. The fact that they had the sheer skill to follow this album up with yet another great release is astounding because if they just stopped here, no one would have blamed them. 

For me, No Exit was a good yet somewhat flawed release from this band due to having to get used to having Ray Alder in the band after the titan of a vocalist that was John Arch had to leave. However, Alder doesn't merely comport himself admirably in Arch's absence but comes completely into his own. In fact, that could honestly be stated for the band as a whole, shedding their power metal roots and becoming what many may associate with modern progressive metal which really shows just how utterly underrated these guys are when one considers this amount of evolution (and later influence). 

I thought long and hard about whether it was appropriate to put this album this high but after listening to it again, I honestly feel justified in doing so. The level of variety that Overkill was able to provide in this era is outstanding and contains some of the highlights of this band's career. Another hallmark of thrash. 

4. Helstar - Nosferatu 

By Dracula's fangs, this album rules. The utterly flooring neoclassical twin guitar fury from André Corbin and Larry Barragan, the varied and well-structured rhythm section of Jerry Abarca and Frank Ferreira and the darksome operatic approach of James Rivera all work in tandem to deliver a vampiric masterpiece. Well, for the first half anyway. That being said, the latter half of this album is notoriously underrated. From the treasure trove of epic riffage that is Benediction to the neoclassical duology of pure majesty that is Von Am Lebem Desto Strum and Aieliaria and Everonn, saying that the second half of this album is largely inferior is just plain wrong. A USPM classic. 

5. Voivod - Nothingface 

Nothingface marked the point where Voivod went pure progressive metal. This didn't shock me as much as many others I've met claimed to be regarding this album. It was an evolution that was clearly coming when one considers how the previous three albums sounded. Regardless, while it may not beat the previous two, I still adore this release and consider it a point of pride for them as musicians. 

This band deserves praise for this release. Everything they've built on from their previous records (especially with the excellent Port Royal) all culminates into their second best album. From the first few seconds of hearing the iconic Riding the Storm, I knew these guys would knock it out of the park and would deliver some of the best metal the teutonic metal scene has ever released. Speaking of teutonic metal...

7. Sodom - Agent Orange 

While I do prefer Persecution Mania to this album, it still delivers pure annihilation on each and every track. 

Again, not quite as good as his previous albums but it delivers. Especially since it's a follow-up to Them.

Many years ago, this may have not been on my top ten for this year but it grew on me. Certainly deserving of praise. 

Some incredibly good stuff in there - Death or Glory, Conspiracy; No More Color; Agent Orange; Years of Decay - were all staples of my catalogue at the time. Couldn't even squeeze in Dr Feelgood, Savatage's 'Gutter Ballet' or the Skid Row debut.....what a year.

4. Helstar - Nosferatu 

5. Voivod - Nothingface 

7. Sodom - Agent Orange 

This differs from some of my choices, but syncs write up with what I would select in other spots. I can't really argue with even the ones I wouldn't choose myself though. There was enough good metal being produced in the late 80's/early 90's to do top 40/50 lists and still be rolling in quality. The golden years AFAIC.

9 hours ago, Ecthelion said:

4. Helstar - Nosferatu 

5. Voivod - Nothingface 

7. Sodom - Agent Orange 

Nice post, this inspires me to get back to digging around in that era again. I've only rediscovered my interest in most thrash and power metal over the past year or so. That Coroner album is absolutely great - one of the few that stuck with me from days of yore, and probably my favorite thrash album. I'd agree that "Persecution Mania" edges out "Agent Orange" as prime Sodom. Sepultura's "Beneath The Remains", Forced Entry's "Uncertain Future", and Holy Moses' "The New Machine Of Liechtenstein" are other cool thrash albums that might show up on my '89 list, and that reminds me, I need to check out Protector's "Urm The Mad".

I've finally fallen in love with some Fates Warning recently, "No Exit" and "Parallels" especially. "Perfect Symmetry" has yet to click for me as a whole - the momentum of its several good bits seems to disappear on slow, meandering trips down Prog Lane. But I agree that it feels like they're showing a lot of growth, and Alder's voice is phenomenal. The 1989 album that's most notably absent here IMO is Atheist's "Piece Of Time" - that album rules hard, even if it's overshadowed by the eminence of "Unquestionable Presence".

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said: The 1989 album that's most notably absent here IMO is Atheist's "Piece Of Time" - that album rules hard, even if it's overshadowed by the eminence of "Unquestionable Presence".

Yeah, I had to cut it but I still think it's awesome.  

Streetcleaner and Consuming Impulse were the most glaring omissions for me, but I would bet that they would have been a bit further down the list, accounting for personal taste.

7 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Streetcleaner and Consuming Impulse were the most glaring omissions for me, but I would bet that they would have been a bit further down the list, accounting for personal taste.

Consuming Impulse would be my favorite of the two. 

I might do my 1990 list today, by the way. 

Oh fuck, Streetcleaner is so good, I forgot it came out that year. Repulsion's "Horrified" would also be up there. Maybe I should tackle a 1989 list.

Yep, Horrified, Symphonies of Sickness, and World Downfall too. Hell of a year for grindcore. 88 and 89 are two of the best years in all of metal IMO.

Ecthelion's Top Ten Albums of 1990 

1. Psychotic Waltz - A Social Grace

A prog metal debut that is rougher and thrashier than their later work but no less cerebral and unorthodox. Not to mention extremely well-written. 

2. Artillery - By Inheritance

As much as I like their previous albums, there is no denying the vast improvement that this album had in the way of songwriting. Among the greats of tech-thrash and will have you coming back again and again. 

3. Megadeth - Rust in Peace 

My favorite from this band along with Peace Sells...and Who's Buying?. Legendary. 

4. Death - Spiritual Healing 

A fantastic blend of old '80s Death and their later sound throughout the '90s. A sadly neglected installment in Death's discography, from what I see. 

5. Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death 

Varied, intense and very well-structured. It is a sad state of affairs that this band didn't release more material during the '90s. 

6. Trouble - S/T

Trouble's turn to classic heavy metal, while seeming redundant at first, yielded one of the best albums in their entire discography. A truly evocative work from a band that could have very well rested on their laurels but went on to further solidify their excellence with this wonderful release. 

7. Sadus - Swallowed in Black 

Seminal death/thrash that combines technicality and atmosphere like no other. 

8. Forbidden - Twisted into Form 

Among Bay Area thrash's best works. A sophisticated, ominous and superbly-written improvement on the already great Forbidden Evil

9. Bathory - Hammerheart 

One of the most atmospheric and immersive epics of the entire metal genre. A true sign of Quorthon's songwriting ability. 

10. Thanatos - Emerging From the Netherworlds 

Another superb death/thrash release from the Netherlands which offers an incredible amount of depth and epic riffs. This album doesn't get anywhere near the amount of recognition it deserves. 

Goddamn, guys. This year is like: 

1s1vyw.jpg