RelentlessOblivion

The Official Thrash Metal Recommendations Thread

So I was sat here last night looking at my music library (across all formats) and realised my Thrash collection was at best mediocre.  I have made use of my streaming service and added 30 or so albums to work through over the coming weeks.  Highlights include me realising I had no real experience of Voivod, seeing some obvious yet glaring holes in the Overkill department and not really ever having fully explored Flotsam & Jetsam, Razor, Exumer or Testament.

Pleased to have got Sacrifice "Forward to Termination" in rotation again and also some Coroner too.  I will even be giving Vektor a second chance.

Well I might as well throw a few recommendations in here right?

Evildead - Annihilation of Civilization

Evildead are one of the seemingly endless thrash bands from the late eighties who seem to miss out on the attention they deserve. These guys played a nasty and technical kind of thrash more in line with bands like Artillery then the savage acts popping up everywhere at this time.

Hobbs' Angel of Death - Hobbs' Angel of Death

The Australian thrash scene is, in my opinion, criminally overlooked. Whilst not producing bands in the same quantity as the Bay Area or German scens just about everything I've heard from the Aussie scene is at least on par with those bands. HAoD is just one example, their debut is a savage riff fest that will have you headbanging until the very last note.

Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction

Yet another band from the Australian scene Mortal Sin favour a sound more in line with the Bay Area but with a heavier edge. This album in particular is just a fun listen.

Nasty Savage - Penetration Point

Ok I'll be honest lyrically this band kind of sucks. Musically on they other hand they play a riff-heavy brand of thrash that you can really bang your head to. At times the choice of riff gets a bit weird but all in all this is a solid album if you give it a chance.

Razor - Evil Invaders

Yes I know Razor were already mentioned in this thread but god damn does their speedy brand of thrash kick ass. Furious tempos, killer riffs, and nasty vocals - if you listened to the other song you know what to expect but that doesn't mean it isn't awesome.

Vektor - Outer Isolation

These guys are the clear standout in the modern thrash scene. Their spacey brand of progressive thrash really must be heard. Yes they too have been mentioned before but who cares this stuff is phenomenal.

Wehrmahct - Shark Attack

Lastly we have another band who seem not to be on most thrash fans radars. This album is an interesting one, kind of all over the place. There are great riffs, at times leaning on the punkier side, at others on the more NWOBHM influenced side of the genre. Just listen to it and you're sure to have a great time.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/50-queensryche-the-verdict/
      • Reputation Points

• 0 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 1 reply