New Purchases/Acquisitions

BlutAusNerd

A new computer charger (after the vacuum ate the old one), two new sets of chains for the tanem, a new rear cassette for the tandem, and 5 new drinkbottles (because you can never have too many drink bottles), still need to buy a new set of chain rings for the tandem and a new protein shaker. Also Bewitched - Diabolical Desecration and Destroyer 666 - Unchain The Wolves

Edited by RelentlessOblivion

It is an Ibanez. It is used, and was sitting on a discount shelf and when I asked about it the guy behind the counter rolled his eyes and tossed out the three dollar figure. I should not be surprised. It takes a power jack just like an effect pedal and has input and output sockets just like an effect pedal so I was excited about that. Maybe it would work well with a guitar, and just does not work with a bass. I blame myself for this fiasco.

It is an Ibanez. It is used, and was sitting on a discount shelf and when I asked about it the guy behind the counter rolled his eyes and tossed out the three dollar figure. I should not be surprised. It takes a power jack just like an effect pedal and has input and output sockets just like an effect pedal so I was excited about that. Maybe it would work well with a guitar, and just does not work with a bass. I blame myself for this fiasco.

Hmm. A bad tuner is worse than nothing at all... most people that I've played with use the Boss TU-2 or TU-3, and you can pick one up on ebay for anywhere from $50-100. The Korg Pitch Black pedal tuner is popular too. I got by for years with a handheld model from Korg that cost about $25, if memory serves. If you want to be seriously picky about tuning and good intonation, a strobe tuner is the way to go, and I love my Turbo Tuner pedal, which was around $130 (a far sight less than the Peterson tuners). You may not need that level of accuracy, though. 

Batman Hush (Complete) comic - yes we don't have to call them graphic novels - should arrive tomorrow.

Also my Amazon Prime trial allows me to add any album I want to my library for free (will lose them when I don't sign up post trial) so I have added:

Opeth - Heritage, Pale Communion, Morning RIse and My Arms Your Hearse

Winterfylleth - The Divinity of Antiquity

Actual purchases:

Bathory - self titled, The Return, Under The Sign of The Black Mark

Varathron - His Majesty At The Swamp

Dan Terminus - The Wrath of Code (free download on Bandcamp for fans of Perturbator, Gost etc)

I dropped my bass off to "The Musicians first Choice" in Augusta ME. I fucking adore the guys over there, fully top notch. Now I have full use of both pickups and action and intonation in line. Furthermore and on subject acquired a tuner. It is very like the shit one I discarded that was mentioned a few pages back, except it works like a charm, and has a strobe setting which is super cool, and mutes while in use, which may not make for interesting conversation, so reader, be assured that I'm moving on to recent record purchases (Ibanez LU30 costing 50 bucks, for those who care to know [Alabaster, this means you]).

Earth - Primitive and deadly (this will be the only metal album on the list, so skip the rest if hard rock from the 70's bores you.)

Mountain - Avalanche, Flowers of Evil, and Nantucket Sleighride

Warner Bros. Presents Montrose

Mahogany Rush - IV (this is the album I recently saw just the jacket of with no sign of the record, search as I might)

Heart - dreamboat Annie

Grand Funk - closer to home

Blackfoot - Marauder

Bloodrock - 2

Now you are up to speed with my last three sets of record purchases.

• 2 weeks later...

Tsjuder "Desert Northern Hell"

Inquisition "Obscure Verses For The Multiverse" - it has taken me years to get to grips with Inquisition.  Their style of BM has taken time to gel with me - that mix of furious blastbeats and slower, harrowing riffs when coupled with the minimal vocal style has only just clicked.

Batman "Knightfall - Part One"

Emperor "In The Nightside Eclipse" tee.

Edited by MacabreEternal

Entrails "Obliteration" - picked this up because it was cheap and an internet acquaintance of mine bigs them up a lot.  Not sure why.  Contender for rashest purchase of 2015.

It's a decent album, but the Swedish death metal genre has contributed many more albums that are much more interesting.

On-topic. Finally got my hand on a physical copy of Söngvar elds og óreiðu by Misþyrming.

Edited by Yobo

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies