What's on your mind?

Apoc

I spent some time this afternoon looking into the history behind the religious organization my parents are part of, out of curiosity and because I think it'll relate to the lyrics I'm writing for the quartet. Somewhat disturbingly, I very quickly stumbled upon quite a bit of material describing the seedy underbelly of this organization, about which I'd previously only heard cursory explanation and sanitized rumor. It's all extremely biased; I have no idea how much of what I read is either true, or at least written "in good faith", as opposed to being part of cynical smear campaigns. That's not a question of urgent concern to me, because I left my interest in this religion behind 21 years ago and I found myself even more repulsed when I revisited it in my early twenties. But the research makes me even happier to have left at an early age, and it makes me wonder how my parents can maintain their (relatively peripheral) involvement.
Sounds like some serious shit... I'm finally done. What's left is inviting a pianist over and finding an album cover as well as a place to record.

Feel metal retarded on here so far.... I "think" I know a wide range of music' date=' especially metal, but just within the few days I've been on here soooo many band names have ran across my sight that I know nothing about.... Hopefully ill catch up one of these days[/quote'] Don't worry, you'll catch on. That's definitely how I felt at first. I thought I knew "obscure" music until I came here :D

Feel metal retarded on here so far.... I "think" I know a wide range of music' date=' especially metal, but just within the few days I've been on here soooo many band names have ran across my sight that I know nothing about.... Hopefully ill catch up one of these days[/quote'] I agree with Abysmi on this. Most of the music I now know and love has been introduced to me on this forum. I believe BAN once mentioned that one of Metalforum's strong points is a combination of youthful members and more seasoned metalheads and that's pretty much on the spot if you ask me. There's always new music to discover and forums like this are a great way to get access to it.

I spent some time this afternoon looking into the history behind the religious organization my parents are part of, out of curiosity and because I think it'll relate to the lyrics I'm writing for the quartet. Somewhat disturbingly, I very quickly stumbled upon quite a bit of material describing the seedy underbelly of this organization, about which I'd previously only heard cursory explanation and sanitized rumor. It's all extremely biased; I have no idea how much of what I read is either true, or at least written "in good faith", as opposed to being part of cynical smear campaigns. That's not a question of urgent concern to me, because I left my interest in this religion behind 21 years ago and I found myself even more repulsed when I revisited it in my early twenties. But the research makes me even happier to have left at an early age, and it makes me wonder how my parents can maintain their (relatively peripheral) involvement.
I really appreciate you sharing this. Are you close with your parents? I know that I've jokingly talked about my parents regarding their religious beliefs and behaviors but it actually is something very painful and sad to think/talk about. There is no relationship there because of it. But I'm not going to go on about it. It's good to hear that you've found a outlet with your writing. I haven't really found mine except for listening to music (which helps) and keeping my mind focused on my children & occupied with the day to day. But it's always there. I'd like to ask you though, have you found that when the subject, your parents or upbringing, come up in a conversation, that you've encountered disbelief or skepticism from those on the receiving end. I have many times. Maybe it's due to not knowing how to process the information? That has def discouraged me from talking about it (unless I feel comfortable) and the fact that I've convinced myself that no one really wants to hear about that stuff. It's nice to know that someone can relate, to some extent anyway :)

I really appreciate you sharing this. Are you close with your parents? I know that I've jokingly talked about my parents regarding their religious beliefs and behaviors but it actually is something very painful and sad to think/talk about. There is no relationship there because of it. But I'm not going to go on about it. It's good to hear that you've found a outlet with your writing. I haven't really found mine except for listening to music (which helps) and keeping my mind focused on my children & occupied with the day to day. But it's always there. I'd like to ask you though, have you found that when the subject, your parents or upbringing, come up in a conversation, that you've encountered disbelief or skepticism from those on the receiving end. I have many times. Maybe it's due to not knowing how to process the information? That has def discouraged me from talking about it (unless I feel comfortable) and the fact that I've convinced myself that no one really wants to hear about that stuff. It's nice to know that someone can relate, to some extent anyway :)
I do have a good relationship with my parents, though it hasn't been without its bad times. I stopped attending the meetings at their religious center when I was fourteen, and they were pretty good about not pressuring me to go back. I have had issues with my mom from time to time, though. Frankly, she drank the Kool-Aid at some point, and can get very self-righteous. I highly doubt we could ever have a conversation about some of the stuff I read today, for instance. And reading about cults made me conscious of some aspects of my upbringing that still affect me now, that I'm going to have to counteract. But philosophically, my parents' belief was pretty easy to walk away from. I think I was lucky that their religion (which is a form of Hinduism, despite what they claim) isn't popular or influential where I was living, because I didn't have to put up with any additional peer pressure. I was already an outsider in the Bible Belt anyway and I had zero common ground with anyone I knew, from a religious standpoint. It wasn't until years later that I realized how thoroughly and completely I'd left their faith behind, though, and my first reaction was a profound sadness. I felt like I'd lost part of my childhood, that I'd realized it was based on lies. That was certainly a formative experience. It's inspired many of my lyrics and paintings, and stimulated my interest in evolution and psychology. As far as encountering disbelief in dealing with other people, I mean, yeah - I lived in an ashram in upstate NY for a few years as a child, and my family went back to visit regularly until we moved to NC. It doesn't say "Kishor" on my driver's license because that's not my birth name; I received it from my parents' guru when I was six months old. It's pretty outlandish. I didn't even realize what an issue it was until I had to provide all kinds of documentation from schools to prove who I was when I started working, because my parents hadn't put my birth name on my Social Security card. It's almost as if they were determined to make me seem like as much of an outsider as possible. I probably gravitated back towards NYC because it's the one place I know where that's fine: here, you are who and what you say you are until you prove differently. It's nice not having to choose between lying to everyone and being ostracized. These lyrics aren't dealing with that experience, though. I've actually moved beyond it pretty well, and I'm trying to use this opportunity with the quartet to express something that's ultimately hopeful - angry, but not scornful, and invoking the language of rejection only as a first step towards growth and freedom.

Right on' date=' definitely hope to catch on, cause I have a feeling I'm probably missing out on some pretty good stuff[/quote'] A great place to start is the recommendation threads in genre-specific subforums. Lots of video links, plenty of stuff to listen to. Even if you don't like a lot of it, it's worth checking out, just to know what's out there.

I do have a good relationship with my parents, though it hasn't been without its bad times. I stopped attending the meetings at their religious center when I was fourteen, and they were pretty good about not pressuring me to go back. I have had issues with my mom from time to time, though. Frankly, she drank the Kool-Aid at some point, and can get very self-righteous. I highly doubt we could ever have a conversation about some of the stuff I read today, for instance. And reading about cults made me conscious of some aspects of my upbringing that still affect me now, that I'm going to have to counteract. But philosophically, my parents' belief was pretty easy to walk away from. I think I was lucky that their religion (which is a form of Hinduism, despite what they claim) isn't popular or influential where I was living, because I didn't have to put up with any additional peer pressure. I was already an outsider in the Bible Belt anyway and I had zero common ground with anyone I knew, from a religious standpoint. It wasn't until years later that I realized how thoroughly and completely I'd left their faith behind, though, and my first reaction was a profound sadness. I felt like I'd lost part of my childhood, that I'd realized it was based on lies. That was certainly a formative experience. It's inspired many of my lyrics and paintings, and stimulated my interest in evolution and psychology. As far as encountering disbelief in dealing with other people, I mean, yeah - I lived in an ashram in upstate NY for a few years as a child, and my family went back to visit regularly until we moved to NC. It doesn't say "Kishor" on my driver's license because that's not my birth name; I received it from my parents' guru when I was six months old. It's pretty outlandish. I didn't even realize what an issue it was until I had to provide all kinds of documentation from schools to prove who I was when I started working, because my parents hadn't put my birth name on my Social Security card. It's almost as if they were determined to make me seem like as much of an outsider as possible. I probably gravitated back towards NYC because it's the one place I know where that's fine: here, you are who and what you say you are until you prove differently. It's nice not having to choose between lying to everyone and being ostracized. These lyrics aren't dealing with that experience, though. I've actually moved beyond it pretty well, and I'm trying to use this opportunity with the quartet to express something that's ultimately hopeful - angry, but not scornful, and invoking the language of rejection only as a first step towards growth and freedom.
I'm enjoying reading about your experiences, man.

Feel metal retarded on here so far.... I "think" I know a wide range of music' date=' especially metal, but just within the few days I've been on here soooo many band names have ran across my sight that I know nothing about.... Hopefully ill catch up one of these days[/quote'] Don't worry about it, everyone has been there. I have made the mistake of thinking that I was more knowledgeable than I was more times than once, and it's only become more apparent how much I'm still unfamiliar with. I have over 2000 albums in my collection, but the more I add, the more I discover and the faster that my want list grows.

If you don't mind me asking, which religious organization might this have been, Hare Krishna or something like that?

Feel metal retarded on here so far.... I "think" I know a wide range of music' date=' especially metal, but just within the few days I've been on here soooo many band names have ran across my sight that I know nothing about.... Hopefully ill catch up one of these days[/quote'] Probably not what you want to hear but I've been here 3 years and still feel like I'm oblivious to the vast majority of what's out there.

I'm enjoying reading about your experiences' date=' man.[/quote'] Hah, ok. It honestly feels a little strange to be posting about all of this, but it's nothing I haven't shared with friends in conversation, so I guess it's not that strange. It's certainly given me a wide variety of things to write about. I love my parents and have a lot of respect for them, but I don't want my kid to grow up the way I did.

Hah' date=' ok. It honestly feels a little strange to be posting about all of this, but it's nothing I haven't shared with friends in conversation, so I guess it's not that strange. It's certainly given me a wide variety of things to write about. I love my parents and have a lot of respect for them, but I don't want my kid to grow up the way I did.[/quote'] Maybe enjoy wasn't the right word. Or it is, but maybe it doesn't give the right connotation. All I meant was that it was interesting.