What's on your mind?

Apoc

In a classroom environment I never have that problem but a few times I've had to do public speeches for events my uni has asked me to attend (basically chatting with schools about how my uni can assist vision impaired students) and I can't do it.
I have been taking a required "speech" course this semester, and it has actually helped me tremendously. I have never had a problem doing anything besides speaking in front of a crowd. They cannot force you to do it if you don't want to.

I was very pleased my parents directed me into the National Forensics League, it did wonders for my self-confidence and of course speaking and debating ability on a number of fronts. Very rewarding experience. I also have to thank my mom for ensuring I learned to read in a voice that didn't resemble the popular style being taught in public schools across this nation of ours; namely, that of an animatronic cat low on battery.

I was very pleased my parents directed me into the National Forensics League' date=' it did wonders for my self-confidence and of course speaking and debating ability on a number of fronts. Very rewarding experience. I also have to thank my mom for ensuring I learned to read in a voice that didn't resemble the popular style being taught in public schools across this nation of ours; namely, that of an animatronic cat low on battery.[/quote'] This one man in my class sounds extremely monotone and boring when he gives his speeches. I feel so bad for him because he fidgets a lot as well and I think he is just suppeerrr nervous.

Sadly it's incredibly difficult to get away with that at higher learning facilities. Besides most classes have a participation mark which can be the difference between a fail or a pass, a pass or a credit, a credit or a distinction, or a distinction and a high distinction (at my uni 50-64, 65-74, 75-84 and 85+ respectively).

Some progress on the 'remembering how to play guitar' front. I've recalled how to play "The Trooper" "The Hellion/Electric Eye" and the start of "Symbolic". That does still leave a lot I can't remember though and in more bad news I was on the wrong end of a noise complaint today. Admittedly I did have my amp turned way up but it's a tiny 75 watt thing :D

Well I'm now almost $3000 in debt because of 2 missed truck payments and the fact that i had to get a wrecker to pullstart me and then had to have another wrecker tow me to have my truck repaired because i hit an elk and wrecked my truck. I'm having a wonderful day right now.
That sucks. Hope things improve for you.

Well I'm now almost $3000 in debt because of 2 missed truck payments and the fact that i had to get a wrecker to pullstart me and then had to have another wrecker tow me to have my truck repaired because i hit an elk and wrecked my truck. I'm having a wonderful day right now.
Hope your day improves buddy

I doubt they will I've been having a shit past 2 weeks. I can't seem to get my shit together for some reason. I've been drinking pretty hard these past could of days now just so i could sleep an get rid of some of the stress. I had to pull over yesterday and pound a bottle of pabst just so I could drive straight I was so damn stressed out. I seriously can't live like this it's gonna fucking kill me. I really dont know what to do though. I feel like I'm out of options here.

Whoa, that blows. Hard luck for the elk, as well... sorry to hear about it, I hope you can make that back quickly. Edit - just saw the above post, holy shit man, you need a break. It sounds like it's been nonstop hell for you. This is gonna sound rich coming from me, so take it for what it's worth to you, but you should probably lay off the beer for at least a couple of days to help get your head on straight. I know it helps temporarily, but in the long run it can make you more irritable and stressed. Drinking always messes up my sleep a bit, too. I really do hope you can get back to work and out of debt as soon as possible, that kind of pressure sucks to deal with.

Really sick of these constant headaches I get whenever I am stressed out about school. Six years and some change has taken it's toll on me..ready to be the hell done.
Sorry, maybe I missed it, but what are you in school for? What's driving you so nuts? Purely from an experiential standpoint, I miss college, but I also have some doubts about the quality of my education and a very low regard for its utility.

Sorry' date=' maybe I missed it, but what are you in school for? What's driving you so nuts? Purely from an experiential standpoint, I miss college, but I also have some doubts about the quality of my education and a very low regard for its utility.[/quote'] Yes I am unbelievably down today. I am majoring in social work, then I have to get my masters in order to do counseling, plus two years under supervision. I will be nearly 30 years old before I can do anything on my own with this shit degree. I wish I would had gotten into organic and healthy eating years ago, otherwise I would had gone for dietitian and would be making around $50,000 already.

Hey Mindy, In my opinion being a dietitian is fine, but counseling is kind of magic. Hopefully you'll be really glad about it when it happens. Forgive me if I sound a little condescending, but I doubt that many people are really ready to be councilors before the age of 30 which sounds kind of young to me. And while I'm handing out sage advice I'll push my luck and say that I believe you can learn to handle mundane stress, by which I mean any stressful stuff you deal with on a regular basis. If it is not inherently dangerous just pay attention to how you react to it, and practice reacting like it's a thing you deal with all the time and is no big deal.

Hey Mindy' date=' In my opinion being a dietitian is fine, but counseling is kind of magic. Hopefully you'll be really glad about it when it happens. Forgive me if I sound a little condescending, but I doubt that many people are really ready to be councilors before the age of 30 which sounds kind of young to me. And while I'm handing out sage advice I'll push my luck and say that I believe you can learn to handle mundane stress, by which I mean any stressful stuff you deal with on a regular basis. If it is not inherently dangerous just pay attention to how you react to it, and practice reacting like it's a thing you deal with all the time and is no big deal.[/quote'] You are very kind thank you very much:wink:

Yes I am unbelievably down today. I am majoring in social work' date=' then I have to get my masters in order to do counseling, plus two years under supervision. I will be nearly 30 years old before I can do anything on my own with this shit degree. I wish I would had gotten into organic and healthy eating years ago, otherwise I would had gone for dietitian and would be making around $50,000 already.[/quote'] Hmm, that sounds like par for the course for an advanced degree. My wife didn't get out of school until she was 28. I don't think being in a school environment for that long is developmentally beneficial (just an opinion based on anecdotal experience), but social work seems like the kind of thing you'd have to be willing to tough it out for. I have a friend who took a different path into counseling, through art therapy, and she's just gotten her first solid job placement after years of hard work and disappointment. And she had to.be willing to move to Knoxville to take it...

Hmm' date=' that sounds like par for the course for an advanced degree. My wife didn't get out of school until she was 28. I don't think being in a school environment for that long is developmentally beneficial (just an opinion based on anecdotal experience), but social work seems like the kind of thing you'd have to be willing to tough it out for. I have a friend who took a different path into counseling, through art therapy, and she's just gotten her first solid job placement after years of hard work and disappointment. And she had to.be willing to move to Knoxville to take it...[/quote'] Art therapy is very difficult because it is a rare position. I was actually thinking of doing Art therapy years ago, but my advisor said that the job outlook was not good because generally they will use social workers and counselors for those activities (because apparently insurance companies love cheap costing social workers......). It all sucks really bad. I was looking up physical therapist assistant today, and they just require an associates degree and are averaging $52,000 per year.....clinical/psychiatric social workers need a masters degree (4 more years) and average about $45,000. What the actual fuck? Because the mental health of an individual is a lot less important and less hardwork than helping someone with a physical issue.................................................................................................................................................................................

The fact that high qualifications are necessary for mental health professionals suggests to me that mental health is considered a more involved field where a better grasp of the subject material is required - whereas physical therapy is a much easier subject to approach, the root problems behind symptoms being much easier to quantify and treat. I also imagine the prevalence of reported cases of physical problems are much higher than the prevalence of reported mental problems, therefore creating a larger demand for physical therapists. This could be because A) physical problems are easier to spot and B) reported physical problems are taken a lot more seriously. Additionally, salaries by no means tell the whole story; benefits are a significant proportion of employee compensation. Take Foreign Service personnel; their pay varies and isn't always a treasure chest - but their housing and moving expenses are completely covered by the government. To take another example, teachers are not particularly well-paid in Finland, and their educational requirements are quite steep; a Master's is necessary to teach high school students. However, they do have very good benefits. People argue that this may be part of the reason why Finland is considered one of the best-educated nations in the world, usually ranking in the top 3 or 5 alongside Hong Kong and Singapore on metrics like the PISA test.