What's on your mind?

Apoc

Ah yes' date=' I've seen it before. Great and intelligent movie. The ghost scene in which one guy enters the taped door, is probably the scariest I ever saw in a horror movie.[/quote'] Agreed, really great movie with also a great message, which is today even more accurate than thirteen years ago, when this movie was made. The atmosphere through film is certainly uncomfortable, although it never gets really scary. Maybe only in the beginning of the movie. Anwways, this was another great example of a very nice Asian horror. Wish all horrormovies are that good.

You'll be contributing some cello?
Yes. He's had a couple of bands in the past of which none remain for as far as I know. Eventually, the idea is to do some shows together, but I've only seen him a couple of times and the purchase of my new cello is currently on hold for about a few months, so it'll still take a while.

Yes. He's had a couple of bands in the past of which none remain for as far as I know. Eventually' date=' the idea is to do some shows together, but I've only seen him a couple of times and the purchase of my new cello is currently on hold for about a few months, so it'll still take a while.[/quote'] Sounds pretty cool though :)

Yes. He's had a couple of bands in the past of which none remain for as far as I know. Eventually' date=' the idea is to do some shows together, but I've only seen him a couple of times and the purchase of my new cello is currently on hold for about a few months, so it'll still take a while.[/quote'] It does sound cool! Sorry to hear that you can't get your instrument yet. Do you have something to play in the meantime? I'm having equipment difficulties too, I have some mechanical repair work to do on my Steinberger baritone and I can't afford to get my main amp retubed. Some of my other instruments are suffering as well.

It does sound cool! Sorry to hear that you can't get your instrument yet. Do you have something to play in the meantime? I'm having equipment difficulties too' date=' I have some mechanical repair work to do on my Steinberger baritone and I can't afford to get my main amp retubed. Some of my other instruments are suffering as well.[/quote'] I still have a classical cello and loads of sheet music lying around. I hardly ever practice them though; I prefer just picking up the bow and playing some random improvised melodies for a while. As for the cello matter: I'm very fond of my classical cello, but since I've been asked for a couple of bands already and intend to start/join one, I plan on buying an electric cello (Yamaha SVC-110SK). I think it will be of more use to me when it comes to playing non-classical music with other people, especially when it comes to volume. You played bass guitar, if I remember correctly? I hope everything will turn out fine :)

I still have a classical cello and loads of sheet music lying around. I hardly ever practice them though; I prefer just picking up the bow and playing some random improvised melodies for a while. As for the cello matter: I'm very fond of my classical cello' date=' but since I've been asked for a couple of bands already and intend to start/join one, I plan on buying an electric cello ([i']Yamaha SVC-110SK). I think it will be of more use to me when it comes to playing non-classical music with other people, especially when it comes to volume. You played bass guitar, if I remember correctly? I hope everything will turn out fine :)
Neat, I know a guy that plays seven-string electric violin - tuned to B as the lowest note. Getting a good amp, and settings that work well with other instruments, can be expensive and challenging, especially for metal, but it's pretty awesome seeing it in action. I mostly play electric guitar, and usually use my baritone; I prefer tuning to C standard but for the new band I'm in A, and a lot of the older Black Harvest stuff was in drop B flat. I've played bass in bands before and I enjoy it, but I do nearly all my writing with guitar and voice. The repairs are all just a matter of finding the time and money, both of which are in short supply right now.

Neat' date=' I know a guy that plays seven-string electric violin - tuned to B as the lowest note. Getting a good amp, and settings that work well with other instruments, can be expensive and challenging, especially for metal, but it's pretty awesome seeing it in action.[/quote'] Déjà vu :mrgreen: I actually considered starting the violin or vibraphone, but eventually chose the cello for its warm sound. There's indeed still the issue of buying a good amp afterwards, but considering the fact I know some people who may be able to lend me an amp just for group practice every once in a while I don't think I'll be missing one a lot until I have bought one myself.

Déjà vu :mrgreen: I actually considered starting the violin or vibraphone, but eventually chose the cello for its warm sound. There's indeed still the issue of buying a good amp afterwards, but considering the fact I know some people who may be able to lend me an amp just for group practice every once in a while I don't think I'll be missing one a lot until I have bought one myself. I should look up the English notation of notes. We have a different set of names for them over here (eg. do, mi...). I always preferred playing in the mid-high register of my cello. Also, 'new band'? :rolleyes:
Ha, yeah, I forgot I'd mentioned him. And I believe I was right the first time - B flat is his low note, which if you're in neo-Latin notation would (I think) be Si-flat - a whole step below the low string on your cello. The main reason I prefer playing baritone is because I like similar sounds, and I feel most comfortable writing in the lower range. Playing a guitar tuned to standard (which you might call "Mi") feels wrong to me, I don't enjoy not having the depth of the low notes. As far as amps go, the guy I know is using a Kemper, and I was initially skeptical but the tones he can get are really very good. The thing about whatever amp you're using is that it becomes an integral part of your rig; playing through a different amp can have as much impact as playing a different instrument, so it's worth the time and money to find the right amp for your situation - something powerful, clean, and flexible - as well as the right speakers. And then of course the process of getting used to playing through it can begin...

Ha, yeah, I forgot I'd mentioned him. And I believe I was right the first time - B flat is his low note, which if you're in neo-Latin notation would (I think) be Si-flat - a whole step below the low string on your cello. The main reason I prefer playing baritone is because I like similar sounds, and I feel most comfortable writing in the lower range. Playing a guitar tuned to standard (which you might call "Mi") feels wrong to me, I don't enjoy not having the depth of the low notes. As far as amps go, the guy I know is using a Kemper, and I was initially skeptical but the tones he can get are really very good. The thing about whatever amp you're using is that it becomes an integral part of your rig; playing through a different amp can have as much impact as playing a different instrument, so it's worth the time and money to find the right amp for your situation - something powerful, clean, and flexible - as well as the right speakers. And then of course the process of getting used to playing through it can begin...
I see. I feel quite uncomfortable in the lower range. You'll hardly ever see me play more than a few consecutive notes lower than the lowest G on my cello. I'll keep the advice in my mind when I hunt for an amp. Thanks! P.S.: My father just came in my room. Apparently he heard your vocals on In Your Absence and was drawn here to see if I wasn't in agonising pains :lol: