What's on your mind?

Apoc

Spent all afternoon drawing up my presentation for Fridays' interview - not done a presentation from scratch for a while and it is stressing me out to fuck! I am putting no text on the majority of slides and I am going to have to rely on my memory for reference notes as I imagine the competition will go into powerpoint overkill so I am trying to make mine memorable and stand out. Doing it naked wasn't an option apparently.

Only a few more days until MDF's sickest lineup ever, and maybe one of the best lineups among any festival I've seen. 4 solid days of beer and metal... :drool: Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Awesome. I hope you have a great time. Post pics! I wish I could have gone. Oh well, I'm lucky I got to see Ulcerate last week and I'm really looking forward to another show tomorrow night - Castevet, Pyrrhon, Artificial Brain, and Thantifaxath.

Awesome. I hope you have a great time. Post pics! I wish I could have gone. Oh well' date=' I'm lucky I got to see Ulcerate last week and I'm really looking forward to another show tomorrow night - Castevet, Pyrrhon, Artificial Brain, and Thantifaxath.[/quote'] Nice, I should be able to catch Castevet's set at MDF, seeing Artificial Brain would be sweet though. Cody said that he got an email from those guys telling him that Afterbirth's demo was a big inspiration for them, and the reason why their vocalist started doing vocals that way. They will probably be doing some shows together before too long. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I've been wanting to be in a full band for a long time, and I think i'm finally ready. I made a post on my facebook about it and got a few interested people for all instruments aside from bass. This week i'm planning on auditioning a drummer. I think because I've been doing ORCumentary so long it helped me find musicians who are more serious and dedicated to making music. I'm still going to do ORCumentary, but i'm looking for a new musical experience.

That's cool, Orc! I hope it works out. Are you going to stay with the same sorts of themes you've been using, or are you consciously trying to break away from your previous music? Every time I start a new band, I try to do it from scratch, if that makes sense - let it find its own voice. that's more and more of a challenge as I go on, though.

Between Nevertanezra' date=' the black/thrash project and this new band I'm surprised you've got time to post at all BAN. What can we expect from the new project?[/quote'] Maybe you thought my post was BAN's? We're still working it out, trying not to write ourselves into a specific genre - we've got some angular doom, some melodic parts, some grind dissonance. The song we've got finished is around five and a half minutes, and it switches between 5/4 and 6/4 a lot - I'm hoping to keep odd timing as a signature element of our music. It's a little bit of a strange lineup because, instead of a bass, we've got low and high guitars - I'm playing a baritone tuned to A, and the other guitarist is tuned to D standard. It's coming together, though.

That's cool, Orc! I hope it works out. Are you going to stay with the same sorts of themes you've been using, or are you consciously trying to break away from your previous music? Every time I start a new band, I try to do it from scratch, if that makes sense - let it find its own voice. that's more and more of a challenge as I go on, though.
The band i'm working on now is definitely going to be "serious" in tone. I have a pretty specific vision of what I want: industrial/melodic death metal with (potentially) two vocalists (second vocalist would strictly do cleans. I will be doing harsh vocals, keyboard (not live though, I want the keys to be on a backing track) and most if not all lyrics. I also don't want the music to be overly technical/progressive; just straight-forward, energetic, fun music.

If I could make one suggestion, it would be to reconsider using a backing track. If you can play the parts live, it not only looks cooler (IMO) but reduces the amount of equipment you need and the number of things that can go wrong. Also consider that it's a lot harder to find a drummer who'll be willing to always play to a click.

I agree with you, definitely, but again it's part of the new experience I want. I can play keyboards and do vocals at the same time in ORCumentary. Many bands that influenced me to start this have backing tracks that they use live, and if we develop a system that works for us i'm confident that technical difficulties will be minimal. I really want to do the two vocalist thing as well, and if I was playing the keys then to compensate the vocal duties would have to shift in favor of the other vocalist. In the post/ad I put that I want the keys to be a backing track and the drummer I am auditioning this week said he was interested. This is all in the early stages, so as I get a lineup together and we start writing music, we'll learn what works and what doesn't. I really want there to be keys in this music but I also really want to only do vocals live, so I guess i'll find out if I can have my cake and eat it too.

Going to another show tonight - Artificial Brain, Pyrrhon, Thantifaxath, and Castevet. I'm going to miss a lot of shows this year, and I'm happy that this won't be one of them. I enjoyed the Car Bomb/Inter Arma/Ulcerate show last week, but the only band that actually sounded really good was Inter Arma. Car Bomb's guitar was a bit cheesy and processed-sounding (dude had a laptop controlling his AxeFx on the stage behind him) and Ulcerate's drums kind of drowned everything else out, turning their set into a long drum solo that became a bit monotonous after a while. Both bands played well, it just would have been more effective with more balanced sound. Tonight's show is at the same venue, and I hope the sound is better. Really looking forward to it, in any case.

I don't know how to fix it, but by selecting the text you've written so far, you can view it. You can't see what you're writing next, but I don't think it's really necessairy except for when you're about to post it, so you can bring on any corrections

Sounds fun' date=' in any case. Will you change your stage name? :D[/quote']Hahaha I don't know. I've thought about it; I don't want to make it sound like i'm making a new band only to promote ORCumentary (which is most definitely NOT the case) , but at the same time I am known as Orc in my music scene and whatnot. I have a personal facebook profile for Orc Adams which I use for all my music vriends/booking contacts, so it would be less of a hassle in that respect.

So wow, that show was great. Thantifaxath in particular was excellent, I was really looking forward to their set and they completely nailed it. Great atmosphere, very clear, and of course they were wearing long black robes... Everyone played really well. I was sorry I could only buy two CDs. A lot of unique stuff going on there, the sound was much better (probably because they didn't bother overproducing the drums, since it was a "local" show). All in all a great night, very inspirational.