suggestions

A7X stoner ftw

unfortunately it seems this one has left the forum' date=' kind of disappointing but what can you do[/quote'] Looks like he's back - he was active this morning... with that being the case: Powerwolf - Preachers Of The Night Grand Magus - The Hunt Dakesis - Trial By Fire Absolva - Flames Of Justice Battle Beast - Battle Beast TBSO Toranaga - Relentless Retribution Asomvel - Knuckle Duster Stuka Squadron - Tales Of The Ost Those should keep you going!

unfortunately it seems this one has left the forum' date=' kind of disappointing but what can you do[/quote'] NO NO NO, I'm haven't gone, it's just that my school blocked the forum, so I can't access it during the day any more! Still a part of this, just waiting for a topic to pop up that I can give my 2 cents Thanks for all your recommendations everyone, I'll eventually get around to them!

• 2 months later...

I don't know of many female fronted bands that catch my fancy, but I'd definitely like more to listen to. There's nothing wrong with spicing it up with a female lead every now and then. For those of you that didn't see it in the "Controversial Metal Opinions" thread, I don't care for Angela Gossow's vocals. They're sloppy, and just not that great, imo. So, feel free to request anything that isn't Angela Gossow related. I DO like some songs that Tarja sings. Her voice is nice, but it does tend to get old after a while. Hmm... Sorry for being quite vague, but I really don't know what else to type here other than the fact that I'm looking for female fronted metal that doesn't stink. I know there's some out there.

Epica has some very good material but their albums are weak. If you've got time you could probe through their work. Theatre of Tragedy's oldest and newest work is very good. After Forever are quite good, their last album (a self-titled album) was great. Trees Of Eternity are a gloomy, serene group featuring Juha Raivo of Swallow The Sun and the lovely South African singer Aleah. Edenbridge are a great gothic metal group from Austria with a good knack for overall composition. Delain are my favorite gothic metal group, very accessible and well-executed material. Battlelore technically have two frontpeople, but their female singer Kaisa Jouhki is one of my favorite female singers. Thoroughly under-appreciated. Finally, there are only about three songs from this group that are actually female-fronted, but - Jeff Loomis' solo project has songs featuring Christine Rhoades, who's my new favorite female singer. 'Tragedy And Harmony' is easily one of my top ten favorite songs.

I just listened to "Tragedy and Harmony" thanks to you suggesting it, and it was really good. I'm going to look more into her when my internet isn't being so derpy. I've listed to Theatre of Tragedy before and remember not liking them, but don't quite recall what the song was. I'll look into them again later this evening.

well that's um, that's unusual aaanyway Draconian aren't female fronted but have extensive use of clean female vocals across most of their music. I personally think A Rose For The Apocalypse is their best album but I am in the minority on that Lethian Dreams are a female fronted funeral doom band so if you like what bands like Anatheme and Katatonia are doing but think they're playing waaaaaaaaaaay too fast this is for you :D. In all seriousness this stuff is extremely slow and more about atmosphere then riffs. Check out Season Of Raven Words as it's the easiest work of theirs to find

These might be a little different. But here are three that I like: Witchburn - A Seattle based band that plays stoner rock: https://www.facebook.com/pages/WITCHBURN/66143879637?id=66143879637&sk=app_2405167945 Vainglory - Atlanta based groove metal: https://www.facebook.com/vainglorymetal/app_2405167945 Christian Mistress - Metal with a touch of NWOBHM: Christian Mistress

Hey guys, I need help with something. Can you recommend me some old school metal? Example: I want to start listening to Metallica but I dont know where from! I need one or two albums that can introduce me to this band. Other bands like Megadeth, Black Sabbath and other influential bands that are quite old would also be helpful. I need to expand my horizons and get back to the metal roots, so please help me!

Alright well I can certainly help you out here From the start Black Sabbath: Start with Black Sabbath, then Master Of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage, could go for Paranoid, Heaven and Hell and Dehumanizer as well but I'm not fond of the Tony Martin, Glen Hughes or Ian Gillian era records. Deep Purple: Machine Head and Fireball are great hard rock/metal records Judas Priest: Most of their seventies records are pretty good. I'd start with Stained Class, then go for Sin After Sin, Sad Wings Of Destiny, Killing Machine, Rocka Rolla and then Defenders Of The Faith (their best eighties album) and Painkiller. After that Jugulator and Nostradamus have some great moments but the rest of their discography is hit or miss Motorhead: Skip the self titled and On Parole they're weak but after that the band hit their stride. They haven't changed a bit since Bomber so if that isn't for you then Motorhead probably aren't either. Iron Maiden: The first three (Iron Maiden, Killers and Number Of The Beast) are strong offerings, they dip a little after that but Powerslave, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, Fear Of The Dark and A Matter Of Life And Death are also strong albums. You don't really need any of their other albums but most will have a few good songs on them. Angel Witch - These guys are a little obscure and so tend to be hard to find. All four of their full length records are pretty good however (Frontal Assault, their third album, is probably their best but also by far the hardest to find). Saxon: The first couple of Saxon records are pretty fun, softer then the two previous bands but enjoyable nonetheless Pentagram: Day Of Reckoning is a good starting point. These guys are one of the earliest in what we call Doom metal and aren't that different from Black Sabbath Metallica: Kill 'Em All hasn't aged well but the first few listens are enjoyable, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets and ...And Justice For All to a certain extent are the bands best. After Justice don't waste your time (or money) the band are worthless from that point. Megadeth: Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good, Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?, So Far, So Good, So What? and Rust In Peace (their first four coincidentally) are very strong. More recently United Abominations and Endgame have some strong points but are average overall. Slayer: Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits are daylight ahead of the remainder of Slayer's discography. After that maybe South Of Heaven, Diabolus In Musica and Divine Intervention otherwise they are a little average Testament: The New Order, The Legacy and Souls Of Black are a highpoint for Testament otherwise I'm not that keen Overkill: All of their eighties work is pretty awesome. Start with Horrorscope or The Years Of Decay. I think that's a good starting point. There are a few other bands I could chuck in as well if you want (more on the doom and power/progressive side of things unless you want more thrash and a little bit of death and black metal)

No problemo Helloween: Walls Of Jericho plus the two Keeper Of The Seven Keys albums are pretty cool for early power metal Blind Guardian: Imaginations From The Other Side, Somewhere Far Beyond, Nightfall In Middle Earth and Follow The Blind are quality records and a great introduction to J.R.R Tolkien (seriously these dudes ONLY write about Tolkien) plus Hansi Kursch has a great voice Crimson Glory: Transcendence is the only album I own from these guys but it is outstanding prog/power metal Fates Warning: Awaken The Guardian is the only album from these guys I own but that will hopefully change soon Iced Earth: If you can get over the fact that they only have two good albums and they chose awful vocalists for both then Iced Earth can be rewarding. Night Of The Stormrider and Burnt Offerings are all you need though Demons & Wizards: What Iced Earth would be like with good vocals. Hansi Kursch is on vocal duties here. Grab the self-titled debut and ignore the second album Running Wild: One of those bands I have heard a lot of, liked all of what I've heard but never actually bought anything from. HammerFall: A bit like Helloween they're a softer band. Renegade, Glory To The Brave and Crimson Thunder are all you need. After that they become HammerFail Sanctuary: Refuge Denied and to a lesser extent Into The Mirror Black are well worth checking out. Warrel Dane puts in the best vocal performance of his career on Refuge Denied. Savatage: Gutter Ballet and Hall Of The Mountain King are brilliant albums full stop. Queensryche: Everything up to and including Operation Mindcrime. Attacker: Second Coming, great riffs but annoying vocals I have some more modern power and prog as well

Borealis: Fall From Grace, a fine example of power metal being happy without being cheesy and poppy Steel Attack: Diabolic Symphony this is dark, heavy power metal but everything else they've done is radio disney so forget about it Persuader: Like a heavier Blind Guardian minus the Tolkien and weaker vocals. Evolution Purgatory is a good starting point Serenity: These Austrian prog/power turned symphonic/power metallers are well worth a look. They have three albums (the third released very recently) but the first two are great. Fallen Sanctuary is, well majestic is the only word I can think of to describe that piece of prog/power brilliance. The follow up Death & Legacy is less prog but no less epic with symphonic elements done right. Iron Savior: I only have Megatropolis but it is hard hitting power metal and very enjoyable. Iceni can help with other strong albums from these guys Harmony: Chapter II: Aftermath is top shelf prog/power in the vocal and musical departments however they are a christian band so lyrically less so Manticora: I only have Hyperior which is great heavy power metal. Before that they were some kind of like prog rock band or something apparently. Omen: Battle Cry it's an old album I forgot to mention but it's full of riffs and hooks Future's End: Pure prog here and my favourite in the style. Great riffs, interesting lyrics, vocals are a bit thin in places but generally solid. Their only album is Memoirs Of A Broken Man Darkwater: Where Stories End more straight up prog and another good example of it. Not excessive and boring like so many bands (Dream Theatre for starters) Symphony X: Iconoclast more straight prog and pretty good stuff at that That's really all I can be bothered with tonight I'm afraid

If you like old school power metal also be sure to try: Mystic Prophecy Firewind (up to and including Allegiance) Cage Rob Rock Jag Panzer Hibria Sinbreed Savage Circus Paragon (Law of The Blade, The Dark Legacy and Force of Destruction are their best work) Primal Fear (up to and including New Religion) Tad Morose (the Modus Vivendi album is best) Some old-school progressive stuff: Magnitude 9 Psychotic Waltz Edge of Sanity (progressive death metal) I tend to prefer modern prog, so I'm a little better at recommendations for that.

Madder Mortem kills, glad you like them! Also, I completely forgot all the great avant-garde bands! Akphaezya is a French group with a fairly psychotic style incorporating some traditional French music and jazz very well. I like Anthology II in particular. Ram-Zet lean more to the industrial but have a kind of imperious and powerful industrial sound. I like Freaks In Wonderland but others prefer Escape. They have a male harsh vocalist who's a little annoying but their female vocals are good. Diablo Swing Orchestra use Latin, Spanish guitar, swing, New Orleans jazz and operatic elements to create a massively fun and varied musical experience. Unexpect... Unexpect are just bloody awesome.