Your Lyrics

Akuji

Thanks! Thing about that song, for some reason I feel like I got it right, like the music and the lyrics support one another properly. It's not a metal song - it began life as an acoustic ditty, and the vocals were written in conjunction with the music. A lot of my older songs were written that way, but it's something I've moved away from. I have massive draft emails, and somewhere, real paper journals, full of lyrical ideas that I'll scavenge sometimes for meaningful phrases, but I've found that my best success is achieved when I write to the music. I enjoy writing a lot, but one of the things I like best about pure writing is its disconnect from the need for physical, vocal delivery. Not a luxury I'm afforded with vocals, right, so it takes a totally different mindset. I think that's why some really smart people can write some really stilted, awkward lyrics, and some pretty dumb lyrics can still work well when they're in actual songs. My poetic process is plagued with a pernicious prosody. ;) Here are two more songs, from the new album, continuing some of the themes from Ingrate: Salt And Sand: Come, wash your wounds. Rest your bleeding feet. Though you've broken every promise, closed every door, wasted every gift, come take what you can. Wash your wounds with salt and sand. No matter how clean you are, you'll never be clean enough. Your feet pollute the ground. Your breath poisons the air. Your body's best described with words better left unsaid. You're more than half dead. No, you can never be clean enough - but still, come wash your wounds in this stream, where as a child you would sit and dream, though dreams aren't strong enough. Your day has come and gone. Stand in the circle, naked to the waist, locked in your own embrace, wallowing in filth. Remain under the water till it once again runs clear, and takes you far from here. At your approach, the earth would shift. Leaves scatter to the sky. Grass and flowers die. I praise your name with a million voices, raised in a song of shame, to keep the dead in the ground, your body on the ground, your face held to the ground, while I hammer the nail through. Then later, I'll wash your wounds with salt and sand. Oh, how you lay there, king of birds and stones. Oh, how you lay there, graceless and cold, a shell, a piece of meat. You stabbed the sacred heart. You bit the sacred hand. You'll die in your own shit, but first you'll live in pain. No matter how you wash, you'll never be clean again. The Beggar's Song: Whosoever would offer sustenance, I come as a beggar before you. Some are called to the table who bring wine, fruit, or tender flesh - a feast for kings. There are those of us who come with only hunger. We'll starve to death unless we learn to sing. A fool before your court, groveling in the dirt for every meal. Hold me down at the right moment. Nobody comes when I call. This cruelty is necessary - no one else will ever see, no one else will ever know. No one else will ever know what the truth is. Now see what you've done? Now see what you've done? Tasted of my flesh. I'm in the circle now, and everything is connected: my bones inside your skin. As daylight's child, I was strong. Here, every night, I'm dead on my back. Though everything's the same, and you'll never hear my words, I'm closer to you now than I've ever been. Some are called to the table out of need. Some of us would have been happier alone. Are you now unready, or unwilling, to eat the harvest you have sown? If I return to you with a cover on my eyes, treat me gently. And though I seem a beggar in disguise, let me in, and let me have my fill. If I come as a wolf before your door, make me welcome. But afterwards, if once you turn away, as if you never saw me - I swear you never will.

The Salt And Sand lyrics are fantastic! I tend to have more lyrical ideas when I'm angry than when I'm sad, probably because being sad almost always loops back to a sense of worthlessness so it's a bit of a lyrical dead end. Chances are I could do a song about a broader sadness, but there are just so many ways for me to be angry. Still thinking about the Babylon lyrics, and might try the worthlessness theme again.

• 3 weeks later...

More for ye gibbon: Hymne I: Khay-oss At the advent Ov ye beginning ov times Ye world was in chaos Realm ov Tiamat Extending through all the earth That was not The earth was not And never was Until now When it is But soon will not And indeed is not And never was and never will be For we are ye lords ov entropy Faceless lords Nonexistent lords of nonexistence In existence Eterneal nonexisting existence Lord of eternal entropy Which reigneth now And forever Into non-forever Into neverever Into neverland Ov doooooooommm And death Nonexistence In life And in death Nothing exists except nonexisting existence of nonexisting entropic existent nonexistence Nothing exists Except chaos Which does not exist And the lords of chaos Who created nonexistence By nonexisting In nonexistent power Power of nonexistence Nonexistent

Sitting in a stifling dark Sat a pale, frightened girl Tears like blood streamed down her face Pooling on the floor She tried to stand, tried to move Terror gripped her heart Her body froze in place Paralysed by fear This pale, weeping girl She now would try to scream Her lips stayed still, no sound did come Like her mouth was sewn shut All at once there came a voice Calling from the dark Child-like it whispered To the pale, frightened girl That voice it did cajole her Commanded er to rise She ventured forth towards the sound Of a voice from distant years The darkness closed behind her Like jaws which snap at prey The voice of untold ages Leading her astray Been able to add a little to these but it is hard work. Because their inspiration was a daydream it's rough going trying to get any work done.

I don't have a clear idea of how I want the vocals to sound, they probably won't be performed by me. The song will be a slow build starting out clean and getting heavier as events progress. I don't see there being a clearly defined chorus to this one unlike those 1984 inspired lyrics from a few pages back. Speaking of which I really don't like those ones anymore. Think I've settled on a writing style now and I plan to scrap the Orwell inspired lyrics but some feedback on those before I do so would be appreciated.

I wrote a heap of lyrics last year for the Grunge band i was in I wanted to be a little heavier and the Vocalist/Guitarist didn't want to, we have broken up now but i would like to post some lyrics. I have over 100 notes on my phone of just lyrics i wrote over from the end of 2011 to now.

Your Lyrics I wrote this song on the 6th of July this year. I don't know if it is good or not. "Filter Happiness" Verse: Awaking to the draining of falling water down a pipe. Its serious, you're delirious and your life feels ripe. Tear drops on the floor, who can see how you've been? Happiness in sadness. Not a thing to be seen. Chorus: Sun sets behind your head as you walk into darkness. Moon shines above your breath as you look up at the sky. Mind drives into the ground. Not a soul to be found. Not a thing to be seen. Verse: Awaking to the thought of blood on the floor. You breath, you think that your life is raw. You think you want more, they don't know what you've seen. Happiness in sadness. Not a thing to be seen. Bridge: This makes no sense. It makes no sense. Don't take offense Inside your head. Inside your head. Chorusx2 Sun sets behind your head as you walk into darkness. Moon shines above your breath as you look up at the sky. Mind drives into the ground. Not a soul to be found. Not a thing to be seen.

Ok, this is another one I'd have to hear. With the right music it might make a cool song. Some of the rhymes seem a little forced, and it's not really saying a lot - seems like three separate ideas in the same set of lyrics. The imagery at the beginning of the verses is the most compelling part of it to me, and the repetition of the final line throughout could be effective. As poetry, it doesn't quite stand up, but that's not essential to making a good song anyway. Did you guys record anything?

Thank you :) i know i'm not the best lyricist going around. Yeah we recorded 4 demo's 1 with vocals and 3 instrumentals, we had tons of riffs ready and heaps of idea's but we never ended up recording more. We occasionally jam in my room but not often, we are still sort of together but there are only 2 of us left so when we jam we have no bass.

Hey man, it doesn't take the best lyricist to write the best songs. I work my ass off on mine and only rarely feel that I've come close to evoking what the music means while making sense in any way. The more seriously you take it, the harder it is! Was that your drumkit in the pic in the other thread? Singing drummer? If you have a recording you're happy with, you should post it, would be nice to hear what more people are working on. And don't get Relentless started about bass players... :D

That's true man somtimes i just write what i am thinking without actually getting into the whole poetic side of things, i try to be poetic but i want to write what comes naturally into my head. Yeah it is, it's a pretty bad kit, i recorded all the tracks on the drum kit at my old school recording studio it was a very good kit and my one is average. My mate Cam is the Singer/Guitarist while i'm just the drummer. Damn bass players! ;)

Your Lyrics I have been looking through my notes and finding some i wrote last year, i wrote this in April 2012. It is unfinished, it's a very simple song: "Fate" Verse: Drifting on an open sea. Fate may turn and swallow you. Walking across a broken bridge. It will drop and make you fall. many of the ones you love. Could turn from that and turn to hate. This is what we all must face. Its Fate! Chorus: Fate will come. Fate will go. Most of us. Have no control Verse: Walk on the path it could lead to hell. Fate can strike soon. But no one can tell.

These are more satirical than humorous but hopefully they'll serve the purpose. Mainly they're intended to satirize the anthropocentrism in some black metal. Hymne 616: Ye Chosen Damned Beelzebub rises! In descent Ye descending rise ascends To pull down heaven Into hell And place hell in heaven Oh glorious inversion Those who ascend Ascend to pain And those deviant Celebrate The flames of hell warming their cold hearts And burning them Delightful burning As all falls away The splendid afterlife of nothing Except flames and darkness Better than the light of heaven Yet worse For good is defined by the tyrant And thus hell is bad And therefore good The righteous are damned By going to heaven And the unrighteous are saved by the ascending descent Backwards wings barreling through the earth Into molten afterlife Erasing completely In nonexistent ecstasy Burning perpetual existence in eternal unending pain Better than the light of the tyrant The freed Avoid the eternal dogma And in courage accept the truth of their iniquity The strong and brave go to hell of their own accord For repentance is for the weak Who have need of salvation and love Their peace is in pain In eternal non-peace In the absence of peace they find their peace by losing it In wretchedness enlightenment is found The strong never change But continue in defiance of the power The infinite power of love That wretched love that desires happiness for all O the lie Which claims that man must change and deny the natural Spiritual masochism Destroying the soul For no reason at all Except for the weak Who desire a reward for ‘faith’ Ye glorious damned have the strength to have faith in themselves, immutable, eternally unrepentant in perpetual unending pain with no hope for reprieve They desire no reward For in their strength they desire what they do not want So removed are they from dogma

That's going to be one long song... I have spoken to the gibbon, who admires thy effort, bvt wovld cavtion yov, lest yov stray too far from the Path Of The Göat. For lo that goatiness which we seek is ov the darkness of the original Ideal Anus; bvt in cornholing this Ideal, see that thov stray'st not too far from the Rear ov its Possessor.