Your Lyrics

Akuji

If I could stray from the lyrical topic for a moment, I would encourage you to begin recording yourself as soon as possible. Just go for it. It's a great way to jump into songwriting and figure out what really works and what doesn't. It doesn't need to be a badass concept album. It doesn't even need to be any good for it to be worth doing. Recording is just a fantastic learning experience. I started recording myself very shortly after I started playing seriously, and I honestly have no idea what my musical development would have been like without it. And it's so much easier to do a quality home recording now than it was even 20 years ago (which is when I started, with my guitar, Casio keyboard, and a boom box)... you can't afford not to!

I record all my practice session on guitar so as not to lose anything but at the moment I'm not really playing seriously I'm basically relearning how to play the instrument my playing was that messed up. What I mean by not recording is not putting together something I would release to the public just yet. I've got a very clear idea of what direction I want to take my playing in but I do want to round things out first. Then I'm dive headfirst into putting together a band (hopefully with likeminded people).

• 1 month later...

Working on something new. Pretty raw at the moment but I'll refine them later Weeping in a stifling dark Sat a pale, frightened girl Blood like tears streamed down her face Pooling on the floor She tried to stand, tried to move Terror gripped her heart Her body froze in place Paralysed by fear This pale, weeping girl She now would try to scream Her lips stayed still, no sound would come Like her mouth was sewn shut All at once there game a voice Calling from the dark Child-like it whispered To the pale, frightened girl that's all I have at present

Here are some more of mine from the new stuff for the album. Host: My eyes in your face, staring at the wall. Here is where a grown man becomes a child again. It's just as well you've laid down your burdens, after such a long life. After so many years when you did nothing but consume. Nothing in this world rests easy at night. Your heart slows down, but you're bleeding out faster, drained, an empty sack. The pattern that you are is fragile. The pattern's all you are, and it dissolves. And I am a willing host for anything that's left: one quarter of your blood, the closest you will come to eternal life. And in good time, we'll circle round like crows, an open-mouthed farewell, ripping you apart. Your voice in my throat, your tremors in my arms. The disease of the father forced upon the son. I have finally found a home. Echo In Dead Space: In the end, that's all it takes: the choice to be numb, the chance to forget what little might have been. It's not from the sky; it's born from within, ephemeral as vapor. From the back of the mind to the tip of the tongue, inevitably changes. When I say blood is a chain; when I say death is a gift; when I say I'm not coming back - what you should hear is a song from a cage. Move my lips in sacred shapes. Everything is a twisted echo in dead space. It has to be enough, because it's all there is. Writhe, mouth on mouth,a velvet tongue. Stick it in: a brand new sacrament every time. I remember you well, although you're gone, lost to the years. There's a stranger in your skin. Up in the sky, it hangs likes a curse, a scar in the center of my eye. And like a fire, it consumes, though it's burning miles away, and every shred of hope, every scrap of warmth has been denied. I rise from my worthless sleep, a worm on the ground at your feet. If miles and years melt away, I see you shining high, clear as the dawn. I should die that day. It hurts for a second and then it's gone.

• 4 weeks later...
Yay lyrics. Whoo hoo. Iceni' date=' you should post more of yours. I disagree with your take on atheism, but they're good lyrics. Are you a vocalist, or a musician of some sort?[/quote'] I'm an asshole with opinions and a big vocabulary, with extremely meager guitar-playing skills. With regards to the lyrics, I'll take this as high praise. Thank you very much! Have some more! This was inspired by Strapping Young Lad's lyrical style: Behind The Times Keep up! Drag your dowdy ass along Wake up! Lots to do wrong Carrying your ideas in that sackcloth of yours Concepts of lead and deadweight It’s covered in ash and stinks of sweat You’ll never get that in the gate! And change your clothes, for God’s sake The doors of the palace await What a disgrace you’ll look in the hall With your shuffling shame-faced gait Chorus: I’m so self-conscious… I actually love my parents! I haven’t really got the right mindset I haven’t quite learned to surrender yet Why haven’t you got yourself drunk yet? And haven’t got high either, I’ll bet! Why haven’t you banged six chicks yet? Good God, I’m so far behind the times… What’s that in the bag, anyway? Is that a text – like, a book – what you believe We threw that crap out yesterday It was too damned hard, we needed a reprieve All work and no play Makes you a mighty dull bastard Oh shut up already We don’t care what you’ve inferred Chorus: I’m so self-conscious… I still believe in external meaning! I haven’t really got the right mindset I haven’t quite learned to surrender yet Why haven’t you divorced yet? Why, I doubt that you’re even in debt! Why haven’t you killed yourself yet? Good God, I’m so far behind the times… What will they all think? The society Eyebrows will be raised Surely you won’t just ignore us We’re well-near amazed Won’t you sit down and screw up? Make mistakes and just be you! It’s what makes you human Come along and join the crew Chorus: I’m so self-conscious… I still believe in the personal beyond! I haven’t really got the right mindset I haven’t quite learned to surrender yet Why aren’t you living in lies yet? You know friends are impossible to get? Why haven’t you lost your hope yet? Good God, I’m so far behind the times I hope I hope That I am outside the times _______________________ Now some more, in the thrash style mixed with a bit of Biblical diction: Scorched Carcass Tactics Chorus: At judgment Split the sky with descending vengeance A blazing arrival Scorched carcass tactics Leave the bleached bones to cling to their beloved dust Scorn those architects as their edifices rust For even a cathedral is nothing more than an ornate shell Striking the vultures from their flight Drawing down the sun in a flood of light A burning tsunami crashes at the toll of the bell The pitiful sand castles swept away by the waters Hours rendered naught by a power until now not yet manifest Drowning the crabs scuttling in the grit Chaff effortlessly swept away in the reaping of harvest (Chorus) Mocking skeletons cry for justice in their lives And scream with fear when it finally arrives What marrow they have cleaved by the sword They wasted their time they were given to learn Watched now with tearless eyes as they burn Falling though abyss by a severed cord With a razor tongue judgment is pronounced A bladed crier dictating man’s ablution Reading from the scrolls the final chapter A book of destruction, wrath and damnation ____________________________________ And now, something you thought you'd never see: a set of lyrics, written by a Christian...about sex. Succubus’ Hymn When the darkness sweeps overhead Curtains for the day Collapsing with enervation Come all dreams that may Draw the blankets and bask in the warmth While you’re waiting for The comfort to ease you away I open the door Approaching your bedside with a confident stride My heels click against the floor Breathless, you watch my advance with rapt attention Your pulse has begun to soar (Chorus:) I wipe my mouth clean, I have done no wrong. I can’t be blamed if You’ve failed to be strong. Equal parts guilty And equal parts stained I’m always there for you A memory ingrained Now I lay thee down to bed, Sleep until thy lust is fed, And though I leave before you rise, Your obsession never dies. Outlined as a silhouette I stand by your window The gown slips from my shoulders Clothed only in shadow Moonlight glows on naked flesh Ready to take its fill Soft though silken sheets may be Your skin is softer still Extending my hand slowly, I beckon you forth I want to indulge in you Running my tongue slowly over full bloodred lips Your desire is bleeding through (CHORUS) You rise from relaxed repose Unfastening my garments, thus baring my form Your caress is reciprocated I drape one leg about you – your passion is warm… Entwined we recline upon your place of rest Pressed against each other in sweet debauchery Out of sight of judgment or guilt Loins salivating with unbridled lechery Locked tightly in most intimate embrace Clutching ever more tightly as our hunger grows Immerse yourself in me Tossed and turned by ecstatic throes (Chorus) Become one flesh In aberrant unity _______________ I WILL write a song about the Whore of Babylon one of these days, I'm promising myself. There's just so much unnerving Akercocke-style fun to be had with all the symbolism and visceral imagery.

I like it' date=' a polemic against proselytizing!:D[/quote'] I meant it as the complaining of someone who's tried proselytizing and is just sick of wasting his time...was that your understanding? Whoops, I deleted it. Here it is again. I Tire Bent in supplication My back is aching again I can hardly clasp These hands in twain Time has been kind to me It is man that has worn me down And man consuming time Against the immutable noun They all seem quite worthless Yet I can’t claim to be more But all the same, this indispensable mercy… It’s gotten to be a bore Chorus: I’ve no vigor to plead their case Their minds are dark and my heart is ill Rather just let them blither About their strength, triumph of the will A poker feebly jabbed into the fire The embers fade and I tire Much as it ought not My irritation grows great Toward egalitarian dislike and Ire arrayed against all hate? Righteousness makes the case A simple yet strong contention Predominantly ignored Buried in fecal attrition I’ve seen them wandering Rummaging through rotting dross They’re really quite above soup Let them be stiff-necked…their loss Chorus A pitiful fire I keep Though at least it gives heat Tramps make dazzling blazes with trash Scorning my humble heap Nourished with the deceit Leave them out in the wind and ash They’re getting sick from it The rancid effluvia they eat They walk slower until they stop The flies buzzing round consume the meat Dropping like the insects that eat them Rag-clad figures too good for charity Bent backwards from upturned noses With ego precluding clarity Chorus A funny little pantomime To see all these self-appointed Monkeys falling here and there With pocketfuls of wretched pride Ashes, ashes, they all fall down And I really couldn’t care But try I must Thus I do…and I tire

Nah' date=' that's fine, I just expected you to be annoyed and so your reaction was a little surprising.[/quote'] As I've said in other spots, proselytizing is one of my least favorite things to have to deal with on a near-daily basis. I don't care whether the intent behind it is pure, you know; just please leave me and my kid alone. We have dudes on street corners yelling into PA systems. And endless pamphlets. I get annoyed when people hand me flyers for comedy shows and furniture stores, and around election time with all the cars driving around blaring political ads; it's not just religion. The vibe I got from the lyrics was much more personal. You might be making value judgements but at least it's an acknowledgement that you're the one making the value judgements: screw us, we're doomed, it's not your responsibility or your job to change that. I find that attitude a lot easier to stomach; something about the endless compassion and concern feels really patronizing. Make sense? I'm not trying to be offensive. I like your lyrics. They're good. Sure, I think you're wrong, you think I'm wrong, whatever, it doesn't need to get in the way of me respecting your talent or your effort. And we can be friendly about it. I really can't abide vitriol, it keeps me up at night, takes my mind over.

Don't worry, I wouldn't categorize your sentiments as offensive, but I was expecting...I suppose a disapproving response. It's funny you should mention how much you dislike proselytizing because I've now had some personal experience with it. My mom recently converted to Catholicism and has been trying to get the rest of my Protestant immediate family to do the same. I won't speculate here on why she decided to do so; I suspect she has much deeper reasons that aren't as easily confronted as simple logic, but suffice to say it's been driving us nuts, especially because none of the arguments she's used stand up to scrutiny. As it stands I think I might be getting some perspective on why people hate proselytizing so much - it's not really the intent so much as the fact that it turns into a monotonous bother once all the points of intellectual contention have been covered.

Don't worry, I wouldn't categorize your sentiments as offensive, but I was expecting...I suppose a disapproving response. It's funny you should mention how much you dislike proselytizing because I've now had some personal experience with it. My mom recently converted to Catholicism and has been trying to get the rest of my Protestant immediate family to do the same. I won't speculate here on why she decided to do so; I suspect she has much deeper reasons that aren't as easily confronted as simple logic, but suffice to say it's been driving us nuts, especially because none of the arguments she's used stand up to scrutiny. As it stands I think I might be getting some perspective on why people hate proselytizing so much - it's not really the intent so much as the fact that it turns into a monotonous bother once all the points of intellectual contention have been covered.
Dude. Bingo.:)

Not Mine Look there, at the budding friends Building, slowly, their mutual affection Shy yet persistent, what will come? Awaiting a stronger connection They look so cute Will they marry someday? Looks somewhat nice Shan’t get in their way Exhortation: Just try it! What’s there to lose? Such potential to be had What a great thing it is to be alive! Bridge: Maybe this is happiness In these vignettes to see Hopefully it’ll go somewhere And joy will come to be Chorus: Time and again, what delight can be observed What love can be seen It’s heartwarming But this sanguine fire Is not mine Watch, the newlyweds Sharing such a tender, binding kiss The smiles of family gracing them Garlands ‘round a portrait of bliss Would it be good to wish them well? Usually that’s what people do They’re dancing; should they be interrupted? It’d be preferable not to Exhortation: There’s someone out there Just go and find her! Talk to people or You’ll never find her Bridge, Chorus Note the new parents Their joy at fostering new life What effort must have been put forth By both this man and wife They seem so pleased It’d be best not to ruin their day Better not to knock Turn heel and walk away Exhortation: That could be you If only you tried Why won’t you try? Please, just try! Bridge, Chorus It’d be nice, wouldn’t it? To undergo this lovely spectrum and scale But that’s assuming a meeting with success With more to do than to try and to fail Such an available vastness Maybe there’s someone out there But to be certain she’ll be good enough to know That she can aim for better fare And she will! Why shouldn’t she? She’s as much right to joy as any other Why would she burden herself And why should anyone burden her? It seems better to observe these things Leave the moment unspoiled and pristine Depart unobtrusively, with nary a wave Let these others go on and finish the scene Exhortation: That could have been you If only you’d tried Why didn’t you try? Why did you choose not to try? Bridge: Maybe this is happiness In these vignettes to see Hopefully it’ll go somewhere And joy will come to be Time and again, what delight can be observed What love can be seen It’s heartwarming But this sanguine flame Has flickered its last For there is no more fuel Not even the embers are mine This fire was never mine

Hmm. How very Katatonia! :D Can I offer some unsolicited commentary?

Such an available vastness Maybe there’s someone out there But to be certain she’ll be good enough to know That she can aim for better fare And she will! Why shouldn’t she? She’s as much right to joy as any other Why would she burden herself And why should anyone burden her?
Marriage is always a compromise; we always know there "might be someone else out there". We just agree to stop looking. It's not so odd to me that you'd credit the girl with "not wanting to burden herself", given that the prevailing mentality among a lot of guys is that "the man chases and the woman chooses" - but, I assure you, the burdens are shared more equally, and everyone is happy to find someone they connect with enough to make that sort of commitment. For me, at the time I married, it was all about trust; I've known my wife and had a bit of a crush on her for 18 years now... heh. But contrary to popular belief, you want a bit of space between you and the other party. At least for me, it's not just about being able to share yourself with someone, it's about being able to say no. It's about being yourself in your own space, and trusting someone to still be there for you. Of course that's not easy. In many ways, being alone was a lot easier. So don't build it up too much. Unrealistic expectations kill most of the things I've seen develop between people. Other married folks feel free to chime in with completely different opinions!:) /.02

Hmm.How very Katatonia! :D Can I offer some unsolicited commentary? Marriage is always a compromise; we always know there "might be someone else out there". We just agree to stop looking. It's not so odd to me that you'd credit the girl with "not wanting to burden herself", given that the prevailing mentality among a lot of guys is that "the man chases and the woman chooses" - but, I assure you, the burdens are shared more equally, and everyone is happy to find someone they connect with enough to make that sort of commitment. For me, at the time I married, it was all about trust; I've known my wife and had a bit of a crush on her for 18 years now... heh. But contrary to popular belief, you want a bit of space between you and the other party. At least for me, it's not just about being able to share yourself with someone, it's about being able to say no. It's about being yourself in your own space, and trusting someone to still be there for you. Of course that's not easy. In many ways, being alone was a lot easier. So don't build it up too much. Unrealistic expectations kill most of the things I've seen develop between people. Other married folks feel free to chime in with completely different opinions!:)
(emphasis mine) Don't know whether to take that as a compliment or not...but I have been listening to a LOT of Katatonia lately. I guess it is an upgrade from Eeyore. When I said 'burden' I meant to waste time and weigh oneself down - the lyric was that as such a peerless individual she'd almost certainly have her pick of suitors and wouldn't even have to go to the lengths of looking for someone. The business of pursuit more a sin of omission based on the fact that these lyrics were mainly personal. Put it this way, I'm not the sort of guy girls flock to unless they need help with their homework, so it's a bit difficult for me to wrap my brain around the idea that women actually seek companionship (in real life, anyway) - which also stems from the strong feminist influence on my campus and the experience I had observing the behavior of girls I knew in high school. As for building it up too much - well, that's exactly my problem, it's too late for that. I already have stringent expectations owing to my active imagination, which already presents a problem because I don't display the kind of compassionate forbearance necessary for a relationship to work. The simple paradox I deal with is that the kind of woman who would actually meet these expectations deserves better and is probably in a relationship with a much more worthy individual anyhow. It might be worth pointing out (although I suspect I've said so on this forum before) that I haven't even bothered trying to make friends with anyone of the opposite sex for five years. I've also never been on a date; the last time I even tried forging a relationship with someone I was told to bugger off before I even considered asking her out.

Jonas = Eeyore.:D But I love Katatonia. It's certainly not a bad thing. I'll save my opinions about your situation, because it is a very personal and private thing you're dealing with. In that way it's great fodder for lyrics, at least in my view. I like lyrics that aren't just "about something" but actually give me some insight into someone else's particular experience of the human condition. In that way, these succeed very well. There's nothing ambiguous about them. While your experience is private, the emotions you're talking about aren't unique. I'm sure plenty of people will feel that they could relate. All of your lyrics are well-written (I still think I like the Harry Potter lyrics the best!); I'd imagine that you're proud of them, if you're confident enough to post them, and you should be. Just as I asked Relentless, I'll ask you - do you have songs to go with these? That's the deal-breaker; a good song and appropriate delivery to back the lyrics up. My struggle with "metal song" lyrics is that I always start with complicated, fully written music, and the more complicated the music is, the more difficult it becomes to impose another layer of structure on it. Sometimes I feel lucky just to find anything that will fit at all. I take the same approach that BAN does of trying to find words to evoke the feeling of the music, which could be seen as backwards... Just so you don't think you have a monopoly on Eeyorisms... Here's one of those rare songs that practically wrote themselves for me, probably because the music is a lot more simple than most of my stuff. It's about my wedding/marriage, although it pulls in other things along the way: Your words are made of gold. On a summer day, they fly up to the sun, and they're gone away. My words are made of iron. They pierce me through my feet, and hold me to the ground. I'll never leave. I'll never grow up, and I'll never grow old, but I'll learn how to bow down and do what I'm told. Your bitter cold voice is so loud in my ear. God, I wish you were here, wish you were here. I know what it takes to prove I never lied: if I kill myself right here, will you believe me? Well, it turns out I'm blind and it turns out I'm weak and that everyone's right to be laughing at me. A secondhand ring from a secondhand man, and I'll die in the street, die in the street.

Well if I keep having pizza and Vanilla Coke for every meal I might just end up looking like Renske. Or maybe Jon Oliva if I overdo it. You like the HP lyrics the best? That comes as a massive surprise, I think they're OK but I prefer the philosophical lyrics and the one set about Raven from Teen Titans. Yes, I do like these lyrics you posted, they carry the point across and they're well-worded. As for having a song - no, I don't have songs for these. They'll just remain undeveloped ideas.