Your Lyrics

Akuji

Darkness opens its jaws Poised to devour the light All joy and pleasure Shall perish on this night Sorrow, rage and loathing Dwell within the shadows Love and light faint memories Of a time long since lost Cursed to live in endless gloom Empty and alone The sun is gone and all is cold Mankind awaits its doom To God we turn pleading Begging for our lives But in despair we realise God was never there So now we watch in horror As the planet writhes and dies Frost and ice now cover all We freeze where we cry This decaying, frozen waste We once did call our home Has perished in the blackness Of Death's almighty grasp

• 1 month later...
I like your lyrics' date=' Midi. They read nicely as poetry. I am really curious to hear them in a musical context. It's all about delivery...[/quote'] Thanks :) Delivery is one of the main things that keeps me from contributing lyrics when playing in a band. I'm always afraid the vocalist won't be able to sing it with the same understanding and nuance as I have in mind.

Thanks :) Delivery is one of the main things that keeps me from contributing lyrics when playing in a band. I'm always afraid the vocalist won't be able to sing it with the same understanding and nuance as I have in mind.
All the more reason to take up vocals yourself! I know finding the right person can be hard. I wound up doing them kind of as a default thing. I go back and forth about whether I want to do vocals myself or just concentrate on guitar, but I don't really trust anyone else's writing, and if I have to write the lyrics I may as well be doing the vocals too..

All the more reason to take up vocals yourself! I know finding the right person can be hard. I wound up doing them kind of as a default thing. I go back and forth about whether I want to do vocals myself or just concentrate on guitar' date=' but I don't really trust anyone else's writing, and if I have to write the lyrics I may as well be doing the vocals too..[/quote'] That's a fair point. It certainly wouldn't hurt practicing vocals more often...

I really like having a backing vocalist. I don't mind doing backups myself' date=' either. I enjoy overlapping vocals, combining different tones, etc. One of my goals with the quartet is to incorporate overlapping vocals, at some point.[/quote'] Interesting. Have you spoken to them about this idea yet?

Here's the first set of lyrics I wrote for the quartet. I may post my spoken parts here as well. This one is all growled and screamed over strings. It's called "Yama": Greet me as you will: a supplicant's grasping arm, the pale face of a coward. Greet me, frantic, the bit between your teeth, one step ahead of the lash. The traces snap at your back. It comes through storms, but it's not of them - this calm is peace, in truth, the end of awaiting pain. No matter if you gather your brave men around, Gather your children up, Gather gold behind high walls, Or run with what's on your back, blind and wild - Some spurn my touch, gripped by fear; others welcome me with open arms. You will die alone. The end of every covenant; the break in every chain; the lie in every word. The promise of every birth, striped with ashes. Come down, whatever else in this life has been denied you. Come down into the inevitable fire with open arms.

Here's the first set of lyrics I wrote for the quartet. I may post my spoken parts here as well. This one is all growled and screamed over strings. It's called "Yama": Greet me as you will: a supplicant's grasping arm, the pale face of a coward. Greet me, frantic, the bit between your teeth, one step ahead of the lash. The traces snap at your back. It comes through storms, but it's not of them - this calm is peace, in truth, the end of awaiting pain. No matter if you gather your brave men around, Gather your children up, Gather gold behind high walls, Or run with what's on your back, blind and wild - Some spurn my touch, gripped by fear; others welcome me with open arms. You will die alone. The end of every covenant; the break in every chain; the lie in every word. The promise of every birth, striped with ashes. Come down, whatever else in this life has been denied you. Come down into the inevitable fire with open arms.
This kinda reminds me of the Danse Macabre theme. I still have to look up a few words in the dictionary though. By 'Yama', do you mean 'mountain' in Japanese or the god whom I recall being used in a commercial for preventing driving when tired?
just a matter of logistics.
Gotta love the cold calculations of music. :mrgreen:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Get Your Fix, Enjoy Your Kicks (Cm, G7) With a hop & a skip, you fall & break your hip, oh grandmother, you're getting old. You know I'm gonna miss ya when death comes to kiss ya & leaves you lying there cold; I don't know who's worth living for, no matter who it is they're gonna be no more- oh no you gotta go. there's no way to beat it so just open up and eat it HA! I wish I could borrow someone's tomorrow 'cause the only I got is today. & when death comes around, it'll be right now, & I'll be long gone like yesterday. When I hear most life stories, just like church, they usually bore me- oh no I hope you know: when your time comes you'll have nowhere to run HA HA! So you're young & you're pretty but it's gonna get shitty; you ain't gonna age like wine. So get your fix, enjoy your kicks & then wait your number in line. 'Cause Father Time is gonna get his share, he'll trade you some wrinkles for all of your hair- oh no that's how it goes. Youth disappears like a twelve rack of beer HA! So, early in the mornin' when you're sighin' & groanin' & you can't stop complainin', just be happy you're awake for your dead friends' sake 'cause one day you're gonna be them. If you're listening to my words go stand in the rain and listen to the birds- oh no 'cause you know: when you go away them birds ain't gonna say NOTHIN'. Satan's Son (Am, Dm, E7) Looked in the mirror the other day. I saw that demon & he wouldn't go away; there's nothin' I could say. All there's left for me to do is pray. You see that alley down the street? You don't know who, or what you're gonna meet. Go along and see... you better hope to God that it ain't me. 'Cause if you really wanna know how I have fun, it's watchin' you run... scared in the dark, hiding from the sun. Scared in the dark, runnin' from Satan's Son. You don't know what I'm about, where I grew up, or who I hung around in that dead end little town. I took all my secrets & I buried them under the ground. 'Cause when I was just a little young kid I couldn't understand what those demons did, so I ran away & I hid. I went to my room, I locked the door & I hid. So, if you really wanna know how I have fun, it's watching you run... scared in the dark, hiding from the son. Scared in the dark, runnin' from Satan's Son.

Shovelling all that dirt Blisters on my hands and god they fucking hurt Muck all over my shirt Ooh girl you're such hard work The perks make it all worthwhile Looking down at your toothy smile But girl I gotta tell ya Getting here sure takes a while You great me with thighs open wide Knowing there's no need to hide It's late at night, no one in sight It'll be one hell of a ride You died a virgin at 22 I was so glad to meet you 'Course I got the silent treatment But wow it was such a great view Girl you're the best Better then the rest Redefining the dead root But maybe I'll give your neighbour a test? Shovelling all that dirt Blisters on my hands and God they fucking hurt Got soil all over my shirt Girl you're too much hard work