What Are You Listening To?

khaos

No, dark lyrics are typically hyperbole of actual emotions, the hatred is no less real because the subject matter is made more grandiose and/or poetic. People feel hatred for different things, I can no more relate to a feminine hatred of chauvinism than hatred of someone for racial reasons, but I can relate to the hate and rage in general. Not being able to get behind the causes of certain artists doesn't make me like their music any less, because what they do outside of the music has nothing to do with their music. Often times, actions separate from the music can be used as a tool to sensationalize certain artists (Ozzy's drug use, Glen Benton's guest appearances on televangelist radio shows, church burnings, etc...), and you can feel any number of ways about those things, but what of that filters into the music? Possibly some simular motivations have been behind both (hatred, desperation, past experience, etc...), but I can no more hear Faust's homophobia in his drumming on In the Nightside Eclipse than I can hear Allen West's meth addiction in Obituary's songs. Music is all about speaking through sound on another level of communication, and you can receive whatever you want from that. Some would argue that nothing good could be gained from watching a horror movie or listening to black metal, neither has ever made me a killer, a Satanist, nor even a violent person, despite whatever may have been the superficial topic discussed. It all comes down to what you're comfortable with, I just believe that if you're going to draw a line in the sand and say that you don't want to listen to or support artists whose views outside their music you don't agree with, I say stay on that side of the line and don't be selective about your criteria. It's just odd to me that many bands talk about shitting on Jesus, eating babies, rape, murder, necrophilia, and whether as a metaphor or not, these topics are somehow seen as being on a lesser level than xenophobia, racism, or sexism. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
I would think (or at least hope) most people will identify more with a hatred of chauvinism (whether or not that happens to come from a woman) than with a hatred for individuals based on the colour of their skin... I do agree, though. Music is a means of communication that often stretches to a level beyond factors such as political persuasion or religious beliefs. Does this not change, though, where the music is actually being used as a tool to convey these beliefs? I never implied that listening to music from a self-professed racist would turn me into a racist any more than, as you said, listening to satanic music will make me a satanist or watching a horror film will make me a serial killer. It's just that the knowledge of the artist's beliefs does limit (not completely take away) my enjoyment of said music. I feel uneasy about it. I don't stop listening, if I like the music. It's not that murder and baby-eating/molestation are lesser problems than racism or homophobia. It's the fact that, when a NSBM band sings about white power and hatred of homosexuals, they probably mean it. Anyone with a conscience can see that this is wrong and this material is dangerous. Compare this to the gore-filled lyrics of Cannibal Corpse: do you think for a minute that they actually like the idea of raping/murdering babies? No, of course not. It's simply entertainment, much like a horror film. It's not a double standard in that racism is wrong, but rape and murder is totally fine and dandy; it's that the reference to rape and murder are for entertainment purposes and do not represent the views or desires of the artists. The same cannot be said for NSBM or 'Hatecore' bands; they mean what they're singing! Anal Cunt have a song with lyrics defending Hitler, but this is clearly a joke and, again, does not represent the views of the artist. Hence, this gets as much of a 'pass', as you call it, as song-lyrics about murder.

Re: What Are You Listening To?

I would think (or at least hope) most people will identify more with a hatred of chauvinism (whether or not that happens to come from a woman) than with a hatred for individuals based on the colour of their skin... I do agree, though. Music is a means of communication that often stretches to a level beyond factors such as political persuasion or religious beliefs. Does this not change, though, where the music is actually being used as a tool to convey these beliefs? I never implied that listening to music from a self-professed racist would turn me into a racist any more than, as you said, listening to satanic music will make me a satanist or watching a horror film will make me a serial killer. It's just that the knowledge of the artist's beliefs does limit (not completely take away) my enjoyment of said music. I feel uneasy about it. I don't stop listening, if I like the music. It's not that murder and baby-eating/molestation are lesser problems than racism or homophobia. It's the fact that, when a NSBM band sings about white power and hatred of homosexuals, they probably mean it. Anyone with a conscience can see that this is wrong and this material is dangerous. Compare this to the gore-filled lyrics of Cannibal Corpse: do you think for a minute that they actually like the idea of raping/murdering babies? No, of course not. It's simply entertainment, much like a horror film. It's not a double standard in that racism is wrong, but rape and murder is totally fine and dandy; it's that the reference to rape and murder are for entertainment purposes and do not represent the views or desires of the artists. The same cannot be said for NSBM or 'Hatecore' bands; they mean what they're singing! Anal Cunt have a song with lyrics defending Hitler, but this is clearly a joke and, again, does not represent the views of the artist. Hence, this gets as much of a 'pass', as you call it, as song-lyrics about murder.
Does their racism being legitimate make you take racism away from their music and incorporate it into your life? If you're not getting into violent and depraved stuff because of another band's lyrics (which while mostly metaphorical are made to sound serious and real in most cases), then why would this be the case? The thing is, if you were to meet these people in real life, you may think they were douchebags, but you might also have a great deal in common with them apart from a bigger issue like this, who's to say? The point being, I can see not wanting to be friends with these artists, but the music is separate from that. I can understand not wanting to hear certain things in the lyrics of what you're heating, but in the cases mentioned, it's not there. Or is it more that you feel some kind of extended responsibility for liking, promoting, and/or supporting these artists through buying and enjoying their music which would help fund their goals and spread their message? I hear this argument a great deal, but people will always find platforms to spread their messages and will always be able to make money from one source or another, and that's not something I could see feeling guilty about. Should my mom feel guilty for financing Kenworth trucks that Gary Ridgeway, the Green River Killer was building, thus keeping him employed and funded in his enterprise of murder? No, because his building trucks had nothing to do with his killing of people, just like an Burzum's music is separate from their message. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Intronaut - Prehistoricisms I'd never heard these guys before and didn't know what to expect. I'm actually really liking it so far, aside from this drum solo I just heard. Not entirely sold on the vocals, but there are some really cool chords and odd rhythms here, and they make an effort to be melodic in an unconventional way. I really appreciate the interplay of the guitars and bass. edit - some of these songs are really meandering and self-indulgent. I can't say I like all of it - the spacey percussion with the sitars and the gratuitous jazz turn me off a bit. But the good parts are really good. There's a good amount of what I liked about later Isis going on here. I'll definitely be listening to this more.

Intronaut - Valley Of Smoke I was skeptical about the clean vocals, but they're really nice. Again I'm reminded a bit of Isis. Simple, with good harmonies, not dinky and cheesy. There's a contemplative, hopeful, and energetic feel to everything. This album is much more "progressive" than it is "metal"; still has plenty of heavy moments, but it always returns to an airy lightness, guitar atmospheres over bouncy bass arpeggios. I quite like this, but it'll probably disappoint anyone looking for a lot of aggression or darkness.

You read my mind. :D I wanted to like them but I never did.
I'm not surprised that you don't like them. Who knows, you might get into it more if your tastes change - there was definitely a time when I wouldn't have enjoyed them much either. How do you feel about instrumental prog? I just listened to the Cloudkicker album "Beacons" and I was really impressed. I hear all the guy's albums are a bit different, I heard one last year that I didn't like as much.

How do you feel about instrumental prog? I just listened to the Cloudkicker album "Beacons" and I was really impressed. I hear all the guy's albums are a bit different' date=' I heard one last year that I didn't like as much.[/quote'] I'm warming to it, but I tend not to like instrumentals. Vocals are important to me. I suppose I could give Cloudkicker a shot, I didn't like the last bit of stuff I heard from them so I suppose I could listen to this album.