What Are You Listening To?

khaos

52 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Haha no dude you're fine, don't panic! I'm not trying to interrogate you or put you on the spot or anything, just extending a friendly hello from the group since I see you here every day now, and inquiring about what your deal is since you hadn't offered any information other than your location. I like meeting new people too, we're a very welcoming bunch over here, and I think I can speak for everyone when I say we're glad to have you.

I understand at 27 you must feel like you're getting older now, rapidly approaching 30 which sounds very adult-like. I remember 27 was the age when I realized there was no going back I was going to be an adult soon whether I liked it or not. Just realized 27 was also the age when I got married for the first time in '88. But trust me aderfé, you're still quite young to someone 62 who was already 35 when you were born.

I'm actually quite fascinated when I meet younger people like you who are into real metal. I've gotten it into my head that young folks under 35 or 40 aren't generally interested in real metal anymore these days. And as someone who has a ten year old son who has yet to really dive head first into music, I spend a fair amount of time wondering what kind of music he could be listening to in a few years when he does (hopefully) become interested in music. So meeting young dudes like you in their 20's who are metalheads gives me some hope that maybe metal could be something that he and I could bond over one day. My dad never cared for any of my music as a teen in the 70's, so we had to bond over sports.

My one big question that I have for you though Yannis, is why do you always seem to post individual songs instead of full albums? Not that there's anything wrong with that, you do you, but most metalheads post the whole album because we tend to listen to albums in their entirety most of the time, not just random songs on shuffle. Except for Mark and his infamous playlists of course.

Also maybe you could start labeling your posts with at least the band name and album/song title? That way when I get one that says "video unavailable" like the one you posted 3 hours ago, I'll still know what it was. Also I'm pretty old and I have a lot of trouble deciphering most of these crazy intricate band logos. ευχαριστώ

And no, if you're wondering I don't speak Greek, but I was married to a Greek and then I worked for Greeks for 20 years so I might've picked up just a few words. 

Yeah time waits for no man and i can already feel the cold lingering breath of death on my neck 😭. At least i take i solace in the fact that i will have several more killer albums to jam to with you guys on board hehe. Now i imagine you guys like a row of ripped tall vikings in battle armor all the while i'm just cowering in a corner like an infant, seriously you're not old at all..on the contrary i love to converse with more mature guys, like i dont know how to explain, it's like they know what they want and have more experience in many things. And please you're triggering my cute aggression when you speak greek words..its so adorable 😖 You're kidding mee? My dad only listen to ACDC despite all my efforts to introduce him to new stuff he just says "Ai Yannis this is demonic!!" (he said this for Black Sabbath's self-titled btw can you believe the guy..)  and goes back to listening to Thunderstruck for the 146743th time... Oh i don't mind to put the title before the link, its just how i was used to posting back in the old steam group. Im more keen on posting individual songs, because after i listen to the entire album i pick my favourite track, i hope its not troublesome. I don't blame you my boyfriend is from Spain and finds it very difficult to learn greek but i help him all i can xD

Funeral - Tristesse

15 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

That is indeed a hell of a blurb. I think maybe we need a more metal term for lily gilding in this manner: Lamb-gutting? Liver-grating? Limb-graveling? Any suggestions?  

Bowel stretching. Because that was some load of shit they sharted out just to say it was ugly dissonant death metal. Unless it's a war metal band from the Ross Bay Cult school of the black arts and then I suppose goat fucking would probably be more appropriate.

22 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Warning - Watching From a Distance, UK doom 2006. Vocals were a bit off-putting at first, but then I realized they fall into the so bad they're good category, and now I'm rather enjoying this.

Definitely, this album was a really slow burn for me but turned out to be an amazing listen eventually! Strongly recommend their previous album also "The Strength to Dream". And just so you know the vocallist moved on and formed a new band called "40 Watt Sun" and the tone is similar to his earlier works.

20 minutes ago, Yannis said:

Yeah time waits for no man and i can already feel the cold lingering breath of death on my neck 😭. At least i take i solace in the fact that i will have several more killer albums to jam to with you guys on board hehe. Now i imagine you guys like a row of ripped tall vikings in battle armor all the while i'm just cowering in a corner like an infant, seriously you're not old at all..on the contrary i love to converse with more mature guys, like i dont know how to explain, it's like they know what they want and have more experience in many things. And please you're triggering my cute aggression when you speak greek words..its so adorable 😖 You're kidding mee? My dad only listen to ACDC despite all my efforts to introduce him to new stuff he just says "Ai Yannis this is demonic!!" (he said this for Black Sabbath's self-titled btw can you believe the guy..)  and goes back to listening to Thunderstruck for the 146743th time... Oh i don't mind to put the title before the link, its just how i was used to posting back in the old steam group. I'm more keen on posting individual songs, because after i listen to the entire album i pick my favourite track, i hope its not troublesome. I don't blame you my boyfriend is from Spain and finds it very difficult to learn greek but i help him all i can xD

Alright now I have to ask, how old is your dad? My dad was a Bob Dylan fanatic, but he was born in 1934 so I guess that's understandable. He liked 50's do-wop music too. In his later years (1990's early 2000's) he finally branched out and discovered some "newer" classic rock from the 70's, stuff like Boston, Fleetwood Mac, Kansas, Billy Joel and Springsteen, but being an intolerant metalhead I wasn't able to really share any of that with him. Wasn't about to congratulate my old man for finally discovering some 30 year old has-been milquetoast bands. I sometimes wonder if I would have ever been able to introduce him to some better music, but he died in 2007 so we'll never know. Shit I haven't ever heard any of the AC/DC albums that came after Flick of the Switch in '83. So looks like I wouldn't even be able to get along musically with your dad either, who I suspect is probably a bit younger than me, so it's not just a generation thing. I can't imagine wanting to listen to any AC/DC album 146743 times.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

war metal band from the Ross Bay Cult school of the black arts

So says the General, so it shall be...Today it shall be WAR

Ross Bay:

Blasphemy - Fallen Angel of Doom

Blasphemy - Gods of War

Death Worship - Extermination Mass

Conqueror - War.Cult.Supremacy

Not Ross Bay, but just as fucking awesome, Diocletian (NZ) - Doom Cult

Revenge (Canada) - Strike.Smother.Dehumanize

Black Witchery (US) - Desecration of the Holy Kingdom

Black Witchery (US) - Upheaval of Satanic Might

Proclamation (Spain) - Messiah of Darkness and Impurity

Ululatum Tollunt (US) - Order of the Morningstars demo

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Alright now I have to ask, how old is your dad? My dad was a Bob Dylan fanatic, but he was born in 1934 so I guess that's understandable. He liked 50's do-wop music too. In his later years (1990's early 2000's) he finally branched out and discovered some "newer" classic rock from the 70's, stuff like Boston, Fleetwood Mac, Kansas, Billy Joel and Springsteen, but being an intolerant metalhead I wasn't able to really share any of that with him. Wasn't about to congratulate my old man for finally discovering some 30 year old has-been milquetoast bands. I sometimes wonder if I would have ever been able to introduce him to some better music, but he died in 2007 so we'll never know. Shit I haven't ever heard any of the AC/DC albums that came after Flick of the Switch in '83. So looks like I wouldn't even be able to get along musically with your dad either, who I suspect is probably a bit younger than me, so it's not just a generation thing. I can't imagine wanting to listen to any AC/DC album 146743 times.

Mines 54 but sounds like your dad's tastes were at least more complex and varied than mines 😅 I will never stop trying to initiate him to some new sounds, but i remember he liked a little bit of Iron Maiden when I madea playlist for him so there's still hope 🥲 Even though for me ACDC's songs are pretty catchy and cool to listen to, believe me after the first 10 listens I wanted to just bang my head against the wall 💀

The Haunted - Live Rounds in Tokyo (2001)

6 minutes ago, Yannis said:

Mines 54 but sounds like your dad's tastes were at least more complex and varied than mines 😅 I will never stop trying to initiate him to some new sounds, but i remember he liked a little bit of Iron Maiden when I madea playlist for him so there's still hope 🥲 Even though for me ACDC's songs are pretty catchy and cool to listen to, believe me after the first 10 listens I wanted to just bang my head against the wall 💀

Ah ah! My father used to be a house painter. He's turning 80 now.

When I started listening to hard rock in 1984, it pissed him off because he had colleagues who listened to Kiss, Led Zep' and Iron Maiden all the time on building sites.

He must have thought: "Shit! There's this crazy music everywhere!"

17 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Oh man. See that gets me excited to listen to it properly. I'm not in a position where I can listen to anything with speakers, and my headphones are... reasonable. That's usually the thing that gets the first cut when it comes to non-essential expenditures, as I just don't find myself listening to lossless or non-computer standard compressed music as often as I should. Gotta make due. It's a shame since I own so much physical media. That's more out of a paranoia that something I like might end up getting sanitized in the not too distant future. Hear me out okay. I know it's paranoid, and it has nothing to do with a political position, but if you'd have told my younger self that they'd be altering reprints of Roald Dahl and James Bond novels from their originally published text I'd have called you a liar. It's about preservation above posturing.

If you can find a way to listen to it on good speakers in a decent room, it's worth it. A good 320 mp3 should be fine unless you've got golden ears. I don't think it'll change your life or anything but it's engaging and I can't think of anything else that's quite like it.

Local storage and physical copies are where it's at. No way I can rely on constant Internet connectivity and the enduring commitment of music and book publishers to artistic freedom, not to mention the ability of libraries and schools to keep carrying "objectionable" materials. Did you see that Chechnya just banned music outside the range of 80-116 BPM? 

NP: At The Gates - With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness    ...maybe their best music, inarguably their worst mix.

6 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Nice, "Sorrow" is my favorite of theirs, great album for winter mornings.

This is favorite song of theirs...the lyrics are pulling on my heartstrings everytime I listen to it.. 

"Oh my heart...why art thee weak..how deep are thy wounds.."

7 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Local storage and physical copies are where it's at. No way I can rely on constant Internet connectivity and the enduring commitment of music and book publishers to artistic freedom, not to mention the ability of libraries and schools to keep carrying "objectionable" materials. Did you see that Chechnya just banned music outside the range of 80-116 BPM? 

Good lord. Why? Just why? I understand they've a long history of religious/cultural warfare from both in and outside their borders (primarily because I find it funny when some idiot with too much money and not enough brains decides they're going to travel through the territory of the Sunni hill tribes trying to buy an ancient jeweled dagger ostensibly from the source, and comes up missing), you have to perform some major league mental acrobatics to put into any quantifiable terms how the bpm figures into anything that makes any sense at all. Do they have a national tempo I'm unaware of? I'd love to hear the logic behind this.