What Are You Listening To?

khaos

15 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Not like that Arctopus nonsense that even Ari can't listen to.

I know, and I regret it. I thought I'd find a little something catchy, a common thread, the slightest little thing.

But nothing.

Behold the Arctopus goes off in all directions, randomly, almost like the wind.

Unbearable.

Coroner - Punishment for Decadence (1988)

4 hours ago, Arioch said:

Infectious Grooves - The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move... (1991)

IG are coming to Australia this year. Weirdly enough they are coming down for one gig at a Blues Festival. Seems like an odd fit but then half the bands on the list aren't Blues anyway. They may announce other gigs once the 'only Australian show' publicity looses some traction but at this stage it's one gig only. And they are bringing Crabman Rob with them.

On 1/30/2024 at 8:05 PM, Arioch said:

Behold... The Arctopus - Nano-Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning (2005)

Beware, you have summoned Thatguy. This happens to be the only album of theirs that I own and I'm listening now. I had forgotten about this album. It is structurally quite conventional and the musicianship is of the highest calibre. Of course the Goat-in-chief would hate this, but give it another go, Ari, you're better than that. 🙃

Nah he had it right the first time. BtA might understand songwriting better than Spawn of Possession, but that’s like saying Hungry Jack’s (Burger King for you Americans) know how to make a better burger than McDonald’s either way within an hour you’re going to regret your life choices.

NP: Evil Angel - Unholy Fight For Metal

Impalement - The Dawn of Blackened Death, Switzerland 2023

Taival - Journey to Beyond, Finland

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

the Goat-in-chief would hate this, but give it another go, Ari, you're better than that. 🙃

No he's not. He knows utter nonsense when he hears it. You heard the man, even in French BtA is unbearable nonsense.

16 hours ago, Arioch said:

I know, and I regret it. I thought I'd find a little something catchy, a common thread, the slightest little thing.

But nothing.

Behold the Arctopus goes off in all directions, randomly, almost like the wind.

Unbearable.

Coroner - Punishment for Decadence (1988)

Coroner, better than all the German thrash bands you can shake a stick at. Don't consider them technical either, they're just thrash.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Still on the black/thrash kick I see. It's been a few weeks now, good onya Vic. I knew it was only a matter of time 'til we'd win you over to the dark side. 

Hail Conjurer - Satanic Phenomenology, Finland

It’s a pretty fun album actually, I remember the hearing Midnight Assassin about a week ago. I still stand by my assessment. The band is more along the lines of Witchery then say Evil Angel but there’s nothing wrong with that.

51 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

It’s a pretty fun album actually, I remember the hearing Midnight Assassin about a week ago. I still stand by my assessment. The band is more along the lines of Witchery than say Evil Angel, but there’s nothing wrong with that.

Baby steps. He's just dipping his toes in, testing the waters. We've all gotta start somewhere. Even I, the goat filth maven started out singing along to fluffy happy Beatles songs on mom & dad's stereo when I was 8 years old. They took me to see Let it Be the movie in 1970 and that was it, all I thought about from that point on was growing my hair long and rock & roll and getting my hands on an electric guitar. And even later on in my musical journey, I was well into my 40's by the time I got into black metal. (aside from first wave, but we didn't think of or start calling that stuff 'black metal' until years after the fact) Which just goes to show, it's never too late to change course. Even for an orca in the boonies.

Evil Angel - Unholy Fight for Metal, Finnish black/thrash 2007

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

No, it's fun.

I know you've gotta do you mate, and I respect your nonconformity brah. But still I have to say you wealthy refined intellectual types have some pretty strange ideas about what's 'fun.'

Sabbat - Dreamweaver (1989)

I'm literally revelling in the Sabbat boxset released last year, which I received last week. And this morning I can't resist listening to this little gem from the late 80s.

I almost want to work on my English so that one day I can finally read The Way of the Wyrd, the novel by Brian Bates that inspired this concept album. I have the novel in ePub and in paper format too!

But unfortunately I don't have the time. Besides, I may be too old for that 😔

Thank you, DeePL, for translating my nonsense so that you can (hopefully) understand a few words of my (sometimes) lengthy ramblings.

As to the complaint about Behold...The Arctopus being random, I don't hear it that way. I'm not foolish enough to think I could possibly sway anybody's opinion on this though. Music wouldn't be a matter of taste and preference if I could. Even somebody like Schoonenberg had the twelve tone system in place as a guide to his compositions. Not that Schoonenberg comes without his share of detractors. There's something very enjoyable about B...TA that I find inviting and well worth my time. The atonal and completely alien sound is a part of it. The degree to which the notes being played are meticulously controlled to purposely avoid melody is another. It makes me really want to put them under a microscope and closely examine every detail. That's probably just my wiring though.

The Council of the Rats - Gorgons

Gorgons | The Council Of The Rats (bandcamp.com)

a1633968015_10.jpg

Band name caught my eye. They seem to only have the one demo that came out a month ago. Still it's contents is more than enough to get a place on my 'bands to look out for' pile. Blackened death.