What Are You Listening To?

khaos

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

HELLISH FORMMMXX. The best of today so far.

Pulled this up on Youtube. Disappointing to put it mildly. After a few minutes I boosted the playback speed to 1.5 x normal and it was still much too painfully slow funeral doom, which was mostly just some dude playing with feeback more than there was any actual music being played. Even my dumb ass could pick up a guitar learn two open chords and amuse myself by making cool noises with feedback through high gain amps for 40 minutes, but I'm not dumb enough to think anyone else would want to listen to that. C'mon Doc buddy, do better man. 

Baxaxaxa - De Vermis Mysteriis, Germany. With every release I hope they're gonna go back to the style from the 2019 demo, and I guess by now it's become clear that's not the plan. Still pretty good shit and I know I'll end up buying it, but that demo was the fucking best.

Satanize – Baphomet Altar Worship, Portuguese war metal 2021

49 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'm not dumb enough to think anyone else would want to listen to that.

It starts slow and thin. It remains slow but a lot more happens and there is a lot of texture. You have to be a bit patient sometimes. Civilisation is built on the deferment of satisfaction.

27 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

We all know I’m a devotee of Funeral Doom but GG i’m with you want this one

As above.

11 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It starts slow and thin. It remains slow but a lot more happens and there is a lot of texture. You have to be a bit patient sometimes. Civilisation is built on the deferment of satisfaction.

As above.

Mate your taste is yours, and this is no criticism, but in this one instance the guy who praises Skepticism, Moss, Monolithe, and Fungoid Stream among many others simply is not feeling it.

47 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

OWLGrid Shimmer. Probably no one like OWL either. 🙄

At least this one is actual music. Too early to pass judgement but it sounded pretty cool....for about 5 minutes until the clean vocals came in on track 2. If they're just a quick thing on this one track I might be able to overlook them. But if these vox persist I'm probably going to bail.

OK I'm halfway through this Grid Shimmy now. What are you thinking man, this sucks. Musically it was reasonably tolerable but the vocals completely ruined it for me. That was a bloody waste of 26 minutes.

I know some people do like really slow music like your darlings the Hellish Farmboys, but 4 beats per minute is pushing it a bit too far for most of us. And I've heard rumors that apparently there are some people who do enjoy a genre called 'noise,' but I'm definitely not one of them. I dig guitar feedback as much as anyone but at the end of the day I'm looking for riffs. I'm sure some forward thinking people probably think riffs are so very 20th century and quite passé, but I'm a dinosaur who still prefers his metal with some nasty riffs. I listened to that shit for awhile too, I was past the halfway point. But there was nothing happening, and that's at 1.5 x speed. At normal speed I don't think I would have been able to stay awake due to the overwhelming boredom of waiting for the next note to drop.

NP: KYY : Apotheosis - The Light of All Lights, Finland. This is more like it. 

11 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You're the big thrash guy, you don't like that Demo Hammer album? You posted it after all, so we assumed that meant you probably liked it. Desert Island disc means it's one of his all-time favorites. I like it too although it wouldn't make my personal desert island cut. Might make make my top 10 thrash albums of the 20th century list if I were to make one.

Oh my bad! For me, "album desert" means desert, nothingness, nothing.

That's an expression I hadn't understood in the right sense, my apologies!

11 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I get confused with so many bands having similar names. This band was 'Merciless' until 1991 then changed spelling to Mercyless. I know the Swedish Merciless, but I'd never heard this before, thrashy French death metal, this is killer stuff.

I'd recommend listening to their debut album, Abject Offerings.

It's an album I have on CD, but like so many others it's out of reach. I can't wait to get my hands on it again!

Edit : Having just learned that Mercyless had a page on Bandcamp, I couldn't resist: I bought the complete discography available, i.e. the 6 albums on their Bandcamp!

Mercyless's Bandcamp

9 hours ago, Arioch said:

Oh my bad! For me, "album desert" means desert, nothingness, nothing.

That's an expression I hadn't understood in the right sense, my apologies!

I'd recommend listening to their debut album, Abject Offerings.

I figured as much by your response that you just weren't familiar with his desert island reference. It's just this thing we English speakers do where we'll ask the question: "Si vous étiez bloqué sur une île déserte, quels 10 albums emporteriez-vous?" which makes little sense because how would any of us know that we were going to be marooned on a desert island, or on a jungle island or on any type of island beforehand? Are you just going to carry these 10 albums around with you at all times just in case? In my experience people don't often voluntarily decide they'd like to be abandoned on a desert island and left to fend for themselves with only 10 albums and the clothes on their back. I'm sure a lighter, a Swiss Army knife, a saw and a couple jugs of water would be much more practical. A nice new tarp would certainly come in handy. Also salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper at a bare minimum. A bowl and a spoon, maybe a pot to cook in. It'd probably be best if the island just had a hotel.

NP: Signs of the Dying Summer - Promenada Ciszy, Poland

Verhinderer - Der Kettenritter, Germany

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

I'm on a mission from satan to ruin as many days as possible.

And I'm about to go out for a run during which I shall listen to the rest of my new main men WALK THROUGH FIRE - Performing the music of Arvo Pärt

Cthulhu has asked me to remind your pal Lucifer he still owes the Great Old One 16 souls, 4 shrines, 2 zealots and a Platypus, apparently Cthulhu did Satan eight fairly large fever couple of millennia ago.

NP Thergothon - Streams From the Heavens

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I'm on a mission from satan to ruin as many days as possible.

And I'm about to go out for a run during which I shall listen to the rest of my new main men WALK THROUGH FIRE - Performing the music of Arvo Pärt

I absolutely adore Arvo Part. His acapella choral compositions are my favorite. Wonderful music for wandering alone on a chilly night not sure and not really caring whether you're lost or not.

NP: Lantern - Below

Below | Lantern | Dark Descent Records (bandcamp.com)

a2416235320_10.jpg

It's surprising how many times I've come back to this album in particular over the years. There's probably many death metal albums that have passed me by and been forgotten from this time (2013), but not this one. There's just something weirdly distinct about it that makes me return after a while.