What Are You Listening To?

khaos

18 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

He looks like the north end of a south facing goat

So you're saying he's totally hawt?  😍

I'll check the new album out at some stage.

GBH - City Baby Attacked By Rats

Incantation - Diabolical Summoning.

Sad, these guys are playing in ye olde Hobart town but can't go as wife is away at a conference and I am on dad duty.

RelentlessOblivion’s Top 200 Bands according to him:

197: Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill

pure, nostalgia call that’s all this one is for me, the band which first got me into metal had to make my list, but I can’t put them any higher.

196. Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium

I always felt this much more interesting than direction they would take afterwards

195. Ulver - Bergtat

and I can’t place any higher, because this is the only album of theirs I really enjoy

16 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

RelentlessOblivion’s Top 200 Bands according to him:

Already a better list than the other 2. Crack on.

ÆVANGELIST - Harmony of the Sinister. Very much Thatguy approved. Murky dark lovely. Plenty of music here, Orca. It's just not thrash.

NOIRCURE - Kyrie. Not as gazey as Pathos.

GG top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

18. Necros Christos - Trivne Impvrity Rites, occult death metal from Berlin Germany. (698) While this is an unbelievably great album, (easily top 10 for the decade of the 2000's maybe top 5) this band wouldn't be quite so high on my list if they didn't put so many damn tracks on their albums. Every song has a short 1 to 2 minute instrumental guitar interlude wedged in before and after, so the first two full lengths have 23 tracks each, and their 3rd was a triple album with 27 tracks on it. I like the interludes while I'm listening to it, but it does run up the play counts. Shame they broke up, but I guess they felt like they'd said what they'd needed to say musically and then moved on. I wish more legacy bands would take a hint and know when it's time to call it a day and move on to their next projects.

17. Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence, blackened death metal from Sweden (701) Don't listen to these guys as often as I used to anymore, but they still get a look every now and then. Thanks to CBS for taking Darkside and leaving this one for me. This is one of my top 20 metal albums of all time, absolutely unfuckwithable. They only had that one bad album in 2013, all the rest are solid slabs of blackened death. A straight 50/50 mix of black and death as I hear it, as opposed to Dissection which I'd say leans 60/40 black. Gonna have to call these dudes my 2nd favorite Swedeath band. Being right down front for their first ever US show at MDF in 2010 was cool as shit, even though it was hot as hell under the midday sun for their ridiculous 12:30 time slot and they must have been dying in their leather outfits even though they were sleeveless.

Was wondering when Necrophobic would come up in your list.  That's a solid album.

As for Dissection, I've always thought they were 100% melodic black metal.  I really don't hear any death metal in there unlike say Angelcorpse or Behemoth or indeed Necrophobic.

Sadistik Exekution - We Are Death...Fukk You!

Australia's original metal psychopaths.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Already a better list than the other 2. Crack on.

ÆVANGELIST - Harmony of the Sinister. Very much Thatguy approved. Murky dark lovely. Plenty of music here, Orca. It's just not thrash.

NOIRCURE - Kyrie. Not as gazey as Pathos.

Still pretty gazey. Not post-metal, but maybe even worse than that.

The Aevangelist was reasonably a-ight though. Not sure why it took them 61 minutes to make their point, they didn't have nearly enough twists and turns to fully flesh out 61 minutes so it dragged a little at times. A little dissonant for me too but within reasonable levels, I mean I wouldn't jump out of a moving car to avoid hearing it if you popped it on for the ride back to the the Docarooni compound from the airport.

I'm willing to call Blivvington's list good already 9 albums in just because he's got a Finnish band on there at #192 and I always liked that album back in the day. Also he's got Shades of God on there, one of my top 3 or maybe top 5 metal albums of all time, although I've no idea why he'd rank it so low. Can't really knock his list as I've owned all of those 9 albums on there so far at one time or another except of course for the one.

47 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

As for Dissection, I've always thought they were 100% melodic black metal.  I really don't hear any death metal in there unlike say Angelcorpse or Behemoth or indeed Necrophobic.

Sadistik Exekution - We Are Death...Fukk You!

Australia's original metal psychopaths.

The thing about Behemoth is they have two distinct phases, and what they are now is a far cry from where they started out. I'd be hard pressed to say they've got any black metal in them at all from Zos Kia Kultus onward, although I suppose I haven't heard Satanica. If you can find it The Metal Mind Years box set is more than worth spending a winter's evening with.

All I've heard from Sadistik Exekution is The Magus (which I'm guessing isn't named for the John Fowles novel), but that is a damn good album even if it sounds like it was recorded by a drunk mountain lion inside a cardboard box.

NP: Crimson Relic - Purgatory's Reign

▶︎ Purgatory's Reign | Crimson Relic | BlackSeed Productions (bandcamp.com)

a3286278960_10.jpg

Not going to lie it was the gorgeous cover art that got me to click on it. The red and black balanced over those marble like greens and greys is excellent. The music is really pretty good. For 1996 I suppose I should have been expecting those bouncy rhythms and riffs, but despite the no frills simplicity it's actually a fairly dynamic album. Always nice to find supposed classics I'd never even heard of. Apparently it's just been released on vinyl this year. I'm going to have to dig into their catalogue and see what they've got. If it's on itunes it would certainly be a worthy addition for me.

GG top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

16. Blasphemophagher - For Chaos, Obscurity and Desolation, Italy (716) Sick fucking album from a sick band, just go get it, such a shame they quit after just 3 killer albums. They've been "on hold" for 11 years now. Top war metal band of all time if you ask me, which I'm sure you didn't. (unless you consider Archgoat to be war metal and then they'd have to be at the top of the food chain) The drummer here also plays guitar in Baphomet's Blood which is essentially the Italian Motorhead, who are really fucking good too if you're into blackened speed metal, which of course I am.

15. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (725) There's not much I'll go all the way back this far 50 fucking years to 1973 for, but Sabbath has never left the regular rotation all these years. Their first 10 albums are iconic and still get airtime here. Don't play them weekly, but certainly a couple times a month anyway.  I must've posted my favorite, Sabotage on here at least 50 different times so I'll go with this one for a change here cuz it was sounding pretty damn good to me the other night.

15 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

The thing about Behemoth is they have two distinct phases, and what they are now is a far cry from where they started out. I'd be hard pressed to say they've got any black metal in them at all from Zos Kia Kultus onward, although I suppose I haven't heard Satanica. If you can find it The Metal Mind Years box set is more than worth spending a winter's evening with.

I totally agree that they went pretty much full DM from Zos Kia Kultus though I do hear some elements of black metal in their modern stuff.

All I've heard from Sadistik Exekution is The Magus (which I'm guessing isn't named for the John Fowles novel), but that is a damn good album even if it sounds like it was recorded by a drunk mountain lion inside a cardboard box.

I think that's part of the appeal!  

I'll check out that Purgatory's Reign album just after I've finished listening to:

Lycanthrophy - On The Verge Of Apocalypse

Pretty tasty and riffy grindcore.

28 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

All I've heard from Sadistik Exekution is The Magus (which I'm guessing isn't named for the John Fowles novel), but that is a damn good album even if it sounds like it was recorded by a drunk mountain lion inside a cardboard box

I'd say Behemoth has three distinct phases. Their first black metal phase, the middle death metal or blackened death metal phase and then their post-leukemia more commercial period they're in now which began with the Satanist. Or maybe they're just "maturing" or something. But I could be nitpicking.

When drinking to get drunk, what is the mountain lions' usual bevvie of choice?

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

Dissection are different breed of blackened death metal, because they are from the swedish Cothenburg scene which is more melodic. The are closer to At the gates and Necrophobic than Angelcorpse, Blasphemy etc. Jon Nödtveidt said in the first interview that they play death metal.

Watain sounds also similar to Dissection which I think is the reason they are called nowadays melodic black metal.

--

GG keeps killing the list. I have that 3-hour long Necros Christos album. Sound is awesome, but damn it's long. Lot to chew on.

---

Gorephilia - Severed monolith

Childhood friend on vox on this one.

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

Imagine how shitacular my list of 200 bands I listen to a lot would be - Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Lamb of God, Anthrax etc!

All you guys would probably abandon the forum.

Don't leave out Pantera.

PPfffttt dude you should have seen how much they cried and carried on that time you deactivated your account and quit for a few months. Oh my fucking god, all the teary-eyed heartfelt pleas for your safe return and all would be forgiven, things will be different this time and I take back all that shit I said about you...blah blah blah. After about two months of your absence the way they carried on you would have thought these dudes had lost a dear family member or broken up with their girlfriends or something, not just lost track of some Tassie Pantera fan they knew casually from an internet forum.

8 minutes ago, CumBloodSucker said:

Dissection are different breed of blackened death metal, because they are from the swedish Cothenburg scene which is more melodic. The are closer to At the gates and Necrophobic than Angelcorpse, Blasphemy etc. Jon Nödtveidt said in the first interview that they play death metal.

Watain sounds also similar to Dissection which I think is the reason they are called nowadays melodic black metal.

Early At The Gates as well as early Opeth are also closer to Black Metal but IMO not as much as Dissection.

And to be honest I can't stand early Opeth and ATG and can't stand Dissection at all - too melodic BM.   IMO both Opeth and ATG got much better when they incorporated more actual death and thrash metal respectively.

As for Jon Nodtveidt, I think he was rather confused!  :D  I mean Metallica claimed to play Power Metal back in 1981-82, Pantera as Power Groove in the 1990s and Napalm Death referred to themselves as thrash in the 1980s (kid you not)!

10 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Don't leave out Pantera.

PPfffttt dude you should have seen how much they cried and carried on that time you deactivated your account and quit for a few months. Oh my fucking god, all the teary-eyed heartfelt pleas for your safe return and all would be forgiven, things will be different this time and I take back all that shit I said about you...blah blah blah. After about two months of your absence the way they carried on you would have thought these dudes had lost a dear family member or broken up with their girlfriends or something, not just lost track of some Tassie Pantera fan they knew casually from an internet forum.

I still miss sparing with that latte leftie, Carlo Marrickvillian (who I always got the feeling was an indie rocker with a tangential interest in metal).  

28 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

When drinking to get drunk, what is the mountain lions' usual bevvie of choice?

Given the mythology of Sadistik Exekution I suspect it was some sort of moonshine made of battery acid, antifreeze and human piss.

4 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Early At The Gates as well as early Opeth are also closer to Black Metal but IMO not as much as Dissection.

And to be honest I can't stand early Opeth and ATG and can't stand Dissection at all - too melodic BM.   IMO both Opeth and ATG got much better when they incorporated more actual death and thrash metal respectively.

As for Jon Nodtveidt, I think he was rather confused!  :D  I mean Metallica claimed to play Power Metal back in 1981-82, Pantera as Power Groove in the 1990s and Napalm Death referred to themselves as thrash in the 1980s (kid you not)!

We didn't know what to call anything back then in the early 80's man. Thrash wasn't known as thrash yet right from the very beginning, everything was still just being called heavy metal back then, up until at least '83. They tried out both power metal and power thrash briefly as sub-genre names, because that was the point at which suddenly it became apparent we needed labels to differentiate the newer heavier stuff that was coming out from the poppier hair and traditional metal bands we already had. But no one had been prepared for this or had thought about sub-genre names we never knew we'd need because heavy metal itself had ony been in existence for about 4 years in '83. Power metal hadn't been spoken for yet at the time so they tried it out for a short while (because the word power seemed to make sense for this new heavier strain of music) and then I even heard "power thrash" spoken once or twice, but ultimately "thrash" just kind of won out by popular demand (as we all now know) and power metal was back up for grabs again.

Then what happened was anything heavier than like Maiden, Dokken, or Manowar became known as "thrash metal" and it took a few years to sort out all the different sub-genres of extreme metal and what they'd be called. So a heavy band like Napalm Death who were putting out demos as early as 1982 and were obviously much heavier than Maiden or Dio would have absoutely been called "thrash metal" circa like '83 or '84, maybe even into '85 - until we had enough thrash bands on the scene to where we could say "ok this shit over here is thrash, and that shit there's something else." Don't know exactly when the term 'death metal' was coined but I don't think I ever heard it until a few years later in the decade. I definitely heard the term "black metal" being used before I heard anyone say "death metal."

6 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

We didn't know what to call anything back then in the early 80's man. Thrash wasn't known as thrash yet right from the very beginning, everything was still just being called heavy metal back then, up until at least '83. They tried out both power metal and power thrash briefly as sub-genre names, because that was the point at which suddenly it became apparent we needed labels to differentiate the newer heavier stuff that was coming out from the poppier hair and traditional metal bands we already had. But no one had been prepared for this or had thought about sub-genre names we never knew we'd need because heavy metal itself had ony been in existence for about 4 years in '83. Power metal hadn't been spoken for yet at the time so they tried it out for a short while (because the word power seemed to make sense for this new heavier strain of music) and then I even heard "power thrash" spoken once or twice, but ultimately "thrash" just kind of won out by popular demand (as we all now know) and power metal was back up for grabs again.

Then what happened was anything heavier than like Maiden, Dokken, or Manowar became known as "thrash metal" and it took a few years to sort out all the different sub-genres of extreme metal and what they'd be called. So a heavy band like Napalm Death who were putting out demos as early as 1982 and were obviously much heavier than Maiden or Dio would have absoutely been called "thrash metal" circa like '83 or '84, maybe even into '85 - until we had enough thrash bands on the scene to where we could say "ok this shit over here is thrash, and that shit there's something else." Don't know exactly when the term 'death metal' was coined but I don't think I ever heard it until a few years later in the decade. I definitely heard the term "black metal" being used before I heard anyone say "death metal."

I suspect that’s probably because black metal had evolved first, Hellhammer/CF, MF, Venom, and Bathory had been doing that thing for a while before Possessed and Death came along, and because the former band shared some similarities, and the latter bands had similarities with each other. We needed different labels to differentiate. The two sounds of extreme metal? Obviously I wasn’t around at the time, so I don’t have historical context that you do.

2 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

NP: Crimson Relic - Purgatory's Reign

▶︎ Purgatory's Reign | Crimson Relic | BlackSeed Productions (bandcamp.com)

a3286278960_10.jpg

Not going to lie it was the gorgeous cover art that got me to click on it. The red and black balanced over those marble like greens and greys is excellent. The music is really pretty good. For 1996 I suppose I should have been expecting those bouncy rhythms and riffs, but despite the no frills simplicity it's actually a fairly dynamic album. Always nice to find supposed classics I'd never even heard of. Apparently it's just been released on vinyl this year. I'm going to have to dig into their catalogue and see what they've got. If it's on itunes it would certainly be a worthy addition for me.

Ok this album fucking rocks!  My kind of DM.

Definitely one I need to pick up a physical copy of.

42 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

We didn't know what to call anything back then in the early 80's man.

Actually even in late 1980s labels were somewhat interchangeable though by 1988-89 things had somewhat solidified.

30 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Obviously I wasn’t around at the time, so I don’t have historical context that you do.

Neither was I but I've always been reading a lot.

And this book is an amazing snapshot of metal evolution.  It's literally a compilation of all the issues of the infamous Slayer fanzine from 1980s to 2000s.  The articles are all mainly interviews with bands at the time.

The writer, Jon "Metalion" Kristiansen, was an early pioneer in covering extreme metal. 

You'll see Slayer mag or Metalion thanked in quite a few inlay cards from back in the day.

He was also friends with Euronymous and the Norwegian scene (and notably Rokk from Sadistik Exekution who designed the logo).  

https://www.bazillionpoints.com/books/metalion-the-slayer-mag-diaries-by-jon-metalion-kristiansen/

NP Grave Desecrator - Sign Of Doom