What Are You Listening To?

khaos

7 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

My mother-in-law (whom I haven't spoken to in a few years now) once lived in Castle Hill, moved to Olympic Park and then back to Castle Hill again. I believe she pronounced Castle as carstle, not the Yankee way, (same A sound as apple) but the thing is she's actually a Kiwi ex-pat so I don't know if she was copying the Aussie way she'd been hearing or saying it the Kiwi way she had always been used to, or if both countries tend to say it the same way.

I've had a hell of a time trying to figure out which way the A's in various words will be pronounced down there as there doesn't seem to be any rules or reason for which ones will be said which way. Other strange vowel sounds don't bother me so much like the way Kiwis will say head as "heed" and ten as "teen" and then turn around and say "fush and chups" while the Aussies say "feesh & cheeps."

Funny though how when you hear a word said a different way than you've always said it, it doesn't take as long as I might've thought to get used to hearing it the different way. Case in point: in NY we say tuh-MAY-duh while the Brits & Commonwealthers say tuh-MAH-toe. I really hated it with the ah sound and the second hard T at first, but now I find myself saying it the Commonwealther way more often that not.

What I found harder to get used to was how they'll often put the emphasis on different syllables than we do here. Con-TRIB-yute becomes CON-trib-yute.

American vs British vs Australia, Castle is at 42 seconds. Can't believe they left out garage. But just today I've learned that both countries add an extra syllable to airplane "aeroplane" which I'd never really noticed before. 

I lived in Castle Hill too, (NSW's Castle Hill). But as a Mexican I just stopped referring to where I was living because I could never get it right. 20+ years on and I still don't know for sure which way I'm supposed to say it.

NP: Hellish - Dance of the Four Elemental Serpents

▶︎ The Dance Of The Four Elemental Serpents | Hellish | Unspeakable Axe Records (bandcamp.com)

a3973955603_10.jpg

Good stuff. I do enjoy some thrash slightly blackened. Maybe not a complete charr like Angelcorpse, but still present enough to leave me feeling pleasantly misanthropic. Plus the egyptian looking stuff might actually be Hindi themed on closer examination, which is a branch of mythology that really needs to catch on in metal. Musically it'd allow you to still play those warped and weird scales without constantly falling back on the phrygian stuff that's almost become a cliche since Nile.

4 hours ago, JamesT said:

I wanted to get your opinion on the Immortal album "Sons of Northern Darkness" and Emperor's "In the Nightside Eclipse".  Would you say those are essential listening?

You're asking the wrong guy. But in a word, no, Immortal and Emperor are not bands I listen to very much. I will throw on an Immortal album I guess every now and then, maybe once a year I'll click play on an Immortal album, Battles in the North or Pure Holocaust, or maybe At the Heart of Winter, so in theory I like them but I almost never listen to them and would not consider them to be an essential part of my collection. The only really well known early 90's back metal band I listen to regularly is Darkthrone. My tastes run to the more riffy, punky, raw and caustic black metal, sometimes known as Norsecore, and I aslo spend a fair amount of time in the war metal wing of the black metal mansion. I spend a lot of time hunting for new black metal and I listen to a lot of different bands, I'm not focused on a handful of tried and true favorite bands. Generally speaking I hold the Finnish bands in the highest esteem. To me that's the ultimate black metal sound. You might like Sons of Northern Darkness though, that's one of the most commercial and accessible black metal albums I can think of for people who don't really like black metal.

As it happens JT I just made and posted my Top 200 black metal abums of all time list 2 months ago. It was supposed to be a top 100 but I have problems self editing. I jut put them in chronological order. My list is the 5th post down on page 4, this link should take you right to it. Because it's just easier to show you. I would consider every one of these 200 albums essential listening. There's nothing from Immortal or Emperor.

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Americans pronounce oral & aural the same, aura with an L, and now I'm wracking my brain trying to guess which one of those words you silly Ockers would pronounce differently, and how exactly?

Aural - relating to the ear - auraL (or or as in or). Oral - relating to the mouth o (as in hot) -ral. Two words, two meanings, two pronunciations.

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Progressive post-black is as far as I'll go

I agree post = not at all, so fuck that.

Ask the Watcher.

NP - ENOID - Ô nuit, emport-moi

3 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

I lived in Castle Hill too, (NSW's Castle Hill). But as a Mexican I just stopped referring to where I was living because I could never get it right. 20+ years on and I still don't know for sure which way I'm supposed to say it.

Its castle as in arsehole. Because it is the arsehole of Sydney.

15 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Aural - relating to the ear - auraL (or or as in or). Oral - relating to the mouth o (as in hot) -ral. Two words, two meanings, two pronunciations.

I bet your patients are glad you can tell the difference between the two words.

16 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

No idea how you get your castle and your arsehole so close together. But arsehole of Sydney? Holy shit, not even close. There was heaps worse areas of Sydney when I was there. Fairfield, Parra, Bankstown, Baulkham Hills. Don't know how they've faired in the last 25 years but I'm starting to think you can't tell the difference between your arsehole and breakfast time.

34 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I agree post = not at all, so fuck that.

Ask the Watcher.

NP - ENOID - Ô nuit, emport-moi

OK, but I don't know how Aussies pronounce "hot." I know how I pronounce the o in hot, and that's definitely not how I pronounce oral. Or, oral. Homophones, two words, two spellings, two meanings, same pronunciation. Like here/hear, bear/bare, sell/cell, know/no. Oral/aural.

Wish you hadn't have said that about Carstle Hill being the asshole of Sydney. Now you've got me wondering if my M-i-L takes it up the butt. (she's only 4 years older than me so she's your age) But yeah we went shopping in some mall up there in Carstle Hill one day and it was pretty much the assholiest pace they dragged me to that whole month. But then I detest malls to begin with. Not to mention my wife spit the dummy that day and went walkabout at said mall, her mum had to go looking for her and talk her down while the mum's little turd of a boyfriend and I stood around with our thumbs up our asses talking shit about them. But I suppose that's what I get for marrying a Millennial amIrite?

15 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I bet your patients are glad you can tell the difference between the two words.

No idea how you get your castle and your arsehole so close together. But arsehole of Sydney? Holy shit, not even close. There was heaps worse areas of Sydney when I was there. Fairfield, Parra, Bankstown, Baulkham Hills. Don't know how they've faired in the last 25 years but I'm starting to think you can't tell the difference between your arsehole and breakfast time.

Notice how he had to slip in Parrramatta hahaha.

2 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Parramatta is like Dandenong in Victoria, you can't deny it's the slums so why bother.

Yeah but to you country folk any reasonably populated town with a bunch of tall buildings is a slum.

Parramatta - The Skyscraper Center

I remember looking at that big clump of tall buildings out the 19th floor balcony of mum's Olympic Park high-rise about 5 miles off in the opposite direction from Sydney's CBD and being told that was Paramatta. We went there one day for something too but I don't remember much about it. I mostly remember taking the baby for walks in the stroller down to the playground by the big fountain at Olympic Park just to get out of the apartment so the chicks could talk even though it was hot as fuck outside. 

Stage 3 Excursion to Sydney Olympic Park — Ebenezer Christian College

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

Parramatta is no better, the only people who think it is are people from there.

The only good thing about Parramatta is the football team. I grew up in many places, but the longest was in Ermington - this was a tributary slum of Parramatta. A place to leave, which I did as soon as I was able. Being a Westie does not mean that I love it or that I would want to live there. My residual Westie-ness is the team and the inclination to think and to say fuck youse all at regular intervals.

Castle Hill is not the worst place in Sydney, but it is a shit hole none-the-less.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

OK, but I don't know how Aussies pronounce "hot."

Fair enough. I guess Yanks don't know their ears from their arseholes - I mean mouths - either. I should think the other Aussies here could back me up or maybe this is a medical thing only. The o in oral is a short o as in hot, cot, sot, bot, snot, grot. The au in aural is a sound as in aura, flora, Dora the Explorer, door even ( if yer not Scottish), flora, sore, spore. 

I guess you had to be there.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

The o in oral is a short o as in hot, cot, sot, bot, snot, grot. 

No. It's not a short O here in the states, it's always a long O. Like or, more, bore, snore, shut the door. I can't decide if you're having a go at me or not because I'm really having trouble even imagining anyone saying "oral" with a short O the way you've described. But I'm sure there are plenty of words we say differently in our two countries that I've just never noticed before. I only had questions about how Australians might say "hot" because up in Boston they say hot like hawt, or maybe "hwot" better describes how they say it. And they drop all their R's just like all you people do down there. My wife always said Boston was the closest the US has to a Kiwi acent. But I guess we New Yorkers drop a lot of our R's too. You have to understand Doc that us New Yorkers don't speak like the rest of America, but the way we speak sounds completely normal to us and we can't really hear ourselves the way others hear us.

How to Pronounce Oral (7 Real Life Examples so you don't think I'm just making this up)

"Speak with a New York Accent" This guy explains how New Yorkers mangle the English language better than I can. Especialy our A's, O's and U's. I probably pronounnce "oral" as "aw-rul"

NP: Earth Reaper - Wallowing

▶︎ EARTH REAPER | WALLOWING (bandcamp.com)

a3861194212_10.jpg

Alright, this has got to be one of those albums that reviewers don't quite know what to make of so they throw whatever metal genre they think might fit in the description and hope it gives readers the general idea. First off, the whole concept album thing does tend to impress. I fall into that trap myself sometimes (It took me so long to admit to myself that Cyban prog album was just a mess. A beautiful proggy mess, but a mess nonetheless). Sci-fi dystopian concept albums are rarely the domain of suffocating sludge since it can be difficult to really infuse any kind of dynamic textures with no keyboards, orchestration, or tonal range detectable by anything above the bowels, but, in a weird way, that's what makes the album work. The focus isn't the storytelling, though we have that in spades, or atmosphere. Both those come after one single priority has been secured: Make sure it's heavy, and in that it's undoubtedly successful. A sludge album has to really do something special to jump the line ahead of the hundreds of doom albums I haven't listened to yet this year, and this does that. That's not to say it's all trudge and muck either. Various sections open up suddenly and swallow you beneath the bog you thought was safe. It's more mature than most sludge to, expertly pacing itself throughout. Truthfully I could do without the two intro tracks, but we've been through this before and they keep them mercifully short at thirty seconds a piece. Definitely a worthy contender for my year end list if it keeps it's value on replay. Time will tell. The last time a sludge album made my year end was Lair of the Minotaur's The Ultimate Destroyer, so, given my aversion to the genre, if you're at all a fan of sludge, make this one a priority.

Oh, and passing by the subject of accents and pronunciation, most people have probably seen this by now, but just in case somebody hasn't there's this lady who does a ton of accents with the purpose of showing people how their accent may sound to others. She's actually just speaking gibberish, but with the syllabics and cadence typifying the language she's imitating. It's so surreal having your own first language-ish accent dropped into the middle of so many different ones at high speed. Obviously I'm not an expert in linguistics and dialects, so for most of it I identify only that another language is being spoken and then when it hits U.S. English about two thirds of the way through it's like my brain suddenly overclocks itself recognizing it as English, but stretching to pull words from it like people speaking in another room.

9 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

No. It's not a short O here in the states, it's always a long O. Like or, more, bore, snore, shut the door. I can't decide if you're having a go at me or not because I'm really having trouble even imagining anyone saying "oral" with a short O the way you've described. But I'm sure there are plenty of words we say differently in our two countries that I've just never noticed before. I only had questions about how Australians might say "hot" because up in Boston they say hot like hawt, or maybe "hwot" better describes how they say it. And they drop all their R's just like all you people do down there. My wife always said Boston was the closest the US has to a Kiwi acent. But I guess we New Yorkers drop a lot of our R's too. You have to understand Doc that us New Yorkers don't speak like the rest of America, but the way we speak sounds completely normal to us and we can't really hear ourselves the way others hear us.

Oral and aural are definitely pronounced differently here but I have no idea what the hell Doc is talking about and the sounds he is making. My wife speaks Western Australian, but even that's easier to understand than what Doc is typing. Perhaps is like the saying goes, "it looses something in translation".

9 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

No. It's not a short O here in the states, it's always a long O. Like or, more, bore, snore, shut the door. I can't decide if you're having a go at me or not because I'm really having trouble even imagining anyone saying "oral" with a short O the way you've described.

There's yer problem. And after I wrote my very clear explanation I realised that US English pronounces all my examples differently than we do. I am not having a go at you or even having a lend of you. But I can't explain it any clearer and we will have to leave it at that. And it doesn't matter anyway

7 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I have no idea what the hell Doc is talking about

I re-iterate,I can't explain it any clearer. Mate.

7 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

most people have probably seen this by now, but just in case somebody hasn't

I hadn't seen it. That was a bit of very clever fun. 

7 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

There's yer problem. And after I wrote my very clear explanation I realised that US English pronounces all my examples differently than we do. I am not having a go at you or even having a lend of you. But I can't explain it any clearer and we will have to leave it at that. And it doesn't matter anyway.

Of course it doesn't matter mate, nothing I go on about here matters in the overall scheme of things, I'm just killing time here till the grim reaper comes for me. I do happen to find all the linguistic differences between the various different English speaking countries quite fascinating so when these things come up it's something I like to talk about with all you Aussie blokes who probably all have hilariously funny accents each and every last one of you but I wouldn't have any idea about that because of course we're just typing. I did in fact mean having a lend of me when I said having a go at me, we just don't use that expression over here so in the future when I say having a go at me that's all I mean is that you're pulling my leg or putting me on as we say. Taking the piss maybe.

But I mean all of us descended from people who descended from people somewhere in the British Isles or at least the languages we speak evolved from what was spoken somewhere in the British Isles a few hundred years ago and I just find it so interesting how every country's dialects went off in such completely different directions. I watch a lot of videos about the different American English dialects (dialects is probably the wrong word, it's mainly just different pronunciations you'll typically hear in different parts of our country) and lots of info on British Engish and even Scots and Irish English. But for some reason you can't find too many videos about how Aussie English evolved, all you can find are people talking about the different slang words that are used in our different countries but never anything about how your distinct vowel sounds and what not came to be. Because at the end of the day it's about the vowel sounds innit? So without ever having stepped foot in the UK I've learned for instance what a Cockney accent sounds like, and a Liverpudlian accent, and a Brummie accent, and a Geordie accent, and a Nottingham accent sounds like...but no one ever talks about if the banana benders up in Brizzy have a different regional accent than Sydneyites or Canberrans, or Melbournians or Perthers or Adelaidians or them Tasmanians do. I know I've heard a wide variety of Aussie accents in the media over the years but I can't match the accent to the region. Or maybe it's just a socio-economic counntry/city thing.

Quite a bit of our accent comes from where we grew up, but that in turn comes from the regions our ancestors came from. I know that sounds pretty obvious, but when you break down a city like Melbourne, the Greeks and the Italians have heavily populated the north/northwestern suburbs. The Asian (most except Chinese) have populated the south eastern. The Chinese the inner city. (Of course there is exceptions, but majority numbers have pretty much always been like that since the 70's). But one can't escape the Pom/English migration which for many years, and through the early years was the majority of people. So what we seem to get is pockets of slightly changed English based upon the areas it's spoken, but at some point someone will always claim each one is a Melbourne accent.

There are places where there is a Sydney dialect, or a Melbourne dialect, or the most distinguishable of all the Perth accent, but they often aren't heard but people overseas. For instance my wife's accent is Perth through and through and it more closely sounds like a lower class English accent rather than an Australia accent, but you still can't mask the Aussie in it. Then to make it even stranger she is part Scottish and part Chinese so how the fuck she sounds like a Pom is anyone's guess.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

but no one ever talks about if the banana benders up in Brizzy have a different regional accent than Sydneyites or Canberrans, or Melbournians or Perthers or Adelaidians or them Tasmanians do. I know I've heard a wide variety of Aussie accents in the media over the years but I can't match the accent to the region. Or maybe it's just a socio-economic counntry/city thing.

There are indeed regional accents, and there are differences between city and country in all regions and socio-economic variants. It's true as the Orca says that different ethnic communities have accent variations even after being here for generations. Then, of course, there are the various Englishes of the indigenous community.

There was an old Sydney accent that is almost extinct. My wife's grandmother spoke it and my wife's dad speaks a version of it much modified by his many years in Tasmania. I am very familiar with the Tasmanian accent and my brothers in law are expert exponents of it.

I'm not a linguist and I can't explain the variations - I can't even explain how aural and oral differ apparently - but you know them when you hear them.

28 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I can't even explain how aural and oral differ apparently

No wonder you had to retire.

I do know what you mean with these two words but I'm not going to try and explain it in any more detail than they are different and should be pronounced different. I don't think I've heard anyone here pronounce them the same.