Saracen - Heroes, Saints & Fools - NWOBHM Legends?

Well, allow me to be first, if I may, since NWOBHM seems somewhat neglected.  

Saracen, while also being from Matlock (a true biker haunt which is naturally going to appeal to me, as a biker), are a band who truly pushed boundaries and as far back as 1981 (when the album I link to below was released, their first - 42 years ago!!!) was already a true masterpiece that no one who was "into music" knew what to do with. 

Steve Bettney (vocals) proved not only to have that rocker/heavy metal attitude, but man, he could actually SING.  Sure, it may have been like listening to one of your friends being a badass (and not quite knowing how) but he pumped out such energy and enthusiasm that if, even like me, as a lover of the fast and hard thrash, you can overcome the slower pace, but still appreciate the energy and will to experiment and fuck with the norm, you can then surely appreciate Saracen.  

They were formed in 1976 and released their first album (again, linked below) followed by their second in 1984 (Change of Heart).  A third album would require a nearly 20 year wait as it didn't come along until 2003 (Red Sky).  Ironically, despite their sound, they would release only two albums in the 1980s and five in the 2000s, possibly attesting to their loyal, if small, fanbase.

Many people have opinions about Saracen, and they have also been compared to many bands (my favourite of which, being Yes, which I feel is at least somewhat accurate), but whatever you think, give them a try - they are worth at least a one off listen for the great singing and the heartily interesting and thought-provoking lyrics.  

4 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

I like that, but then I like a lot of 60's and 70's style which I wont call Heavy Metal because someone will say it's not.

I know what you mean, AS, but I'm for sure not one of those people who obsess over labelling/categorising music of any kind.  I mean, I'm a thrasher kid from way back but even it doesn't mean I decry anything that isn't, or that I am not willing to give something new a try. 

Despite most certainly not ebing a NWOBHM expert, Saracen always stuck with me because I really like the vocals and even to my untrained ear, I can tell the musicianship is of a great quality. 

I'm glad you are going to check them out further, let me know what you think when you do.  I must check out the last couple of albums as admittedly, I have yet to listen to them.  

I generally ignore genres and therefore often get told I mis-genre bands. It's a deliberate thing because I don't care. I know what I like and I listen to it and if that means I call a band thrash when everyone else wants to call then technical-proto-ambient-darkened-black thrash then so be it.

I've always been into bands like Buffalo, Orang-Utan and Wishbone Ash but to me they've always just been 70's bands. I go through stages where I listen to a wide range of that stuff and it seems to me after listening to Heroes, Saints And Fools, Saracen fit into that category.

Generally I do think some of these older bands who have had big breaks between their classic albums and their later releases, have lost something in the years they haven't been active but I'll still give Saracen a listen.

43 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I generally ignore genres and therefore often get told I mis-genre bands. It's a deliberate thing because I don't care. I know what I like and I listen to it and if that means I call a band thrash when everyone else wants to call then technical-proto-ambient-darkened-black thrash then so be it.

I've always been into bands like Buffalo, Orang-Utan and Wishbone Ash but to me they've always just been 70's bands. I go through stages where I listen to a wide range of that stuff and it seems to me after listening to Heroes, Saints And Fools, Saracen fit into that category.

Generally I do think some of these older bands who have had big breaks between their classic albums and their later releases, have lost something in the years they haven't been active but I'll still give Saracen a listen.

That's something I have been told on many an occasion and I don't care either :D 

I'll say something like "oh that's thrashy but sounds as if it has hints of BM" or whatever only to be snappily told "It's doom-funk-punk-dunk-trash-trunk-anarchic-dump metal!!!" and I'm like, "Well, I still quite like it, so...." :) 

I must be honest, in the short time I have been active on this forum, I have had cheeky listens to some stuff I have never heard before, both bands referenced in the forum chats and from the "What are you listening to?" thread.  It's been really great to broaden my horizons and that the passion for metal is still thriving across the generations.  

2 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Just don't be suckered into that BM stuff, it's bad, it's terrible, it will make you smell like a rotting pig. You're better off listening to Nu-Metal than you are BM, it's a disease!!

Um excuse me, sir, that’s the aroma of sulphur and goats blood… now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go and record a barely audible demo tr00 kvlt necrolords like GG will rave about for decades…

3 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Just don't be suckered into that BM stuff, it's bad, it's terrible, it will make you smell like a rotting pig. You're better off listening to Nu-Metal than you are BM, it's a disease!!

Does this mean I will suddenly feel the overwhelming urge to wear corpse paint, spiky things and change my name to something like DemonGoatVomitDestroyer, or something??

44 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

AAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH It's happening already!!!

Save Yourself!

Haha you guys proper crack me up :D :D  To be honest at my age and at my height, and considering I live in a town with a large elderly population, I think if I were to dress the full on BM thing I would be responsible for more deaths than even my conscience could handle!

1 minute ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Don't listen to this clown, embrace the grimness. You're nearly there! You were already listening to Bathory earlier... two more Bathory albums and it's permanent.

I enjoyed Bathory, I really did.  If you would be kind enough to provide any recommendations, FA, I will promise to give them a try.  It's an area of metal I know zilch about, really.  I can always post my thoughts, too, if they would be welcome.

Shithammered - Atomic Sodomizer EP, drunk-funk-punk-spunk-speed-trash-trunk-bunk-anarchic-goat metal from New Hampshire

Carcinoid - Encomium to Extinction EP, doom-gloom-death-breath-decaying-portraying-slaying-flaying-spank-wank-crank-tank-carcinogenic putrid filth from Melbourne Victoria

Hell's Coronation - Ritual Chalice of Hateful Blood, low-blow-slow-burn-sinister-minister-deviant-miscreant-sanguine-sacrificial-artificial-masticating-blasticating-blackened evil filth from Poland

23 minutes ago, thrashinbiker said:

I enjoyed Bathory, I really did.  If you would be kind enough to provide any recommendations, FA, I will promise to give them a try.  It's an area of metal I know zilch about, really.  I can always post my thoughts, too, if they would be welcome.

For you, more Bathory - Under The Sign Of The Black Mark:

Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion:

Sarcofago - INRI:

Mayhem - Deathcrush:

NWOBHM classics all.

8 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Shithammered - Atomic Sodomizer EP, drunk-funk-punk-spunk-speed-trash-trunk-bunk-anarchic-goat metal from New Hampshire

Well, I have just given this a listen, as posted in the "What Are You Listening To?" thread and fuck, man, I am impressed, seriously.  

Absolutely LOVED Alcoholic Triumphator and Whisky Time, though that isn't to say I didn't enjoy the other two immensely.  That drumming on Whisky Time, jeez that guy has epic timing and focus. 

Side note - Both my dad and I like a whisky but I will have to remember to restrain myself from snarling "IT'S FUCKING... WHISKY TIIIIIIIIIIIMEEEEEEEEEEEE!" the next time I reach for the bottle.  

It's funny, because you look at the band name and the EP name and it conjures up images of some wannabe musicians arsing about with guitars and a drum set, but any kind of assumption that this is some joke band are quickly dispelled upon hearing the opening bars of the first track - these are serious musicians and the whole production is professional and totally listenable.  

Yes, I would pay money for this EP.

And on a note of pure aesthetics, who doesn't like a rather friendly looking goat with a bullet belt, spikes and brandishing an automatic weapon?

I'll be listening to the others later and also the ones @FatherAlabaster kindly recommended.  

Sorry, @AlSymerz it looks like they might be converting me!  Now, if I can just order that corpse paint and book myself in for a baphomet tattoo I might be all BM'd up in time for Christmas!

Nah, you don't need conversion therapy. Some of the shit GG listens to is definitely worth listening to, more so than some of the pretend goat sniffers. Just because he listens to some unlistenable shit at times doesn't mean there aren't some gems in his collection. But full conversion therapy, along with the frontal lobotomy and the anal probe just isn't worth it.

39 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Some of the shit GG listens to is definitely worth listening to, more so than some of the pretend goat sniffers. Just because he listens to some unlistenable shit at times doesn't mean there aren't some gems in his collection.

18 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

And that's the problem. He can't be ignored.

Unlistenable? I'll have you know I hate unlistenable shit that tries to pass itself off as music. So if I'm listening to it then by definition it's gotta be listenable, ya see what I'm sayin'? And let's face it, I have better musical taste in my rectum than you Aussies have in your entire digestive systems. My Satanic black/death/war metal filth list this year will be epic, just youze wait and see. Thought this was supposed to be the Metal Forum dot motherfucking com, not the pretentious unlistenable wankery forum, amirite?

5r06760s8d841.png?auto=webp&s=0a11614d62

3 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Just imagine the reaction if we weren't paying the guy a compliment!!!

Do not fear, AS, in the short time i have been on this forum, my view of GG has been elevated already to the status of the older brother I never knew I had and certainly didn't want.  But it's forever real.  

Joking aside, what exactly is a "goat sniffer"?  Obviously I can picture the literal intent of such a phrase, however I am thinking there is more to it than meets my innocent, angelic eye...

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Unlistenable? I'll have you know I hate unlistenable shit that tries to pass itself off as music. So if I'm listening to it then by definition it's gotta be listenable, ya see what I'm sayin'? And let's face it, I have better musical taste in my rectum than you Aussies have in your entire digestive systems. My Satanic black/death/war metal filth list this year will be epic, just youze wait and see. Thought this was supposed to be the Metal Forum dot motherfucking com, not the pretentious unlistenable wankery forum, amirite?

5r06760s8d841.png?auto=webp&s=0a11614d62

Oi don’t tar all us Aussies with the same brush mate, just because half of what I listen to is slower than a snail taking muscle relaxants…

18 minutes ago, thrashinbiker said:

Joking aside, what exactly is a "goat sniffer"?  Obviously I can picture the literal intent of such a phrase, however I am thinking there is more to it than meets my innocent, angelic eye...

Never make the mistake of thinking there is anything more to a comment of mine that it says. Smart arse. Dumb arse. The only thing I don't do is bare arse!