Hey hey hey!

thrashinbiker

Good to be here, my fellow metal heads - hello, my name is Phil and I am from the UK. 

Bit of an old bastard here - 45 years old - but a metal head since the late 1980s when I first discovered Metallica and Slayer.   The rest, as they say, is history :)

I still have the long hair (fortunately not bald yet) and live and die in my black jeans and leather jacket, so I suppose you could say I am a bit of a cliche, but hey, I love metal so it doesn't matter, right?  

I'm also a biker (don't drive a car) and enjoy nothing more than grabbing those bars, putting on some Slayer and riding the fuck out of my machine whenever I can.  I'm a bit anti-social so don't mix with people much but conversely I also enjoy meeting and chatting to fellow rockers and bikers so say hey if you want.  

I still go to gigs whenever time allows and I still rock to good music and the free spirit of my fellow metal heads, the music has got me through some tough times in these past years.

Hope you are all doing well and keep on being the great bunch of people you are!

Phil.

I had long hair once upon a time, but I got my first buzz cut back in the I think 1979 when the band I was playing in had a 6 week residency in Cairns- tropical heat etc plus it was kind of punk - I subsequently went bleached blonde for a bit.

Since then it's been either too long or too short but back to the buzz cut for the last 12 years or so and that's the way it will stay. I have plenty of growth still so I could go long, but it's a bit of a sad look on the older bloke unless you've been that way all you life.

Never rode a bike. Not a temporary Australian.

Hello long-haired old bastard Phil from the UK. Are you by chance from "oop north?" I did the long hair thing for a long time too but I had to cut it when I was in my mid 40's, it just got too thin to keep it long. I really missed it for a long time, it's something you really take for granted having it long for a few decades, and then in a moment it's gone. Took me years to remember that I had cut it and that it had turned grey and not surprise myself when I looked in the mirror and saw some old guy looking back. Like FA it's probably good that I've never bought a motorcycle, I'd undoubtedly hurt myself. I know people who ride though, what do you ride?

I got my hair cut when I was spending more time fixing trucks than I was driving them. Was a shit of an idea having to climb under a truck, or car with long hair. When a mate got himself a pit and we could drive over I let my hair grow again, but I've never had a buzz cut. My mum told me when I was a kid with a full head of hair that I had a birth mark on my head so I was never brave enough to get it cut that short in case I looked like Gorberchev. Turns out there is no birthmark and mum doesn't even remember why she told me such a thing but I'm still not getting a buzz cut. Currently I haven't had a hair cut since 2018 though. I'd rather look like an old hippy than a testicle.

We've got a four wheeled bike here on the farm but I've never owned a two wheeler and never really had any inclination to ride on the road or for any sort of distance. If I got a bike now it would just look like a late life crisis given that a few of my mates had their mid life crisis and bought Harley's about 15 years ago.

About a month ago I had the most awful day when I was pretty dissatisfied with how my hair looked (it wasn't super long, kinda came down to my shoulders). I tried to make it look good but it just didn't work, so I cut it off a bit out of complete frustration. I still wasn't completely satisfied with it, but at least I stopped there before I made it any worse. About an hour later my dad saw me and was just like "Oh dear, that looks terrible, we're going to the barber," and so we went to the barber who gave me the most terrible haircut.

The next day in school was probably one of the most socially awkward days for me I can remember. My hair looked awful and I knew it, but there was nothing I could do about it. Now I just walk around with a wool hat all the time, and I gotta say it looks pretty good.

I know life is long but it still sucks, even for that one extra year I now gotta spend till my hair grows back. I guess I just didn't appreciate it enough. Don't take these things for granted, guys!

Anyway, it was nice to unload some emotions here. Cheers!

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  I'll try to answer your comments/questions in one post rather than confusing myself by trying to reply individually, if that's cool :)

13 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Cheers man, welcome to the forum. I am 44 and still rock the long hair as well. I've cut it all off in the past, but at some point I realized I feel more like myself with my hair grown out. Maybe that's dumb but it's still true. No motorcycle though, I think I'd be dead by now.

It's not dumb at all and at the risk of sounding hippiefied, I think I've long since learned that doing what makes you happy and what makes you feel good about yourself is invaluable.  I started growing my hair in the eighties and since it got long (I have it trimmed occasionally) it's always been that way and unless I start losing it, I am disinclined to have short hair.  Plus, my hair is really, really curly so when it's short it looks hideous!

11 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I had long hair once upon a time, but I got my first buzz cut back in the I think 1979 when the band I was playing in had a 6 week residency in Cairns- tropical heat etc plus it was kind of punk - I subsequently went bleached blonde for a bit.

Since then it's been either too long or too short but back to the buzz cut for the last 12 years or so and that's the way it will stay. I have plenty of growth still so I could go long, but it's a bit of a sad look on the older bloke unless you've been that way all you life.

Never rode a bike. Not a temporary Australian.

As I said above, whatever makes you happy dude.  I can imagine in the heat long hair must be a royal pain.  Of course, in pommieland we only get half a day of sunshine a year, so it's never been an issue :)

11 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Hello long-haired old bastard Phil from the UK. Are you by chance from "oop north?" .... Like FA it's probably good that I've never bought a motorcycle, I'd undoubtedly hurt myself. I know people who ride though, what do you ride?

Yes, I am a Scouser, go ahead with the jokes, you might have one I haven't heard before, haha.  And yeah, I think I would miss my hair if I had to cut it off, but to me, the essence of metal isn't about hair, or clothing, or even attitude as such.  It's just about what the music does to you and for you.  The only time I get slightly annoyed by metalheads is when they get hung up on image and the old "you're not a real metalhead unless..." argument.  

What really opened my eyes to metal when I first listened to Slayer, Metallica and many others was the pure, untransubstantiated emotion, the aggression and the ability to just release the tension that daily life throws at you, be it at school, work or home.  It's something I am really glad I never lost the affection for.  

Currently riding a Bandit 1200, on a long term loan from a mate.  I sold my Yamaha FJ1200 when I did my back in some years ago.  I've always had back issues but stop riding?  Fuck that!  Getting some tunes on and going for a ride makes absolutely any day bearable.  And I doubt any of you guys would hurt yourselves.  You soon learn to have eyes everywhere and it's the best feeling in the world, though I accept it's not for everyone.

9 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

I got my hair cut when I was spending more time fixing trucks than I was driving them.... Currently I haven't had a hair cut since 2018 though. I'd rather look like an old hippy than a testicle.

We've got a four wheeled bike here on the farm but I've never owned a two wheeler and never really had any inclination to ride on the road or for any sort of distance. If I got a bike now it would just look like a late life crisis given that a few of my mates had their mid life crisis and bought Harley's about 15 years ago.

I think the last time I had a trim was 2019 so about the same.  Yeah Harley's do kind of scream mid-life crisis, but you're never too old to learn.  I know a few guys who didn't start riding until in their 50's, once their kids had grown up and they just wanted something a bit adventurous.  Like I said, it's not for everyone so I would never say "you should do it..." but I enjoy it immensely.

4 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I guess I’m unfashionably late to the welcome wagon, unfortunately, I can’t exactly rock the long hair, and for some reason, the Australian government won’t let me drive a car, much less a motorbike, who saw that coming? Not this (almost) blind guy…

I'm sorry to learn that your sight isn't great, Relentless.  I won't insult you with platitudes or anything, since I know it's something no one can understand unless they experience it for themselves, however, I hope you still derive great enjoyment from the music, my friend :)

4 hours ago, AdamGavriely said:

About a month ago I had the most awful day when I was pretty dissatisfied with how my hair looked (it wasn't super long, kinda came down to my shoulders)....

I know life is long but it still sucks, even for that one extra year I now gotta spend till my hair grows back. I guess I just didn't appreciate it enough. Don't take these things for granted, guys!

Anyway, it was nice to unload some emotions here. Cheers!

Ah that's a bugger, but at least you are growing it back so it's only temporary.  Also, unload emotion all you want, that's what being part of a community is all about.  Just enjoy the music and you will find your hair grows back soon enough.  Like I said earlier in my post, it's not the hair or the clothes that make you a metal head, it's the tunes.  You'll get to a stage where you are happy with your hair and never look back.

Thanks again for the welcome, everyone.  Look forward to chatting again soon!

So, I am 47 and shave my hair short as I am going bald anyway (hairline recedes faster than my bank balance).  I also live in Merseyside although I am a) not a scouser and b) not called Phil and c) drive an Astra so I am not you I can confirm.  

Don’t be fooled by all those lot who have posted here before me.  They are all dicks I can confirm.

12 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

So, I am 47 and shave my hair short as I am going bald anyway (hairline recedes faster than my bank balance).  I also live in Merseyside although I am a) not a scouser and b) not called Phil and c) drive an Astra so I am not you I can confirm.  

Don’t be fooled by all those lot who have posted here before me.  They are all dicks I can confirm.

To be fair if I start balding I will have clippers out and shave my head in an instant.  I know I shouldn't judge but the whole bald head thing with a ponytail/long hair at the back/sides thing just doesn't look great in my opinion.  

An Astra?  Are they any good?  I have never driven one.  Despite me not holding a car licence I have driven a fair few cars (on private land, of course) as a friend of mine is a mechanic and heavily into cars - he buys them when they're pretty much fooked and restores them, so it's always fun to rag them a bit, though of course, bikes are my true passion.  

13 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Yeah but we don't drive Astra's

Love-Fifteen! MacabreEternal to serve 😮 

27 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I'm lucky if I can get all the words I want on the page without typos.

I'd like to blame all the silly things I post on bad typing too but no one would believe me.

Despite my blackened heart, my tortured soul, and my propensity to generally despise people, even I am occasionally moved to an act of kindness, particularly when it follows an unprecedentedly satisfying poo.  

So, Al, I solemnly promise, from this moment forward, to always believe that anything silly you post REALLY IS due to accidental bad typing, whatever evidence may point to the contrary.

4 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Yeah but we don't drive Astra's

Lots of Scousers drive Astras, they're made right across the river there in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire. 

Aussies don't want to make their own cars anymore so your mob have to drive Toyotas, Mazdas and Mitsubishis. Unless you're one of the special ones who understand the difference between England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland, then you get to drive an electric Beemer.

3 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Lots of Scousers drive Astras, they're made right across the river there in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire. 

Aussies don't want to make their own cars anymore so your mob have to drive Toyotas, Mazdas and Mitsubishis. Unless you're one of the special ones who understand the difference between England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland, then you get to drive an electric Beemer.

Hey, I know the difference, Scotland has Scotch, Ireland has Guinness… Also, Irish whiskey, England has none of those, and therefore is the worst of the three…

24 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

To be fair Aussies do want to make their own cars but Ford and Chev priced themselves out of the market and people started buying cheap Asian built cars. Then when the government stopped paying Ford and Chev megabucks to keep people employed they pissed off out of the country proving they were only in it for the government hand outs.

44 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Across the river?  You mean in the dark, unforgiving, hostile territory that is The Wirral and beyond?  Fuck!  

See, this is why being a biker is so much easier and subjects you to no vehicular judgement whatsoever.  As long as you don't ride anything Chinese you are accepted into the biker brotherhood.  And even riding a Chinese bike is forgiven if you can manage to do a burnout till the back tyre pops and then you set fire to the whole sorry mess and pass the smokes round.  Of course, you need to ride pilly or get a taxi home but even that is socially acceptable on this single occasion.

Oh there's definitely judgement on bikes. We're not silly enough to judge those "spectacular tattooed fuckwits" that wear 1% badges...at least not where they can hear us because that would be fucking silly. But we do judge every other Harley rider based on whether on not they are going through a mid life crisis, end of life crisis, or too dumb to have a crisis.