Your Favourite Year in Metal

Requiem

2 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I'm sure that if I was to pick a year on the earlier side of the 80's, it would be 83 or 84. Not that there's anything at all wrong with the first couple of years of the decade, but a lot more opens up if you give it a few years.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

BlutAusNerd's 2008 favorites:

Aura Noir - Hades Rise

Averse Sefira - Advent Parallax

Brown Jenkins - Angel Eyes

Darkspace - Darkspace III

Daylight Dies - Lost to the Living

Deathspell Omega - Chaining the Katechon

Disfear - Live the Storm

Doom: VS - Dead Words Speak

Drug Honkey - Death Dub

Enforcer - Into the Night

Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale

The Gates of Slumber - Conqueror

Hail of Bullets - ...of Frost and War

Hellveto - Neoheresy

Horna - Sanojesi Äärelle

Mgła - Groza

Misery's Omen - Hope Dies

Misery Index - Traitors

Mitochondrion - Archaeaeon

Moonsorrow - Tulimyrsky

Moonspell - Night Eternal

Mourning Beloveth - A Disease For the Ages

Nachtmystium - Assassins: Black Meddle Pt. 1

Opeth - Watershed

Pest - Rest in Morbid Darkness

Sculptured - Embodiment

Skepticism - Alloy

Taake - Taake

Umbra Nihil - The Borderland Rituals

Unearthly Trance - Electrocution

Velnias - Sovereign Nocturnal

Virgin Black - Requiem: Fortissimo

Damn, I guess I didn't give 2008 enough credit. There may not be as many masterpieces here as in previous years, but there's a ton of great and excellent stuff that should have sprung to mind more readily.

Absolutely. I was pretty surprised once I'd compiled my list too. I think we're going to find classics hidden away every year, like you say. There are that many great bands putting out albums all the time. 

Here's a great year (if you're me). 

Katatonia - 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down' (my equal all time favourite album for any band, any genre)

Novembre - 'Novembrine Waltz' (their best album)

Dimmu Borgir - 'Puritanical Eurphoric Mistanthropia' (their best album)

Children of Bodom - 'Follow the Reaper' (their best album)

Finntroll - 'Jaktens Tid' (close to their best album)

Emperor - 'Prometheus' (a great album, obviously not their best)

Opeth - 'Blackwater Park' (almost their best album)

Moonspell - 'Darkness and Hope' (a great gothic metal comeback after the electronic/industrial bollocks)

My Dying Bride - 'The Dreadful Hours' (their last great album with the exception of 'SoD,WoL') 

Slayer - 'God Hates Us All' (a top 3 slayer album)

That's a quality collection of records right there. 2001 was a good year. 

Here's a great year (if you're me). 

Katatonia - 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down' (my equal all time favourite album for any band, any genre)

Novembre - 'Novembrine Waltz' (their best album)

Dimmu Borgir - 'Puritanical Eurphoric Mistanthropia' (their best album)

Children of Bodom - 'Follow the Reaper' (their best album)

Finntroll - 'Jaktens Tid' (close to their best album)

Emperor - 'Prometheus' (a great album, obviously not their best)

Opeth - 'Blackwater Park' (almost their best album)

Moonspell - 'Darkness and Hope' (a great gothic metal comeback after the electronic/industrial bollocks)

My Dying Bride - 'The Dreadful Hours' (their last great album with the exception of 'SoD,WoL') 

Slayer - 'God Hates Us All' (a top 3 slayer album)

That's a quality collection of records right there. 2001 was a good year. 

Yeah, these choices wouldn't jive with my list. Well, most of them, anyway.

Well, here goes nothing.

1988:

Armoros - Pieces

Attacker - The Second Coming

Bathory - Blood Fire Death

Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear

Blind Illusion - The Sane Asylum

Bolt Thrower - In Battle There is No Law!

Candlemass - Ancient Dreams

Coroner - Punishment For Decadence

Crimson Glory - Transcendence

Death - Leprosy

Deathwish - Demon Preacher

Fates Warning - No Exit

Godflesh - Godflesh

Helstar - A Distant Thunder

Holy Terror - Mind Wars

Incubus - Serpent Temptation

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

King Diamond - "Them"

Liege Lord - Master Control

Mekong Delta - The Music of Erich Zann

Ministry - The Land of Rape and Honey

Napalm Death - From Enslavement to Obliteration

Nuclear Assault - Survive

Num Skull - Ritually Abused

Overkill - Under the Influence

Pantera - Power Metal

Protector - Golem

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime

Razor - Violent Restitution

Realm - Endless War

Riot - Thundersteel

Running Wild - Port Royal

Sabbat - History of a Time to Come

Sadus - Chemical Exposure

Slayer - South of Heaven

Vicious Rumors - Digital Dictator

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare

Voivod - Dimension Hatross

Znöwhite - Act of God

This is definitely the year to beat for the 80's, if not in general. Most of my favorite power, thrash, speed, and progressive metal albums are represented here.

6 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

There's way too much candy floss in my 2001 list for the likes of you, judging from your lists of steel and denim (apart from a couple of cheeky 80s albums I see there!). 

Alright, 1988. Here I go: 

Bathory - 'Blood Fire Death'

Bon Jovi - 'New Jersey' (hell yeah!). (We're keeping definitions of metal loose, right?)

Cinderella - 'Long Cold Winter'

Guns n Roses - 'GnR Lies'

Iron Maiden - 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son'

Manowar - 'Kings of Metal'

Megadeth - 'So Far So Good So What'

Metallica - 'And Justice for All'

Ozzy Osbourne - 'No Rest for the Wicked'

Slayer - 'South of Heaven'

Warrant - 'Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich'

Apart from Ozzy, Maiden and Warrant (Jani Lane was a god), I couldn't say I really love any of these albums, but I like them all a lot. You can see I'm not really much of a thrash/death type of guy, hence the year is a very thin one for all time classics for me personally. 

6 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:  

There's way too much candy floss in my 2001 list for the likes of you, judging from your lists of steel and denim (apart from a couple of cheeky 80s albums I see there!). 

Alright, 1988. Here I go: 

Bathory - 'Blood Fire Death'

Bon Jovi - 'New Jersey' (hell yeah!). (We're keeping definitions of metal loose, right?)

Cinderella - 'Long Cold Winter'

Guns n Roses - 'GnR Lies'

Iron Maiden - 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son'

Manowar - 'Kings of Metal'

Megadeth - 'So Far So Good So What'

Metallica - 'And Justice for All'

Ozzy Osbourne - 'No Rest for the Wicked'

Slayer - 'South of Heaven'

Warrant - 'Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich'

Apart from Ozzy, Maiden and Warrant (Jani Lane was a god), I couldn't say I really love any of these albums, but I like them all a lot. You can see I'm not really much of a thrash/death type of guy, hence the year is a very thin one for all time classics for me personally. 

I forgot about that Manowar album, that should have been on mine. It's not so much about those choices being too "candy floss", they're just not my flavor. I like some softer stuff, but I'm pickier about it.

15 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:  

I forgot about that Manowar album, that should have been on mine.

People who forget - leave the hall!!

I'm sure that there are more that I missed. It's not my favorite by them by any stretch, but it deserves to be included.

8 hours ago, Requiem said:

(Jani Lane was a god)

I appreciate your appreciation for the late great Jani Lane! Immensely underrated songwriter and a great singer/frontman too!

What great talent he had... He is sorely missed!

At the same time I read somewhere that God Hates All ranks among Slayer's top 3 records... Are you serious? I'd rank that next to "Diabolus in Musica" as Slayer's worst!

8 hours ago, Requiem said: (Jani Lane was a god)

I appreciate your appreciation for the late great Jani Lane! Immensely underrated songwriter and a great singer/frontman too!

At the same time I read somewhere that God Hates All ranks among Slayer's top 3 records... Are you serious? I'd rank that next to "Diabolus in Musica" as Slayer's worst!

Yeah, that whole era when Sam Kinnison was fronting the band is pretty bad...

20 hours ago, Skull_Kollektor said:

Yeah, I stand by the 'God Hates Us All' comment. I should point out that I'm not the biggest Slayer fan in the world, and I actually have a lot of issues with what I see as their pretty weak output considering how many albums they've released.

I really only like a few songs from 'GHUA', but I consider them nearly untouchable for Slayer songs. 'The Darkness of Christ/Disciple' and 'Threshold' are just fantastic songs. 'Disciple' is just brilliant from start to finish, with great lyrics and a great structure. 'Threshold' has an anthem for a chorus with "Can't stop the violence, I love it..." thing, especially the final time around when Tom's voice goes up to the next level. I also love the "I keep the bible in a pool of blood so that none of its lies can affect me" part in 'New Faith' which is hilarious and cool.

A lot of their other albums just plod along with thrash by numbers and don't have the x-factor of those tracks, for me at least. I have 'Christ Illusion' somewhere too and it just sucks, basically. I'm going to go and post that one in the 'Albums you wish you can unhear' thread. 

So I don't actually love all of 'God Hates Us All', but I really love parts of it. Just the whole concept too, that god must hate us. Wow, what an idea. And the way Tom Araya just spits back. Great stuff. 

For me it goes: 

1. 'South of Heaven'

2. 'Reign in Blood' 

3. 'God Hates Us All' 

But yeah, pretty mediocre band overall. 

p.s Glad you recognise Jani Lane's talent! I thought I'd get panned for that more than the Slayer call hahaha. 

Very interesting! If I had to rank Slayer, it'd be something like this:

1- Reign In Blood (PERFECTION)

2- South of Heaven

3- Show No Mercy

4- Seasons in the Abyss (yes, it's a tad bit commercial, but the songwriting is INFECTIOUS)

5- Hell Awaits (it's actually an amazing record, but I just happen to simply enjoy it a little less than the four above)

6- Christ Illusion

7- World Painted Blood

8- Divine Intervention

9- Repentless

10- God Hates Us All

11- Diabolus in Musica

I'm leaving live albums, the cover album and the ep's out of the equation, but obviously "Haunting The Chapel" features "Chemical Warfare", which is one of their best songs (if not THE best).

Crazy fact about GHUA is that it came out on September 11 2001.

As for Jani Lane, man was he gifted as a songwriter! I absolutely love Warrant's first three records. I'd say "Dog Eat Dog" could be their best, most badass and authentic record (though it does sound like a cross between Skid Row, Alice in Chains and Warrant themselves)... but both "DRFSR" and "Cherry Pie" are full of hits! The singles could actually be their worse... especially "Cherry Pie" itself, which sounds like a "I Love Rock And Roll" rip-off. Well "Uncle Tom's Cabin" was actually a single, but it rocked! "Mr. Rainmaker" and the cover of Blackfoot's "Train Train" are also favorites of mine.

Warrant (US) and Slayer in the same thread. Simply love it!

This is so tough. I suppose I'll list my favorites from 1987:

Sarcofago- "INRI"

Chakal- "Abominable Anno Domini"

Mutilator- "Immortal Force"

Holocausto- "Campo de Exterminio"

Sepultura- "Schizophrenia"

Necrophagia- "Season of the Dead"

Death- "Scream Bloody Gore"

King Diamond- "Abigail"

Morbid- "December Moon"

Mayhem- "Deathcrush"

Savatage- "Hall of the Mountain King"

Bathory- "Under the Sign of the Black Mark"

Celtic Frost- "Into the Pandemonium"

Napalm Death- "Scum"

Sodom- "Persecution Mania"

Overkill- "Taking Over"

Testament- "The Legacy"

Exodus- "Pleasures of the Flesh"

Candlemass- "Nightfall"

Heathen- "Breaking the Silence"

Tankard- "Chemical Invasion"

Voivod- "Killing Technology"

Very interesting! If I had to rank Slayer, it'd be something like this:

1- Reign In Blood (PERFECTION)

2- South of Heaven

3- Show No Mercy

4- Seasons in the Abyss (yes, it's a tad bit commercial, but the songwriting is INFECTIOUS)

5- Hell Awaits (it's actually an amazing record, but I just happen to simply enjoy it a little less than the four above)

6- Christ Illusion

7- World Painted Blood

8- Divine Intervention

9- Repentless

10- God Hates Us All

11- Diabolus in Musica

I'm leaving live albums, the cover album and the ep's out of the equation, but obviously "Haunting The Chapel" features "Chemical Warfare", which is one of their best songs (if not THE best).

Crazy fact about GHUA is that it came out on September 11 2001.

As for Jani Lane, man was he gifted as a songwriter! I absolutely love Warrant's first three records. I'd say "Dog Eat Dog" could be their best, most badass and authentic record (though it does sound like a cross between Skid Row, Alice in Chains and Warrant themselves)... but both "DRFSR" and "Cherry Pie" are full of hits! The singles could actually be their worse... especially "Cherry Pie" itself, which sounds like a "I Love Rock And Roll" rip-off. Well "Uncle Tom's Cabin" was actually a single, but it rocked! "Mr. Rainmaker" and the cover of Blackfoot's "Train Train" are also favorites of mine.

RiB? Perfection? Maybe if they had included the other half of all of the songs in the middle of the album that they conveniently left out.

On 01/03/2017 at 7:37 AM, Skull_Kollektor said:

It's funny because True Belief says the same thing about their best album being 'Dog Eat Dog'.

I actually don't own it but I've heard it, and it's awesome, but I can't say that I like it quite as much as 'Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich' or 'Cherry Pie'. And the song 'Hole in my Wall' really makes me cringe with its wannabe Alice in Chains vibe. The chorus in 'Machine Gun' goes down as one of the greatest in rock history though. 

I should buy it and get to know it in honour of my boi Jani. 

Skull, have you read Bobbie Brown's book 'Dirty Rocker Boys'? An interesting insight into her relationship with Jani, albeit from her perspective and obviously without Jani's ability to put his side of things forward. She's pretty even handed though and doesn't pay him out too much. 

Anyway, we really hijacked this thread hahaha. I'll think of another year of metal that I really like to get it back on track at some point! 

Have not read Bobby's book! I did read Motley's "The Dirt", though, and she's featured... Tommy Lee nailed her at some point.

Jani has always been a loser... A somewhat tragic figure... Half of "Cherry Pie" comprises of loser songs... Even more so than Dokken's usual complaining (see "Alone Again", "In My Dreams", "Breaking the Chains"... well, pretty much any of his tracks about chicks except for "Sweet Young Girls (I love them all)" off his first record)...

I am referring to stuff like "I saw red" (cuz he found his longtime GF in bed with someone else))... He (Jani) overcompensated with stuff like "Love In Stereo" ("I've never had two women before, but I'm an open minded person, so baby lock that door"... what a poet in his own right!), but it doesn't sound as ballsy and don't-give-a-fuck-ish about female human beings like your average Motley Crue track does (TEN SECONDS TO LOVE!). It sounds like "f**k, I got screwed, I'll binge with two whores to show the world who I am..." that is a LOSER. 

Very unfortunate... No disrespect to Jani, I truly think he was an Artist and a blessed songwriter. It's just that he pretended to be some kind of Vince Neil type of guy when he really wasn't like that at heart... We all saw him cry on the telly when he told the tale of how he became identified with the track "Cherry Pie"...

• 2 weeks later...

For a long time, it was 1995 for me. Now, I'm not too sure. However, how can you blame me with albums like these? 

Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black

Abigor - Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom) 

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side

Yngwie Malmsteen - Magnum Opus

Symphony X - The Damnation Game

Ulver - Bergtatt

Gamma Ray - The Land of the Free

Darkthrone - Panzerfaust

Death - Symbolic 

Dark Tranquility - The Gallery 

Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings

Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet

Nightfall - Athenian Echoes

Summoning - Minas Morgul

Riot - The Brethren of the Long House 

Nightingale - The Breathing Shadow 

Virgin Steele - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Pt. II 

and on and on and on...

On 05/03/2017 at 0:09 PM, Skull_Kollektor said:

Have not read Bobby's book! I did read Motley's "The Dirt", though, and she's featured... Tommy Lee nailed her at some point.

Jani has always been a loser... A somewhat tragic figure... Half of "Cherry Pie" comprises of loser songs... Even more so than Dokken's usual complaining (see "Alone Again", "In My Dreams", "Breaking the Chains"... well, pretty much any of his tracks about chicks except for "Sweet Young Girls (I love them all)" off his first record)...

I am referring to stuff like "I saw red" (cuz he found his longtime GF in bed with someone else))... He (Jani) overcompensated with stuff like "Love In Stereo" ("I've never had two women before, but I'm an open minded person, so baby lock that door"... what a poet in his own right!), but it doesn't sound as ballsy and don't-give-a-fuck-ish about female human beings like your average Motley Crue track does (TEN SECONDS TO LOVE!). It sounds like "f**k, I got screwed, I'll binge with two whores to show the world who I am..." that is a LOSER. 

Very unfortunate... No disrespect to Jani, I truly think he was an Artist and a blessed songwriter. It's just that he pretended to be some kind of Vince Neil type of guy when he really wasn't like that at heart... We all saw him cry on the telly when he told the tale of how he became identified with the track "Cherry Pie"...

Tommy Lee had a pretty decent and long relationship with Bobbie. They were together for quite a while, although she says Leonardo do Caprio has a bigger dick. Make of that what you will.

She also reckons that Jani was really conservative in bed and a little naive. You're dead right about Jani being a sensitive artistic guy rather than a Vince Neil type. 

4 hours ago, Ecthelion said:

For a long time, it was 1995 for me. Now, I'm not too sure. However, how can you blame me with albums like these? 

Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black

Abigor - Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom) 

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side

Yngwie Malmsteen - Magnum Opus

Symphony X - The Damnation Game

Ulver - Bergtatt

Gamma Ray - The Land of the Free

Darkthrone - Panzerfaust

Death - Symbolic 

Dark Tranquility - The Gallery 

Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings

Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet

Nightfall - Athenian Echoes

Summoning - Minas Morgul

Riot - The Brethren of the Long House 

Nightingale - The Breathing Shadow 

Virgin Steele - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Pt. II 

and on and on and on...

Some great albums here no doubt, and you left out mighty albums from Anathema and My Dying Bride ('The Silent Enigma' and 'The Angel and the Dark River'), not to mention the mighty 'Storm of the Lights Bane' by Dissection!

Great Year 1995. 

5 hours ago, Requiem said:

Tommy Lee had a pretty decent and long relationship with Bobbie. They were together for quite a while, although she says Leonardo do Caprio has a bigger dick. Make of that what you will.

She also reckons that Jani was really conservative in bed and a little naive. You're dead right about Jani being a sensitive artistic guy rather than a Vince Neil type. 

Some great albums here no doubt, and you left out mighty albums from Anathema and My Dying Bride ('The Silent Enigma' and 'The Angel and the Dark River'), not to mention the mighty 'Storm of the Lights Bane' by Dissection!

Great Year 1995. 

I included that album in another list. Legendary. 

• 4 months later...
On 14/08/2017 at 1:00 PM, Vampyrique said:

Balancing quality and quantity, I tend to favour 1994 or 1996. 

Which albums put those two years at the top of the pile for you? By the way, 1996 is my all time favourite year for music. 

• 6 months later...
1994 for me easy. 
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven 
Megadeth - Yothanasia
Korn -Korn
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes 
Acid Bath - When The Kite String Pops
Bolt Thrower - For Victory 

Only 2 of those would be justification for me to mention 1994, but I would agree that it was a great year for metal.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Upon reflection, I think 1991 is the year I feel most connected with:

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence

Autopsy - Mental Funeral

Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten

Immolation - Dawn of Possession

Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients

Darkthrone - Soulside Journey

Coroner - Mental Vortex

Death - Human

Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream

Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick