Favourite Art/Artists

MacabreEternal

I know we have a "Metal Artwork" thread/area but I have done a brief search and can't find a Favourite Art/Artist thread so here goes: Peter Gric PETER GRIC I love his Gigeresque eroticism blended with an almost architectural slant on some of his work. DZO Ink, Bones and Stone? DZO Illustration | CVLT Nation Really detailed ink work that must require so much concentration Kris Kuksi Kris Kuksi This is meticulous work whether it be his painting, his drawing or (my fave) his sculpture work. Astonishing stuff.

Some of my favourite artists are Giger' date=' John Baizley, Alphonse Mucha (art nouveau), Leonora Carrington (surrealist), Fastner and Larson (fantasy/horror). I love comic book art especially Satanika and of course Kristian Wahlin.[/quote'] I like Leonora Carrington too and Remedios Varo also I like Mark Ryden, is anyone here an artist? I would like to see your work :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Almost anyone in the Dutch School, Rembrandt and Rubens in particular. I also like some of Raphael. Art Nouveau is awesome too, and I like Brian Ching, Jan Duursema, Doug Chiang, Dermot Power, Iain McCaig and a lot of other folks who did art for the Star Wars movies.

I've been on a Blake kick lately. I've gotten the complete poems out of the library again, and been watching documentaries about him today.

William_Blake_-_Nebuchadnezzar_Tate_Brit

I nearly completely disagree with Blake philosophically, and his art is really naive and idiosyncratic, but I give him full marks for running all the way with his own ideas and not giving a shit what anybody thought. My introduction to him was through Ulver's "The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell".

Among other things today I watched a video of Merilyn Manson reciting the proverbs of hell from the Marriage of Heaven and Hell. (Yes, his is a vain weirdo, I know).

Naive is a word that suggests inferior. He wages a battle against reason. You your self illustrate (to use your own word) the human figure with a great deal of anatomical knowledge, and an impressive sense of mass and movement so I'm not surprised you disparage Blake a little. I love the grit, and the grace and the heavy and dangerous moods of Blake's visual art. The pathos he brings on is wicked metal. I hear that people can overcome sophistication, but maybe not without rejecting reason in order to do so. (There is an ad hominem in there somewhere where I accuse you of being a rationalist, I apologize for that as well [it is partly gone now].)

Here is maybe what I'm trying to say, and it is a bout Blake, and not you. Sophistication is the result of training and acculturation. For an artist It is a byproduct of education but not useful in and of it's self. No... fuck it, I can not get that thought together.

Gorbo - there's some merit in what you imply about "sophistication" getting in the way of honest artistic expression. I've certainly run into problems with having confidence in my own work, since I finished school, and there's a good chance I would have been more productive if I hadn't gone. But I think a big part of that is that I learned how to hold work to different intellectual standards (not standards of execution), and my paintings don't meet those internal standards. That's not a bad thing, it means I need to make better art.

It's impossible to unpack what you're saying without running into what I think are false binaries (like "reason vs emotion"), that Blake based his entire worldview on, and that are deeply embedded in the Romantic ideal of "The Artist". It's unfortunate that the paradigm our culture has found, to replace the Romantic ideal, is that of the artist as a successful businessperson creating commodities within the structure of the "free" market. I find that concept even less appealing, although it's rooted in historical fact: high art in all cultures I know of has been a luxury product for the rich, often used as propaganda to serve their ends. I choose to think of art as being valuable to viewers on an individual level, based on the importance or relevance of their experience of a given piece (how's that for naive?).

To put my problem with Blake another way, I think he's a crummy painter. He's too hit and miss. That's all just my taste, but it's based on this perception: I don't think his execution often lives up to his goals; his drawing betrays a yearning for an academic ideal that was out of his reach. I don't need to see mastery of the human figure to enjoy an artist's work, but it would have helped his immensely. 

Here are a few who weren't the best figure painters, but I enjoy their work:

Balthus

balthus-street.jpg

Friedrich (an amazing painter, but his figures suck)

Caspar_David_Friedrich_-_Das_Eismeer_-_H

abbey-in-the-oak-forest-by-caspar-david-

Turner

turner_Fishermen_a_2702630b.jpg

Some more French academic shit (edit - don't like this auto merge feature, this was supposed to be a different post)

Girodet (rife with imperialist propaganda and sappy moralizing, but so what)

Anne-Louis_Girodet-Trioson_001.jpg

Atala_au_tombeau,1808,Girodet_de_Roussy_

Ingres (so many, but this one stopped me dead when I saw it irl because of its resemblance to a friend)

Jean-Auguste-Dominique_Ingres_-_Comtesse

Edited by FatherAlabaster

That Ingres one is phenomenal, it looks like a French Renaissance painting with the choice of fabric - and the clarity of the lines around the eyes and the fingernails reminds me of da Vinci. His other work looks great as well.

Edited by Iceni

That Ingres one is phenomenal, it looks like a French Renaissance painting with the choice of fabric - and the clarity of the lines around the eyes and the fingernails reminds me of da Vinci. His other work looks great as well.

He was a master. His fabric was superb. He'd be more of an inspiration to me if I thought I could ever approach that level of technique. This one is totally bonkers:

Jean_Auguste_Dominique_Ingres_-_Napoleon

Subject matter aside, holy shit.

Very nice. I had planned to post a Turner as an example of sophisticated irrationality. Yeah, romanticism might be a better term, I'm down with that.

Inness could be another example. Very good with cow's figures and not to shabby with the human form as well.

George-Inness-xx-November-Montclair-xx-B

That would make a fine metal album cover I believe, thought I appose the use of old painting as "album art".

"Girodet (rife with imperialist propaganda and sappy moralizing, but so what)"

Girodet you say.. Well some of those figures look OK to me, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean, know what I mean?

Yeah, as far as Blake is concerned, I think what you say about him is true. Especially about desiring a more "academic" execution of human form that he was capable of. I'll try to over romanticize the guy as the ideal of a struggling artist, but he seems like a bit of a mystic prophet.

Yeah, the French academics were certainly well versed in the human figure. The amount of work they were required to do from their heads is mind-blowing (the Prix de Rome competitors weren't allowed models). I find a lot of the poses weirdly stylized and rigid, but, still amazing. 

Here are some really beautiful and morbid studies by Theodore Gericault - he painted these from the limbs and heads of executed criminals, which he borrowed from the Paris morgue:

gericault%2B1.jpg

gericault%2B2.jpg

gericault%2B5.jpg

In the same exhibit where I saw a version of Gericault's "Raft of the Medusa", I saw this painting - "The Execution of Lady Jane Grey" by Paul Delaroche, which is very large, skilfully done, and both tender and horrifying in person:

PAUL_DELAROCHE_-_Ejecuci%C3%B3n_de_Lady_