The Movie Thread

radio master666

Imaginaerum - very good looking, well realised and fairly played for a low budget movie. But storyline, the most important thing in every movie, is total crap - unclear, tearful. Seems to be little too short - all subplots cut in the middle without a word of explanation.

I saw the latest Hobbit movie last weekend. I was expecting the worst since I really didn't like the first two, but The Battle of the Five Armies really surprised me. It's the first in the trilogy that doesn't feel overstuffed. The acting (especially by Bilbo and Thorin) was mostly great, and the battle sequences were legitimately epic on the scale of LOTR. No goofy video gamey fight sequences or ill-fated attempts at humor like the first two movies. The love triangle was still super awkward, contrived, and just flat-out bad. A few plot points seemed almost purposely unresolved to drum up interest for the extended edition (which i'm actually interested in seeing). The one on one fights were a little too long as well. Overall i'd give it a solid 7/10.

• 2 weeks later...
True. Also' date=' The Hobbit is more a children story than LOTR. It could easily fit into one movie, 2 if you want to make it epic, but all those non existing wizards and elves in the movie are so not necessary. I am glad Vigo Mortensen didn't want to play Aragorn.[/quote'] I'm sick n' tired of all those who bitch about the hobbit not being close to book, or that they made it in 3 parts just for the money. Or the fact that they don't appreciate that PJ turned a children's story into an epic fantasy adventure. First of all the book was written as a fairytale for kids. Yet they still tried to tease some stuff and give us an experience close to what we got in LOTR trilogy (which was a legit written fantasy novel). If they followed the book as close as possible, the same people that are crying now about how bad the movie was, would complain about how childish the movie was. Also, they didn't touch the important parts of the story. The attack on Dol Guldur was legit for the most part, but they had to find a way to rush to the discovery that Necro was Sauron, since Gandalf found out 100 years before convincing the council to attack. Elrond was not there as well. But overall it was great. Azog was long dead in the book, but he gave us a much greater Thorin death than that of the book... Tauriel did not interfere with the story anyways yet she made the movies more intresting. Lastly about Vigo "not wanting" to play Aragorn, he could very well appear in the first movie in Rivendel. Acording to PJ's timeline he was 27 years old during that time, and not 10 as in the books. People seem to forget that LOTR movies skiped 17 years... People just like to bitch about everything nowdays.

I'm sick n' tired of all those who bitch about the hobbit not being close to book, or that they made it in 3 parts just for the money. Or the fact that they don't appreciate that PJ turned a children's story into an epic fantasy adventure. First of all the book was written as a fairytale for kids. Yet they still tried to tease some stuff and give us an experience close to what we got in LOTR trilogy (which was a legit written fantasy novel). If they followed the book as close as possible, the same people that are crying now about how bad the movie was, would complain about how childish the movie was. Also, they didn't touch the important parts of the story. The attack on Dol Guldur was legit for the most part, but they had to find a way to rush to the discovery that Necro was Sauron, since Gandalf found out 100 years before convincing the council to attack. Elrond was not there as well. But overall it was great. Azog was long dead in the book, but he gave us a much greater Thorin death than that of the book... Tauriel did not interfere with the story anyways yet she made the movies more intresting. Lastly about Vigo "not wanting" to play Aragorn, he could very well appear in the first movie in Rivendel. Acording to PJ's timeline he was 27 years old during that time, and not 10 as in the books. People seem to forget that LOTR movies skiped 17 years... People just like to bitch about everything nowdays.
Seems like you have a real grasp on the timeline, so I can't comment there. I did not like the chased by goblins scene in the first part, or the barrel riding scene in whatever part that was in, and I really was put of by the melting of so so very much gold so very very quickly in the second part. I just didn't want to suspend disbelief as hard as I was being asked to, and frankly thought that the CGI was not up to the gold standard if you will as Smaug flew up and dusted off all of that gold he had been submerged in. I don't mind about inconsistencies between the books and the movies much personally. Also I'm hearing from you that the Necromancer and Sauron were one and the same, I did not know that. Does the Necromancer appear in the Silmarilian (I have not read it, and likely can not spell it either)?

Seems like you have a real grasp on the timeline' date=' so I can't comment there. I did not like the chased by goblins scene in the first part, or the barrel riding scene in whatever part that was in, and I really was put of by the melting of so so very much gold so very very quickly in the second part. I just didn't want to suspend disbelief as hard as I was being asked to, and frankly thought that the CGI was not up to the gold standard if you will as Smaug flew up and dusted off all of that gold he had been submerged in. I don't mind about inconsistencies between the books and the movies much personally. Also I'm hearing from you that the Necromancer and Sauron were one and the same, I did not know that. Does the Necromancer appear in the Silmarilian (I have not read it, and likely can not spell it either)?[/quote'] CGI didn't bother me, it was decent to watch for me at least. Yeah necromancer is Sauron and that is explained in the third movie as well.. He was unable to take physical form thus returned to Mirkwood as "the Necromancer". After he was banished by the wizards and Galadriel, he gone to Mordor. Also it has nothing to do with the Silmarillion. Both LOTR and Hobbit take place in the Third age. Silmarillion takes place in the First. Sauron was just a servant of Morgoth back then.

Inconsistency with the book is one thing, The LOTR saga had that in several places, putting in something that never happened is entirely different. As Atrocity said two parts was enough. The first part could have concluded as Thorin and company were captured by the elves of Mirkwood. The secound part could have covered their escape, reaching the lonely mountain, the slaying of Smaug and the battle of the five armies.

My favourite Japanese horror flick is still Ju-On. The American remake 'The Grudge' was ok (so far as remakes go) but the original left a lasting impression.
The Japanese Ju-On was a masterpiece and unquestionably much better than the American remake. Gozu revolves around a more creeping abstract horror though. Both movies are very well made in their own field.

I'm sick n' tired of all those who bitch about the hobbit not being close to book, or that they made it in 3 parts just for the money. Or the fact that they don't appreciate that PJ turned a children's story into an epic fantasy adventure. First of all the book was written as a fairytale for kids. Yet they still tried to tease some stuff and give us an experience close to what we got in LOTR trilogy (which was a legit written fantasy novel). If they followed the book as close as possible, the same people that are crying now about how bad the movie was, would complain about how childish the movie was. Also, they didn't touch the important parts of the story. The attack on Dol Guldur was legit for the most part, but they had to find a way to rush to the discovery that Necro was Sauron, since Gandalf found out 100 years before convincing the council to attack. Elrond was not there as well. But overall it was great. Azog was long dead in the book, but he gave us a much greater Thorin death than that of the book... Tauriel did not interfere with the story anyways yet she made the movies more intresting. Lastly about Vigo "not wanting" to play Aragorn, he could very well appear in the first movie in Rivendel. Acording to PJ's timeline he was 27 years old during that time, and not 10 as in the books. People seem to forget that LOTR movies skiped 17 years... People just like to bitch about everything nowdays.
first of all, I am not "bitching" about anything, I am expressing my god damn opinion about something I did not like. And have every god damn right not to like it. I did not say, as you imply, that PJ should have stuck to the books literally, I said that all of the things he added were not necessary and that I had a feeling he did so just to be able to make longer movies. I don't mind changing the story a bit, or making it A BIT longer, I said 3 movies 3 hours long are too much. And they are. In the first movie you have about 20 minutes showing mountains and landscape, which is all very nice, but come on. I said,and I still think it, that he could have easily made just 2 equally good movies without trying to expand the story to fit the hours. And no, I did not expect him to make a children's movie just because the book is a fairytale. And I am still glad Vigo didn't want to play Aragon again because I just don't see how he's relevant to the story. And when it comes to the timeline, I am not one of those fans that bitch about how old was someone or where was he/she at the time, because I don't care, I love the story because of the message, the characters, the emotions it sends, so I don't really care if Aragorn was 10, 12 of 12456 years old or if he could or could not be there. The point still is that 3 movies are, IN MY OPINION, too much, and are too long, like all the other movies today (which don't last less then 2 hours) and it was unnecessary to make 3 god damn movies just so that we can say, "oh, but it's epic, it's a trilogy".