Femininity and Sexuality in Metal

scroogles

For John Stuart Mill alone you get a Horns Up. It is interesting: I remember that in Dante's Inferno people who gave and received blowjobs burned in hell alongside the adulterous and promiscuous. Not really sure how Biblical that is...anyhow, like I said on the other thread, pedophilia seems to be inherently predatory in some regard, but that does still leave incest.
I'm not sure where this notion came from, but it's one that's still acknowledged in many parts of the world today. Even here in the US, states that still have "sodomy" on their books as being illegal define sodomy not only as anal sex, but also oral sex. I'm not sure exactly where they got this notion, as "sodomy" is derived from the "sin of Sodom", and I don't recall any specifics being given regarding sex acts. In fact, since in many religious texts angels are androgynous, it would seem much more reasonable to assume that the "sin of Sodom" would be rape in general.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"sodomy" is derived from the "sin of Sodom"' date=' and I don't recall any specifics being given regarding sex acts. In fact, since in many religious texts angels are androgynous, it would seem much more reasonable to assume that the "sin of Sodom" would be rape in general.[/quote'] That is the general consensus among Biblical scholars too. I suppose another thing worth asking is: does the 'American prudishness' that Europeans remark upon exist? I've heard it said that Americans in particular don't really mind seeing the most savage and gruesome violence, but anything even mildly sexual augurs a severe backlash. is this actually true, and if so, why?

While I've never been to Europe, the difference between what is displayed in their movies and TV shows seems to suggest that. You can see bodies being autopsied in detail on prime time TV in the US, but you'd better not say "fuck" or feature a non-graphic sex scene. I'm not saying that Europe necessarily has it all figured out, but their rate of violent and sexual crimes is much lower than ours.

I don't live in the US so I can't comment specifically on the attitude there however this is also a remark made about Britain and Australia. I suppose it stems from a less sexualised culture in which certain stigmas are attached to the promiscous (don't think I spelled that correctly), the homosexual, relationships where one party is older then the other and so on. European countries seem to be more socially accepting of some but not all unusual sexual practices so these labels do not necessarily apply, I think it would be less common for women to be called "sluts", homosexuals to be called any number of things or older women seeking younger partnesrs to be called "cougars"

I don't live in the US so I can't comment specifically on the attitude there however this is also a remark made about Britain and Australia. I suppose it stems from a less sexualised culture in which certain stigmas are attached to the promiscous (don't think I spelled that correctly)' date=' the homosexual, relationships where one party is older then the other and so on. European countries seem to be more socially accepting of some but not all unusual sexual practices so these labels do not necessarily apply, I think it would be less common for women to be called "sluts", homosexuals to be called any number of things or older women seeking younger partnesrs to be called "cougars"[/quote'] Once they get too old to be called "cougars", they become "turkey vultures". They still possess the instinct to hunt, but lack the strength and skill to take down anything but weak prey. Sorry, I'm always that guy that derails the thread with an attempt at humor.

You can see bodies being autopsied in detail on prime time TV in the US' date=' but you'd better not say "fuck" or feature a non-graphic sex scene.[/quote'] The show 1000 Ways To Die always baffled me...I had no idea why that show was on during the day.

I have to use a lot of condition, but I also have a shitload of hair. I try to only wash my hair once or twice a week, but condition it every day. The downside to how thick and strong it is is that when it does fall out, it gets everywhere and is virtually impossible to get rid of. I have to cut my hair out of my vacuum cleaner's axle/roller frequently, it gets wound up in there and jams it up to where it stops spinning. It's also a bitch to get out of shower drains, but I still don't think I'll ever go back to having short hair, unless I go bald or something.

Funny how this thread got very non-Deep and Meaningful really quickly...:D I was actually able to find out a bit more on it. My roommate did a paper on homosexuality and pedophilia in Ming Dynasty China and the pedophilia in question was actually fairly limited in that the subjects were usually either past or undergoing puberty. It was still considered immoral to attempt sexual relations with anyone younger than that.

Funny how this thread got very non-Deep and Meaningful really quickly...:D I was actually able to find out a bit more on it. My roommate did a paper on homosexuality and pedophilia in Ming Dynasty China and the pedophilia in question was actually fairly limited in that the subjects were usually either past or undergoing puberty. It was still considered immoral to attempt sexual relations with anyone younger than that.
Both practices were also popular in Japan. Courtesans were fairly popular, and at the request of the solicitor, they would bring young boys along to "join in the fun", or possibly even arrive without the female courtesan. Personally, I prefer women to be curvy in nature, and this something that typically doesn't happen until well after puberty, usually close to the age of consent, so even if puberty were reached and you felt that they could give consent at that point, why would you want somebody less developed? I mean, as a 14 year old I was having sex with a 14 year old, but it's not as though I could have stood a chance with an older and more developed girl at that age. I'm definitely not complaining, as when you're 14 the particulars aren't that important and it's awesome either way, but it's nowhere near the fun you can have once age ripens the body and you have some experience under your belt to explore with.

Both practices were also popular in Japan. Courtesans were fairly popular' date=' and at the request of the solicitor, they would bring young boys along to "join in the fun", or possibly even arrive without the female courtesan. Personally, I prefer women to be curvy in nature, and this something that typically doesn't happen until well after puberty, usually close to the age of consent, so even if puberty were reached and you felt that they could give consent at that point, why would you want somebody less developed? I mean, as a 14 year old I was having sex with a 14 year old, but it's not as though I could have stood a chance with an older and more developed girl at that age. I'm definitely not complaining, as when you're 14 the particulars aren't that important and it's awesome either way, but it's nowhere near the fun you can have once age ripens the body and you have [b']some experience under your belt to explore with.
Ahh haa haa. I remember something else from his paper; the boys were usually rather feminine in appearance and ostensibly the attraction was the androgyny of pre-pubescenece. Definitely not something I can wrap my brain around very easily, as I have a similar metric for beauty. Here's another sexual topic to discuss: why is it so common for people to say 'all women are beautiful', or the much more stupid variant 'all people are beautiful'? Is that not contradicting the fundamental maxim of taste 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'?

I never really understood that myself. I have a particular idea of what I consider a beautiful woman to look like. I'm lucky in the sense that many of the girls I hang around at uni meet this idea and are actually very intelligent. I find it interesting how the idea of beauty has changed with time. For example in middle ages Japan to be thin was not considered beautiful and larger women were preferred as it showcased how "well-to-do" they were. Now there is an obsession in society to be thinner then the person next to you and as a consequence we see people behaving in a fashion detrimental to their well being and all in the name of beauty.

Re: Sexuality I haven't had sex, but I am far from a complete loser XD I had my first kiss when I was about 10 I think, and have had many since :) I have had a relationship with 3 Girls, they lasted a few months each but because of the last couple of years I went through ALOT of depression and anxiety problems, only this year and the end of last year I have got myself back together and feel great :) I wouldnt change myself at all , so all i need to do now is find the right girl :)

I never really understood that myself. I have a particular idea of what I consider a beautiful woman to look like. I'm lucky in the sense that many of the girls I hang around at uni meet this idea and are actually very intelligent. I find it interesting how the idea of beauty has changed with time. For example in middle ages Japan to be thin was not considered beautiful and larger women were preferred as it showcased how "well-to-do" they were. Now there is an obsession in society to be thinner then the person next to you and as a consequence we see people behaving in a fashion detrimental to their well being and all in the name of beauty.
Usually the sentiment I describe is a reaction to that mindset. Something I find interesting is that runway models are just thin. They rarely even have features that most men profess to finding attractive, but it makes sense. The runway model is a canvas. Their entire career is centered around objectification, but it's not that they're even showing off what they've got. As a matter of fact, they serve as a template for the imagination of various fashion designers, so for them to have as little in the way of a body (so as to lend a greater spotlight to the clothing) makes sense. But seriously, that's no excuse for this. Why continue to tell an ugly person that they're beautiful when they're not? Beautiful is a word with a specific meaning in the English language, but it has been so badly misused that nobody really remembers what it means anymore. Not all women are beautiful, not by a long shot. Not all men are handsome; as a metalhead, I should know this. The female singer from Diablo Swing Orchestra is no hottie - the point is, she's a talented musician so people love that about her. The idea of fat=wealthy is still alive and kicking. It's fairly common down in New Mexico - and Mexico itself, for that matter.
I haven't had sex' date=' but I am far from a complete loser XD[/quote'] I'm 20 and I've never even been on a date. Frame your anxieties with that perspective.

I think that the whole obsession with being this started when people were going crazy over health concerns. However, there is a very distinct difference between being healthy and being able to see your rib cage. Runway models aren't healthy, they subsist on diets of drugs and tiny meals, and most of them still have a pretty high percentage of fat, as it's their lean body mass that they're destroying with their obsessive cardio habits and lack of nutrition. Some girls are naturally thin, but the ones that take it too far usually do so out of insecurity, and they're usually not as fun or adventurous sexually in that case anyway, so even with the lights out I don't see the appeal.