What's on your mind?

Apoc

You know it would be nice to hear something, ANYTHING, from the jobs you're applying for at some point. How hard can it be to program a generic mass response email to everyone you're not asking for an interview? I mean they do that for the people they WANT to interview don't they? Hmm perhaps I should have started this post in the rant thread...

Get used to that, they're too lazy to contact people they aren't hiring. I know your educational situation is peculiar, but I'd recommend asking about research assistant positions from any professors you like. It's worked out for me so far, I got absolutely bugger-all from pretty much every other place to which I've ever applied.

Get used to that, they're too lazy to contact people they aren't hiring. I know your educational situation is peculiar, but I'd recommend asking about research assistant positions from any professors you like. It's worked out for me so far, I got absolutely bugger-all from pretty much every other place to which I've ever applied.

I did enquire about Justicenet - a program for law students which is purely voluntary and similar in nature to an internship. Unfortunately they only take current law students and my preclusion (which I still don't understand) means I am not a current law student thus I am not eligible.

Yes indeed that would be cool Natassja though FA is likely to be disappointed upon learning the cuisine is French not Australian.

More exercises to help create a mental picture both of the fretboard and of the space between strings. I don't mind since they really are helping. Fortunately there's also the whole relearning War Pigs thing (yay for finally finishing the first solo) so I can enjoy a practical application of those skills. Enjoying my guitar playing more now then ever before and that's saying a lot because I've always loved playing.

Insomnia:2

Me: 0

ive been having severe trouble sleeping lately as well, even while taking melatonin at night.  the most i can get is a 1-2 hour nap at a time. wearin me pretty fucking thin to be honest.

my plans to catch Neurosis this weekend are off the table, my dad decided to take an impromptu trip to pittsburgh which subsequently ended his relationship with his girlfriend (we're much more alike than I'd like to admit) so I have to stay in town to take care of his dog. But i decided to use the remainder of the week to isolate myself a bit and spend some time just taking care of things that i've been wanting to do. Planning to translate some recent writings into some music, take my dog out for the day, and try out a couple recipes I've picked up. Hopefully the inevitable chaos that is my life here stays to a minimum

Sucks that you have to miss Neurosis, but it's cool that you'll have time to yourself. I'd suggest taking a nap, but if you're anything like me you can't nap either... I've been missing a ton of shows lately, in fact I'm missing one now, but if I don't get some sleep I'm going to get sick. I'm glad I got to go to the museum today, though. And I'm looking forward to taking my kid to go walk around the woods later this week.

It's been about two weeks without coffee for me now, and it seems like that weird blind spot in my right eye is finally starting to go away. Good news!

That's great FA. I've had my first decent night's sleep for about a week (see previous posts re nightmares). Slept for 12 hours which is double what I normally get. It's cold, windy, and raining but I don't care 'cause I'm catching up with my girl for lunch and it's gonna be a blast as always.

I got my AS-level results today:

Biology C

Design Technology C

Environmental studies A

Chemistry E

Pretty crap, but what's most annoying is that I was literally 0.6% off a B in Biology and 1.2% a B in Technology. I knew I did dreadful in chemistry anyway and I will probably be dropping it, but it is still a pain in the arse.

I got my AS-level results today:

Biology C

Design Technology C

Environmental studies A

Chemistry E

Pretty crap, but what's most annoying is that I was literally 0.6% off a B in Biology and 1.2% a B in Technology. I knew I did dreadful in chemistry anyway and I will probably be dropping it, but it is still a pain in the arse.

You got an A in Enviro. studies though :)  well done anyway.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies