What's on your mind?

Apoc

I'm not just talking out of my ass here
I'm well aware of that. Two of my uncles and my grandfather were military men too.
I do know that soldiers have less choice in what they do as they are literally property of the government' date=' as opposed to employees,[/quote'] Well, I know police are not federal so I know they can't be property of the government. Still, I would assume police officers are as bound to obey the law as soldiers. Not sure if that is actually the case though. Why is this the case?

Doing well, finally got caught up on sleep last night. We had some Valentine's Day sushi and sashimi last night, which was just delicious, and took turns with Winter throughout the night. We didn't get up until 1:30 PM, so needless to say I feel very refreshed. She's a sweet baby, doesn't get upset over much, and if she does, it's never for long. It's been a pretty awesome experience, despite all of the negatives of the hospital and the most incompetent hospital staff imaginable. She hasn't started gaining weight yet, which her pediatrician was concerned about, but I'm not surprised. They put her on antibiotics for pneumonia, which doctors don't realize wipes out your digestive bacteria too, and she hasn't been off of them long enough to make up the difference. In any case, we're just happy to have her home and complete our family. Our dogs both adore her, so it's just been a really happy atmosphere at the house. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
It's such an amazing feeling getting them back home! Nothing else compares to that. I'm sorry you had such a negative experience at the hospital. Ours was surprisingly positive, they took very good care of us and gave us a private room for my wife's recovery. We had a scare the first week, when our son hadn't put on enough weight - the midwife had us make an emergency visit to the pediatrician. It turned out to be a matter of improving our breastfeeding technique. But anyway, he was fine. Medical professionals have to be concerned about that sort of thing, but it doesn't mean there's anything to worry about. Great news that you've got a big happy family now. Congratulations!

Re: What's on your mind?

I'm well aware of that. Two of my uncles and my grandfather were military men too. Well, I know police are not federal so I know they can't be property of the government. Still, I would assume police officers are as bound to obey the law as soldiers. Not sure if that is actually the case though. Why is this the case? That's good to hear. My general point is that it was a quick way for someone to avoid a slog through academia to get recognition for their career choice.
What branches were your relatives? Most of my family that has served has been army, and most of my distaste for the military has come from my grandpa getting fucked over by them after giving them 22 years of his life. He was exposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam and was stationed in Dugway, UT at a chemical weapons base, most people in either situation ended up with cancer because of them. He was also promised health coverage for life because of his long service, and this was revoked by the government a year before that cancer killed him. Of course, police are bound to the same laws, but these laws and procedures are easier to be bent and broken on patrol by yourself or with a partner, as opposed be being in a larger unit with direct authority with you while you're in the field. A work associate's son just left the army, and he told us about how their unit's leader directed and led them in mass murder of women and children in the Middle East. In the presence of good leadership, this wouldn't happen and would be met with hefty consequences if it did, but police don't have that direct oversight as a deterrent. Police can get away with things like skimming drugs and money off of arrestees (a scandal just broke out over this in West Valley, UT a few months ago), lying about probable cause, illegal searches, etc... because of this, but assault, rape, and murder charges are harder to dodge within the community. Yes, people still join both for the wrong reasons (the high school standard was implemented when applications overflowed during the economic downturn), and this tends to be the root of most issues they have. Both could definitely use more screening and oversight to quell corruption, as both too often get away with far too much. One thing that needs to be drilled into these people (politicians as well) is that they are public servants, your purpose should be navigated by that and not by selfish desires. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm having a good laugh about how seriously some AFL supporters take the pre-season competition. All I'm going to say is when you field close to your best team, your opposition leaves out 12 of their best players, and you win it doesn't mean much. Funny though that when you point that out you're a "sore loser"

I do love videos of kids bopping around to metal music' date=' it's adorable.[/quote'] It really is. I never remember to get my phone ready, so I always "miss" the moment, but I don't like the distance that comes with recording something rather than just being a part of it. I love how much my son enjoys music in general, and I just hope it's an enjoyment I can foster, rather than crush. My parents were great about it when I was growing up.

My dads side of the family has scottish ancestry but I'm just making it for fun :D
Well, the joke was that only the Scottish would be so desperate for alcohol intake that they'd make jelly with whiskey in it. Then again, I absolutely adore rum balls so I can't talk.