What Are You Listening To?

khaos

The Mission - Wasteland. Good goth band. Always liked the bass on this. Bit like The Sisters of Mercy - Marian but then two members of the Mission are from the Sisters of Mercy.
I could never get into them. I like the Sisters, and as lame of a person as Eldritch is, a lot of my appreciation of them had to do with his voice. The Mission just sounded weak and uninspired to me. Have you heard The Merry Thoughts? They're very "Sisters"-y... another CD you might enjoy is Diabolique's "The Black Flower", though I can't recommend any of their other stuff.

Love that album. Two of my favorite songs of them are on it: Teargas and The Future of Speech.
Chrome, Dispossession, and The Future Of Speech are my favorites on there, Teargas never really did it for me. Sulfur and March 4 from the Teargas single are two of their best songs IMO. One of the dates they opened for Opeth, they played Chrome into We Must Bury You just like on the album, except it sounded so much better with live drums... :) I never thought they would play that, I was thrilled.

Jup' date=' Chrome and Dispossion are great too :) I haven't checked the Teargas single though, but it's the second disc on my Last Fair Deal Gone Down edition, so I'll give it a spin right now. And fucking Opeth and Katatonia touring together? :shock:[/quote'] Oh man, definitely listen to those tracks, I love them. They're both a little bit outside what Katatonia normally does. Sulfur in particular is just beautiful. I've seen them perform together three times, twice when they did back-to-back nights here in NYC. Unfortunately Opeth was only playing "soft" stuff for those shows, and they played the same set both nights, but Katatonia mixed it up a bit and played the best that I've ever seen them. Awesome... awesome...

Oh man' date=' definitely listen to those tracks, I love them. They're both a little bit outside what Katatonia normally does. Sulfur in particular is just beautiful. I've seen them perform together three times, twice when they did back-to-back nights here in NYC. Unfortunately Opeth was only playing "soft" stuff for those shows, and they played the same set both nights, but Katatonia mixed it up a bit and played the best that I've ever seen them. Awesome... awesome...[/quote'] Sulfur just passed, and indeed: beautiful track. I've never managed to see Katatonia live. Well, not a full show. They played last november here together with Paradise Lost, but we lost our way to the venue, so we arrived when Katatonia was almost done. And they played Viva Emptiness entirely :(

Sulfur just passed, and indeed: beautiful track. I've never managed to see Katatonia live. Well, not a full show. They played last november here together with Paradise Lost, but we lost our way to the venue, so we arrived when Katatonia was almost done. And they played Viva Emptiness entirely :(
They're hit and miss, I've seen them I think five or six times and they flat-out sucked the first two shows. Jonas sounded terrible, he was hoarse and out of breath, the guitar sound wasn't solid... the only really consistent guy on stage was their drummer, so sorry he had to step down. They improved a lot by the time I saw them with Opeth, though the older stuff is still my favorite and it's a shame to me that everything pre-Viva Emptiness gets ignored these days. That's why I was so happy to see them hit a couple of great tracks from Last Fair Deal.

They're hit and miss' date=' I've seen them I think five or six times and they flat-out sucked the first two shows. Jonas sounded terrible, he was hoarse and out of breath, the guitar sound wasn't solid... the only really consistent guy on stage was their drummer, so sorry he had to step down. They improved a lot by the time I saw them with Opeth, though the older stuff is still my favorite and it's a shame to me that everything pre-Viva Emptiness gets ignored these days. That's why I was so happy to see them hit a couple of great tracks from Last Fair Deal.[/quote'] I caught the two last songs of the show with Paradise Lost I attended, and my impression from that was that I missed a great show. So I think they've indeed improved the last year, although I can't really confirm that. And I guess the reason that they mostly ignore their first albums, is that Jonas isn't able to grunt anymore. Although I don't get it why they ignore Tonight's Decision and Last Fair Deal Gone Down, especially Last Fair Deal Gone Down is a pretty great album. Btw: have you ever heard of this live-album? https://www.burningshed.com/store/peaceville/product/261/4701/ They played Last Fair Deal Gone Down entirely and even some older songs. Too bad it's only available on vinyl.

I caught the two last songs of the show with Paradise Lost I attended, and my impression from that was that I missed a great show. So I think they've indeed improved the last year, although I can't really confirm that. And I guess the reason that they mostly ignore their first albums, is that Jonas isn't able to grunt anymore. Although I don't get it why they ignore Tonight's Decision and Last Fair Deal Gone Down, especially Last Fair Deal Gone Down is a pretty great album. Btw: have you ever heard of this live-album? https://www.burningshed.com/store/peaceville/product/261/4701/ They played Last Fair Deal Gone Down entirely and even some older songs. Too bad it's only available on vinyl.
That set looks great! I don't have the money, space, or time for a turntable and a vinyl collection... bummer. Even now they're inconsistent. I have no idea how they'll sound with their new members, but I wish them all the best. The lineup they had for Dead End Kings was their best touring lineup. I have seen them play Murder once or twice, though Jonas really wasn't up to par on the growls, but I was talking more about the material from Discouraged Ones and Tonight's Decision. I have a selfish wish that they'd do a set just from those albums; that's probably still my favorite sound of theirs.

Katatonia - Last Fair Day Gone Night. Found some online, it sounds pretty good, nice production values for live recording. I miss the beefy guitar sound from the album, though. Edit - even with the sort of weak growls, the live version of "Brave" sounds fucking killer. Really dark, nice texture, almost a doomier feel than the studio version if that's possible.

I could never get into them. I like the Sisters' date=' and as lame of a person as Eldritch is, a lot of my appreciation of them had to do with his voice. The Mission just sounded weak and uninspired to me. Have you heard The Merry Thoughts? They're very "Sisters"-y... another CD you might enjoy is Diabolique's "The Black Flower", though I can't recommend any of their other stuff.[/quote'] Yeah I agree to be honest about The Mission. I find their other songs abit... weak like you say. Not really my cup of tea apart from 'Wasteland' which is good I find because of the strong bass on that song. I haven't listened to much of Sisters of Mercy tbh but I like their sound so far. I'll check out The Merry Thoughts thanks! :)

NP: Rush - Permanent Waves

Yeah I agree to be honest about The Mission. I find their other songs abit... weak like you say. Not really my cup of tea apart from 'Wasteland' which is good I find because of the strong bass on that song. I haven't listened to much of Sisters of Mercy tbh but I like their sound so far. I'll check out The Merry Thoughts thanks! :)
Cheers, hope you dig them. If you're not too familiar with Sisters, make sure to hear all of First, Last, And Always - them at their best as a "real band" - and Floodland, basically a solo Eldritch album, really moody and keyboard-driven. The Some Girls Wander By Mistake compilation has most of their old stuff; the songs "Alice" and "Heartland", and their cover of "Gimme Shelter", are pretty great.