What Are You Listening To?

khaos

1 hour ago, markm said:

Trying to keep up a bit more this year, going through some of the usual blogs to see what's what. I do tend to go for the anointed ones or at least albums with some 'net momentum rather than random searching through the wilderness. Streaming  a tiny fraction the continual steamroll of releases looking for gold is pretty hit and miss with me, but this week finding some promise:

Dodsrit -Nocturnal Will-Big fan of these guys-simple but effective melodic black metal, doom influence and crust punk-Today, the entire album was available to stream-I tend to be over enthusiastic about stuff I like, so it would be a mistake for me to beat my chest with AOTY claims before more time spent. I'd need to go back and really compare but have a sense this album sacrifices a wee tad of crust aggression for melodic black with flirtations with post metal, but when these guys hit their stride, it's jaw dropping. This feels pretty great.

Spectral Voice/Sparagmos-somehow missed their debut-but this strokes my soft spot for doom death or death doom as the case may be with gnarly atmosphere and I absolutely am a atmos guy...maybe one dimensional, not sure yet

Early Moods/A Sinner's Past-traditional old school doom basically, done reasonably well, less enthusiastic about this one as I listen to much more hard doom today than Pentagram, and modern clean doom is oft to mamsy pamsy for me, but  doom in various presentations is absolutely one of my favorite genres and this deserves another listen or two. 

i’m in a similar boat, trying to stay on top of new releases this year, unfortunately, one of the sources I was using is now permabanned from YT which doesn’t help.

NP: Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

Lawnmower Deth - Oh Crikey It's...Lawnmower Deth

Who the hell are Lawnmower Deth? Is that a real band? What are they Lawnmowercore? Or like crossover thrash I'll guess? And I'll assume "Crikey" means they're Aussies? I must've missed them somewhere along the line. I almost want to search up a video but I'm pretty sure I'd be bittterly disappointed.

Angelus Tenebris - The Darkness of the Soul, Paraguay. Shitty rainy Saturday afternoon here, I slept most of the day away then looked at my phone for a couple of hours and now at 4pm I'm having my morning coffee and will see if I can find something interesting to listen to. Clicked on this one for the cover. I love big old empty abandoned buildings.

…and yet, somehow he thinks one in three black metal bands. Have stupider names then fuckiyet, somehow he thinks one in three black metal bands have stupider names then fucking Lawnmowerdeth? I think his advanced age is catching up with him…

I think his advanced age is catching up with him.…

NP: Blood Duster - C*ntng

NP: Cryptworm - Oozing Radioactive Vomition

▶︎ Oozing Radioactive Vomition | Cryptworm | Me Saco Un Ojo Records (bandcamp.com)

a0561629121_10.jpg

Honestly pretty middle of the road for having such a cool name and cover art. Definitely some non-Gothenberg Swedish influence (Entombed, Gorement, etc.) in the overall sound. Might hit the spot tomorrow or the day after since I do like a ton of this sort of thing, but today it just isn't working for me.

49 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

…and yet, somehow he thinks one in three black metal bands have stupider names than fucking Lawnmowerdeth? I think his advanced age is catching up with him…

NP: Blood Duster - Cunt

Well he says he's a year younger than me, so I'm not sure if that's it. He's just a farmer who likes some dumb joke bands. And that's cool, nothing wrong with that, I like some goofy punk and grindcore stuff myself. I think Orca's problem is the extreme Aussie heat combined with the constant methane fumes from the cow shit he's been breathing for so many years that have affected his brain.

29 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

NP: Cryptworm - Oozing Radioactive Vomition

Honestly pretty middle of the road for having such a cool name and cover art. Definitely some non-Gothenberg Swedish influence (Entombed, Gorement, etc.) in the overall sound. Might hit the spot tomorrow or the day after since I do like a ton of this sort of thing, but today it just isn't working for me.

Well it's working for me. I haven't spent much time with Cryptworm (Bristol, UK) I'm aware of them, but they only have two full lengths out, '22 & '23. This wouldn't have made my end of year top 25 death metal albums list for '23, "middle of the road"s about right, but still it's sounding pretty good to me here this arvo, I'm enjoying the gurgly vox.

57 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Well it's working for me.

Yeah. Probably just a case of just not hitting that particular mood for me today. We'll be back on the Scandinavian death train soon enough, though. Immediately after that I did manage to get on the same frequency as some Australian black metal so after a little course correction I'm good.

NP: Pestilential Shadows - Devil's Hammer

Devil's Hammer | Pestilential Shadows (bandcamp.com)

a0587599277_10.jpg

It's making want to go back and dig up some Cirith Gorgor for some reason.

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Who the hell are Lawnmower Deth? Is that a real band? What are they Lawnmowercore? Or like crossover thrash I'll guess? And I'll assume "Crikey" means they're Aussies? I must've missed them somewhere along the line. I almost want to search up a video but I'm pretty sure I'd be bittterly disappointed.

They were around in the 80's and 90's, then came back a few years ago, they are Poms, and no you wont like them.

Grave Upheaval/The Funeral Orchestra - Inexistentia split, death/doom 2022 Australia/Sweden.  Members of Portal, Impetuous Ritual, Runemagick, Gravfraktal. Like this a lot better than any of their main bands. Although the riffs might be bit simplistic even for me.

Necrowretch - Swords of Dajjal, France. Haven't been a huge fan of these Frenchies, their albums have been somewhat hit or miss for me. But this new one's not too bad 5 minutes in. More of a straight up black metal affair this time out.

37 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Necrowretch - Swords of Dajjal, France. Haven't been a huge fan of these Frenchies, their albums have been somewhat hit or miss for me. But this new one's not too bad 5 minutes in. More of a straight up black metal affair this time out.

I've come back to this several times. I agree it's solid black metal, but not necessarily mandatory listening. Kind of a fence sitter. 

33 minutes ago, markm said:

I've come back to this several times. I agree it's solid black metal, but not necessarily mandatory listening. Kind of a fence sitter. 

Yeah, I didn't even make it all the way til the end. I listened to about 25 minutes of it, and there was nothing wrong with it really, it just didn't grab me or excite me in any way, and I just got bored. Doubt I'll be coming back to this one.

NP: Azaghal - Valo Pohjoisesta, 2018. Looks like nothing new is going to sound good to me tonight, so I might have to resort to some tried and true shit. When in doubt look to Finland, that's my motto Holmes.

Diaboli - Pagan Gods Rise, 2022, I remember playing the shit out of this one when it came out two years ago. Pete has yet to disappoint me in 30 years of making albums.