What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Bandcamp Friday

1.  New
  2. New

Some old and new. 

I liked the Scorn one although it veered into tech death territory sometimes the dilution of which a capricious blackened veteran wouldn't like.

27 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

Bandcamp Friday

1.  New
  2. New

Some old and new. 

I liked the Scorn one although it veered into tech death territory sometimes the dilution of which a capricious blackened veteran wouldn't like.

Thanks for the disclaimer Jon! Now tell me what is up with this Godspeed You Black Emperor? I've heard the name before but they're from out of the metal world so I'm really not familiar. Threw on the Fawlty Towers one and it's like ambient background music, is the whole thing like this, or is this some kind of extended intro? I hear discordant orchestra instruments making silly noises like they're warming up, haven't actually started yet. But now the track is over. I'm thinking there aren't any vocals here, amirite? When would we want to listen to something like this? Sounds like some chill wind-down music for the long train ride home after one of your tech death or hipster doom gigs up in the midlands.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Thanks for the disclaimer Jon! Now tell me what is up with this Godspeed You Black Emperor? I've heard the name before but they're from out of the metal world so I'm really not familiar. Threw on the Fawlty Towers one and it's like ambient background music, is the whole thing like this, or is this some kind of extended intro? I hear discordant orchestra instruments making silly noises like they're warming up, haven't actually started yet. But now the track is over. I'm thinking there aren't any vocals here, amirite? When would we want to listen to something like this? Sounds like some chill wind-down music for the long train ride home after one of your tech death or hipster doom gigs up in the midlands.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor: I never thought about it being outside the metal world too much because the name is pretty metal. But it's a fair cop that musically it is beyond the edge of the metal spectrum.

I picked these up for nostalgia's sake. At least a decade ago I really enjoyed "Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada" at the recommendation of my drummer...but then, he likes some weird shit. It is very ambient. The first track is somewhat conventional. The second track is a spoken word piece set to music and I find it quite cathartic. I do recommend this album for something different. I only heard the Fawlty Towers one today. I'd need to really dig in to make comment. You can call that an impulse buy. It could be that every other album than Zero Kanada is shit, I don't know yet.

I suppose you'd call this stuff experimental and not at all what I'd normally go for (not exactly Hell Bent for Leather) but I could listen to it all day...as chill wind down music.

For the record, I've never been to a hipster doom gig in the midlands. The only hipster doom gig that stands out is seeing Pallbearer in Auckland 6 years ago. And, I shit you not, I have not listened to that band once since that day. The second guitarist was a dick to the soundman and I wrote them off after that. No great loss.

oooo. One album I got recently, that you might dig, is this one:

Ψευδομένη | Ὁπλίτης (bandcamp.com)

That was a recommendation from the buddy when we compared notes on my current favourite BM band: Weigedood.

From the incomprehensible band name and description it is designed to be as inaccessible as possible. Gotta respect that.

2 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor: I never thought about it being outside the metal world too much because the name is pretty metal. But it's a fair cop that musically it is beyond the edge of the metal spectrum.

I picked these up for nostalgia's sake. At least a decade ago I really enjoyed "Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada" at the recommendation of my drummer...but then, he likes some weird shit. It is very ambient. The first track is somewhat conventional. The second track is a spoken word piece set to music and I find it quite cathartic. I do recommend this album for something different. I only heard the Fawlty Towers one today. I'd need to really dig in to make comment. You can call that an impulse buy. It could be that every other album than Zero Kanada is shit, I don't know yet.

I suppose you'd call this stuff experimental and not at all what I'd normally go for (not exactly Hell Bent for Leather) but I could listen to it all day...as chill wind down music.

For the record, I've never been to a hipster doom gig in the midlands. The only hipster doom gig that stands out is seeing Pallbearer in Auckland 6 years ago. And, I shit you not, I have not listened to that band once since that day. The second guitarist was a dick to the soundman and I wrote them off after that. No great loss.

oooo. One album I got recently, that you might dig, is this one:

Ψευδομένη | Ὁπλίτης (bandcamp.com)

That was a recommendation from the buddy when we compared notes on my current favourite BM band: Weigedood.

From the incomprehensible band name and description it is designed to be as inaccessible as possible. Gotta respect that.

1245.jpg

Wasn't trying to besmirch the band or gatekeep them by saying they're not metal, I thought it was generally accepted that they're post-rock. I mean they don't even wear bullet belts FFS. The cello to bullet belt ratio is not favorable if they were trying to be a metal band. I was just offering their non metal status as an explanation of why I wasn't familiar with their music. I played the Fawlty Towers one all the way through earlier and thought it was pretty cool. Not rush out and buy up all their albums cool, but I'm now willing to try the Kanadian Riot one. There's a time and a place for something like this in a goat's life.

My 'hipster doom in the midlands' was a combo reference to your being stuck at Crewe station in anticipation of a train that's never coming, (which is where I always picture you now when you're not toiling away at your desk) and I worked in a mention of your professed love for Inter Arma, a hipster doom band from Richmond Virginia, which seems to be the capitol of mid-Atlantic eastern seaboard hipsterdom. Inter Arma is the default band I imagine you listening to over there in Milky Beans any time you haven't specifically stated otherwise. Pallbearer is unbearable hipster garbage. Inter Arma might have some redeeming qualities, hard to remember it's been so long since I checked them out. But they're clearly hipsters, look, lots of beards, no bullet belts.

inter-arma-1.jpg?w=980&q=75

19 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

My 'hipster doom in the midlands' was a combo reference to your being stuck at Crewe station in anticipation of a train that's never coming, (which is where I always picture you now when you're not toiling away at your desk) and I worked in a mention of your professed love for Inter Arma, a hipster doom band from Richmond Virginia, which seems to be the capitol of mid-Atlantic eastern seaboard hipsterdom. Inter Arma is the default band I imagine you listening to over there in Milky Beans any time you haven't specifically stated otherwise. Pallbearer is unbearable hipster garbage. Inter Arma might have some redeeming qualities, hard to remember it's been so long since I checked them out. But they're clearly hipsters, look, lots of beards, no bullet belts.

Oh. I didn't realise Inter Arma were hipster. They wear socks and have ungroomed beards.

The only other band I knew or cared about from Richmond was Gwar. I am aware that Lamb of God is from Richmond, but they're not hipster are they? Is "mainstream normie metal" synonymous with "hipster" now? If only Dead were here to tell us.

Deafheaven developed the archetypal hipster image in metal which seemed somewhat justified because they looked like floppy haired indie kids playing black metal. Although, I associate the term "hipster" with style over substance. The first few Deafheaven albums I really like (being decidedly neither grim nor necro), until they fell off a cliff with the last one. Inter Arma are still bringing it, but I don't get the vibe they care about their image.

Also, Jono don't do "toiling." I'm afraid the protestant work ethic passed me by. 

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Depopulation Department - Another War Victim, 2023 Crust Punk, Spain

Negative Prayer - SELF//WOUND, this is going to be my album for February. So awesome, I can't get enough.

....WhiteNoise....I agree....that NEGATIVE PRAYER slaps.....

....this ain't no slouch either......

LEFT CROSS - Upon Desecrated Altars

NP: Far Beyond - A Frozen Flame of Ice

▶︎ A Frozen Flame Of Ice | Far Beyond (bandcamp.com)

a3740414095_10.jpg

You know, I occasionally need a reminder not to be so closed off to clean vocals when perusing metal on the extreme end. Doubly so for melodic death metal. Every so often I stumble onto a band that wins me over in spite of my negative impression of other bands doing much the same thing.

Clean singing in metal where it's usually absent is often very flimsy. The cleans here are definitely of the character and quality I would expect of a Dark Tranquility or their ilk, and they make liberal use of them. The thing is the guitar solos (oh yeah, they also use traditional guitar solos in abundance, and they're equally impressive) and grandiose nature of the music keeps them from sounding out of place as so many clean vocal lines do. They also avoid both the falsetto alternating power-ish melodic hooks, and the sort of low limited range mumbling some bands seem to like. They opt instead for martial military beats more suited to the baritone. The full vocal harmonies are also well executed, most often going for matching three harmonized voices when they crop up; so full chords instead of two voice harmonies. It's not perfect by any means, but it's good enough to constitute a stand-out sound for me.

12 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Bandcamp Friday

1.  New
  2. New

Some old and new. 

Great call with that Nevermore album!  "This Godless Endeavor" is my favorite from them, although "Dead Heart in a Dead World" and "Politics of Ecstasy" aren't far behind it.  Dane had a unique voice - such a shame that we lost him so soon.

4 hours ago, JamesT said:

Great call with that Nevermore album!  "This Godless Endeavor" is my favorite from them, although "Dead Heart in a Dead World" and "Politics of Ecstasy" aren't far behind it.  Dane had a unique voice - such a shame that we lost him so soon.

I always felt that by the time Nevermore got to This Godless Endeavor, which is for sure some of their strongest material, Dane's voice was sort of shot. Still a good album, though. Somebody just should've told Dane he wasn't playing the lead in a Dracula cabaret.

4 hours ago, JamesT said:

I'll have to listen to This Godless Endeavor again. You've suddenly made me want to. And also The Obsidian Conspiracy.

I put The Politics of Ecstasy and Dead Heart in a Dead World on a pedestal, but I have to admit that I started to lose interest when Enemies of Reality came out.

Nevermore was a band I was a big fan of. Very strong in the arrangements of the compositions, able to putting a foot in Thrash at times and Warrel's voice was really original.

It's already 7 years since he left us. R.I.P Warrel Dane! 🤘🥲🤘