bands you like but are suppose to hate

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: bands you like but are suppose to hate Everybody has non-metal and/or mainstream stuff that they dig, so I don't know why it's a big deal. One of the guys on another forum I post on pretty much only talks about filthy death metal, black/thrash, and pagan black metal, but also loves Kittie. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

It's immaturity really. Once you get past a certain age, generally you will meet people who are tolerant enough to not make fun of you for the music you listen to. I listen to Atreyu. They aren't one of my favorite bands, but I enjoy some of their music.. I know they are not a "good" band and I would never defend them in a fight, but you like what you like. Who cares, really?

Disturbed. Simple, catchy Hard Rock with big choruses would seem incompatible with most of the other stuff I'm into and this genre is an area of music I rarely have time for. However, they're a band I grew up with and were partly responsible for getting me back into Metal after my brief Grunge obsession. Although it's not a band I'd say I "shouldn't like", I would also mention Ill Nino. If you're familiar with them, they mix heavy Groove/Nu Metal with a South American, specifically Latino twist (the south American Groove Metal element could be compared with Soulfly, Ektomorf, or Roots-era Sepultura), with poppy commercial rock (think Linkin Park, Three Days Grace etc.). Again, I generally dislike commercial Rock, but somehow I manage to enjoy the poppier side of what Ill Nino do almost as much as their heavier side. I dunno, the heaviness seems to make the big commercial almost Post-Grunge choruses palatable. Hardly a band for Hardcore Metalheads, though. Please don't judge me... Oh, and I don't entirely dislike a few ICP and Twiztid songs... OK, you can judge me... ;)

Artemisia For this most heinous act I hereby sentence you to 72 hours of death metal. During this time you are permitted to listen exclusively to the following bands: Alethian, Arsis, Benediction, Bolt Thrower, Brutality, Cadaver, Carcass, Death, Deceased, Dismember, Entombed, Gorguts, Hellwitch, Incantation, Immolation, Kronos, Merciless, Morbid Angel, Nile, Obituary and Sympathy. Failure to comply with this sentence will result in 1 year of Funeral Doom (which admittedly is only one song).

Who says you shouldn't like Soundgarden? Soundgarden rules.
Ban. He mostly bitches about the vocals but I love them. Bruce Dickinson said it best when he said they were a perfect combination of Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin. I couldn't agree more with him. He also hates Alice in Chains because of Layne's vocals but again I love them. Dude was talented.

Ban. He mostly bitches about the vocals but I love them. Bruce Dickinson said it best when he said they were a perfect combination of Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin. I couldn't agree more with him. He also hates Alice in Chains because of Layne's vocals but again I love them. Dude was talented.
You like a lot of stuff I don't get into, but I totally agree with you about Cornell and Staley. Two of my favorite vocalists, and I appreciate them even more as I get older. It's not just talent, they're beyond talent, especially Layne. He had that gift of really meaning what he was saying. I do know some other folks who don't like either vocalist, but they still acknowledge Cantrell's songwriting prowess and Soundgarden's musical skill. Audioslave, well, I can see how they'd belong in this thread, and their second and third albums have actually grown on me in the past two years... Confessions thread!

Re: bands you like but are suppose to hate

Wrong, Cornell's voice is one of the only things I like about them. Rusty Cage is a badass song, if they sounded like that all the time, with the nice groovy rocking with soaring vocals and then the heavy as fuck off time Sabbath stomp at the end, they would be great. Otherwise, they're pretty boring, pop song structures, dull riffs, and pretty much the same lame atmosphere/feeling as the other Seattle grunge bands of the time. Layne Staley was a terrible vocalist, and is my main complaint about AiC. Even without them though, their songs are much like Soundgarden's, and I'm not sure why people try to call them more metal than grunge. Jerry Cantrell's solo stuff has some good songs, and they're not only much more metal than AiC, they're more soulful, with his vocals fitting the music much better than Layne's whiney petting zoo vocals. Black Gives Way to Blue was actually pretty enjoyable for me, but it feels much more like one of Jerry's solo albums than an AiC album, but it retains the one cool idea that AiC had, but with better execution: the vocal harmonies. William's vocals have a great 70's tone, and he can actually harmonize without sounding like a hungry goat. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

What did you think of Dinosaurs? I didn't really like BGWTB till I got into Dinosaurs, and then for some reason it clicked for me. I'm glad they're developing a new take on their sound rather than just trying to relive the glory days. I wouldn't call their song structures "pop", at least not all the time; in fact a complaint of mine with them is that their songs are put together too awkwardly sometimes, and especially on the self titled album some of the songs are flat out lazy. But I must disagree with you about Layne's vocals. His studio work was phenomenal. I can understand how the sound quality might be off-putting to some people, but I would have thought you'd appreciate the true weirdness he had to offer. Dirt is in my top ten, and the unplugged video is kind of heartbreaking. Soundgarden, after seeing them live, I'd put on a whole different level from AIC. Their musicianship is top notch.Thayil is another oddball, and his riffs are deceptively simple. Their song arrangements are much more interesting than AIC. Maybe I just love these bands because I got into them during formative years, but I find it strange that you can have such an appreciation for Tool and not hear anything interesting in Soundgarden.