Beer/Ale/Lager Appreciation Thread

MacabreEternal

Haven't had those other German brews, again, living in Utah limits your selection. The Huari I had (plenty of) when I was in Bolivia 2 years ago. Bolivia's government owns and runs the largest brewery in the country, and they make that gem of a Czech Pilsner, in addition to a pretty good bock known simply as Bock. They've had a few microbreweries pop up recently which had some good stuff as well, but I can't remember their names. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Not really relevant to the thread, but, what were you in Bolivia for? How did you like it? The reason I ask is that one of our friends went down there for a month last year as part of her PhD program and lived with a host family. She fucking hated it, came back with nothing but horror stories. It sounds like you had a much better time than she did.

Re: Beer/Ale/Lager Appreciation Thread

Not really relevant to the thread' date=' but, what were you in Bolivia for? How did you like it? The reason I ask is that one of our friends went down there for a month last year as part of her PhD program and lived with a host family. She fucking hated it, came back with nothing but horror stories. It sounds like you had a much better time than she did.[/quote'] What part of the country was she in? We were in La Paz and Valencia most of the time, but we took a couple of short trips to Copacabana and Coroico too. We went because my friends are Bolivian and elected for my wife and I to be the godparents of their child (we're not Catholic, but it was a big deal to their families) and stayed for a couple of weeks after the baptism ceremony. I loved everything about it, the people were great and insanely hospitable, I loved the culture, the food, the mountains, everything, except maybe the widespread poverty. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure, I'll ask her. From what she said, the student group was all with host families in a really poor region, so they ate with them all the time, the food was terrible, she couldn't sleep well, and to top it all off they were working on therapy with hospitalized children. That's what she's going to school for - not a great idea, I don't think she can handle it that well. It didn't sound like there was an ounce of fun involved. I've never been to South America, but the poverty in Mexico was really striking to me, especially since we were only an hour or two south of San Diego, which seemed rich, yuppified, and artificial. Just south of the city, you start to see what that area would look like if it wasn't irrigated. Makes me a little angry. In Tijuana, mountainsides had become open landfills, the grocery store we went to had bare lightbulbs and a dirt floor, and people seemed far too eager to please the tourists. I wish I could go back in disguise or something. Back on topic, I'm having some Founder's Pale Ale and I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to trying it. I've had everything else they make, but not this excellent American classic.

So even though it's the depths of summer here in the city, it's that time of year... leaves and grass are withered and brown, and the larger craft brewers have decided to capitalize on the popularity of their fall flavors by releasing them early. So I'm drinking Sierra Nevada Tumbler and Harpoon Pumpkin Wheat Ale instead of the bitter, hoppy beers I'd prefer. All in all I can't complain, but please bring back Founder's Centennial IPA.

Had some Goose Island IPA last night - reminded me a lot of wheat beer considering how pale it actually was (man it was pale). Was really bitter which clashed a bit with the burnt orange taste that predominantly filled my mouth. Not bad just nothing special. Also tried some Nils Oscar "God Lager" - proof that if God does exist then he should stop fucking around brewing beer and get on with his day job. Not awful, just a bit "meh!"

I like Goose Island OK, but as you say it doesn't seem to stand out. It's probably closest in character to Brooklyn East India IPA. I guess that's the problem, though - when brewers try to stand out, we wind up with the "hop arms race". I had a few Founder's Centennial IPAs yesterday, which are excellent - Founder's in general is a cut above the rest. Don't know where you are, but if you're in the Northeast USA you must try Maine Beer's Peeper, Mo, or Zoe. That's how a hoppy beer should taste.

I am in England, I rely on imports largely to sample world beers (I don't get out much!). Until recently I was predominantly a stout/porter drinker but have been broadening my horizons. Had a lot of Brooklyn Lager and Samuel Adams Boston Lager of late - I love the spicy peppery notes of Brooklyn Lager. My favourite Pale Ale is Timothy Taylor's Landlord which has a really rich taste for a pale ale.

Nice! I've never heard of Timothy Taylor's. I'll see if we can get that. I'm lucky to be in a place with such a huge variety of beers, although there are a few really good brewers that don't distribute here. I like Brooklyn Lager on draft through a good clean line, though I've had bad experiences at bars that didn't maintain their equipment properly. My favorite Brooklyn beer from their regular lineup is the East India IPA I mentioned before, but it's very bitter, so might not be your thing. Their pilsner is also very nice for a lighter beer. England has some great beers, though, like Meantime, Samuel Smith, St. Peters, and even some Fuller's beers - I'm sure they're cheaper and fresher over there, too.

• 5 weeks later...

So, Brooklyn has just released this year's supply of Post Road Pumpkin Ale and Oktoberfest. Their Oktoberfest in particular is a very nice malty beer, well-suited to the change of season. Very nice cold - I usually like my beers a little warmer. I was surprised to read that they brew it in the Spring and store it cold for the Fall. It tastes very fresh. I suppose that makes sense with the style, though - lagers are fermented colder (that's what "lager" means, after all!) I'm already tired of the glut of pumpkin beers I'm seeing everywhere... they all kind of taste like cloves. It's a cheap trick. Post Road is decent, just like all the others. Nothing exciting. Sierra Nevada's Flipside Red IPA, however, is very nice indeed. Much like all of their other stuff. Less cloying malt than Torpedo, a little bit more body and quite a bit more hop character than their flagship Pale Ale. Highly recommended, by me anyway.:)

For fans of sour beers, I've just tried The Bruery's "Tart of Darkness", which is a dark sour ale. It's at least as sour as a Berliner Weiss with a nice dark malt backbone, no sweetness, and not much roast to it. A very good if unique beer that won't be to everyone's taste. I also just had Petrus's "Aged Pale Ale", which is less obviously sour, very dry, and has a nice herbal hop quality that balances out very well. Currently drinking a Green Flash Imperial IPA. You west coast people are lucky; I love this beer and it's a prime example of what west coast breweries do with hops. These flavors are remarkably fresh.

Beer is probably my main passion besides music and films. I have literally drank over 200 craft beers (really- I keep track on Untappd!), and I have never tried a sour or pumpkin ale... I shall look out for some, but I've not really seen any here in England. I have a real thing for Belgian beers. Last night I drank a Rochefort 8... Dark strong Belgian ale, which was bloody delicious! The Rochefort 10 was even better, though! Basically a richer and stronger (11%) version of 8! I really love American craft beer as well: especially IPAs: so will try and get my hands on the Green Flash Imperial IPA. Last month I went to the Great British Beer Festival in London and sampled some fucking awesome brews there... the best of which being a 'Hel & Verdoemenis' (Dutch for 'Hell & Damnation')... an Imperial Stout with a strong rum, whiskey and burnt sugar taste. One of the best beers I've had. Simply mind-blowing!

Re: Beer/Ale/Lager Appreciation Thread

Beer is probably my main passion besides music and films. I have literally drank over 200 craft beers (really- I keep track on Untappd!)' date=' and I have never tried a sour or pumpkin ale... I shall look out for some, but I've not really seen any here in England. I have a real thing for Belgian beers. Last night I drank a Rochefort 8... Dark strong Belgian ale, which was bloody delicious! The Rochefort 10 was even better, though! Basically a richer and stronger (11%) version of 8! I really love American craft beer as well: especially IPAs: so will try and get my hands on the Green Flash Imperial IPA. Last month I went to the Great British Beer Festival in London and sampled some fucking awesome brews there... the best of which being a 'Hel & Verdoemenis' (Dutch for 'Hell & Damnation')... an Imperial Stout with a strong rum, whiskey and burnt sugar taste. One of the best beers I've had. Simply mind-blowing![/quote'] Rochefort 10 is one of my very favorite beers, I place it at the top of the heap along with Schneider Aventinus. I haven't had many of the others that you mentioned, but the selection in my area is somewhat limited. I try new beers whenever I can though, I try to get something I've never had before whenever I see one available. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2