Beer/Ale/Lager Appreciation Thread

MacabreEternal

Now they're a brewery I have never seen in the city. I'll have to ask whether we can get it. Thanks for the recommendations' date=' guys.[/quote'] They're out of Oregon, and make some fantastic beers. One of my favorite stouts is their Abyss Imperial Stout, it's barrel aged and released in limited quantities each year. It's a bit pricey, but it's absurdly good.

Asahi is a solid Japanese-made Pilsner. Another one in that vein is Kirin Ichiban. I'd actually drink those! Both several notches above Heinie and our American piss water like Bud, Coors, or Miller. Another excellent Japanese brewery - though I don't think they make a Pilsner - is Hitachino. If you like wheat beers, their Hitachino Nest White Ale is awesome, and for a slightly different flavor, their Red Rice Ale is my personal favorite. A bit pricier than the other two makers, but well worth it for a splurge.

There's a very nice Australian Pilsner made by James Boag's. They make quite a few beers but that's the only one I've tried (a couple they brew are only available in Tasmania) I only started drinking beer a couple of years ago before that I only drank bourbon and whiskey. Below is a short list of beers I've tried and liked James Boag's Premium Lager - a Pilsner with an ABV of 5% Crown Lager - a Pilsner with an ABV of 5% James Squire's Golden Ale (I would love to try some of the other beers by this brewery particularly their IPA) Kingfisher Premium - ABV 5% Singha - ABV 9% Asahi Super Dry I like to try new beers whenever I can, those are the best I've come across so far but I've also had quite a few shockers

I've got a friend who came over here from Northern England, and when he got here Strongbow was his favorite drink. We've since corrupted him with our bitter American craft brews. I'm not much of a cider drinker anymore, it gives me a headache! If I was gonna go for some it would probably be Crispin's. We've also got Woodchuck, Hornsby's (that's English I think), Angry Orchard, and a bunch of others I haven't tried. And I'm pretty sure it's legal for parents to give their kids a little bit of alcohol in the home here too. Mine did occasionally, although I didn't really like it as a child. Even if it's not legal... who's to stop them?

I'm lucky to live in the land of relatively plentiful bourbon. That's what I drank until I developed a taste for beer in my early twenties. Good Scotch (Talisker is my personal favorite)... so delicious... but like you, I find it to be above my pay grade. I'm recently getting back into bourbon although that's expensive enough to keep me from buying much at all. Some good rye whiskeys out there, too - even cheap ones like Old Overholt are ok, and I just recently had the BEST rye - and one of the best liquors - I've ever had, from Willett distillery. Since I started brewing with friends a couple of years ago, my enjoyment of beer has increased even more... wait, is that possible?

RO - It figures that you get a lot of Indian/Asian beers down under. I've had Kingfisher and Singha and a few others that all tasted pretty similar. I've heard of Crown Lager but never had it, and I've never even heard of the other ones! I'd love to try them. Do you have local craft brewers where you live? Seems like a stupid question, but I honestly don't know. I really enjoy finding new beers. For the cheap lagers, I have to say that my favorites are the European ones like Zywiec and Tyskie. Baltika makes some really good beers for cheap, too. We have a large population of Polish and Russian immigrants here in Brooklyn, so it's not too hard to find their favorite beers.

Yeah in my state we have a couple of local brewers but unfortunately the best of them in my experience is only average. The better breweries all tend to be interstate. As for the Indian and Asian beers I tried those in resturaunts serving cuisine of those countries. Tried Singha in Thailand actually and considering the low ABV I found it had a fair whack to it though that could be the heat and humidity exemplifying the effects of alcohol, or the fact that I sculled two of them because someone waaaaaaaaay overdid it with the chilli and that's coming from someone who adores spicy food

I had a similar experience with Tecate (the beer) in Tecate (the town in Mexico where they make the beer). I slammed it, and it was delicious. I will only drink Tecate in Tecate, though, because every other time I've had it has been from a can, and it's been fucking horrible. I'm jealous you got to go to Asia. It's so expensive to travel from here that I've never really done it except for one trip to Montreal and a couple to western Mexico when we were visiting San Diego.

I suppose it's the same here, continental travel is reasonable. We need passports for Canada and Mexico now, which we didn't before, but you can still drive or take a bus pretty much anywhere you want. I've heard there's a lot more cultural traffic between Asia and Australia these days than there used to be - is that true? Is it easier to get to Asia from there?

RO - It figures that you get a lot of Indian/Asian beers down under. I've had Kingfisher and Singha and a few others that all tasted pretty similar. I've heard of Crown Lager but never had it, and I've never even heard of the other ones! I'd love to try them. Do you have local craft brewers where you live? Seems like a stupid question, but I honestly don't know. I really enjoy finding new beers. For the cheap lagers, I have to say that my favorites are the European ones like Zywiec and Tyskie. Baltika makes some really good beers for cheap, too. We have a large population of Polish and Russian immigrants here in Brooklyn, so it's not too hard to find their favorite beers.
For lagers, I'm mostly into doppelbocks, especially those of Ayinger and Schneider and Sons. I do love a nice bitter Czech pilsner though, Pilsner Urquel being a good example. There's a local brewpub called The Bohemian that was started by a Czech dude, and they make and excellent Czech pilsner. Oddly enough though, the best one I've ever had was one native to Bolivia called Huari, that shit was delicious.

Schneider makes great stuff. If you like the German beers - have you ever had anything by Schwelmer? They're an excellent brewery, though hard to find in the city (ONE tiny bar run by an actual German carries their stuff). Their Pilsner and Altbier still rank among my absolute favorites. I can't fault Brooklyn Pilsner either, nice bitterness and a good grainy flavor. For the past couple of years I've been into Gose - a style best exemplified by Bayerische & Bahnhof's classic brew, but also picked up pretty well by Westbrook here in the states. Where did you find the Huari? I've never heard of it, and now I'm intrigued.

Re: Beer/Ale/Lager Appreciation Thread

Schneider makes great stuff. If you like the German beers - have you ever had anything by Schwelmer? They're an excellent brewery, though hard to find in the city (ONE tiny bar run by an actual German carries their stuff). Their Pilsner and Altbier still rank among my absolute favorites. I can't fault Brooklyn Pilsner either, nice bitterness and a good grainy flavor. For the past couple of years I've been into Gose - a style best exemplified by Bayerische & Bahnhof's classic brew, but also picked up pretty well by Westbrook here in the states. Where did you find the Huari? I've never heard of it, and now I'm intrigued.
Haven't had those other German brews, again, living in Utah limits your selection. The Huari I had (plenty of) when I was in Bolivia 2 years ago. Bolivia's government owns and runs the largest brewery in the country, and they make that gem of a Czech Pilsner, in addition to a pretty good bock known simply as Bock. They've had a few microbreweries pop up recently which had some good stuff as well, but I can't remember their names. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2