What Are You Listening To?

khaos

DTP - Epicloud - Hold On

This song gives me all the feels...

Me too. It gives off a very worshipful tone to my ears, but then that might just be the church choirs and choir melodies that Dev puts into everything...'Save Our Now' was my favorite from that album though.

'Poor Man's Crusade' by Demons and Wizards.

The atmosphere is good, but the actual riffs seem kinda weak. Also, yippee, another song about the Crusades. Nobody's gunna top the IVth Crusade album by Bolt Thrower with regards to lyrics about the Crusades (since nobody wants to be anywhere near that nuanced and sympathetic) so it's galling that they keep trying.

...oh, bugger this-

'One Lifetime' by Persuader.

I like Demons And Wizards,  but that's far from my favorite track. I'd suggest that a sober and incisive examination of the Crusades might be found in something that isn't so obviously an ear-candy-oriented side project... What makes you feel like they're trying to "top" Bolt Thrower? 

I dunno, I just get prickly whenever bands write about the Crusades. I can count on one hand the number of songs I've ever heard about bad things done by persons purporting to represent literally any other religious group.

Black Sabbath- Master of Reality

I think I've given up on Opeth ever being what they were from My Arms Your Hearse to Blackwater Park.

They went from being the best progressive metal band on the planet to being just another progressive rock band.

Very Sad.

Black Sabbath- Master of Reality

I think I've given up on Opeth ever being what they were from My Arms Your Hearse to Blackwater Park.

They went from being the best progressive metal band on the planet to being just another progressive rock band.

Very Sad.

Well sure, but that didn't happen until well after Blackwater Park. Deliverance is their heaviest album, and one of my favorites, and Ghost Reveries and Watershed are also great albums. Damnation features them in full prog rock mode, and I think it's light years ahead of their new stuff, which seems like a different band altogether as opposed to lighter Opeth material. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Well sure, but that didn't happen until well after Blackwater Park. Deliverance is their heaviest album, and one of my favorites, and Ghost Reveries and Watershed are also great albums. Damnation features them in full prog rock mode, and I think it's light years ahead of their new stuff, which seems like a different band altogether as opposed to lighter Opeth material. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Except for Watershed, I agree completely. 

It's still strange to me that Watershed was a miss for you, as it wasn't far from the direction taken on Ghost Reveries, and while a bit less emotive, I'd say that it was probably better composed. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Maybe I'll give it another listen at some point. It took me years to accept Ghost Reveries, but now it's a favorite of mine, so who knows...

NP: Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor

I've really warmed up to this one in the past couple of years as well. 

Maybe I'll give it another listen at some point. It took me years to accept Ghost Reveries, but now it's a favorite of mine, so who knows...

NP: Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor

I've really warmed up to this one in the past couple of years as well. 

I was working at the record store when both Ghost Reveries and This Godless Endeavor were released. Since we were independent, we didn't need to adhere to release dates, and would just start selling albums as soon as the pre-orders that we had placed shipped and arrived. This was a good sales tactic, getting fans the albums before anyone else could, but it also meant that we got to crack them open and play them in the store and/or take them home before even the people we sold them to. It was a huge perk of working there that was only occasionally problematic (there was an error in the first pressing of Hypocrisy's Virus which made a clicking sound in one of the tracks), and invited the envy of many of our customers. We also often received promo/advanced copies from labels to generate ordering interest, so often times I would get to hear these albums weeks before anyone else besides employees at other independent stores. What I'm getting to is that both of these albums were ones that we had high hopes for, but ended up loving before most others had even heard them (Opeth more than Nevermore, but whatever). No Opeth album was ever a grower for me, especially not Ghost Reveries, which blew me away and lived up to my lofty expectations, and ranks among their best in my books, but I still think Watershed isn't far off. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

No Opeth album was ever a grower for me, especially not Ghost Reveries, which blew me away and lived up to my lofty expectations, and ranks among their best in my books, but I still think Watershed isn't far off. 

It took me a while for most of them. Orchid, and later Deliverance, were the most immediately appealing. I really fell in love with Morningrise, and I was slow to get on board with the sound they developed after that. I got MAYH when it came out and was initially disappointed. I'm always willing to give their stuff a shot when I'm in the right mood, because I never know if it's going to click, but so far everything from Watershed onward does nothing for me. 

Usually, for me, the albums that grab me instantly aren't the ones that become lifetime favorites; the ones I fight for are the ones that I end up loving the most. Or sometimes, they just suck... :D

Listened to a track from Infera Bruo's 2013 record - the only one they have available for streaming. Some impressive riffs and a good sound, I look forward to checking out more. 

It's pretty good. I wasn't too impressed when I first heard it though.

NP: St. Vincent - St. Vincent