Metal that doesn't carry on about religion or the devil?

AtWitsEnd

So I grew up listening to bands like Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir, Graveworm, Slayer and the like. Man, I LOVED Dimmu Borgir especially. Enthrone Darkness Triumphant is just beautiful. The epic, orchestral sounds that band comes out with... 'Entrance' gives me goosebumps.  Anyway, so I grew up and became a Christian. Now don't shake your head, I'm not one of the 'bad ones', no organised religion for me. And, well in short, part of the gig is to accept God as your father. Right? Problem!

Dimmu Borgir and Dani Filth basically think my father is a cunt and regularly sing about spitting and pissing on the sacred flesh of the Holy One etc... Blatant hatred for the most important person in my life. Imagine liking a band that continuously sang about your mum and how much they hate her. I just can't abide it. As much as they make amazing music, they have to go and RUIN it all with their garbage lyrics.

Why can't it be neutral? So you hate God? I hate gingerbread... Barely ever mention that fact though. Wouldn't even be so bad if they kept the subject matter but stopped with the venomous blasphemy. I can dig travelling through dark dimensions and blood storms etc. But the pissing on God? Nah. 

Anyway, are there any bands similar in sound to Dimmu or Cradle that DON'T carry on about these things in such a horrible manner?

I'm talking super fast double kicks, massive orchestras and haunting keyboard... The beauty of the music.

Have you tried some "white metal"? Hmmmm this is a taboo that only we (metal heads) have. You can't talk about the greatness of God using the black metal kind of playin/creating... Bullshit! The same happened with New Metal Years ago, and now Slipknot is one the greatest classic metal bands from the new millennium (I know they're from '90s)

Now The rapping thing is a way to write/sing, and the black/Death will become that too. But now, I don't think there are lots of bands like that. Anyway good luck! 

Symphonic stuff isn't really my cup of tea, but you might try some Borknagar, early Arcturus, or Diabolical Masquerade - nothing explicitly satanic as far as I recall. There's also a newer band called Khonsu that has symphonic and industrial elements, not sure but it might be up your alley. And on a more death metal tip there's always Septic Flesh. If you're looking for specifically Christian stuff I can't help you, but here's a thread for one of our old regulars that might have some stuff on topic (links are broken so you'll need to dig around for the music):

Hey thanks for the replies fellas. I'll check out the bands you listed and that thread, Give Me All Your Coffee.

Actually it's funny, ANewKind. I can't do 'White Metal', I tried. Nothing against the genre or whatever, it's just... Not the same. At least I haven't heard anything with the haunting beauty Dimmu Borgir was capable of.

After I let the above bands go (with a heavy heart), I was kinda like... Well, what now? I started moving into things like The Birthday Massacre (not exactly metal),  Disturbed, Nightwish and Apocalyptica. These bands had more of the sound I loved in Dimmu than anything else I could find, while keeping it blasphemy-free. But nothing has totally scratched the itch.

I'm not too strict. I mean, I can handle meaningless symbolism thrown around and criticism of religion, Warhammer 40k-esque themes and fantasy. Just not the blatant God-hate/blasphemy and Satanism.

20 hours ago, AtWitsEnd said:

So I grew up listening to bands like Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir, Graveworm, Slayer and the like. Man, I LOVED Dimmu Borgir especially. Enthrone Darkness Triumphant is just beautiful. The epic, orchestral sounds that band comes out with... 'Entrance' gives me goosebumps.  Anyway, so I grew up and became a Christian. Now don't shake your head, I'm not one of the 'bad ones', no organised religion for me. And, well in short, part of the gig is to accept God as your father. Right? Problem!

Dimmu Borgir and Dani Filth basically think my father is a cunt and regularly sing about spitting and pissing on the sacred flesh of the Holy One etc... Blatant hatred for the most important person in my life. Imagine liking a band that continuously sang about your mum and how much they hate her. I just can't abide it. As much as they make amazing music, they have to go and RUIN it all with their garbage lyrics.

Why can't it be neutral? So you hate God? I hate gingerbread... Barely ever mention that fact though. Wouldn't even be so bad if they kept the subject matter but stopped with the venomous blasphemy. I can dig travelling through dark dimensions and blood storms etc. But the pissing on God? Nah. 

To be clear before I start my reply proper, I am firstly an Atheist and secondly think that religion - although in essence is meant to be a positive thing, giving faith, hope etc to people - like most things is used far too often for nefarious political, cultural and criminal intent.  That’s human beings for you though.

I get your offence about the lyrics if this is something that is an important part of your life that CoF or DB are being insulting about.  However I would question the origin of the intent of these lyrics? How much is just for shock value first of all?  Do they actually believe what they write to be true or do they just say it to grab attention? How much of it is due to the artists own negative experience of religion?  If there’s a genuine personal story behind the lyrics I think it is just as much their right to voice that as it is yours to celebrate your faith. Less so, if they are just calling God a cunt because it makes angst ridden teenagers like them.

I still would rather an artist write “shocking” lyrics about religion as opposed to burn down a church which let’s face it is immature, ignorant and frankly juvenile on a multiplier of ten to the other behaviour we could categorise as the same.

I find it hard to alienate a band’s music because of their lyrical content (within reason - lyrics glorifying paedophilia for example are just unnecessary). Given my atheism I don’t understand your comparison of your parent and a deity. That’s not to say your view is invalid use because I don’t understand it, but if you were to write a song about how important God is to you, that’s your right because a) democracy and b) it is important to you and all good songwriters use their passions to write songs.

If CoF and DB want to write about their passion for their hatred of God, you might not understand it, you might be offended by it but they have that same right to do it regardless of the intent.  The intent/background just gives people the option to assess the validity of that expressed opinion based on their own beliefs.

Good luck with finding some new music anyway.

7 hours ago, Balor said:

You might want to check out Erebos.  It is an atmospheric bm (with some symphonic elements) band from Poland.  All of his music is instrumental.

https://erebos1349.bandcamp.com/

Also, do you play 40k?

Hey Balor, thanks for the band, I'll check them out asap. Instrumental is awesome as the listener can attribute their own meanings to the music or just enjoy it without a forced theme.

I played 40k as a teen, had a large Tyrannid horde (needed the numbers with that army) and would play on a custom board with a friend who collected Space Marines. Painting them became more of a chore towards the end and my money had to go elsewhere so it fizzled away.

1 hour ago, MacabreEternal said:

To be clear before I start my reply proper, I am firstly an Atheist and secondly think that religion - although in essence is meant to be a positive thing, giving faith, hope etc to people - like most things is used far too often for nefarious political, cultural and criminal intent.  That’s human beings for you though.

I get your offence about the lyrics if this is something that is an important part of your life that CoF or DB are being insulting about.  However I would question the origin of the intent of these lyrics? How much is just for shock value first of all?  Do they actually believe what they write to be true or do they just say it to grab attention? How much of it is due to the artists own negative experience of religion?  If there’s a genuine personal story behind the lyrics I think it is just as much their right to voice that as it is yours to celebrate your faith. Less so, if they are just calling God a cunt because it makes angst ridden teenagers like them.

I still would rather an artist write “shocking” lyrics about religion as opposed to burn down a church which let’s face it is immature, ignorant and frankly juvenile on a multiplier of ten to the other behaviour we could categorise as the same.

I find it hard to alienate a band’s music because of their lyrical content (within reason - lyrics glorifying paedophilia for example are just unnecessary). Given my atheism I don’t understand your comparison of your parent and a deity. That’s not to say your view is invalid use because I don’t understand it, but if you were to write a song about how important God is to you, that’s your right because a) democracy and b) it is important to you and all good songwriters use their passions to write songs.

If CoF and DB want to write about their passion for their hatred of God, you might not understand it, you might be offended by it but they have that same right to do it regardless of the intent.  The intent/background just gives people the option to assess the validity of that expressed opinion based on their own beliefs.

Good luck with finding some new music anyway.

Oh hey man, don't get me wrong. I am all about freedom. Everyone has the right to express themselves how they choose, even if I don't like their methods. Growing up in an indifferently agnostic home allowed me to form my own views regarding God and religion, unhindered by dogma and denomination. I have my own, strong opinions regarding religion. I am WELL aware of it's bad side and the people it has affected.

It's really just a personal thing with the lyrics. If they had instrumental versions of their tracks then I'd have nothing to say. I listen to plenty of bands who's members are secular or against the idea of God. The difference is that it's something they tend to keep out of their music, which allows me to enjoy it. Now Dimmu and Cradle can absolutely sing about whatever they like, only I personally cannot enjoy their music with such blasphemous lyrics. If they wanted to rage against priests and religion itself then I would have no issue. I do not believe that God and religion are mutually inclusive.  But to bring God Himself into it on such a venomously blasphemous level and Dimmu's strong satanically religious influences are too much for me.

1 hour ago, AtWitsEnd said:

I played 40k as a teen, had a large Tyrannid horde (needed the numbers with that army) and would play on a custom board with a friend who collected Space Marines. Painting them became more of a chore towards the end and my money had to go elsewhere so it fizzled away.

I have always wanted to get some of the Tyrannid kits.  I collect Chaos (mostly Daemons), but also have some Imperial units.  I mostly paint, and have only played twice.

• 4 months later...
On 8/16/2018 at 10:33 AM, AtWitsEnd said:

Anyway, are there any bands similar in sound to Dimmu or Cradle that DON'T carry on about these things in such a horrible manner?

I'm talking super fast double kicks, massive orchestras and haunting keyboard... The beauty of the music.

Interesting conundrum. 

If you can't look at the lyrics of Cradle and Dimmu as more symbolism then perhaps you could try the following bands: 

Septicflesh. Especially their 'Communion' and 'The Great Mass' albums. These have religious titles, but they aren't strictly anti-christian and instead are more based around mythology and epic historical ideas. Amazing use of orchestra and choirs too. Fleshgod Apocalypse as well, an amazing band. 

Then there are gothic metal bands like Threatre of Tragedy and Tristiania, especially their 1995-1998 eras. Beautiful music with a lot of darkness but no specifically anti-christian material if memory serves. 

My advice though would be to take your religion seriously but not let it get in the way of you enjoying music/movies/art that may present a darker side to life and employ the symbolism of rebellion. Easier said than done, I guess. 

Good luck. 

There are also a heap of great Emperor and Burzum tracks that aren't expressly anti-christian. For instance, most of 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk' is about nature and darkness. The more I think about it, the more I realise there are quite a few fantastic black metal albums that don't deal with satanic themes. 

Come to think of it, Cradle's albums like 'Vempire', 'Dusk and Her Embrace' and 'Cruelty and the Beast' aren't really anti-christian anyway. They're more vampiric/historic with a couple of cracks here and there to historic religion that most Christians worth their salt could probably deal with.